Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car broken into

Options
  • 16-08-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

Just looking for some advice. I got a call today to say our car had its window smashed and ransacked today from the LL.Landlords office is underneath our place and we have 'secure' parking out the back. There is a set of steel gates which all tenants have keys for. The LL was popping in for a few minutes and left these gates open and that's when they broke in. She admits she left them open cause she was only a few minutes.
    Also, the security cameras on the wall do not work. She said they hadn't been connected in a long time. I've since had the window fixed on insurance but autoglass only do glass. I need a part the broke inside the door too which will cost.
    Where do I stand on this. She is brushing it off saying it was only five minutes open and 'ah sure them cameras haven't worked in ages'

To be honest, listening to stories from other tenants it's not the first time. Someone tried the door to their apartment not so long ago.

In the contract, they can terminate due to non payment, bad behaviour or general fear of something bad going to happen. Do I have the same rights. Fear of something going to happen. Fear that my place or car will be targeted again.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

A majority of criminals are opportunitists. They see an opportunity and take advantage of it, in your case the open door of the car park. Even if they had CCTV it probably wouldn't have been useless( a majority of CCTV cameras in Ireland are like old camera phone qualities).

I can't see you entitled to anything. You parked at your own risk. The same if you parked in a shopping centre car park and you were broken into. The shopping centre won't pay out. I presume you must have had valuables in clear view for them to have a reason to break into your car. Never have anything visible even if your in a safe area.

I seriously can't see them breaking into your car again. It's was an opportunity crime and not a tiger kidnapping planned for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Absolutely nothing visible in the car. Nothing was taken. The thing is, I'm paying for secure parking. Its not secure if gates are left open and the cameras don't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Slunk wrote: »
    The thing is, I'm paying for secure parking. Its not secure if gates are left open and the cameras don't work.

And, just curious, but, what is the definition of this "secure parking"? Is it that parking is 100% secure 100% of the time?

Nothing is ever fully secure. People can always get in.

There is almost nothing you can do.

But if the gates were locked they wouldn't have had the opportunity to break in

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Unless the lease guarantees 100% the security of your vehicle (which it wont) as opposed to "secure parking" (which amounts to little more than a gate usually) then I dont see how anyone will be seen as being liable for this unfortunately. Even if the landlord admitted to leaving the gate open, the reality is that if anyone wanted in badly enough they would just wait until someone was coming out and sneak in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

But if the gates were locked they wouldn't have had the opportunity to break in

Would you like to put a time limit on how long the gates can be left open before you can say they're not secure? What about the amount of time it takes you to go in and park before going back to lock them ?

Secure parking does not mean you park in Fort Knox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

"general fear of something bad going to happen" is in your rental contract? Thats a new one! If so, well you have proof and grounds to raise this issue as a reason to move out.

To be honest, if said crims did that to your car(or any other) just upon seeing said gates open, i'd move anyway. They are more than likely from another estate nearby, usually is. That means they are local and said violence can happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

She admits she left them open cause she was only a few minutes.
    I'd use it to break the lease, and get out with your deposit. If your car got broken into when the gate was only open a few minutes, it probably means the gate is within site of a couple of scumbags who'll target it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

hfallada wrote: »
    I can't see you entitled to anything. You parked at your own risk. The same if you parked in a shopping centre car park and you were broken into. The shopping centre won't pay out.

They will pay out if they had security personell employed to monitor the car park as it would be due to their negligence that the theft took place, this could be seen as the same situation as the cameras give a false sense of security which if known they did not work or that the landlady was in the habit of leaving the security gate open the op may have reconsidered parking where they did!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

foggy_lad wrote: »
    They will pay out if they had security personell employed to monitor the car park as it would be due to their negligence that the theft took place, this could be seen as the same situation as the cameras give a false sense of security which if known they did not work or that the landlady was in the habit of leaving the security gate open the op may have reconsidered parking where they did!
    No they won't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

did you know that the cameras were not working?

Nope, only found out when the gaurds asked for footage. I asked her again to keep the gates closed and she said she will try but it may inconvenience her in and out. Try the inconvenience of your car been broken into ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,865 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Nope, only found out when the gaurds asked for footage. I asked her again to keep the gates closed and she said she will try but it may inconvenience her in and out. Try the inconvenience of your car been broken into ffs.

I'd tell her you're moving out so and expect your full deposit, or if you're happy otherwise with the place, that you'll be sending her the bill the next time it happens because of her negligence. She'd be quick enough to charge you for damage to the cooker I bet, nor do I think she'd take the same line if it had been her car that had been broken into.

I can't stand these BTL types who think that because you're renting you aren't entitled to a bit of security (physically and otherwise) and basic respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    I can't stand these BTL types who think that because you're renting you aren't entitled to a bit of security (physically and otherwise) and basic respect.

Your no more entitled to security than anybody else. Its not the LL's job to guarantee your security, once the property is secure and that's not in dispute here.

The OP has no right to bill or threaten to bill the LL for their car being broken into unless there's a specific guarantee in any lease agreement that says their car wont be broken into which of course there isn't because it would be a nonsense clause to have.

Its bad luck that their window was smashed but that's it could happen anywhere and arguing that it wouldn't happen if the gate was closes is a joke.

That's no more reasonable a statement than somebody saying they shouldn't be responsible for crashing into somebody elses car because if they weren't driving it at the time it wouldn't happen ....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,328 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

D3PO wrote: »
    Your no more entitled to security than anybody else. Its not the LL's job to guarantee your security, once the property is secure and that's not in dispute here.

The OP has no right to bill or threaten to bill the LL for their car being broken into unless there's a specific guarantee in any lease agreement that says their car wont be broken into which of course there isn't because it would be a nonsense clause to have.

Its bad luck that their window was smashed but that's it could happen anywhere and arguing that it wouldn't happen if the gate was closes is a joke.

That's no more reasonable a statement than somebody saying they shouldn't be responsible for crashing into somebody elses car because if they weren't driving it at the time it wouldn't happen ....

The damage seems to be a direct result of the choice of the landlord to remove the security (leaving the gate unlocked) and there is a potential cause of action depending on the detail of the contract for the provision of a secured parking space. It's not a guarantee but the link between causation and result is notable.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The damage seems to be a direct result of the choice of the landlord to remove the security (leaving the gate unlocked) and there is a potential cause of action depending on the detail of the contract for the provision of a secured parking space. It's not a guarantee but the link between causation and result is notable.

If the OP wants to pay for a solicitor and see where they get there free to do so. I think it would be a waste of money.

Secure parking is not a guarantee that nothing will happen to your vehicle any more than an alarm is a guarantee that your property wont get robbed.

A LL isn't libel if a tenant had property robbed from a house or apartment because the alarm in the property was not working and there are PRTB rulings to that effect, I don't see this as any different.

If the OP wants to pay for a solicitor and see where they get there free to do so. I think it would be a waste of money.

Secure parking is not a guarantee that nothing will happen to your vehicle any more than an alarm is a guarantee that your property wont get robbed.

A LL isn't libel if a tenant had property robbed from a house or apartment because the alarm in the property was not working and there are PRTB rulings to that effect, I don't see this as any different.
    But surely where the landlady's negligence caused the incursion and damage she then becomes liable just as when a car park has security but they fail to prevent damage to cars from kids messing around with trolleys the management become liable for the damage.

Not locking a gate is not negligence, unless contractually they have agreed that the gate will remain locked at all times. Which there is no suggestion is the case here.

Not locking a gate is not negligence, unless contractually they have agreed that the gate will remain locked at all times. Which there is no suggestion is the case here.
    I thought the gate was left wide open and not just unlocked?

its not clear from the opening post you might be right. Either way I still don't believe its negligence. Is it worth paying a solicitor to find out bearing in mind the cost, the likelihood of winning, plus the damage to the relationship with the LL ?

Probably not, but if the OP does Id be interested in hearing the outcome.

• Advertisement

Nor are you entitled to LESS security because your landlord can't be bothered to close the gate after them because it might "inconvenience" her (her words per the OP). By doing so she voided the security of the property

Again you're missing the point here.. the incident happened because opportunistic thieves saw a secured gate left open by the OP's landlord (again by her own admission) and took advantage of it.

That makes her negligent, lazy (something she admits twice - "only there a few minutes", closing it might "inconvenience" her) and liable IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Nor are you entitled to LESS security because your landlord can't be bothered to close the gate after them because it might "inconvenience" her (her words per the OP). By doing so she voided the security of the property

Again you're missing the point here.. the incident happened because opportunistic thieves saw a secured gate left open by the OP's landlord (again by her own admission) and took advantage of it.

That makes her negligent, lazy (something she admits twice - "only there a few minutes", closing it might "inconvenience" her) and liable IMO

It wasn't that the landlord couldn't be bothered but that it was unexpected that a car could be broken into with the gates open for five minutes. As there is no contract of absolute security then the landlords actions would be very reasonable.

it makes her lazy but lazy is not negligent.

As for it happening because opportunistic thieves who took advantage of a situation you cant prove that, your probably right but cannot prove that it wouldn't have happened even if the gates were closed.

So the whole argument falls apart. Like I said the OP is free to engage a solicitor but it is very likely to be a waste of money.

Lets put it this way would you loan the OP the money for the legal fees with the agreement that you would get the money back plus 10% if they win but get nothing back if they lose the case ? I don't think anybody would yet if it was as black and white as you try to make it seem then it would be a no brainer right ?

It wasn't that the landlord couldn't be bothered but that it was unexpected that a car could be broken into with the gates open for five minutes. As there is no contract of absolute security then the landlords actions would be very reasonable.

There is a locked gate there for the purposes of maintaining security in the complex. By her own admission the OP's landlord left this gate open as she "was only there 5 minutes" and when the OP asked (post break-in) that she not do this in future she said she'll "try but it may inconvenience her" (which logically then is why she didn't close/lock it behind her in the first place)

That's the very definition of couldn't be bothered/lazy. You can be sure that if it had been her own car that the thieves had targeted she wouldn't be taking such a blasé approach to it, but what annoys me more about this story is her "still can't be arsed" attitude after the fact.

Dependent on cost I personally would take her to court for the damage to the car, if only to make the point to the lazy <insert term of choice here>

you cant sue somebody for being lazy though Kaiser. It would be a waste of money by the OP.

I don't disagree with anything you have just posted but you cant just expect to sue somebody and win for that reason.

you cant sue somebody for being lazy though Kaiser. It would be a waste of money by the OP.

I don't disagree with anything you have just posted but you cant just expect to sue somebody and win for that reason.

Could you not take it through the small claims court? I'm no legal expert and I've never used it but I think it's fairly cheap. At this point for me it'd be more about modifying her attitude to damage to my property as a result of her laziness - especially as I'm paying her for the privilege.

It would be worth the OP reading his lease/complex rules though to see what it says in relation to the gate as well.

If the gate was left opened on a regular basis by all and sundry and everyone and their aunty knew the code to open it there would be no expectations of security but because the gate was/is kept locked by the people in the complex then the op has a reasonable expectation of it being secure. This security was removed by the landlady's negligence by leaving the gate open because ahe was lazy/bone idle/too important to close gates behind herself.

Could you not take it through the small claims court? I'm no legal expert and I've never used it but I think it's fairly cheap. At this point for me it'd be more about modifying her attitude to damage to my property as a result of her laziness - especially as I'm paying her for the privilege.

It would be worth the OP reading his lease/complex rules though to see what it says in relation to the gate as well.

Im not a legal expert but I don't think this would fall under the remit of the small claims court. I could be wrong though.

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If the gate was left opened on a regular basis by all and sundry and everyone and their aunty knew the code to open it there would be no expectations of security but because the gate was/is kept locked by the people in the complex then the op has a reasonable expectation of it being secure. This security was removed by the landlady's negligence by leaving the gate open because ahe was lazy/bone idle/too important to close gates behind herself.

But the OP admits it wasn't the first time or even the second time the gate was left open therefore the expectation of total security as you mention in the first part of your post would be negated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

This is just a classic case of people saying what should happen in their eyes versus reality. Limited liability applies.

Advertisement