Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning a Hen

• 16-08-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey ladies,

Im not sure if this is the section I should be posting this in but I was wondering what is the best way to plan a hen party, should I use a company and a package deal or just do it separately. Its my first time being a chief bridesmaid. We are looking at Galway or Carrick on Shannon. Struggling a bit and the other bridesmaids live in the UK. Any advice? :o
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

If you're not even leaving the country, I'd book it myself. Find out how many people are going, get prices from a couple of hotels and tell everyone how much they owe. Do not pay for anything other than your own share, people can be very flaky otherwise. Pay for rooms in advance so that's sorted before you go.

If you're booking a restaurant make sure it has a wide range as typically somebody in the group will be a fussy eater. Set menu where you can say right, that's €20 each or something and sort drinks out separately.

Sorry if that's not the kind of advice you were looking for, did it once for my best friend almost 40 of us went to Liverpool. Myself and her sister organised it, hard work but good fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

I've organised Carrick on Shannon - easy enough, Stayed in the Bush Hotel (3 to a room) for @50 each incl breakfast which was served until about 12 I think which was fantastic. We were only there a night but did the standard, Dinner and Drinks.

You will find that Carrick follows a route for hens, maybe a pub or two, Dunnes and then Murtaghs late bar. This may or may not appeal to you - its like a hen cattlemart!!!

For us we had some pregnant women on the hen so Carrick was good because everything was on the same street and they could pop home in 2 mins if they'd had enough and there were no taxis to worry about.

Galway I've been to also and love it as a city to visit anytime - however it is bigger and there are more options and organising involved.

I'd second the set menu bit so that everything is quicker and less moaning that there is always one who has the fillet steak and scallops!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Westport_belle

Westport is a great place for a hen party....I've been there for a few and it's always been great craic. The castlecourt hotel seem to so good deals, and a cocktail making demonstration (if your group would be interested in that). Loads of choices of restaurants and pubs as well.

I'd definitely organise it myself. It can be a bit frustrating when people pull out, as they inevitably will, but it's really not as complicated as some of the hen party companies would like you to think. All that's involved really is booking the accommodation and the meal.
    Golden rule for the organiser is if you're being asked to pay for anything in advance, don't pay it out of your own pocket!

Hope it goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 butterflydream

thanks for all the suggestions. I think I will do it myself instead of the package as it seems the better option

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Get a deposit from everyone sharpish. After organising two hens, I can tell you it will save you a lot of stress down the road if/when someone decides to flake out.

ETA: I know that wasn't your initial question--just had to give that advice. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Try www.henparty.ie

Friend of mine did the Carlow package last year and it was great fun.. they organize your Hotel (The Dolmen), day activity (roller disco or cocktail making class) Your evening meal (some Italian place) shots in Scraggs Alley and then admission into The Foundry which is a brilliant nightclub and a reserved area for your group.. oh and breakfast the next morning.

All for €99 each.. Not bad imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Galway is very good for a hen party. Westport is too. Cork or Kilkenny be another suggestion. Carlow and Ennis be good too so I hear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I am planning a hen right now. Finding it a bit overwhelming. It's for 2 nights in mid March, 15 people, need one night to be a 'beauty' night in (hire beauticians or something) and one to be a classy evening out.

Has to be no more than about 2 hours drive from Dublin (no Donegals).

Was looking for those lodges/holiday homes on the site of hotels. Want it to be near enough to a decent sized town which rules some places out.

My top choice is already booked out for both suitable weekends even though it's more than 6 months away.

Needs to be classy but not crazy expensive. Gahhh...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Greenfigure

I'm looking into Glamping in Tea Pot Lane, with a bit of Masterchef thrown in since we can cook ourselves! The Bride to Be is a huge fan of Masterchef. Then the next night in the nearest town, for a meal then nightclub. It's more than 10 months away but I've already preliminary booked it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 choppy66

Wow I'm scared now ! I have to organise my friends hens for next year and I know it's gonna be tricky as some of them will be coming from the uk .
    I like the idea of someone else organising it and doing maybe a booze cruise in Shannon !
    Does anyone know if they are any good for some older ladies that will be with us 50/60+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

I organised a hen recently and it was brilliant fun, there were 11 and budget was a factor for some so we stayed local. This is what we did:
    • Afternoon - I organised a craft workshop where we all made our own silly knickers with all sorts of sequins and ribbons and things; the bride had to choose the winning pair at the end and we got her to put them on. The workshop included a glass of bubbly for everyone.
    • 5pm ish - everyone came back to my house where I had prepared a cold buffet and lots of wine. I had made a Mr & Mrs quiz on video, we gave the hen a photo book we made, we made origami penises and generally sat around being silly and chatty. Again emphasis on lots of wine!
    • 8pm we went into town for dinner in a restaurant - after that we went dancing in a nightclub until it closed.
    Everyone said it was a really relaxed and fun hen party, no major stress in terms of money and everyone could go home to their own bed afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 414 ✭✭what2do

choppy66 wrote: »
    Wow I'm scared now ! I have to organise my friends hens for next year and I know it's gonna be tricky as some of them will be coming from the uk .
    I like the idea of someone else organising it and doing maybe a booze cruise in Shannon !
    Does anyone know if they are any good for some older ladies that will be with us 50/60+

My thoughts are that if some are coming from the UK that you plan to be nearish an airport - whilst it can be a pain travelling once you arrive somewhere, it is waaaaay worse if en route home when you are tired that you have a long journey to the airport.

Advertisement