Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mens Clothes Shops Limerick

• 16-08-2013 7:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

hey i would like to know some shops that sell men's clothes as it has gone down and down over the past couple of years so what shops do you recommend now and what shops do you get your clothes at?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Brown Thomas, River Island, Zara, Next. That's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

It's a matter of personal taste I suppose but I prefer the independent shops, like for example the Tony Connolly shops on Patrick Street or Ken Sextons shop on Thomas Street.

They make the extra effort by travelling to the mens fashion fairs on the continent year in, year out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,338 ✭✭✭✭phog

I used to shop in Noel Andrews on Thomas St, stopped for no great reason, not sure what gear he has available nowadays. Might be worth a snope.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

There's no men's section in shops like H&M, Newlook etc in Limerick compared to Galway and Cork. Also Topman isn't in Limerick either but again it's in both Galway and Cork. There's also no Urban Outfitters,Bershka,Pull and Bear,All Saints, Jack Wills, Fat Face,Ted Baker, Gap etc. There's obviously no demand for these and this can be seen when comparing how men dress in Limerick on a Saturday night compared to Dublin. Maybe the fact that Dublin and Cork have bars/clubs where your appearance matters in that you will only be permitted entry if you fit the image that they're looking for..well dressed/trendy!!Limerick doesn't have a bar or club like those so seeing guys in Wrangler Jeans, Check shirts and Jack Jones T-shirts isn't a suprise in bars in Limerick on a night out!Almost never will you see men parade into Icon or Nancy Blakes in a blazer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Maybe if those shops were in Limerick, people might dress better. Personally, I think Limerick has a pretty bad choice for mens clothes in Limerick. BTs seems to mainly cater for people who wish to dress like a Yale WASP graduate, there's very little "out there" clothes options in Limerick. It tends to be quite safe. I won't blame the shops for that though....

• Advertisement

I've spent time in the UK and it's like a different world in how men dress over there...skinny jeans,blazers,low cut tight muscle tops etc and this is regarded as completely normal and accepted. Could you imagine rocking into Nancy Blakes with a pair of skinny jeans muscle top and blazer. I used to even get comments when out in Limerick when I'd wear a leather jacket in the winter if I was in a boy band.I suppose Limerick is essentially a big town 2 hours down the country away from civilization with Dublin being the only place with a decent population.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I've spent time in the UK and it's like a different world in how men dress over there...skinny jeans,blazers,low cut tight muscle tops etc and this is regarded as completely normal and accepted. Could you imagine rocking into Nancy Blakes with a pair of skinny jeans muscle top and blazer. I used to even get comments when out in Limerick when I'd wear a leather jacket in the winter if I was in a boy band.I suppose Limerick is essentially a big town 2 hours down the country away from civilization with Dublin being the only place with a decent population.

Just because that's your opinion of how someone should dress doesn't mean it's everyones opinion. It's a free country and your allowed to wear what you like.
    I honestly have no idea why your so worried about what guys in Limerick wear anyway. From frequenting Nancys and the Icon over the years, what the guys are wearing definitely isn't putting off the ladies and that's all that counts.

Just because that's your opinion of how someone should dress doesn't mean it's everyones opinion. It's a free country and your allowed to wear what you like.
    I honestly have no idea why your so worried about what guys in Limerick wear anyway. From frequenting Nancys and the Icon over the years, what the guys are wearing definitely isn't putting off the ladies and that's all that counts.

Its most of our opinions to be honest. Some people do dress like freaks these days

Its most of our opinions to be honest. Some people do dress like freaks these days

Explain dress like freaks. Most I see out are wearing jeans and shirt/t-shirt. They may not be skinny jeans and muscle shirts, but it's hardly dressing like freaks.

Maybe it's just me but I'd be more concerned about the person wearing the clothes than what they wear.

• Advertisement

I don't know why my opinion has hit a raw nerve with you but I never said that's how people should dress???And I never said it's everyone's opinion either. I don't think anything I've said should have offended anyone and I certainly don't come on here if I'm having a bad day or bitter to let rip like some posters.The original poster asked a question about men's shops in Limerick and I listed that most well known brands are not present in the city because obviously the demand isn't there compared to Dublin,Cork and Galway. I'm not saying everyone should wear skinny jeans etc but pointing out the fact that there's a demand for stores that stock these clothes in the UK and Dublin in comparison with Limerick can be seen throughout any of the cities in Britain and Ireland on a Sat night. I'm also not worried about what lads wear in Limerick on a night out either. And I agree with you that it is a free country and I'm very open minded on what people wear..who am I to judge at the end of the day. As for the ladies in Icon..it's all relative..local women in general will prefer what is the 'norm' in the town they've grown up in..very little women from down the country like the Only way is Essex/Geordie Shore look whereas in the UK I know loads of women that are mad for that. I'm not saying that anyone should dress like this and I'm very aware that everyone has their own taste and style etc..but I'm just using those examples to point out how stores that stock clothing like this locate in certain areas where the demand is there and where they will make money.

phog wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but I'd be more concerned about the person wearing the clothes than what they wear.

I agree with you here and it would be a perfect world it everyone had the same way of thinking but as an adult I'm not naive enough to think that people don't have an instant impression of someone based on their appearance before they even open their mouth..especially in a social setting.

Seriously though who would WANT to dress like a geordie shore eejit in a low cut muscle top around anywhere,not to mind Limerick. Ladies who are attracted to the meat head/geordie shore type would not be on my radar in whatever city I'm in. But an abscence of really cool clothes shops in Limk...

I don't know why my opinion has hit a raw nerve with you but I never said that's how people should dress???And I never said it's everyone's opinion either. I don't think anything I've said should have offended anyone and I certainly don't come on here if I having a bad day or bitter to let rip like some posters.The original poster asked a question about men's shops in Limerick and I listed that most well known brands are not present in the city because obviously the demand isn't there compared to Dublin,Cork and Galway. I'm not saying everyone should wear skinny jeans etc but pointing out the fact that there's a demand for stores that stock these clothes in the UK and Dublin in comparison with Limerick can be seen throughout any of the cities in Britain and Ireland on a Sat night. I'm also not worried about what lads wear in Limerick on a night out either. And I agree with you that it is a free country and I'm very open minded on what people wear..who am I to judge at the end of the day. As for the ladies in Icon..it's all relative..local women in general will prefer what is the 'norm' in the town they've grown up in..very little women from down the country like the Only way is Essex/Geordie Shore look whereas in the UK I know loads of women that are mad for that. I'm not saying that anyone should dress like this and I'm very aware that everyone has their own taste and style etc..but I'm just using those examples to point out how stores that stock clothing like this locate in certain areas where the demand is there and where they will make money.

Whoa there. Calm down dude. I think it's you that has the raw nerve here.
    I totally agree that there aren't enough mens clothes shops in Limerick. There havn't been enough mens clothes shops in Limerick for at least 20 years.
    However do you then go on to put down the fine gents of limerick with this
    Maybe the fact that Dublin and Cork have bars/clubs where your appearance matters in that you will only be permitted entry if you fit the image that they're looking for..well dressed/trendy!!Limerick doesn't have a bar or club like those so seeing guys in Wrangler Jeans, Check shirts and Jack Jones T-shirts isn't a suprise in bars in Limerick on a night out!Almost never will you see men parade into Icon or Nancy Blakes in a blazer.

And this
    I suppose Limerick is essentially a big town 2 hours down the country away from civilization with Dublin being the only place with a decent population.

If you find nothing wrong with what the fine gents of Limerick wear why the above rants?

Whoa there. Calm down dude. I think it's you that has the raw nerve here.
    I totally agree that there aren't enough mens clothes shops in Limerick. There havn't been enough mens clothes shops in Limerick for at least 20 years.
    However do you then go on to put down the fine gents of limerick with this

And this

If you find nothing wrong with what the fine gents of Limerick wear why the above rants?

I'm very calm and I wasn't ranting..it's all fact. You're just twisting what I've said. How is saying that Limerick is pretty much a big town down the country putting down the 'fine gents' of Limerick?Limerick is a small place..that's not a negative thing!And how is saying that Limerick has no exclusive bars/clubs where you have to be very dressed up to get in slagging Limerick men?For some people Limerick being a relaxed place in regards to how you dress on a night out can be a good thing..each to their own.

I agree with you here and it would be a perfect world it everyone had the same way of thinking but as an adult I'm not naive enough to think that people don't have an instant impression of someone based on their appearance before they even open their mouth..especially in a social setting.

So in your view a guy in skinny jeans is probably going to be a nicer person than a guy in "ordinary" jeans.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pa limerick

But even as a teenager there is barely any choice in shops unless I want jack Jones t shirts(and even now the jack Jones store in the crescent is being rebranded) we need men's sections in H&M and New Look and new stores like top man,Bershka and other stores like that. I find easier to get the bus up to Dublin every couple of months than going into town or even the crescent as I know there is a lot of choice and brands. Its even cheaper to go up to Dublin with the offer Bus Eireann is running (€5one way and €10 return if booked online)

phog wrote: »
    So in your view a guy in skinny jeans is probably going to be a nicer person than a guy in "ordinary" jeans.

Where are you getting that from..how is that my view...People get judged for what they wear..a previous poster said earlier who would like to dress like a meat head from Geordie Shore..perfect example!If you go out clubbing in central London you are judged before you open your mouth as to if you look good enough to get into a club. You will not get into Movida or most of the other Westend clubs if you're wearing a Jack&Jones T shirt. That's why Limerick can be good as it's more relaxed. The whole point of this thread is that there's very little choice in Limerick for men's clothes and that many of the well known men's stores that aren't in Limerick stock clothing mentioned that isn't in demand in Limerick maybe due to the fact that clubs have a more relaxed dress code...what's the big deal..no need to be getting defensive..I don't make the rules...just nitpicking to let off steam obviously.

What about if you want to dress well but don't have any interest in posing in twat clubs like you find in the westend of London? You're assuming that Limerick people have no desire want to dress up in order to frequent these places? I am all for looking unique and stylish (as opposed to trendy) but would have no wish to stand around in an overpriced twat club talking to shallow twats bading what I am like as a person based on the shoes I am wearing. You get a lot of this in London but with 10 million,it's bound to happen. Limerick doesn't need a Dalston or Shoreditch type hipster scene. It's too small for it anyhow. But I do pretty much all of my clothes shopping online or in Dublin as I like to try and wear slightly different stuff. There just isn't much choice in Limerick. You do see plenty of people smartly dressed in Limerick. Just depends where you go.

Dress code in town in general is casual and I like that.

Personally I think any place you have to really dress up to get into in order to have a relaxing pint ain't worth going to.

BTs potentially could have some really good clobber, but seems to go for the safer options, which is fair enough I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Different folks, different strokes. If I had to wear a muscle top, skinny jeans and a blazer to get into any club, i'd rather not go in tbh. Aside from anything else I think that "look" is really really awful and i wouldnt consider that "dressed up" either...but each to their own and all that.

Wear what you like, but don't expect the rest of us to follow.

However I do agree, the choice of mens shops in Limerick is terrible.

• Advertisement
Advertisement