Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobiel Phone Contract

Options
  • 16-08-2013 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

When a mobile contract is finished do you have to inform the operator that you do not wish to enter into another contract with them before you go to another operator? My wife went into arrears with Vodafone. It was passed onto a collection agency. She payed off the outstanding amount that was owed. She also payed what would be approx. 7 months of another year that Vodafone said she owened through breach of contract. The collection agency is still looking for the approx. remaining amount to cover the year.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

All mobile contracts would automatically go on with automatic monthly renewal (hence the need to give notice if you wish to end it) but I can't recall a contract that would go into another 1/2 year term; did she get a new phone or change her plan (both would trigger a new contract)?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭heartofarebel

She got a new phone around 6 months before the disconnection. She did offer to pay three quarters of the arrears and finish it the next week just to turn it on because she's a carer for her mother and needed it in case of emergency but they said no. So since they cancelled the contract rather than my wife, would she still be liable to pay for a full 12 contract?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

She got a new phone around 6 months before the disconnection. She did offer to pay three quarters of the arrears and finish it the next week just to turn it on because she's a carer for her mother and needed it in case of emergency but they said no. So since they cancelled the contract rather than my wife, would she still be liable to pay for a full 12 contract?
    New phone = new contract so she's liable for the full period.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I would think that if she went into arrears, she broke her terms of the contract, which is why she was cut off, as the service was not being paid for. They are hardly going to allow her to rack up yet more calls and bills. She is still liable to pay according to the terms she agreed to, if its like any other 12 month contract. Thats the deal, you get the phone, which is subsidised by the contract length.

Advertisement