Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help and advice needed.

Options
  • 16-08-2013 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I don't want to give too many details here but I will try to outline my issues as best as I can.

I have worked in my sector for many years and it has been the subject of some scrutiny of late. My problem is where I work. It's really horrible. There are days where I am in tears. I think I am a pretty good worker, willing to give my all and work hard. But I feel really picked on, everything that is not done or goes wrong is my fault. I thought I was going mad until another girl asked why I was being singled out. It is so hard to put one foot in front of the other and walk into work, I want to turn and run.

The thoughts of going back in on Monday make me physically sick and I have such bad headaches thinking about it. I lie awake at night and cry thinking about the next day.

If I was slacking off or not pulling my weight I would say suck it up and get working but I really am doing everything asked of me even though what I am asked to do changes every hour. There seems to be no clear direction, everything I see goes against all my training and there are so many things that are not done right, rules are broken. If I start one task I was asked to do I am pulled away and asked to do something else then asked why the first task was not done. I am asked why I did not complete a task that I had never been asked to do in the first place. If someone doesn't do something in work I am asked why they did not complete it, why did I not make sure it was done. And I feel really bad for the other staff there as they are just as confused as I am, you are asked to do something and when you do it are told you did it wrong and "do you not know what you are doing?"

I feel so off balance in there. The staff are lovely but the overall management is shocking. I would love to go into more details but I can't and I am aware that it is only my side of the story and I can only say that this is how other staff feel. But I do know that many do feel the same way. I can honestly say I have never come across such a high staff turnover before.

Any advise (constructive) would be welcome. I honestly don't think I can go on anymore. I am on the verge of tears typing here Monday seems so very close.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 brianwarren

HI, I feel for your situation, and especially now as changing jobs is not as easy as 5 years ago.

Firstly, if there is a situation of you being singled out, and a Manager or Supervisor, who is not really suited to their job, has it in for you it is best to make the first move.

You can contact a Rights Commissioner, and ask for someone to visit the company to check that everything is ok. You will not be named, or even interviewed, but at least you will have your complaint registered with a government body.

Unfortunately, the Employment process in Ireland is weak unless you are a Civil Servant, or you work for a large company. If you try to take a constructive dismissal, or unfair dismissal, case against a small company, and you win, there is no guarantee you will get paid. And to enter the Legal System in Ireland, even the EAT, you need at least 3,000 for solicitors fees.

An unfortunate the issue in some companies is that Management is still not an important tool for Managers. As long as some Managers are good at filling out paperwork, and keeping an eye on time keeping, some Companies are very happy.

But again most importantly, for peace of mind, get out ahead of the situation and write a letter of Complaint. A written letter is worth a million emails. When a letter arrives on someones desk the have to act straight away.
    If you company is big enough, and mature enough, you should be able to speak with someone in HR. They are obliged to treat you conversations in Private, and to investigate any bullying or bad management.

I hope this helps a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have decided to leave. It's a small company and it would serve nothing by trying to make them see that what they are doing is wrong, they really don't see it and never will.

I just can't stay there and like I said the sector has come under a spotlight in the past 2 months, I don't want to be part of something in the papers would rather leave and move on.

I do really appreciate the advice though, just this sector we are nothing but disposable and even though we are all well trained and constantly training to meet new standards we are viewed as being dim and simple not able to do a 'real' job. (Sorry rant it's been a bad day)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Sounds like you work in childcare to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Not after today!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭irishjig69b

Ok! ü kinda scare me know, my daughter is in crèche can u please tell me where this is? Not the crèche name just location

• Advertisement
Advertisement