Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flexibility in creche hours?

Options
  • 16-08-2013 8:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi everyone,
    Just looking for advice from parents who have experience with creche. My 10 mt old is starting in two weeks for three full days a week. It's open from 8 in the morning until 5 in the evening. Some days I will be dropping her off at 8 am but from time to time my work schedule changes and I assumed I could drop her in later about 9.30. In conversation with the manager today she said something like "we're not overly strict about the 8 start give or take a half an hour." It was a bad time for me to talk so I couldn't question her about this. I will speaking to her again on Monday but I'd just like to know what the norm is and also is it acceptable to collect children early or does it disturb routine etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭bulmersgal

Lac21 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Just looking for advice from parents who have experience with creche. My 10 mt old is starting in two weeks for three full days a week. It's open from 8 in the morning until 5 in the evening. Some days I will be dropping her off at 8 am but from time to time my work schedule changes and I assumed I could drop her in later about 9.30. In conversation with the manager today she said something like "we're not overly strict about the 8 start give or take a half an hour." It was a bad time for me to talk so I couldn't question her about this. I will speaking to her again on Monday but I'd just like to know what the norm is and also is it acceptable to collect children early or does it disturb routine etc?

In my creche its open door policy my daughter sometimes goes in at half 7 with me or my mam depending on her hours might drop her in anytime before 10. All the children come in at different times and go home at different times.

I prefer it this way as i feel its safer for kids as minders know a parent could be there at any moment. The door is pin coded so we dont have to ring and wait.

Are you allowed collect before 5. To be honest i fine it very strange and would not be happy, some days you could lose a hour and a half quality time with her. Its hard enough only getting a few hrs a night when they in creche

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Lac21

Thanks for your reply. Until today I assumed I could drop off and pick up as I pleased. It was just her comment about the mornings that got me thinking. I only have experience with a child minder for my older child. I would certainly hope to collect her early if at all possible some days.

Lac21 wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply. Until today I assumed I could drop off and pick up as I pleased. It was just her comment about the mornings that got me thinking. I only have experience with a child minder for my older child. I would certainly hope to collect her early if at all possible some days.

Yeah u would enquire some more about the times. To be honest this would be a deal breaker with me and i'm quite easy going. I couldnt imagine getting off work at 4 and having to wait a hour to see my child. Or even if u get a half day. My daughter only 3 and sleeps 7-7 so majority of her day is in creche so i cherish every minute we have together

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

does your child have breakfast there?
    I used to have to have her in before 8 if she was having breakfast but it did not matter otherwise.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    does your child have breakfast there?
    I used to have to have her in before 8 if she was having breakfast but it did not matter otherwise.

In mine you have breakfast time between half 7 & 9 so kids can eat anytime between those hours

• Advertisement

I was intending for her to have breakfast there if she was going in at 8. On later mornings we could have breakfast at home and then I could drop her later. That's what I was hoping to do. Maybe the manager assumed she would be having breakfast every morning. Will be ringing her in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

bulmersgal wrote: »
    In mine you have breakfast time between half 7 & 9 so kids can eat anytime between those hours

Same in mine but there's no issue dropping them later once you just feed them first.

Phoned her this morning. Like you all said I can drop her in later as long as she doesn't require breakfast. Picking up is no problem either. Phew! Thanks again!

Advertisement