Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roles in an Irish Infantry Squad

Options
  • 16-08-2013 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi can anyone tell me what makes a squad?

I know it's lead by a Corporal, but what does everyone else do and how many are there?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

Hi can anyone tell me what makes a squad?

I know it's lead by a Corporal, but what does everyone else do and how many are there?

Thanks

Any specific reason why you need to know?

Not being a smart arse btw.

Pretty sure specific Irish tactics are OPSEC, but if you look into general things like infantry section tactics, you could get an idea of what' the make-up of a section is...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭galwaycyclist

If you read up here on how a WW2 British rifle company operatedyou will get some idea.

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/British/Infantry/british_infantry_battalion%201943%20to%201945.htm

The weapons have changed over the years but the principles havent. You will have to wait till you join up to learn the specifics of section battle drills.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Opsec yet on cosantoir publish pull outs on the section in attack.

c-90 wrote: »

Yes but An Cosantoir has permission. At the end of the day anyone here doesnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

Yes but An Cosantoir has permission. At the end of the day anyone here doesnt.

Hmm not too sure on that. I mean you can post something you see in the newspaper up here, so why not something from a magazine in easons.

I understand the logic and steering away from discussing tactics on here is the right way to go, however the info is out there in ref to the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Mr. Tezza

Excuse my ignorance, but I've never seen stuff like section layout/tactics in An Cosantoir? Only ever equipment info and never operational info, even after the fact

Hmm not too sure on that. I mean you can post something you see in the newspaper up here, so why not something from a magazine in easons.

I understand the logic and steering away from discussing tactics on here is the right way to go, however the info is out there in ref to the op.

The question is not whether the information is out there its a question of how it gets out there. Somebody posting a link to an officially endorsed magazine article is ok. Somebody who has access to restricted information posting that on an internet bulletin board is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Doctor14

Try this

http://library.enlisted.info/field-manuals/series-2/FM7_8/78APPA.PDF

Things don't change a huge amount between armys

The site I linked above also has a good discussion comparing and contrasting the development of tactics and formations at squad/section level.

http://www.bayonetstrength.150m.com/Tactics/Formations/rifle_squad.htm

Getting your head around principles is better than trying to establish the detail of the job titles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement