Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo price and duration

• 16-08-2013 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi,
    wondering how long a tattoo of this size and similar detail (photo attached, i hope) would take to do, and an estimated price? Any advice would be great so I am a bit prepared when consulting with the tattoo artist...

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Totally depends on who the tattoo artist is... one could tell you two hours, one could tell you three hours etc... and prices vary from artist to artist too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I can't give you an exact figure but with the size and detail in something like that you'll be looking at a fairly hefty price tag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

TBH. I wouldn't really worry about the price if you have an image and an artist that you're happy with.

Think about it this way. Somebody gets a tattoo at the age of 25, with a life expectancy of 75 years. They have a choice of two artists, the first charging 500 euro, and the second charging a grand......

Artist A: Will provide a piece of artwork that works out, interest free, at a lifetime cost of 0.0027 cents per day.

Artist B: Will provide a piece of artwork that works out, interest free, at a lifetime cost of 0.0054 cents per day.

A bit of long-term thinking really puts the price into perspective!!

^^

Actually. Come to think of it, if you round up, tattoos are essentially free. I don't know how those artists make a living at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I'd imagine 400+

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Lobnob

Wow I was thinking no more than €200, shows how much I know. Thanks, time to get saving now.

Lobnob wrote: »
    Wow I was thinking no more than €200, shows how much I know. Thanks, time to get saving now.
    Don't skimp. It really is not worth cutting corners. You'll have that tattoo for a lot longer than you'll spend saving for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Lobnob wrote: »

I imagine if you walked into example Skin City they would say that it would take at least 5 hours (minimum) and that it would cost 400-500 euro.

I never understood how it could take so long for something that seems relatively simple or small or routine but have done a few long enough sessions myself I realised that I know **** all about tattooing and that I share that lack of knowledge with most other people who think that as long as it's not covering your whole back it'll take around 3 hours and cost about 150 :P

You may be told something completely different to what I've said, but I doubt it, especially regarding the length of time it'll take.

Best of luck with it if you do decide to get it done :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

I'd say for €400-500 you could get that tattoo in a lot more detail as well, that's not a bad tattoo but it could be really good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Agreed with fewtins. Adding in some more intricate detailing could make it go from a good tattoo to a fantastic tattoo. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 RuggieMuffin

Research artists you're interested in doing the work for you and ask them for a quote - provide them with details like colour or black & grey and the overall size you'd like etc. most are happy to give a rough quote in email.

Advertisement