Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbridge College

Options
  • 16-08-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

I notice that in the last couple of weeks the Newbridge college playing pitches have been completely sealed off. A ten foot high steel fence has been erected from the edge of the river at the back of the Patrician brothers secondary school all the way around to the roundabout at pfizer.Generations of Newbridge people have used these grounds for strolling,Walking their dogs, fishing, picking blackberrys and mushrooms and visiting the moat in old connell stud.Also during the summer months while the college students were on holidays local teenagers used the tennis and basketball courts. Recently the gardai have been called when local children used the all weather pitches and the other facilities.Do the Dominicans feel they have no obligation to the local community. It begs the question " What have they ever done for the ordinary people of Newbridge.? Other than give some employment i can think of nothing. Shame on them for depriving local people the use of these facilities.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I would expect it is an insurance issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭dalta5billion

lanomist wrote: »
    I notice that in the last couple of weeks the Newbridge college playing pitches have been completely sealed off. A ten foot high steel fence has been erected from the edge of the river at the back of the Patrician brothers secondary school all the way around to the roundabout at pfizer.Generations of Newbridge people have used these grounds for strolling,Walking their dogs, fishing, picking blackberrys and mushrooms and visiting the moat in old connell stud.Also during the summer months while the college students were on holidays local teenagers used the tennis and basketball courts. Recently the gardai have been called when local children used the all weather pitches and the other facilities.Do the Dominicans feel they have no obligation to the local community. It begs the question " What have they ever done for the ordinary people of Newbridge.? Other than give some employment i can think of nothing. Shame on them for depriving local people the use of these facilities.

Planning permission condition by the council was that the all weather pitches be only used by N.C. students and only during school time (due to objections by neighbours). I would prefer to see it opened up to the community, but this was a condition requested by residents who made submissions to Kildare CoCo.

The all weather facility is a gated facility. You could kill yourself getting over that fence. As with the diving board, insurance just doesn't cover this.

I know that the right of way between the all weather has been tarmacced and retained, and as I understood it, there was a right of way going through the college forest. (The little path going by the stud.) If you can't access that I'd take it to Kildare CoCo (I haven't seen the fencing in person).

Advertisement