Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Science TCD

• 16-08-2013 10:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭

Does anyone think that the computer science course in Trinity will go up again this year?
    It's 450 currently and I got 470 somehow, but I'm terrified that it will jump again and I'll miss out.
    I know that nobody can give me a definite answer, but I need something to put my nerves to rest a little.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Given that Computer Science / IT is one of the few areas which is actually producing jobs at the moment, I think you can pretty much guarantee that it will at least hold its ground or perhaps rise slightly.

Last year's big jump though was mostly down to the 25 extra points for Hons Maths(which most prospective CS students would do) and we certainly won't see that kind of a jump again this year.

With a 20 points surplus over last year, you're in a fairly strong position. No-one can give you a guarantee at this stage, but there is at least a very good chance that you will get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭EmatoelDiablo

That's helped my failing heart at least a little. Thank you for that, really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TripShip

Computing overall is down 15 people from last year but there's an increase of 25% in the amount of people who got 25 extra points. So I'd say it'll go up by about 10 points. I think you'll get it.

Application stats:http://www.hea.ie/sites/default/files/an_analysis_of_cao_1st_preference_applications_2013v.pdf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Does anyone think that the computer science course in Trinity will go up again this year?
    It's 450 currently and I got 470 somehow, but I'm terrified that it will jump again and I'll miss out.
    I know that nobody can give me a definite answer, but I need something to put my nerves to rest a little.

I'm in the exact same position as you. CS in TCD is my first and I got 470 points.

I've done some calculations on what I think the points will be. They are purely speculation and probably aren't accurate at all but I could show you them if you want?

ozmo wrote: »
    Look carefully the subjects and talk to previous years if possible to make sure its what you expect- I started Computer Science in Trinity a few years back - so disappointing - they had changed it that year to introduce way too much Economics and business management and hardly touched programming in year 1. Managed after a lot of hassle to Switch to "Information Systems" after a few weeks - which was so much better and actually computer related....

Was a few years ago - Likely all changed now - but best double check its what you expect.

From what I've seen, the course now is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm sorry that it didn't turn out to be what you expected, but I'm glad you ended up doing something you like. :D
    mulciber wrote: »
    I'm in the exact same position as you. CS in TCD is my first and I got 470 points.

I've done some calculations on what I think the points will be. They are purely speculation and probably aren't accurate at all but I could show you them if you want?

I'd really appreciate a look actually. I'm pretty interested in all this stuff.

• Advertisement

Ok. In 2011 the points were 385. With a 28% increase in first choice applicants in 2012 there was a 40 point increase (65-25. I took 25 points away just to account for the inflation caused by the extra 25 points last year that definitely won't be a factor this year).

Therefore with a 16% increase of first choice this year ((40/28= 1.43)*16= 22.85) that means it'll probably be a 20 to 25 point increase.

I got my percentage infos from past trinity press releases. I could find them if you'd like but it could take a while.

By the way, MonsieurFolie was the one who come up with this prediction method, not me.

So going by your calculations, we're screwed. Ah well, be grand.

I'm going to head to bed, so there's no need, but thanks anyway.

So going by your calculations, we're screwed. Ah well, be grand.

I'm going to head to bed, so there's no need, but thanks anyway.

It's just pure speculation so don't worry about it. I could be completely wrong. There's so many more variables in it so this is just a total guess.

Therefore with a 16% increase of first choice this year

Is that 16% increase in CS TCD applications or general? Cause if that's the case then you're livin' on the edge at 470!

TripShip wrote: »
    Is that 16% increase in CS TCD applications or general? Cause if that's the case then you're livin' on the edge at 470!

It's a 16% increase in first choice applicants, not applicants overall. They don't release the overall applicant figure.

• Advertisement

Ok. In 2011 the points were 385. With a 28% increase in first choice applicants in 2012 there was a 40 point increase (65-25. I took 25 points away just to account for the inflation caused by the extra 25 points last year that definitely won't be a factor this year).

Therefore with a 16% increase of first choice this year ((40/28= 1.43)*16= 22.85) that means it'll probably be a 20 to 25 point increase.

I got my percentage infos from past trinity press releases. I could find them if you'd like but it could take a while.
    That's based on only one factor out of several though (assuming your maths make sense, I didn't think too much about them).

Variation in size of intake group (if any) would be another factor; actual results achieved by applicants each year would be another. The latter wouldn't be significant enough to impact much on say points for Arts for UCD, given it's 1,500 intake or something like that, but CS in Trinity would be small enough for it to be a noticeable if not major factor.

It's a 16% increase in first choice applicants, not applicants overall. They don't release the overall applicant figure.

But just out of trinity's course or out of all the computer science courses in Ireland?

That's based on only one factor out of several though (assuming your maths make sense, I didn't think too much about them).

Variation in size of intake group (if any) would be another factor; actual results achieved by applicants each year would be another. The latter wouldn't be significant enough to impact much on say points for Arts for UCD, given it's 1,500 intake or something like that, but CS in Trinity would be small enough for it to be a noticeable if not major factor.

Yeah, I mentioned before that there are variables that I can't account for and that the calculation may not be accurate at all. It's just the best I can do with the information that I have.

But just out of trinity's course or out of all the computer science courses in Ireland?

Just trinity's course.

Yeah, I mentioned before that there are variables that I can't account for and that the calculation may not be accurate at all. It's just the best I can do with the information that I have.
    Ach, I know, I'm just saying neither of ye should take them too seriously. Everyone tries to predict points every year, while broad trends are often possible to estimate, generally they get them wrong when it comes to specifics.

Ach, I know, I'm just saying neither of ye should take them too seriously. Everyone tries to predict points every year, while broad trends are often possible to estimate, generally they get them wrong when it comes to specifics.

Yeah but this prediction is based on facts. Most courses don't release their percentage increase in 1st prefs which is why the predictions are wrong, but in this case I could see it being correct.

Yeah but this prediction is based on facts. Most courses don't release their percentage increase in 1st prefs which is why the predictions are wrong, but in this case I could see it being correct.
    Yes, it's based on facts, but as pointed out, not all the facts. :)

And btw, when I say everyone tries to predict points, two of the people I know who are least inclined to venture predictions are the Admissions Officers of two of the universities, and they have more of the relevant facts at their fingertips than anyone else.

As one tends to say when someone tries to coax a prediction out of him: "I've been stung too often!!" :D

Wooh! Got it with the 470 after.

460*

So not 20-25 points rise after all! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭MWick94

Wooh! Got it with the 470 after.

See you there so!

• Advertisement

I got in too!!! See you all there. :D

Advertisement