Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

where do the irish live in vancouver?

• 16-08-2013 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18

me and my girlfriend arrived in vancouver 2 days ago. looking for a place to live and was just wondering where the best place to live is? where the irish live or even canadian people. dont fancy living in a chinese neighbourhood. thanks davy (not a racist)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Downtown Eastside is where its happening bro, or so i have been told by people i have met from Vancouver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18 davybrown

Downtown Eastside is where its happening bro, or so i have been told by people i have met from Vancouver.

Thanks so much for your reply, but I thought that was Chinatown?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

davybrown wrote: »

Haven't a clue, i live on Vancouver island myself, only been to Vancouver to get the ferry over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

me and my girlfriend arrived in vancouver 2 days ago. looking for a place to live and was just wondering where the best place to live is? where the irish live or even canadian people. dont fancy living in a chinese neighbourhood. thanks davy (not a racist)

I would say if you don't want to live downtown where it's more expensive, Kitsilano is great or over near the Commercial Drive area which I love.

Irish are everywhere here, I know a lot in both places, particularly Commercial where I used to live.

I live downtown now and it's great too, everything nearby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭the keen edge

I lived in a predominately Chinese neighborhood in San Francisco for a time and tbh it was a great community to live in.

Chinese Americans, which I guess are much the same as Chinese Canadians, make good neighbours.
    There isn't any drama or bull**** out of them. They mind their own business and are usually busy working away getting on with life.

Not the most outgoing, chatty, friendly folk; but if you're after a hassle free life you wont get better neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Lorzy_

I live in the West End area, try checking out the apartment blocks on Burnaby St for vacancies. It's a nice quiet street but only a few blocks from the beach and walking distance to downtown. Kitsilano is also a nice area with a lot of Irish people living there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51 ✭✭Against

I've personally always found the Indian/Pakistani/Chinese parts of big cities among the most tranquil and civilised places to be, as well as cheap. But I guess it's fair enough to have a preference not to live there. Don't know Vancouver that well, but I think you can't go too far wrong with Kitsilano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Chinese are all over the city seeing as they've been here since the turn of the 20th century when they built the railways. Chinatown, East Hastings, lower Main, Keefer and Gore probably arent the nicest areas to live and TBH, the reason they live there cos thats where they arrived and then the druggie Canadians brought the quality of life down especially after the Harbour Police disappeared.

Look at Mount Pleasant and up Main or Cambie. Nice areas quite a few bars and easier on the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭NewsMeQuick

Lorzy_ wrote: »
    I live in the West End area, try checking out the apartment blocks on Burnaby St for vacancies. It's a nice quiet street but only a few blocks from the beach and walking distance to downtown. Kitsilano is also a nice area with a lot of Irish people living there.

I will definitely check out places on foot, thanks.

Does anyone know of any good sites for some good desk research? I use Craigslist already.

Look at this: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/roo/4120544262.html

ANOTHER advert looking for someone to 'live' in their living room. FFS. This one even wants you to share the living room with another person. Oh jebus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

I will definitely check out places on foot, thanks.

Does anyone know of any good sites for some good desk research? I use Craigslist already.

Look at this: http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/roo/4120544262.html

ANOTHER advert looking for someone to 'live' in their living room. FFS. This one even wants you to share the living room with another person. Oh jebus.

I would recommend Padmapper, you can download the app or check the website. It maps all the accommodation from all the providers like Craigslist, Kijiji or whatever. I found it very useful

• Advertisement
Advertisement