Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass lawn: lay seeds or roll grass sod?

• 16-08-2013 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

Is there much of a cost differential? How much per sq m for grass sod?
    If we sow seeds, how long does it take and what time of year works best.

We're trying to decide what to do. Current "lawn" is in really poor shape after lots of construction work onsite.

We have approx 250sq m.

Any advice? Also, is top soil expensive in Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

For the "instant" lawn with no weeds, I'd go for the lawn sods. They are very easy to lay but depending on where you get them (loads of suppliers online), prices will vary.

Seeding it will undoubtedly be cheaper but will take a lot more time. Factor in the cost of stripping the current lawn out, rotavating and levelling, as well as dropping in more top soil, and it might not be worth the money to go this route.

I laid out sods in my back garden a number of years ago on a site similar to your's in size and I have never regretted it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Just about on the margin of using sod, agree with other poster provides an instant finish which appeals to many. An important factor to consider will be the current ground condition. If there is a reasonable amount of ground prep required ( weeding stripping, stone burying and grading, then an all in deal to include seeding will be a fraction (30%) of what the cost of sod finish.

On the other hand if the ground is ready, well the extra few hundred for the finished look is very appealing.

Be wary of where you buy topsoil, you could be buying plenty of future trouble (weed infested) 'special offer' topsoil etc

The two most common causes of poor performing lawns are 'poor ground' and 'poor' ground preparation.

Advertisement