Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should cameras/phones be banned from concerts?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Gamayun wrote: »
    The documentary, White Face, Dark Heart, can be downloaded free from his site here if you're interested.

Cheers. I have eaten Hopi bread, but never visited. Ahhh. Just started listening - Taos clowns; yes, it was in Taos that the iPad incident happened on the San Geronimo feast day.
    If they aren't aware of Google Glass there may be lots of covert filming going on in future though!

They are pretty technologically aware..the War Chiefs Department keep up with this stuff...and I always chuckle when bringing visitors at some of the misconceptions that people come up with.

A few examples of things the people have said to me;
    "But Native Americans are poor aren't they"
    I brought an elderly friend up to San Ildefonso (She owns a Maria Martinez pot from the 50s) she was surprised to see a Cadillac drive past the No Vehicles sign. She said "they must be tourists". It was actually a local.

"Native Americans are badly educated aren't they"
    I was sitting in someone's house on Thursday availing of their hospitality as part of a feast day (I actually walked into the wrong house looking for a friends aunt but was welcomed anyway) and had a good chat about her son who was studying Biology at Stanford.

"But how do you speak English with them?"
    My father was guilty here. I don't speak Spanish, but then again many Native Americans don't either...but I think he'd been watching Westerns again.
    Me heap big friend to Indian :rolleyes:

Sorry kinda off-topic but they have at least managed to keep intrusive cells and cameras out of the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Thomasmartin

Totally agree...people standing like twats watching whole thing through their phones! Why do they bother going?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

There should be designated camera phone area at gigs. Right down the back with a massive fking strobe light directly facing it.

Twats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

The Olympia used to ban cameras. They were pretty strict about it - me & my friend were yelled at by a security guard for using our cameras to take photos at the back of a Billy Talent gig a few years ago and asked to put them in the cloakroom.

It was actually the same gig that made me realise that cameras ruin a good show - I found myself thinking "Oh, that would have made a great photo if only I could use my camera!" far too much, and then got annoyed at myself for not just enjoying the music. Nowadays, I only take a handful of photos (usually during the song I like least :P) and leave the camera in my bag for the rest of the show. I never got into filming gigs though - why bother paying €50 to watch the concert through a tiny screen?! And as for holding up iPads - that's just taking the piss.

By all means, take a few photos as memories or film your favourite song, but don't spend the entire gig taking photos: you have to experience something before it can become a memory!!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

At one gig I was at I spent too much time messing with a camera and came away feeling as if I didn't get the full experience, since then I haven't bothered bringing a camera and just observe the whole show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

I went to see A Perfect Circle in the states a few years back - anyone caught filming was thrown out on the spot. I could be mistaken, but I think that this is at the request of the band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,646 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Impossible to police in outdoor venues. Smaller places maybe, I was at Paul Brady in the National Concert Hall a couple of weeks back and they had a no phones policy, I saw ushers during the gig having a word with people not complying with the rule.

Yeah, I was at Spiritualized in the NCH last Saturday. Saw a few people being told to stop.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Pixies, Ride, Therapy?, Public Service Broadcasting, IDLES(x2), And So I Watch You From Afar

Penfailed wrote: »
    Yeah, I was at Spiritualized in the NCH last Saturday. Saw a few people being told to stop.

That's shocking.

I have said something to someone at an Amon Tobin gig. "This guy spent a million dollars on this lightshow, I'd like to see it without a $99 cellphone in the way. There will be twenty crappy videos of it on Youtube anyway.

I was ushering at a flamenco show a few months back, we had to tell someone TWICE to stop flash photography. At a live dance show ffs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I don't think camera phones should be banned but anyone who brings an ipad with the intention of recording a show is a ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

7ofBrian wrote: »
    I was at a Muse gig recently and some twat in front of me pulled out an iPad and started recording! Put a stop to that quick sharp with a pint poured down his back. Best 6 euro I ever spent.

Internet hardman alert. You did ya. I notice you didn't explain his reaction to this.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Recording a concert, that you're paying to see has to be the dumbest thing ever, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Surprised this poll is so close. Must be a lot of amateur cameramen and women on AH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Phones and cameras at concerts don't bug me as much as the fecking flashing light pacifiers/necklaces/stupid wavy things and the whistles. Why sell whistles to people going in to a show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Ive heard of one, very popular and skillful pianist, who stopped his act recently and requested everyone to stop recording it.
    His main reason was amount of poor quality videos put on youtube etc.
    I kind of agree with him, especially when people are more interested in getting video for youtube and facebook than in listening to the music, or at least watching the thing.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/germany/10098301/Pianist-Krystian-Zimerman-storms-out-of-concert-in-protest-at-being-filmed-on-phone.html

Not sure how you can loose contract because something is on youtube tough... Sounds like poor excuse to calm spectators down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I went to see Bob Dylan in Kilkenny in 2006 and my viewing experience was ruined not by people with phones but by someone who appeared to be a professional photographer. He climbed up on the barrier at the front of the stage to get pictures and completely blocked my view. Instead of looking at Bob Dylan I ended up looking at this photographers arse.

• Advertisement

I went to see Bob Dylan in Kilkenny in 2006 and my viewing experience was ruined not by people with phones but by someone who appeared to be a professional photographer. He climbed up on the barrier at the front of the stage to get pictures and completely blocked my view. Instead of looking at Bob Dylan I ended up looking at this photographers arse.

In fairness, many a photographer has an arse that is more pleasing to look at than Bob Dylan's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wow. What a douchey thing to do.

Its ok, it didn't happen in real life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Festy wrote: »
    <snip> says yes :pac:

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

vicwatson wrote: »
    :confused:

Don't even ask.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dublinbhoy88

52% with a fascist yes vote so far..Mmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

MOD NOTE: NO POSTING ABOUT A CERTAIN EVENT AT A GIG OVER THE WEEKEND. PLEASE REFER TO THIS THREAD IN FEEDBACK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

zerks wrote: »
    No,he should've poured it over the ipad.Anyone who brings an ipad to a concert deserves such treatment and contempt.

Anyone who films anything on n iPad, anywhere, deserves a pint down their back.

Slightly more on topic, Apple have applied for patents on camera blocking technology so hey can switch off the camera functions of their devices during concerts and other public events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Let people bring their phones in, but hire a sharpshooter with a paintball gun to take out any that are produced during the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I saw someone with a video of lighter being lit in the dark being played on their smartphone...

/facepalm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

At a gig this weekend in Belfast and drove me insane, could hardly see a bloody thing with the shower of morons in front and behind Sticking their smartphones up to record each song. I'm over 6 foot so normally would never have issues but it was so bad we had to leave and try and view the gig from further back.

Advertisement