Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

hardybuck wrote: »
    You realise that Passage East is about an hour from Dungarvan right? Ballyduff would be 35-40 minutes to Dungarvan?

Passage is what 20 to 25 minutes so from Walsh Park - MAX, Ballyduff Upper would be what, 75 minutes, maybe more if Passage is an hour from Dungarvan.

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Well this doesn't add up to our chairman's view on the matter a few weeks back http://examiner.ie/sport/cusack-in-running-for-deise-job-239669.html

Maybe at the end of the year it would be time to pension off Tom. He seems to be singing off a different Hymn sheet to the rest of the officers on every matter. It is happening since he was elected. The Only problem is that there does not seem to be any stand out person out there that can take over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Black Suir wrote: »
    Maybe at the end of the year it would be time to pension off Tom. He seems to be singing off a different Hymn sheet to the rest of the officers on every matter. It is happening since he was elected. The Only problem is that there does not seem to be any stand out person out there that can take over.

Would agree with that. Dont want to go personally lambasting anyone because hes a genuine GAA man but hes completely out of his depth, the co. board has been completely bereft of any type of leadership for a good few years now. We need someone who has authority and responsibility and who can inspire a bit confidence back into the county. People are sick of the constant negative rumblings. There is a complete lack of confidence and trust in the powers there at the moment and its time for a change

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

I wouldn't be too hard on the elected officials, as they do the work voluntarily, but it is definitely healthy to keep things fresh. A change at the top would do the world of good, a more business-oriented approach would be the way to go, as our finances in the county have to be of paramount importance and the Bressie-fest backfired badly on us unfortunately. It would be easy to just elect another current or former politician, but I don't see it having the desired effect on the financial front.

The reality is though, that the lad with the firmest handshake and a good memory for names will take the job. That's if there's any change at all....

I wouldn't be too hard on the elected officials, as they do the work voluntarily, but it is definitely healthy to keep things fresh. A change at the top would do the world of good, a more business-oriented approach would be the way to go, as our finances in the county have to be of paramount importance and the Bressie-fest backfired badly on us unfortunately. It would be easy to just elect another current or former politician, but I don't see it having the desired effect on the financial front.

The reality is though, that the lad with the firmest handshake and a good memory for names will take the job. That's if there's any change at all....

I don't think I was hard on the elected officials. I just made a point that I don't think Tom is signing off the same hymn sheet. I know Tom with years, and know he is a true G.A.A. man. To sit close to him at a game is always value for money as he will 99 time out of 100 will come out with something witty. My point was that the rest of the officers, whether they are right or wrong in something, they will sing off the same hymn sheet, but Tom usually don't. However, from what I am hearing there appears to be another split amongst the officers regarding the Michael Ryan - Should be go or be reappointed thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

robopaddy wrote: »
    I dont know whether ur trying to be smart or just burying ur head in the sand with regard to the whole thing but to say theres no evidence of a rift between management and players and that ryan can realistically come back and simply take over from where he left off u are deluded.

Why couldnt he? Tis people like yourself speculating and blowing this up out of all proportion. Im sure he would be a man about it and not hold grudges. As for the players, couldnt care less what they think. Ryan needs to lay down the law with some of them and stop being over friendly with them. Its only going to come back on his face.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 tight at the back

lads Ryan not in running ,lost dressing rm ,need to look for new man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭WumBuster

lads Ryan not in running ,lost dressing rm ,need to look for new man

How do you know that?

players want professional modern approach,Ryan is a decent guy but old school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

players want professional modern approach,Ryan is a decent guy but old school

Long hard look in a mirror would be a start for them so!

• Advertisement

true .But has to start from top!look at limerick rated bottom of pile in munster this yr now munster champs ? they had a very professional set up and players got on board.

True but that comes from the top,look at limerick rated bottom in munster at start of year now champs,very professional set up and players responded

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

True but that comes from the top,look at limerick rated bottom in munster at start of year now champs,very professional set up and players responded

Sounds like Waterford in 2002, right down to the loss to Clare in the semi-final. Justin's attention to detail was legendary, with tales like taking an inch off a player's hurley doing the rounds. But when the time came to get rid, he was dismissed as a dinosaur.

WumBuster wrote: »
    Why couldnt he? Tis people like yourself speculating and blowing this up out of all proportion. Im sure he would be a man about it and not hold grudges. As for the players, couldnt care less what they think. Ryan needs to lay down the law with some of them and stop being over friendly with them. Its only going to come back on his face.

Its too late like I said in a previous post the mistake he made was handing in his resignation straight away when he did. He should have held tough there might have been a chance of sitting down and repairing whatever damage there was. Its obvious he's lost the dressing room and when you do its virtually impossible to ever win it back.

so who is goin to do the job

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

Agreed. Except without the pension, lol.

More seriously though, regardless of personalities, selflessness and 'he's a good old lad', why should any of us expect to deliver on our potential when the management is rotten or at best mediocre. Jury may be out on Michael Ryan, but our CB collectively is a disaster. If we ever wish for anything other than under-achievement and success in spite of our setup, we need to expect more from our people at the helm.

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to get Donal Og in, might give things a right old rattle..

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭lovelypoint

deiseach wrote: »
    Sounds like Waterford in 2002, right down to the loss to Clare in the semi-final. Justin's attention to detail was legendary, with tales like taking an inch off a player's hurley doing the rounds. But when the time came to get rid, he was dismissed as a dinosaur.

Good coach, if he had to be accompanied by an equally good manager and tactician, we would have won a lot. In any event, are all things Justin not water well under the bridge at this point..

Good coach, if he had to be accompanied by an equally good manager and tactician, we would have won a lot. In any event, are all things Justin not water well under the bridge at this point..

What was it Marx was supposed to have said about history repeating itself? ;)

Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to get Donal Og in, might give things a right old rattle..

now now...

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

I'm surprised and taken aback that Thomas keane is banned from posting here as I find many of his tweets on twitter very informative and he's twitter account is the best in the county to access results and get updates etc. I'd imagine he would be nothing but a valuable contributor to this page. The likes of him have to be praised for promoting gaelic games in our county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Passage is what 20 to 25 minutes so from Walsh Park - MAX, Ballyduff Upper would be what, 75 minutes, maybe more if Passage is an hour from Dungarvan.

Yeah. So back to my original point, if one team has to travel to the other side of the county they'll be stung. You were making out that Passage would be in Dungarvan quicker than the Ballyduff lads would be, which is totally incorrect. It always would seem like madness, as you put it, that the western team might be asked to travel to Waterford in that sort of scenario.

Either toss a coin for Walsh Park or Dungarvan or fix it for somewhere like Kilmac.

shoddy14 wrote: »
    I'm surprised and taken aback that Thomas keane is banned from posting here as I find many of his tweets on twitter very informative and he's twitter account is the best in the county to access results and get updates etc. I'd imagine he would be nothing but a valuable contributor to this page. The likes of him have to be praised for promoting gaelic games in our county.

That makes two of us. WTF?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,543 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Why's he banned from here?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Is Thomas Keane really banned from posting here? why? He's intelligent & knowledgable about Waterford hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

There's a rule against having multiple accounts (I think), I would think that could be it if he is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Lads talking about bans etc isn't allowed, falls under questioning mod actions. If you want to PM me about it, do

PTH2009 wrote: »

Yeah, that came out over the weekend. I think he is a former WIT student.

He would have been part of a top class set up while playing for Kildare, which is more good experience to bring to the table.

I'd love to know the state of the coaching structure below senior level though, which is where the real hard work needs to take place.

I was part of some pretty shoddy county setups in my day, which totally overachieved in hindsight. It was only when I moved outside the county and saw more teams up close until I saw just how bad the coaching standards in Waterford were.

The fixtures structure needs overhaul also. I know there is an all county minor as well, but more could be done. U21 level is a huge graveyard for players. If you aren't on your club senior side, you could end up with getting one U21 championship game, maybe 3 or 4 sporadic junior games and your season is over. It's no surprise clubs lose guys in those circumstances.

Lads talking about bans etc isn't allowed, falls under questioning mod actions. If you want to PM me about it, do

Without making reference to mod actions, I think it would be fair to say that that poster was very well respected both on here, and the wider GAA scene in the county. His absence is a loss to the quality of discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/limerick-hawk-eye-appeal-1055532-Aug2013/

hope this distraction lasts until kick off :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement