Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Presumably John Mullane will have a right go at the current management. lol Oh but of course John will now go into excuse mode as he attempts to defend the indefensible and support a fellow club man and a selection policy which favours the city and its environs. The reality is that Tipperary was there for the taking. This "good performance nonsense" has got to stop. I don't want to hear it from any selector or manager. I am sick of Waterford "the gallant losers" especially when the game should have been won. The selection policy adopted last night is a return to the bad old days of Waterford hurling and will end in disaster if it is persisted with. I don't like what I see. This is supposed to be the management team with all the talents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately it showed very little nous this week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

What would your assessment be of a similar performance from Cork? Given ye won so handy last year, would you be happy with having the chances to win the game and not taking them?

Did you know we beat Tipperary last year Shamo? It seems to have been quickly forgotten, not least by a journalist in the Sunday times who under the article "Tipp make heavy weather of spirited Waterford" claimed the last time Waterford beat Tipp was in 1998.

Anyone pursuing personal gripes with individuals are claiming the season is over (someone referenced that earlier, I think I saw one person comment with such a reaction), is of course in the wrong. But Tipperary, though they've been put on a pedestal, have a lot to prove this year after last year and they came no closer to proving anything last night.

If we want to get away from being perennial relegation candidates which we all believe we are better than, well we'd have to beat teams in a game we dominate, regardless of who they are or where the game is played.

This game won't live long in the memory come the Cork championship game (and I'd have to agree with Brad's assessment of a new game plan that started quite well and conceivably faded out due to the state of fitness at this time of year) but yesterday was a case of 2 points lost for Waterford. All the same, onwards and upwards.

Would I be happy if Cork had the chances of winning a game but didn't take them....of course not - nor would anyone else surely? But I wouldn't expect to win a match because of a game 12 months ago either and not many people thought Waterford were going to win Before the match - I didn't anyway.

Was the journalist referring to Waterford beating Tip in the lge IN Tip perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Lads we're 1 game into a 3 year plan, relax jesus like it's February. Players make mistakes, I was criticising Maurice last week but I thought he was one of the better forwards lads night, the plan in the first half worked well, they got tired in the 2nd half, the shooting will improve....Relax

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Clare and KK playing at a completely different standard to both teams last night

SOK might feel better after seeing Walter Walsh's miss !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Would I be happy if Cork had the chances of winning a game but didn't take them....of course not - nor would anyone else surely? But I wouldn't expect to win a match because of a game 12 months ago either and not many people thought Waterford were going to win Before the match - I didn't anyway.

Was the journalist referring to Waterford beating Tip in the lge IN Tip perhaps?

I couldn't care less what most people think. Most people couldn't see either of Kilkenny and Tipp possbily losing one game last year in the championship never mind 2. The expectations of Tipp yesterday were ridiculous to say the least. I didn't expect Waterford to win the game on account of the game 12 months ago either, but I'd atl east factor it into the equation. Looking at both teams I thought we'd a fine chance, and seeing the game we should have won.

Maybe he did, but he failed to mention it.
    KevIRL wrote: »
    Clare and KK playing at a completely different standard to both teams last night

It's at least 5 degrees warmer than the conditions that were there for the teams last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭deise man

Same team named for next week's match against Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Lads we're 1 game into a 3 year plan, relax jesus like it's February. Players make mistakes, I was criticising Maurice last week but I thought he was one of the better forwards lads night, the plan in the first half worked well, they got tired in the 2nd half, the shooting will improve....Relax

Why would you say the shooting will improve? It's been a problem for years now and there's no reason to think it will improve. I'm optimistic that it can, but I've seen nothing to suggest it will this year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 avonmore

deise man wrote: »
    Same team named for next week's match against Galway.

I actually thought you were joking but unfortunately you're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

No flood lights and not below freezing, would make a bit of a difference in fairness,

Was anyone up at the under 21 challenge last night, anyone know the who were the 2 corner forwards were, thought one was M Kearney. was a good run out for what seemed a very young selection, good few of last years Minors involved, W Hassey, M O Brien, D J, M Harney, S O Neil , of the others I could make Barry o Sullivan at centre forward gave a v good display won a lot of high ball with good distribution, Ray Barry at wing back was excellent and Kieran Power dominant at centre back,

I think we shaded it in terms of scoring and certainty were the better team,

• Advertisement

avonmore wrote: »
    I actually thought you were joking but unfortunately you're not.
    Molumphy's the only person I'd bring in but I'd like to see Brian Sully more game time, he knows himself he'll have to improve. Why you crying so much after 1 game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Don't post in here often but just reading the thread since the game last night. I expected to read how pleased people were in pushing Tipp all the way and maybe a bit unlucky not to get something from the game. Instead I find a few absolutely stupid posts by people that clearly know nothing about hurling.
    Thought there would be more positivity.

that tipp team is far from anything special-their own supporters said as much last night

Deise_2012 wrote: »

how many years are we waiting for shooting to improve now???...they should have beat clare last year in the first round only for bad shooting
    and the forwards had enough chances to beat KK last year
    culbaire wrote: »
    Presumably John Mullane will have a right go at the current management. lol Oh but of course John will now go into excuse mode as he attempts to defend the indefensible and support a fellow club man and a selection policy which favours the city and its environs. The reality is that Tipperary was there for the taking. This "good performance nonsense" has got to stop. I don't want to hear it from any selector or manager. I am sick of Waterford "the gallant losers" especially when the game should have been won. The selection policy adopted last night is a return to the bad old days of Waterford hurling and will end in disaster if it is persisted with. I don't like what I see. This is supposed to be the management team with all the talents!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unfortunately it showed very little nous this week.

this is the most important thing...it is a step backwards to accept this anymore if its still accepted they will never win nothing

as for the city bias I think they should give the man a few more games at least before condemning him-though there were mumers of discontent from alot people from the west last night

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Some of the vitriol directed here towards the players, management and city clubs is shocking. Some people would do well to remember that these people are dedicated volunteers and amateurs who are giving up their spare time.

The two games last night were similar in pace, with poor shooting a particular feature. I wouldn't be surprised if players up and down the country are absolutely worn out from trying to train and play in this weather. Think of all the nights in the last couple of weeks when you were delighted to get in the door after work, then consider grabbing a quick bite before running out the door again to put your body through hell for two hours, crawling back into bed about 11 and doing the same thing again tomorrow. Not pleasant.

Specifically on Waterford, nothing has changed much for me. We'll still be targeting the Dublin and Galway games in order to remain in the division. If you told most people beforehand that we'd get within a score of Tipp we'd be reasonably happy with that.

Definite concerns about the scoring threat up front, and that will continue for the next couple of years at least. Molumphy and Prendergast both looked pretty rusty and will need a few weeks to get up to pace. I think we need to start looking at Prender as a full forward as we don't have a focal point in the attack, and whatever pace he had looks to be almost gone.

Of the top 8 teams only Galway had a noticeably higher score than ourselves this weekend. While it was disappointing to lose a game we should have won, too soon to be going into panic mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

Of the top 8 teams only Galway had a noticeably higher score than ourselves this weekend. While it was disappointing to lose a game we should have won, too soon to be going into panic mode.

Since 2009 Mullane and Shane Walsh have been our only consistent scorers from play up front. Mullane is retired Shane Walsh basically wrote off last year due to injury. No guarantee he'll be back to what he was anyway. And people here seem to be forgetting about him for some reason.

Our lack of scoring forwards is unquestionably a problem and days like yesterday indicate strongly that we don't have a solution.

blue note wrote: »
    Since 2009 Mullane and Shane Walsh have been our only consistent scorers from play up front. Mullane is retired Shane Walsh basically wrote off last year due to injury. No guarantee he'll be back to what he was anyway. And people here seem to be forgetting about him for some reason.

Our lack of scoring forwards is unquestionably a problem and days like yesterday indicate strongly that we don't have a solution.

Definitely is an issue, I'm not disputing that. Just trying to put a bit of perspective to the many doom and gloom posts since yesterday evening

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

You are right he was referring to the last time we beat Tipp in Tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

culbaire wrote: »

Who were you shouting for last night culbaire?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

carter10 wrote: »
    Who were you shouting for last night culbaire?
    Stupid question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I call it as it is. I stand by my criticisms which are mild in comparison with some of the comments on the game which I heard today some of which came from former co. hurlers. By the way you FAILED to address the issues raised.
    Did you ask the same question of John Mullane last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

look east west nothing..waterford were good but forwards were poor,but i thought tipp would give us hiding so weare in good place...i think we will be good this year

• Advertisement

doublejj wrote: »
    look east west nothing..waterford were good but forwards were poor,but i thought tipp would give us hiding so weare in good place...i think we will be good this year

take callinane and micheal cahill,maybe noel mcgrath outta that tipp team, they are v.ordinary...

the Waterford forwards is a big concern...they had a choice of who to take off last night

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 avonmore

take callinane and micheal cahill,maybe noel mcgrath outta that tipp team, they are v.ordinary...

the Waterford forwards is a big concern...they had a choice of who to take off last night

And that's my issue, look who was taken off and look who was left on.

Derek needs to move away from the same old, same old that he knows.

To be honest, I expected more from him and it doesn't augur well that he has named an unchanged team so soon for next Sunday.

Where's the analysis of performance? There's no way that there could have been any. It reminds me of the anecdote about the Irish rugby team in the 80's when one of the big five at the time walked into the changing room directly after a game and announced that the team was going to be the same for the next one.

I was no fan of Michael Ryan but imagine the fallout if this happened on his watch!!

What type of message does it send to anyone trying to break into the team when we didn't even create one goal chance in the game last night

avonmore wrote: »
    And that's my issue, look who was taken off and look who was left on.

Derek needs to move away from the same old, same old that he knows.

To be honest, I expected more from him and it doesn't augur well that he has named an unchanged team so soon for next Sunday.

Where's the analysis of performance? There's no way that there could have been any. It reminds me of the anecdote about the Irish rugby team in the 80's when one of the big five at the time walked into the changing room directly after a game and announced that the team was going to be the same for the next one.

I was no fan of Michael Ryan but imagine the fallout if this happened on his watch!!

What type of message does it send to anyone trying to break into the team when we didn't even create one goal chance in the game last night

yes....he made some serious errors when starting off and got rightly slated for it...

but here you have is people trying to paper over the cracks-what will it say if Waterford get relegated now!!
    they had a chance to take serious pressure off last night and should have beaten tipp IMO, how could they make goal chances with 1 player inside 45 yard line at some stages of the 2nd half??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

We may aswell just pack it in altogether. We will never win an All Ireland again

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    We may aswell just pack it in altogether. We will never win an All Ireland again

Ah look, I know it's depressing losing to a Clare team that's spent more time on the beer than on the training pitch the last few months and a pensioner leading the charge for ye, but at least ye had the good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Ah look, I know it's depressing losing to a Clare team that's spent more time on the beer than on the training pitch the last few months and a pensioner leading the charge for ye, but at least ye had the good times.

No flies on you:D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Mountainlad has a notebook of each poster and county affiliation

I hope for Waterford's sake that the success of last year's minors will be managed through, and developed, looking at it as a project for the future. I agree with the posts above about free scoring forwards, that is lacking and something that will be needed to be worked on before things happen

Mountainlad has a notebook of each poster and county affiliation

That sad thing about it is the amount of time I've spent on this yoke I could nearly make one :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

would being in division 1B be that bad for us ??

We could blood more players in 1B and they would be less pressure on us but you never know they mite change the structure of the league for 2015 and we mite survive the drop.

Galway will be tough to beat and so will all the other teams in the division.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

PTH2009 wrote: »
    would being in division 1B be that bad for us ??

We could blood more players in 1B and they would be less pressure on us but you never know they mite change the structure of the league for 2015 and we mite survive the drop.

Galway will be tough to beat and so will all the other teams in the division.

No it wouldn't. You have to play regularly at the highest level or you fall away from the top teams. A few people have said that now, while last year under different management it would have been a disaster if we were relegated. Saying that would be like saying a year or two in the Christy ring cup would help boost lads confidence, pure defeatism

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement