Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    fairly sure 6 weeks rest away from the bad surfaces in feb and march would do his hip no harm

It's the fact that he needs to rest his hip at all which concerns me.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

Ah here would you just shut the fcuk up about "the johns".
    sounds like there is john blood in you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

robopaddy wrote: »
    Baffles me the ignorance and lack of knowledge among many of the posters on this site

I was only quoting someone who said we could get turned over by Laois cos I knew it couldn't be right. No need for the attack.

And ignorance and lack of knowledge can not be accredited to me saying Prendergast is past it, thats a fact, hes struggled to rise the ball the other night and gave away a free when he had momentum which resulted in the free that lost that went over SOKs head. I honestly can't think of a decent performance from him in recent years tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

dzilla wrote: »
    I was only quoting someone who said we could get turned over by Laois cos I knew it couldn't be right. No need for the attack.

And ignorance and lack of knowledge can not be accredited to me saying Prendergast is past it, thats a fact, hes struggled to rise the ball the other night and gave away a free when he had momentum which resulted in the free that lost that went over SOKs head. I honestly can't think of a decent performance from him in recent years tbf.
    I know he might be struggling for the past few years but it's a fact we've no ball winners in our team except for Seamus with the last 5 years, and we still won't until DJ Foran and Cormac Curran are ready for Senior in 2/3 years. He's 33 34? And he's coming back every December/January because he knows he needs the fitness training, they should be using his strengths and not making him run into space for the ball

I know he might be struggling for the past few years but it's a fact we've no ball winners in our team except for Seamus with the last 5 years, and we still won't until DJ Foran and Cormac Curran are ready for Senior in 2/3 years. He's 33 34? And he's coming back every December/January because he knows he needs the fitness training, they should be using his strengths and not making him run into space for the ball

Yeah i couldnt understand why he was so far out the park

• Advertisement

WIT beat DIT in extra time 1-21 to 1-14, making it into the Fitz cup semi finals in Queen's University

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Jaysus lads a lot of frustration here over nothing

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

babs, I know nothing about the Waterford club scene or the politics behind it, but mention 'the Johns' again the way you have been or in any way that's trying to look for a reaction and you'll receive a ban

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Which of our lads were involved with WIT today? Any of them play well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niq4YePdpdw#t=106

Kilkenny keeper Eoin Murphy speaking highly of SOK

• Advertisement

Cake Man wrote: »
    SOK, Paudie Mahony, Gavin O'Brien, Jake Dillon, Stephen Roche, Jerome Maher

Paudie hit 0-14, Mountainlads video showed SOK playing well too! No idea about the other lads

SOK, Paudie Mahony, Gavin O'Brien, Jake Dillon, Stephen Roche, Jerome Maher

Paudie hit 0-14, Mountainlads video showed SOK playing well too! No idea about the other lads

Dillon cutting over a sideline too, could be an asset this year.

Dillon cutting over a sideline too, could be an asset this year.
    pssshh, I can do that in my sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

pssshh, I can do that in my sleep

Now if you could do it while youre awake...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Cake Man wrote: »

Sok in goal my man of the match. Stopped a penalty and 2 point blank saves. Jerome maher solid at corner back. Full back line outstanding throughout. Stephen Roche struggled throughout , seemed reluctant to get into the game , replaced midway through second half.
    Pauric Mahoney scored 14 points 4 from play. Should have scored 3 or 4 more from play!!
    Jake Dillon struggled throughout , highlight been a point from a sideline.
    Gavin o brien had a quite first half. Was deployed as a sweeper in the back line in the second half and played well.
    Special mention to the full back Paueic Gahan fill back and Eoin Murphy who played wing back both from kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

There's talk about Waterford forwards and how they need to step up to the plate.I'll use Patrick Horgan as an example.Hoggie always had the talent but he would go missing in matches before.He wouldn't work hard enough and he would fade out of games.I was complaining about this right up until league matches last year!Hoggie had a more consistent year in 2012 but it wasn't until his 5th year on the Cork panel that he started becoming a real leader of the Cork attack with the way he delivered the big scores from play and frees in the big games.Now Hoggie shows great leadership and drive and he is the main leader of the attack.It took him 5 years to get to that level where he was performing consistently.So it could be the case that some of these Waterford forwards just need a bit of confidence and belief to enable them to just go out there and express themselves.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

There's talk about Waterford forwards and how they need to step up to the plate.I'll use Patrick Horgan as an example.Hoggie always had the talent but he would go missing in matches before.He wouldn't work hard enough and he would fade out of games.I was complaining about this right up until league matches last year!Hoggie had a more consistent year in 2012 but it was in his 5th year on the Cork panel that he started becoming a real leader of the Cork attack with the way he delivered the big scores from play and frees in the big games.Now Hoggie shows great leadership and drive and he is the main leader of the Cork attack.It took him 5 years to get to that level where he was performing consistently.So it could be the case that some of these Waterford forwards just need a bit of confidence and belief to enable them to just go out there and express themselves.

Sorry, what County is he from again?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Some forwards take time to adjust to championship hurling.Of course you also have guy's like Podge Collins who take to championship hurling like a duck to water.My point is i think some of the Waterford forwards that people have high hopes for can still come good and that i wouldn't write them off just yet.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

Some forwards take time to adjust to championship hurling.Of course you also have guy's like Podge Collins who take to championship hurling like a duck to water.My point is i think some of the Waterford forwards that people have high hopes for can still come good and that i wouldn't write them off just yet.

I think we're very harsh and probably unrealistic practically demanding that guys are all star contenders by the time they're out of U21. Just looking at the Waterford team;

Moran was about 25 before he looked like the player he now is. He was being moved everywhere, but I thought he wasnt going to deliver on his promise.
    Lawlor was late 20s I think before he got into the team and has been our best full back since Seanie Cullinane.
    I didnt think Nagle was ever going to be a starter and last year he was one of our best players. At about 25.
    Sully was another that I didnt think was going to be more than a sub and occasional starter. At about 25 he became a top midfielder.
    And Molumphy I'd never even heard of until he was 23.

Some posters seeem to think we should forget about guys if they have a couple of bad games. No-one will ever develop if we dont give them a proper chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

0-14 yesterday from pauric mahony. not bad for a fellah who according to posters here is 'just an ordinary club hurler' and 'not fit to wear the county jersey'.

Now also that Maurice is out for 6 weeks assuming those that were calling for his head will be delighted, Im just interested to know who ye have in mind to replace him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Your exact words were; ' Prendergast couldn't turn in ballybricken. Baffles me how hes been in the squad since 2004. Are Laois in our division??'

Predergast has been on the panel since 00' fyi, and if you cant see what he has brought to the waterford team over the years and continues to do so you have no business discussing hurling, and Im certainly not going to waste my time with you.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Prendergast couldn't turn in ballybricken. Baffles me how hes been in the squad since 2004.

Are Laois in our division??

Seamus came on as a sub for Ken down in Cork against Tipp in 2000. He started against Limerick in 2001.

blue note wrote: »
    I think we're very harsh and probably unrealistic practically demanding that guys are all star contenders by the time they're out of U21. Just looking at the Waterford team;

Moran was about 25 before he looked like the player he now is. He was being moved everywhere, but I thought he wasnt going to deliver on his promise.
    Lawlor was late 20s I think before he got into the team and has been our best full back since Seanie Cullinane.
    I didnt think Nagle was ever going to be a starter and last year he was one of our best players. At about 25.
    Sully was another that I didnt think was going to be more than a sub and occasional starter. At about 25 he became a top midfielder.
    And Molumphy I'd never even heard of until he was 23.

Some posters seeem to think we should forget about guys if they have a couple of bad games. No-one will ever develop if we dont give them a proper chance.
    Finally!!!!

Will people please listen to this!!!!!!!!

I'm actually going to paste that after every league game this year haha

• Registered Users Posts: 32 culbaire666

Finally!!!!

Will people please listen to this!!!!!!!!
    I think the development of these players also coincided with the demise of older players from the early noughties. Agreed that some posters on here are being a bit harsh on our forwards, lets face it we have been spoilt the last 10-15 years with some of the forwards at our disposal. On the point of the same team being named this is something that Mcgrath done last year with DLS the same team appeared on the leaflets being given out at S.H.C. games last season.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Going to Thurles last Saturday I thought Waterford had a very good chance of winning the game. I couldn’t understand the hype about Tipperary that was almost universal among the so-called pundits. They have fallen back a long way from the heights reached in 2010, and there was no sign of an assembly line of exceptional new talent. I thought if Waterford’s attitude was right they could do it on the night.

As things turned out, Tipperary were very poor. We had to wait until the 45th minute for one of their forwards to score from play. All of their starting full forward line were replaced. Waterford really should have won comfortably. That they didn’t wasn’t due just to poor shooting (Waterford had 13 wides to Tipp’s eight, not counting one ball which dribbled wide near the corner flag).

Waterford’s main problem was giving away scores needlessly. Both Tipperary goals came from Waterford errors. For the first, Barry Coughlan gave away a ball which should have been cleared, and Stephen O’Keeffe didn’t protect his near post for Callanan’s shot. The free for the second goal was given away very clumsily by Seamus Prendergast and of course O’Keeffe missed it on its way to the net.

There was further support here for my view that hurling shouldn’t be played under lights. The ball is too small and spends a lot of the time up in the air, making it hard to track. Games of this importance should not be decided by players losing sight of the ball in the lights. Two years ago Shane O’Sullivan was harshly sent off in the corresponding fixture for what the referee deemed to be a dangerous pull when Sully clearly was unsighted by the lights.

Apart from the goals, very poor play by Kevin Moran gifted Tipp a point in the first half, Noel Connors did the same by overcarrying the ball, both Barry Coughlan and Seamus Prendergast gave away silly frees which were pointed and Sockie gave an attempted short puckout straight to a Tipp forward who returned it over the bar. On top of that, the referee also gifted Tipp a point for dubiously penalising Noel Connors when he blocked down John O’Dwyer’s 65. The referee gave the follow-up free five metres closer to where O’Dwyer hit the first shot than where Connors had been standing when he made the block, as if trying to justify his erroneous decision.

Take all those scores out and Tipperary had very little left. We really should have buried them.

The main positive features for Waterford on the night were the outstanding display by Shane Fives, the usual excellence of Brick and solid displays by the rest of the defence. Pauric Mahony’s ability to get into scoring positions was also encouraging – a pity about the final delivery. Jamie Barron had a useful first half, getting in eight decent plays, although he missed a couple of scoring chances and faded out after the interval. I can’t understand why he has never been tried as a corner forward, given his high scoring returns from that position for Fourmilewater and his good understanding with his clubmate Shane Walsh.

The vilification of Maurice Shanahan by some posters here is totally unwarranted. He earned three frees, scored a good point, shot three wides, nearly set up a goal chance after a good run in the first half, and made several other good plays. Compared with the contributions of Jake Dillon and Brian O’Sullivan, he was in a different league. However, playing him at corner forward made no sense to me at all. He is most dangerous running at defences from the right wing position.

Derek McGrath also needs to realise that Stephen Molumphy’s best (if not only) position is at midfield. Putting him at full forward and then moving him to the wing made no sense. I was surprised that Ray Barry was not even listed as a substitute and that Gavin O’Brien was not brought on, as both of these have shown an ability to score, which is what we needed late on in the game. Paudie Prendergast also played most of his minor games in the forwards where he was a good ball winner. I was a little disturbed that Jake Dillon and Brian O’Sullivan finished out the game, as neither had much of an impact, and nothing would have been lost by replacing them.

Waterford desperately need more pace, strength and ball-winning ability up front. With Maurice now out, the selectors should start thinking outside the box by considering Tadhg Bourke, Darragh Fives and Shane McNulty for forward positions. Donie Breathnach, DJ Foran and Cormac Heffernan should also be brought into the frame. All the other counties are experimenting, and we should be doing the same.

Seamus came on as a sub for Ken down in Cork against Tipp in 2000. He started against Limerick in 2001.

and? I was making the point that he has been rubbish since 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Ballysaggart launching an appeal against Creggan for fielding an illegal player in both finals. Their PR dept will have to work overtime to put a positive spin on this aswell as Pat Bennett's verbal attack on the referee!!
    In all seriousness i suppose if they have a case they are entitled to explore all avenues but personally i think they'd be better off to leave well enough alone as they have raised the profile of their club and players throughout the country in a positive manner and should try to build on this and not be remembered for a tremendous year by the last few days. Just my opinion that if its not won on the field of play then leave it there. The player in question i think scored 1-2 last Saturday so i suppose they have a case there,but the same player was there in the drawn game where Ballysaggart led by 10pts in to the second half and let it slip themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement