Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

cul beag wrote: »
    Ballysaggart launching an appeal against Creggan for fielding an illegal player in both finals. Their PR dept will have to work overtime to put a positive spin on this aswell as Pat Bennett's verbal attack on the referee!!
    In all seriousness i suppose if they have a case they are entitled to explore all avenues but personally i think they'd be better off to leave well enough alone as they have raised the profile of their club and players throughout the country in a positive manner and should try to build on this and not be remembered for a tremendous year by the last few days. Just my opinion that if its not won on the field of play then leave it there. The player in question i think scored 1-2 last Saturday so i suppose they have a case there,but the same player was there in the drawn game where Ballysaggart led by 10pts in to the second half and let it slip themselves.

I'd agree they lost the game get on with it. they had two throws of the dice game over. After Pat Bennett's outburst about the referee an now this its getting embarrassing now. They have won huge admirers for their club after such an amazing run for such a small club be a shame to be remembered for this and not for the remarkable achievements on the field of play. I don't think the GAA will grant a replay for something like that unless the player in question had transferred to the club which isn't the case he was underage last year and up to the age this year(jam 1st) it would be harsh on Creggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'd agree they lost the game get on with it. they had two throws of the dice game over. After Pat Bennett's outburst about the referee an now this its getting embarrassing now. They have won huge admirers for their club after such an amazing run for such a small club be a shame to be remembered for this and not for the remarkable achievements on the field of play. I don't think the GAA will grant a replay for something like that unless the player in question had transferred to the club which isn't the case he was underage last year and up to the age this year(jam 1st) it would be harsh on Creggan.

It's starting to take the gloss off their year at this stage, but teams have been thrown out of championships for this sort of thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

fairly sad when a team object to a player been too young, id be embarressed if it was my club letting a 16 yr old score against us, id be keeping quite about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Ok, But what is not confirmed in that article is whether the player is actually under 16' for GAA purposes? Has he only turned 16 since the turn of the year? Or is he 16 since last year, if that is the case he would have been inelligible for before January, but if he is now 'over 16' for GAA purposes he is eligible.

I suppose with only a 3 day window to lodge an objection after the game there wasnt much time to look into it, so they are probably right to just lodge the objection and see what happens...

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

robopaddy wrote: »
    Ok, But what is not confirmed in that article is whether the player is actually under 16' for GAA purposes? Has he only turned 16 since the turn of the year? Or is he 16 since last year, if that is the case he would have been inelligible for before January, but if he is now 'over 16' for GAA purposes he is eligible.

I suppose with only a 3 day window to lodge an objection after the game there wasnt much time to look into it, so they are probably right to just lodge the objection and see what happens...
    he was ineligible to play in 13 but is in 14. apparently not allowed to play as its the same championship as before Christmas. they are clutching at straws

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ballysaggart would be better off having an inquiry into how they were destroyed by a 16 year old

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

babs123 is on a short break from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

is Brian o Halloran Injured again?. When is Dara fives Back?. Is Stephen Bennett injured ?, and if so what if Ballysaggert get their replay , Is he then still injured?. Speaking of which Ballysaggert would be better off , if none of the referee bashing came out prior to this, it really sounds like sour grapes, now they might have a point in both cases but jesus if Pat had held his tongue, plan b would have sounded less bitter. Who Should replace Maurice Shanahan on Sunday, Would be very disappointed to have to spend another hour looking at brian o sullivan not big, strong or fast enough for this type of Hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

is Brian o Halloran Injured again?. When is Dara fives Back?. Is Stephen Bennett injured ?, and if so what if Ballysaggert get their replay , Is he then still injured?. Speaking of which Ballysaggert would be better off , if none of the referee bashing came out prior to this, it really sounds like sour grapes, now they might have a point in both cases but jesus if Pat had held his tongue, plan b would have sounded less bitter. Who Should replace Maurice Shanahan on Sunday, Would be very disappointed to have to spend another hour looking at brian o sullivan not big, strong or fast enough for this type of Hurling.
    Brian O'Halloran was pucking around in thurles before the game saturday, he's not match fit yet but should be back in a few weeks. Darragh Fives didn't feature for UCC again yesterday so he must still be a good while away from recovery. I doubt saggart will get the replay and Stephen Bennett is resting for the next 6 weeks so we won't see him until the summer!!

Molumphy will start Sunday at wing forward I think and Jamie Barron or Jake Dillon will go corner forward

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Very poor behavior by Ballysaggart.

Blaming the referee because he is from Wicklow was bad enough but this appeal !

How do they think the 16 year old Creggan lad feels about possibly being the reason for his club losing their All-Ireland Title ?

They club needs to rebuke this appeal ASAP

Embarrassing to the club and all people of Waterford GAA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Sounds about right. On the face of it Ballysaggart have a case - surely the final is effectively for the 2013 junior championship - but the optics matter and after Pat Bennett's rant the last thing they should want is to be remembered as the accidental champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Hopefully a replay is ordered and Creggan beat 47 different types of ****e out of Ballysaggart, patethic carry on alltogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

deiseach wrote: »
    Sounds about right. On the face of it Ballysaggart have a case - surely the final is effectively for the 2013 junior championship - but the optics matter and after Pat Bennett's rant the last thing they should want is to be remembered as the accidental champions.

Have to agree. The more you think about it the worse it gets. For all the plaudits they gained throughout this campaign it will count for nothing if this farce is continued with. Were they in contact with Mr. Murphy from Cork or who made them aware of the rule?!!
    Can you imagine having to physically remove the trophy from Creggan and hand it over then to Ballysaggart! I'm sure if they win the appeal there wouldn't be a replay it would mean Creggan being thrown out of the Championship?
    Bottom line is they had 2 cracks at it,came up short in the replay,done and dusted,move on and be proud of the fantastic campaign they were involved in.

cul beag wrote: »
    Have to agree. The more you think about it the worse it gets. For all the plaudits they gained throughout this campaign it will count for nothing if this farce is continued with.

That's it. Once Pat Bennett opened his trap, any pretense to being hard done by would have been lost. I would say they should take it on the chin but presumably we're past that point now?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Ballysaggart's hearing will be heard by the CCCC on Thurs night the 20th February. At least there'll be a swift ending to this either way. I've a feeling that Ballysaggart will end up as All Ireland champions by default if precedence is anything to go by.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

Do we know why they didn't object before the replay?

While this feels wrong, it does sicken my hole when I end up paying against illegal players, so I'm actually a bit torn on the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

blue note wrote: »
    Do we know why they didn't object before the replay?

While this feels wrong, it does sicken my hole when I end up paying against illegal players, so I'm actually a bit torn on the issue.

was only a chance comment,someone said and imagine shur, he being only 16 what an occasion or some such comment,that sparked it.

was only a chance comment,someone said and imagine shur, he being only 16 what an occasion or some such comment,that sparked it.

Lots of people associated with this wishing they'd kept their mouth shut!

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Very poor behavior by Ballysaggart.

Blaming the referee because he is from Wicklow was bad enough but this appeal !

How do they think the 16 year old Creggan lad feels about possibly being the reason for his club losing their All-Ireland Title ?

They club needs to rebuke this appeal ASAP

Embarrassing to the club and all people of Waterford GAA

If Creggan broke the rules then Ballysaggart are entitled to a replay, It's not the 16 year olds fault, it's Creggans & Ballysaggart have done Waterford GAA proud all year and are certainly not am embarrasment to Waterford GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 A.N. Onymous

The two corner forwards were Ryan Donnely & Cathal Curran

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

comeraghs wrote: »
    If Creggan broke the rules then Ballysaggart are entitled to a replay, It's not the 16 year olds fault, it's Creggans & Ballysaggart have done Waterford GAA proud all year and are certainly not am embarrasment to Waterford GAA.

Some of their belittling comments regarding the ability of a Wicklow person to referee games at that level were embarassing, particularly as we're not a huge power ourselves.

Commenting that you knew the oppositon couldn't score from play because they are a footballing team from Antrim, only to be beaten and outscored from play was embarassing.

This whole debacle is now embarassing and they should move on while they still have some respectability.

comeraghs wrote: »

Anyone with any bit of dignity would walk away from this. How in gods name can they claim to be all Ireland champions having lost it on the field of play. Look if they want it that badly its shocking and truth be known they'll be the laughing stock of the place and it won't be worth the paper its written on!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

The two corner forwards were Ryan Donnely & Cathal Curran

Take it you referring to the un 21 challenge ?, if so I would have to question why Ryan Donnelly was not on the bench if not the field for the senior, considering he is on the panel, though both played very well but in particular the right corner forward which I presume was Donnelly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

I know the captain of that creegan's team, I'll be embarrassed the next time i meet him no matter what the result, let sleeping dogs lie, it's embarrasing

Lads at the end of the day its an AI final. They dont come around every day for small rural clubs, put urself In the players shoes. Youd feel sick to the core if you had to think that you were outdone by an illegal player for the rest of your days and you didnt do anything about it when you had the chance. Its all well and good saying to leave it as they won the respect of the gaa world throughout the year, or serves them right for getting skinned by a 16 year old'. That is not argument just a petty snipe really. To the rest of the world its not a big deal but to that community it very much is.

I think its unfair to judge an entire community on the comments of one ignorant gob****e aswell. The players and the supporters up there are as decent as youll meet

Let them have their appeal they know theyll have to live with the consequences anyway

lads he was a 16 year old for gods sake, its not like they signed up a senior inter county player or broke some transfer rules, they {ballysaggert}should be ashamed of themselves for even considering appealing.

lads he was a 16 year old for gods sake, its not like they signed up a senior inter county player or broke some transfer rules, they {ballysaggert}should be ashamed of themselves for even considering appealing.

Irellevant. If the rules are broken theyre broken.

how any player could take an all ireland medal after not winning the game over 140 minutes is beyond me, and over a 16 year old, what a joke.

Am i right in saying this 16 yr old played in the semi final aswell? If this is true do the beaten semi finalists have a case for a replay or reinstatement?

• Advertisement

how any player could take an all ireland medal after not winning the game over 140 minutes is beyond me, and over a 16 year old, what a joke.

Yea because judging by your previous comments here you seem like such a stand up guy... spare us

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement