Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Ul Gary kirby coach

No programmes ,the teams from what i could see
    paul maher
    Troy kilkenny
    dave mccarthy clare
    James carrig limerick
    5?
    Gearoid ryan clare
    Aidan mcguahan 7 ul

John mcgrath ul 8
    9?
    10 donal dywer
    11 emmet nolan offaly
    12 Jack shelley
    13 ryan limerick
    14 stephan bennett
    15 shane donelly
    Fergal horgan tipp ref

Ger cunnigham cork ucc coach

Ucc
    1?
    Higgins
    Kieran histon
    Fionn o sullivan
    Higins
    Tadhg o bourke
    Hegarty
    Motherway
    Tom devine
    Mark mcgaughan
    Eoin fitzell (20)michael breen was injured didnt start
    Rickard cahalane
    Anthony spillane
    Dj foran
    Philip lucey kerry

H time 2-8 to 1-9 in favour ul
    Full time 4-14 ul to ucc 2-19

Fergal horgan tipp referee

Donelly hat trick and stephen bennett goals ul ,nolan and ryan got some great scores with bennett scoring a goal and 6 around
    John mcgrath two great points

Troy ,mcgauhan, and james carrig my man of the match was unreal ,mcgrath,donnelly and bennettand nolan having great games

Ucc had great games from tadhg o bourke superb and majestic at 6,with hegarthy having a fine game,
    And tom devine hurling loads of ball at midfield.those had a huge influence in ucc going from 7 down to 1 ahead in the second half.

Mcghaun worked hard with cahalane getting good points and fitzell having good moments at times.
    Lucey had a great game when he got ball but he didnt get enough of it.

Dj foran was there best forward,winning loads of clean aerial ball,scoring two great goals and laying of a lot of ball,and created a lot.

A classic high quality game played at a breathing taking pace and tempo a draw would have been a fair result but ul are a brillant team-and well coached like ucc were.They play carlow in the semifinal next week.coached by dempsey the Kilkenny selector.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

That's because he spent a year in Australia. He had a decent profile from before that with Waterford underage teams, Ballyduff and NUIG.

Plus winning several Harty cups and all Ireland colleges with Coleman's

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

robopaddy wrote: »
    And st colmans. Himself and the kearney twins from tallow won back to back harty cup and AI colleges with them.

Shane Kearney Lismore was also part of that Coleman's team when they won in 01, the Kearney twins tallow have 3 Hartys in a row and 2 all Ireland's which is fair going.
    Thought Ringo was discarded by the county way too soon, he should be in his prime now with the county, I know he had injuries etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Problem with Pat Bennetts comments and 95% of the gaa stock are he said it in public forum so people would want to get off there high horses fairly quickly.

Not sure what you mean. Obviously people wouldn't be taken aback by his comments if they were said where no-one could overhear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Shane Kearney Lismore was also part of that Coleman's team when they won in 01, the Kearney twins tallow have 3 Hartys in a row and 2 all Ireland's which is fair going.
    Thought Ringo was discarded by the county way too soon, he should be in his prime now with the county, I know he had injuries etc
    Davy fu**ed him over I thought. He was brilliant I loved watching him in the 07 season, but even at club level I hate seeing him play wing forward he's a top class defender

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Thinking about Ballysaggart situation today it struck me, I don't think any club in the country, or certainly Waterford, suffered more when the rule came in not allowing U-16s to play, Ballysaggart are so tiny they need ever body they can get, they could do with U-14's!

In the junior All-Ireland they came up against a team with way larger resources who than didn't obey the rule which hampers teams like Ballysaggart, whatever you think, no reasonable person could say that that is fair (and unreasonable people aren't worth talking too)

I don't know the ins and outs of Ballysaggart, but I am sure they have players of the same age group playing in central positions underage with Lismore and Waterford development squads. They could have made a difference to that final and swung it the other way

The rules are the rules for everyone, one finalist can't play under different rules to the other.
    When I heard this the other day my first instinct was to think Christ sake give it up don't be such sore losers, but I was wrong they are right to put in an objection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Slobbery wrote: »
    When I heard this the other day my first instinct was to think Christ sake give it up don't be such sore losers, but I was wrong they are right to put in an objection

Of course they are right to object. Some of the usual negative bull**** on here 'oh they should be too ashamed after conceding to a 16 year old' or 'they had their chance to win it the first day' rubbish. the amount of bitter begrudgery in this county never ceases to amaze me. these are not valid arguments. As someone else alluded to chris o gorman (a good forward) recently transferred from lismore but ballysaggart did not play him as he couldnt, it was still the 2013 championship. Why is this different? just because the 2 creggan lads are 'only 16' as people here keep saying

deiseach wrote: »
    His comment about referees coming from Wicklow was a bit more than 'out of order'. If someone said something similar about Waterford football, would you accept 'he's a great club man and he was a bit upset' as a valid defence?

Not the first time someone from our county has come out with this crap. I remember in 2003 after a Muster semi final drawn game with limerick our own gracious co board chairman pj ryan slated the referee pat ahearn and wondered how someone from a non hurling county like carlow could be put in charge of an munster championship game. It was pretty embarrassing to hear but I dont remember too many repercussions or certainly not an apology from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

So any white smoke from that meeting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

"Ballysaggart's objection to the result of the replay on the basis that two Creggan players were underage was also considered. CCCC are likely to refer the objection to the GAA's management committee, who, in turn, could seek an opinion from the rules advisory committee before any decision is made. That is not likely to take place until next week."

Above is according to the indo. So put off until next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Not the first time someone from our county has come out with this crap. I remember in 2003 after a Muster semi final drawn game with limerick our own gracious co board chairman pj ryan slated the referee pat ahearn and wondered how someone from a non hurling county like carlow could be put in charge of an munster championship game. It was pretty embarrassing to hear but I dont remember too many repercussions or certainly not an apology from him.

Yeah, that was in my mind. You know the worst kind of Tipperary asshole who thinks they've personally struck every ball in every one of their All-Ireland victories? You know you shouldn't think less of Tipperary people in general because of one troll, but you can't help yourself? Well, that is how Wicklow and Carlow folk will view Waterford. It's dispiriting.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

Any one here Know who that b Phelan lad playing for NUIG is?, He is named at full forward, and it states he's from waterford, i have no idea who he is, and thanks also for the poster who put up the teams of UCC AND UL Freshers, very hard to get, great to see Waterford talent leading the way.I think burke is ready now just my opinion, i think he is the next good hurling centre back in Waterford, ticks alot of , if not all the boxes for me, good time for him,.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Any one here Know who that b Phelan lad playing for NUIG is?, He is named at full forward, and it states he's from waterford, i have no idea who he is, and thanks also for the poster who put up the teams of UCC AND UL Freshers, very hard to get, great to see Waterford talent leading the way.I think burke is ready now just my opinion, i think he is the next good hurling centre back in Waterford, ticks alot of , if not all the boxes for me, good time for him,.

Brendan Phelan, Ballinameela. Minor 2 years ago. Started v Tipp in thurles at full forward and scored 2 points. Very unlucky with injuries since, numerous hip operations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

shoddy14 wrote: »
    Brendan Phelan, Ballinameela. Minor 2 years ago. Started v Tipp in thurles at full forward and scored 2 points. Very unlucky with injuries since, numerous hip operations
    Beyond lucky with injuries it's ridiculous! He is some hurler on his day but I don't know if his leg will ever be fully recovered after all the setbacks he's had. The best fella I've seen to catch a ball

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭shoddy14

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Beyond lucky with injuries it's ridiculous! He is some hurler on his day but I don't know if his leg will ever be fully recovered after all the setbacks he's had. The best fella I've seen to catch a ball

Agreed. Got 1-2 in one of their fitzgibbon games too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

While I agree those comments are out of order, I would say that was the worst refereeing performance I ever saw. And I don't remember seeing him ref again.

While I agree those comments are out of order, I would say that was the worst refereeing performance I ever saw. And I don't remember seeing him ref again.

Still no excuse. Those comments were the height of ignorance and youd question what type of people we have running our organisations

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The appeal has failed as it fell outside the three day window, but the CCC is going to look into it according to today's Examiner

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Long time reader, first time poster on this forum. Think the carry on of Pat Bennett in the aftermath has been a disgrace, not so much as an apology been issued either. Clubs like Kickhams are what is keeping hurling going up the north. They are what the gaa is about. Look what saggart are doing for the weaker code in their county? Absolutely nothing. Dont even field a football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

While Pat Bennett's comments are regrettable and he should issue an apology, thats a side issue. If Creggan played illegal players, that is a very serious issue that needs to be dealt with. Clearly these players had an impact on the result and this cant be ignored.

Does the GAA do any sort of checks themselves to ensure all players are eligible or is up to the opposition to always have to raise an appeal? Creggan appear to have played illegal players in 3 games and the GAA authorities have no idea. Considering these are All Ireland semi finals and finals that doesnt see good enough to me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Pat Bennett is actually a grand fella, but he may not be the best coach in the world and he does lose the run of himself on the line at times. The comments make him sound really bad but he just got caught talking at the wrong time. A few of our ex inter county stars have taken to twitter to make sarcastic comments about Westmeath hurling referrees after Horgans and Shefflins sending offs last year, so even though I think pat should apologise, he may be due a bit of slack.

On the illegal players, obviously this is a huge GAA no no, teams usually get thrown out for it, does someone here know the rule?

I think the team that is forgotten about is the team Creggan beat in the Semi, they were denied an all Ireland appearance be a team who didn't stick to the rules, they should be re instated???

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

6 changes on waterford team 4 of them in forwards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

uFUY6I9iIF

alterations to team,
    notably IOR starting in lieu of SOK ,odd considering he was supposed ot be cracking on tues last

https://twitter.com/ponyyelof/status/437583509948207105/photo/1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Slow start but came back into it well. Happy to be up at HT but need to keep it going second half and with the breeze.

Good to see new faces given a chance today

Good to see new faces given a chance today

I didnt know we had such a bench ,great stuff

I didnt know we had such a bench ,great stuff

Donnelly having great game, showing for the ball and using it extremely well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Great result well done to the lads. Vital that we won today to have a chance of staying up and even progressing. Donnelly, Mahony and the half back line all excellent. Seamus did very well too.
    Delighted!

haha all teams on 2 points, everyone is won one,lost one

a few photos are up ,need to get the new jersey soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Just back home from the game. Really good win for us, delighted to be wrong with my prediction. Really solid all round performance and great to see the accuracy much improved from last weekend. All the changes to programme starting team worked well, particularly impressed by Ryan Donnelly who has a fantastic turn of pace. MOTM for me was Paudie Mahoney but there were so many good performances today.

Gonna be a really tight league again it looks like

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement