Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The goals or lack of them are a worry but if Waterford were to score twenty plus points as they did yesterday, then there is an excellent chance of some silverware.

I do think that would be extremely ambitious with our draw this year. You'd need to beat Cork, then Clare before playing either Tipp or Limerick in a final. If we were in a semi final we'd have a much stronger chance, but getting three big wins would be extremely difficult.

I think a realistic target would be to win two championship games and reach an All Ireland quarter final. Either to win two games in Munster and reach a quarter, to win one game in Munster and another in the qualifiers to reach the quarter, or to win two games in the qualifiers and reach a quarter.

If we did the above and remained in Div 1 of the league we'd have a solid year in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

robopaddy wrote: »
    A bit off topic. But anyone else glad to see clare beaten yesterday? Thought the antics from both supporters and players v kilkenny in ennis stank of cockiness. Jumping in shefflins face screaming when he missed a couple of frees and fans booing and whisteling everytime kk were taking a free. Its not the gaa way and id hate if our county got a reputation for it

I noticed that alright, alot of these supporters look like soccer bandwagoners out for the day who prob haven't been to a game since the 90's. I met a few lads from Clare who wanted the Nash thing brought in on safety grounds which i thought was pretty funny considering what happens in general play in just about every game. We have an element of that too unfortunately but they usually ony show up come championship time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

A bit off topic. But anyone else glad to see clare beaten yesterday? Thought the antics from both supporters and players v kilkenny in ennis stank of cockiness. Jumping in shefflins face screaming when he missed a couple of frees and fans booing and whisteling everytime kk were taking a free. Its not the gaa way and id hate if our county got a reputation for it

No. I find Clare supporters to be very nice.

Being honest, Tipp fans are the only fans I don't like as a group.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

Lot of positives from yesterday. Work rate, closing down very good in the middle of the field. Overdid the short passing at times especially in the second half when a more direct approach might have been better.
    Great to see the management have the courage make 6 changes and Ryan Donnelly did his chances no harm. Very impressed by him, his decision making and general play was good and he looks to be strong on the ball as well. It at least gives another option in the forwards. Unfortunately Brian O Sullivan had another quiet day but the heavy going probably dosent suit him.
    I thought Molumphy was excellent until he tired, particularly in the first half he won a lot of scrappy ball and was our most influential player during that half.
    Looks a real solid full back line now, the goal was a fluke and they were only opened up one other time when Galway were in for a goal but for Fives foul. Worth the card.
    When you think we still have Daniels, Fives and Coughlan as options at the back we have no worries in that department.
    Seamus was unlucky to lose his footing a few times and seemed to get caught in two minds when in on goal in the first half but he was a real handful for the full back. Difficult position for him to play given his limited pace and in a line with just one other. That is something we could have done in the second half- stick a third body up front and play more direct to them. The running/support game with the extra man in the middle has been effective so far on the soft ground but i'd like to see them vary it at times during the game.
    There were times in the second half when Seamus was winning ball but there was no support there for him which is something we can look at as the league progresses. Perhaps it would be better to play someone who could hold the ball up longer for the other forwards to run onto. In the early years of Gerald Macs tenure we did this to good effect. I think Molumphy should be tried in this roll as he's good at keeping possession any laying off. Just a thought

I was grateful of Eddie Brennan's analysis of the game he didn't see on league Sunday last night.

Why can't they do a proper highlights show!? It angers me every single week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Watching their game yesterday would make the blood boil, that ape Davy going on all year about respect and how because he was bullied as a child he would always have respect for everyone etc. yet he was clearly caught on camera yesterday telling a Dublin player that he was ''a joke and a useless fcuker'' :rolleyes:

blue note wrote: »
    No. I find Clare supporters to be very nice.

Being honest, Tipp fans are the only fans I don't like as a group.

At least Waterford fans dont make wild generalisation claims......oh wait!

Im sure if Clare had being beating ye for as long as Tipp have you would have a different viewpoint :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

John Mullane is putting his money on Kilkenny to win the AI this year.

STIG83 wrote: »

He was putting Tipp forward all last year tbf! Wonderfull hurler but as an analyst and journalist leaves alot to be desired.

He was putting Tipp forward all last year tbf! Wonderfull hurler but as an analyst and journalist leaves alot to be desired.

He not giving Davy Fitz and Clare a chance of winning back to back AIs by the looks of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Does he still have his"Mullane on Monday"article on the independent?

cul beag wrote: »
    Does he still have his"Mullane on Monday"article on the independent?

That was only for the championship last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Watching their game yesterday would make the blood boil, that ape Davy going on all year about respect and how because he was bullied as a child he would always have respect for everyone etc. yet he was clearly caught on camera yesterday telling a Dublin player that he was ''a joke and a useless fcuker'' :rolleyes:

You took the words right out of my mouth. Was thinking the exact same thing last night when I saw the League Sunday package. At the ad break montage you see him roaring as usual, and then you see him snipe at the Dublin player during the game.

And as you mention talking about himself being bullied, the same man that I was convinced only took up coaching to insult linesman like during the Galway game last year when he called one a 'bollocks'. Not that I think Eoin Kelly didn't say something to him first, but what he said to him betrays his "I just have so much respect for these boys, so I do" nonsense he's always coming out with.

So much BS surrounds him it's ridiculous. The man is encouraged to act like a spoilt child, could scarcely give an interview without looking at the ground before they won the all-ireland. A referee in charge of one of his games in the fitzgibbon said he wouldn't let his children near a game he was involved in the language he was using. Yet apparently he's great for the game.

Not going to knock his achievements with Clare, but he is an utterly unlikeable person no matter what anyone says.

Thought John was a bit wide of the mark yesterday. Having seen some of the goals they let in yesterday (4/5 I would say) in their own back yard, I think it might be wise to reserve judgement on them for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Any highlights of yesterday around lads? Was working all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Any highlights of yesterday around lads? Was working all day.
    You just missed them on tg4 there. highlights on gaa beo should be on tg4 player after 10pm!

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

carter10 wrote: »
    Lot of positives from yesterday. Work rate, closing down very good in the middle of the field. Overdid the short passing at times especially in the second half when a more direct approach might have been better.
    Great to see the management have the courage make 6 changes and Ryan Donnelly did his chances no harm. Very impressed by him, his decision making and general play was good and he looks to be strong on the ball as well. It at least gives another option in the forwards. Unfortunately Brian O Sullivan had another quiet day but the heavy going probably dosent suit him.
    I thought Molumphy was excellent until he tired, particularly in the first half he won a lot of scrappy ball and was our most influential player during that half.
    Looks a real solid full back line now, the goal was a fluke and they were only opened up one other time when Galway were in for a goal but for Fives foul. Worth the card.
    When you think we still have Daniels, Fives and Coughlan as options at the back we have no worries in that department.
    Seamus was unlucky to lose his footing a few times and seemed to get caught in two minds when in on goal in the first half but he was a real handful for the full back. Difficult position for him to play given his limited pace and in a line with just one other. That is something we could have done in the second half- stick a third body up front and play more direct to them. The running/support game with the extra man in the middle has been effective so far on the soft ground but i'd like to see them vary it at times during the game.
    There were times in the second half when Seamus was winning ball but there was no support there for him which is something we can look at as the league progresses. Perhaps it would be better to play someone who could hold the ball up longer for the other forwards to run onto. In the early years of Gerald Macs tenure we did this to good effect. I think Molumphy should be tried in this roll as he's good at keeping possession any laying off. Just a thought

Or have him lay off the ball to Donnelly or any of the other forwards. Because everytime Seamus goes up for a ball almost instantly two defenders are on him.
    9 times out 10 he will pluck it out of the sky.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 avonmore

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    You just missed them on tg4 there. highlights on gaa beo should be on tg4 player after 10pm!

Didn't make the game myself as was away but just caught them there on TG4.

Hard to judge by highlights but Paudi Mah look's like a guy really on his game, but just as importantly, a guy with the nous and hurling brain to lead the forward line..

Molomphy and Prendergast are definitely essential while this team is in transition.

Young Barry's scores were really impressive, his quickness of wrists will always be an asset at this level. Glad to see last year against Kilkenny wasn't a one off.

Young Donnelly's score reeked of a lad who has plenty of confidence.

Stephen Roche got a great score at the end.

The defence, just like last week seemed to be as tight as ever.

As I say, it's difficult to judge highlights but the Waterford boys all seemed to be working really hard.

I was a bit critical of Derek here last week and hoped he would give everyone a chance. He has been seen to do that by his selection yesterday so more that happy to say I was wrong.

The team is still a work in progress but hopefully, bit by bit, it's onwards. and upwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Was critical of Paudie Mahony on this last week but what a performance from him yesterday. Proved all the doubters like myself wrong. If he can continue performing like that for the rest of the year, with the ball winning ability of Molumphy and Seamus thrown in then no reason why we can't match the top teams. Our backs are looking real solid and I would say 5 of the 6 are nailed down as starters for June.

Currently watching the Waterford minors DVD and Kieran O Connor mentions Shane Gleeson from Fourmilewater who tragically passed away a few years back, what happened there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Currently watching the Waterford minors DVD and Kieran O Connor mentions Shane Gleeson from Fourmilewater who tragically passed away a few years back, what happened there?

Farming accident

• Advertisement

Farming accident

Just looked into it, I do remember it, a sheep pen fell on him. Very tragic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Pat bennett has apologised for his comments. Whatever his reasons, at least he did it

Pat bennett has apologised for his comments. Whatever his reasons, at least he did it

That's good to hear. We all say things in the heat of the moment and we dont always apologise when we should.

The minor DVD was very badly put together I thought, Kieran o Conor's commentary and the match it self was completely out of sync.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

The minor DVD was very badly put together I thought, Kieran o Conor's commentary and the match it self was completely out of sync.

Its the gaa and waterford added to the fact most people in the committee couldnt pick their nose so hardly be surprised..

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

kerrrBLAHHH No criticism this week from you?!! I take it you're happy with the performance and all is well with you again?!! Some of those youngfellas you mentioned seemed to be potty trained or were we seeing thingsðŸ˜ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Mental to think back in 2008 when everyone stated retiring Anne we were wondering what our players were found to come from some were only starting secondary school can only hope they were inspired by our players then . I reckoned back then that it would take 5 years to be good again . but I think that in the next 3-4 years it could really happen and it could be sonnet rather than later. Exporting times ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Mental to think back in 2008 when everyone stated retiring Anne we were wondering what our players were found to come from some were only starting secondary school can only hope they were inspired by our players then . I reckoned back then that it would take 5 years to be good again . but I think that in the next 3-4 years it could really happen and it could be sonnet rather than later. Exporting times ahead
    Predictive text is a killer :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Predictive text is a killer :P

Ffs that's what I get for not proofreading

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

I couldn't believe Anne retired, I thought see would go on forever like Tony

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement