Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

STIG83 wrote: »
    The minor DVD was very badly put together I thought, Kieran o Conor's commentary and the match it self was completely out of sync.

Why couldn't they use the tv3 commentary that was in english instead of editing the audio on afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

STIG83 wrote: »
    The minor DVD was very badly put together I thought, Kieran o Conor's commentary and the match it self was completely out of sync.

Why couldn't they use the tv3 commentary that was in english instead of editing the audio on afterwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

deisedude wrote: »

Could be like the medals debacle, found the cheap way to make the DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i see they moved the NFL match between Waterford and London on Sun 9 March to Fraher Field (12.45 kick off) i thought it was a double header in Walsh Park with the hurlers ??

It would make perfect sense to have a double header it would give some supporters the chance to see the footballers in action

Really looking forward to the dublin game on sunday week. Its has a sort of championship feel to the game

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i see they moved the NFL match between Waterford and London on Sun 9 March to Fraher Field (12.45 kick off) i thought it was a double header in Walsh Park with the hurlers ??

It would make perfect sense to have a double header it would give some supporters the chance to see the footballers in action

Really looking forward to the dublin game on sunday week. Its has a sort of championship feel to the game

You feeling okay? That's surprisingly positive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cant see the Dublin game being too much like championship at all tbh, Derek McGrath has already indicated he will be trying out players and asking for some patience. The ground is likely to still be fairly sodden and heavy as well. I can see the game being competitive for sure but a long way off championship pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

KevIRL wrote: »
    Cant see the Dublin game being too much like championship at all tbh, Derek McGrath has already indicated he will be trying out players and asking for some patience. The ground is likely to still be fairly sodden and heavy as well. I can see the game being competitive for sure but a long way off championship pace.

Agreed. Comparing the game in any way to championship is utter madness

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

PTH2009 wrote: »

No offence but having seen Walsh Pk last weekend there is no way it should be hosting a double header any time soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

No offence but having seen Walsh Pk last weekend there is no way it should be hosting a double header any time soon.

Its the only stadium ive seen that actually looks worse after a refurbishmant

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Not finished yet though tbf. Are they leaving a concrete slope in place and not terracing it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

robopaddy wrote: »
    Its the only stadium ive seen that actually looks worse after a refurbishmant

I thought it was storm damage

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

KevIRL wrote: »
    Not finished yet though tbf. Are they leaving a concrete slope in place and not terracing it?

slope

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

dzilla wrote: »
    slope

Heard from someone in the construction side of things that Croke Park are now talking about funding an upgrade to terreced concrete within the next years or so and that a lot of the work being done now will be un done, seems a huge waste of time and money if true ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Heard from someone in the construction side of things that Croke Park are now talking about funding an upgrade to terreced concrete within the next years or so and that a lot of the work being done now will be un done, seems a huge waste of time and money if true ,

That is a waste of resources if the existing slope dosent form a foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

The biggest scandal is the dressing room situation. The under part of the stand is perfect for dressing rooms with the players entering the field from under the stand. we paid a million euro to build the existing ones and renovate the old ones. Some waste of money. Makes no sense at all to me, Same thing done in fraher field and spent a fortune doing up the dressing rooms. And if that wasn't bad enough they light up the place for a few football games

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

babs123 wrote: »
    The biggest scandal is the dressing room situation. The under part of the stand is perfect for dressing rooms with the players entering the field from under the stand. we paid a million euro to build the existing ones and renovate the old ones. Some waste of money. Makes no sense at all to me, Same thing done in fraher field and spent a fortune doing up the dressing rooms. And if that wasn't bad enough they light up the place for a few football games

I think the area under the middle of the stand has public toilets etc., and you've a lot of supporters walking around in that area which wouldn't be suitable if players were around.

Fraher Field dressing rooms were really poor, totally unacceptable at county standard anyway. I don't know if they've been done up recently.

Lights went into Fraher when Walsh Park couldn't get planning permission. At least there are venues at both ends of the county which can play games under lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

hardybuck wrote: »
    I think the area under the middle of the stand has public toilets etc., and you've a lot of supporters walking around in that area which wouldn't be suitable if players were around.

Fraher Field dressing rooms were really poor, totally unacceptable at county standard anyway. I don't know if they've been done up recently.

Lights went into Fraher when Walsh Park couldn't get planning permission. At least there are venues at both ends of the county which can play games under lights.

Actually there is a fair bit of space under the stand in Walsh park, currently being used as a bit of a rough storage space, the toilets are at either end with a fair distance in between, cant see why it wasn't developed in to dressing rooms, think the current dressing rooms were as much about the office space above .

Actually there is a fair bit of space under the stand in Walsh park, currently being used as a bit of a rough storage space, the toilets are at either end with a fair distance in between, cant see why it wasn't developed in to dressing rooms, think the current dressing rooms were as much about the office space above .

Most supporters come in via the Keane's Road entrance and walk across the front and back of the stand.

If you'd dressing rooms there you'd need to block off access around the front middle section. That was probably a factor in the decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

Most supporters come in via the Keane's Road entrance and walk across the front and back of the stand.

If you'd dressing rooms there you'd need to block off access around the front middle section. That was probably a factor in the decision.
    one section that you could just walk around. it doesn't make sense. one county one pitch. cork is massive and pairc ui rinn is there field. space under stand should be dressing rooms. simple as that. just doesn't make sense. if that was the case it would have been much cheaper to build the stand if nothing was going under it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

one section that you could just walk around. it doesn't make sense. one county one pitch. cork is massive and pairc ui rinn is there field. space under stand should be dressing rooms. simple as that. just doesn't make sense. if that was the case it would have been much cheaper to build the stand if nothing was going under it

Both fraher field and walsh park were redeveloped in the early 90s. Both had stands built. That was the opportunity to invest in one major county stadium instead the powers that be saw fit to split the funds between both grounds. As such were left with 2 small grounds neither capable of hosting big championship games.

• Advertisement

No, but the vast majority of the crowd in the stadium currently use that section before, during and after the game. They may have been in trouble in terms of health and safety in blocking it off.

In Pairc Ui Rinn the dressing rooms aren't under the stand. They are off in the corner of the ground in a clubhouse style building, which is very similar to Walsh Park.

Also, Cork have two grounds? Pairc Ui Chaiomh and Pairc Ui Rinn? They've also a couple of other grounds like Mallow and Clonakilty which would be similar to Carriganore.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

robopaddy wrote: »
    Both fraher field and walsh park were redeveloped in the early 90s. Both had stands built. That was the opportunity to invest in one major county stadium instead the powers that be saw fit to split the funds between both grounds. As such were left with 2 small grounds neither capable of hosting big championship games.

Was that not as a result of a split between the football and hurling crowd?? Maybe I'm mixing ye up with another county but I was almost sure there was some big fallout and the result bing that neither pitch got the required investment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭thesultan

Fraher field dressing rooms rooms have had an overhaul. The new ones are huge

Was that not as a result of a split between the football and hurling crowd?? Maybe I'm mixing ye up with another county but I was almost sure there was some big fallout and the result bing that neither pitch got the required investment?

Was that Birr/Tullamore. All the Offaly GAA games are in tullamore to help pay it off where traditionally Birr was a hurling fortress

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭grattanspuds

Can any of you lads give some insight into your footballers' chances away to Antrim at the weekend? They look decent value to me in betting terms, I know they've got a pretty professional setup now with Carew at the helm - any insider knowledge would be gratefully appreciated, thanks lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Can any of you lads give some insight into your footballers' chances away to Antrim at the weekend? They look decent value to me in betting terms, I know they've got a pretty professional setup now with Carew at the helm - any insider knowledge would be gratefully appreciated, thanks lads.

Didn't see the Clare game but that would have been a very disappointing result for them. To be honest, with 1 point from 4 they are all but out of the promotion hunt bar winning every game left. They do have to give it everything as a result.

I went to the Tipp game and to be honest they should have come away with the result in the end. This was despite only being 3 up at half time with the help of a strong wind, which Tipp had converted to a 3 point lead of their own with only 12 minutes of the second half gone.

Looked from there like Tipp would walk it but Waterford played much better in terms of build up play agains the wind, and seemed a lot fitter than Tipp. I do think though that they lookede pretty toothless up front, Paul Whyte their only threat who was well marked by Tipp and only really got going when they brought him out to half forward where he had more space and was running onto the ball and towards goal.

I would have to say it's hard to see them going all the way to Antrim and getting a result. Think Clare at Evens looks early bet of the weekend for me.

I would have to say it's hard to see them going all the way to Antrim and getting a result.

Ye and the match is on in Creggan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

WIT at 13/8 tomorrow not a bad price either. Tony Kelly is the only inter county player on the LIT team since Seanie O'Brien is after getting a suspension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

3ships wrote: »
    Ye and the match is on in Creggan!!

Don't think Ballysaggart/Creggan controversy will have any bearing on this game.

Another thing I forgot to add was Waterford finished with a better team than they started with, and they have chosen to reward Tadhg O hUallacháin and Tommy Prender on account of that. Grattan, if you hear they had the wind first half a decent bet might be Waterford/Antrim ht/ft

Enough on that, don't want to turn this into a betting thread!

• Advertisement

Ye don't think the Creggan thing makes a difference. Just thought its a interesting co-incidence the match is played there with the re developement of Casement Park. Does not make it any easier going there considering the lads have won in Belfast before.
    On the Ballysaggart/Creggan issue, I just think its one iffy rule being thrown out by another iffy rule but its done now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement