Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I think there will always be tickets to be had on the day. In 2008, we ended up with one or two extras by the time the day arrived as we called in favours from everywhere. Some Dub hurling fan got a €70 ticket for like €40 when, a week before, you'd have thought there would never be a ticket available.

If I wasn't working, I think I'd chance it and head up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The issue for the 2013 final is that you've four counties taking part on the day, three of which haven't been involved in many finals days in recent years.

Cork will hoover up a huge amount of tickets from around the country, and in places like Dublin. Clare will probably take their 20k allocation or whatever it is, and send another 10k of people up on the day.

Waterford then have only 2,000, and would easily shift three or four times that amount.

With KK in a final most years, tickets ended up changing hands in pubs in Dublin on the weekend. I'm not sure whether we'll see as much of that this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,344 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

robopaddy wrote: »
    There WILL be tickets around on the day no doubt about that, if your the type to travel up off the cuff and take your chances if you want them badly enough you will get one. but trying to source them out on time for the minor match will be the challenge.

If i do travel up on the day where is the best place to look for tickets ?? Remember travelled up for the first Rugby game in Croke Park in 2007 without tickets and didnt get them. The challenge is picking them up before the Minor game. I heard touts hang out under some tree near croke park but them guys wont sell tickets for face value until they start to panic near the senoir throw in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

PTH2009 wrote: »
    If i do travel up on the day where is the best place to look for tickets ?? Remember travelled up for the first Rugby game in Croke Park in 2007 without tickets and didnt get them. The challenge is picking them up before the Minor game. I heard touts hang out under some tree near croke park but them guys wont sell tickets for face value until they start to panic near the senoir throw in time.

stand outside the big tree pub , stood there for 20 minutes in '08 and could of had a dozen tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Any idea how the Tony Forristal/Sonny Walsh or any of the U15 or U16 teams that will be in action this weekend are shaping up? What players to watch out for etc. Who are over each of the teams also anyone know?

TF team in a group with Limerick and Clare, all games played in Mt. Sion.
    SW team in a group with Dublin, Galway and Clare, all games played in DLS Gracedieu.

Not sure if they were in it last year but good to see Antrim fielding a TF team and Kerry a SW team.

• Advertisement

Has Timmy O'Keeffe gone soft in the head!? Claiming that Waterford are happy with the ticket allocation, and that he is confident that no fans will be left without a ticket!? I suggest everyone who has yet to receive a ticket ring Timmy, as he must have a secret stash somewhere.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=199895

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

Well, his point about the cost is well made. I can't really justify it, or more pertinently it makes me less inclined to run around looking for one. Presumably his phone isn't ringing constantly. Maybe it will now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Why is the Tony Forristal on so late this year?

deiseach wrote: »
    Well, his point about the cost is well made. I can't really justify it, or more pertinently it makes me less inclined to run around looking for one. Presumably his phone isn't ringing constantly. Maybe it will now.

Well I understand that clubs are raffling tickets. I'd say there is demand for four or five times more tickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Cake Man wrote: »
    Any idea how the Tony Forristal/Sonny Walsh or any of the U15 or U16 teams that will be in action this weekend are shaping up? What players to watch out for etc. Who are over each of the teams also anyone know?

TF team in a group with Limerick and Clare, all games played in Mt. Sion.
    SW team in a group with Dublin, Galway and Clare, all games played in DLS Gracedieu.

Not sure if they were in it last year but good to see Antrim fielding a TF team and Kerry a SW team.

Looking good. We are very strong in every grade up along now. Except maybe the u17s this year but thats because those involved in the minor panel obviously wont be involved but we should still be competitive. We are at a stage now where we can go out with a genuine chance of winning these competitions and are no longer trailing behind the likes of KK and Tipp

The hard work being done with kids over the past 10 years is starting to bear fruit and we should see plenty pof evidence of that this weekend. I hope a lot of people can get out and support these teams where possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,344 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hardybuck wrote: »
    Has Timmy O'Keeffe gone soft in the head!? Claiming that Waterford are happy with the ticket allocation, and that he is confident that no fans will be left without a ticket!? I suggest everyone who has yet to receive a ticket ring Timmy, as he must have a secret stash somewhere.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=199895
    I'm looking for tickets and as I'm not a part of a club I won't get tickets. So that's one genuine fan not getting sorted for tickets

Guess ill be travelling up ticketless, hopefully toutless or done deal mite sort me out. I must stand outside that pub the big tree and hopefully pick up 2 tickets

Well I understand that clubs are raffling tickets. I'd say there is demand for four or five times more tickets.

I'm reminded of the joke about the man raffling a dead mule ;)

How many of the people willing to play €5 (or whatever it is) for a chance at an All-Ireland final ticket would be willing to pay €80 to be certain of one?

deiseach wrote: »
    I'm reminded of the joke about the man raffling a dead mule ;)

How many of the people willing to play €5 (or whatever it is) for a chance at an All-Ireland final ticket would be willing to pay €80 to be certain of one?

Sorry, when I say raffling, I actually mean that they are putting names into a hat for a draw. Apologies for confusion.

In Mayo, it appears that clubs who make a donation of €1,000 to the County Board get 20 extra tickets. These are then raffled locally by the clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

It has always being the last weekend of august for the last 20 yrs, sometimes it has fell on the 2nd and 3rd of september.

Sorry, when I say raffling, I actually mean that they are putting names into a hat for a draw. Apologies for confusion.

In Mayo, it appears that clubs who make a donation of €1,000 to the County Board get 20 extra tickets. These are then raffled locally by the clubs.

Ah right, fair enough. Point taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

alllcounty wrote: »
    It has always being the last weekend of august for the last 20 yrs, sometimes it has fell on the 2nd and 3rd of september.

Has it? Jees I always thought it was on earlier for some reason, my bad.

Cake Man wrote: »

Yea the so called weeker hurling counties are slowly coming back. Now that yoke from Kilkenny Nickey Brennan is long gone as president of the Gaa the rest of the weeker counties like westmeath, kildare etc should be encouraged to return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Yea the so called weeker hurling counties are slowly coming back. Now that yoke from Kilkenny Nickey Brennan is long gone as president of the Gaa the rest of the weeker counties like westmeath, kildare etc should be encouraged to return.

Such a missed opportunity we have had the last decade, if we win an AI in the next 5 years we will sure as hell deserve it.

here's hoping for an Minor this year ,u21 next year,and then the big one in 2015 :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Always the Last Saturday in August.

I am sure that this could happen in Waterford. Is there a club in Waterford that has €1000 right now. The County board have bled them dry over the past few years with levy after levy after levy.

• Advertisement

Joe McDonagh did as much harm. He wanted to get rid of the Tony Forristal all together in the late 90's when he heard what counties like his own Galway were putting into the weekend.

Black Suir wrote: »
    Joe McDonagh did as much harm. He wanted to get rid of the Tony Forristal all together in the late 90's when he heard what counties like his own Galway were putting into the weekend.

Up as far as 2008 we had counties such as carlow, meath, kildare, westmeath, tyrone, wicklow, mayo, armagh etc taking part in the tournament but now no longer. At least the current president of the gaa is an actual hurling man unlike the last two and wants hurling promoted throughout ireland instead of confined as a luxury to 10 or 12 counties. I remember playing in it many a year ago and it was the highlight of the summer going to training sessons in dungarvan and mount sion preparing for it at the end of august. I'd like to see young lads in football counties experience the tournament in waterford as its well run and is a chance to represent your county and promote the game.

Up as far as 2008 we had counties such as carlow, meath, kildare, westmeath, tyrone, wicklow, mayo, armagh etc taking part in the tournament but now no longer. At least the current president of the gaa is an actual hurling man unlike the last two and wants hurling promoted throughout ireland instead of confined as a luxury to 10 or 12 counties. I remember playing in it many a year ago and it was the highlight of the summer going to training sessons in dungarvan and mount sion preparing for it at the end of august. I'd like to see young lads in football counties experience the tournament in waterford as its well run and is a chance to represent your county and promote the game.

Yea great credit to Mount Sion GAA and the committee that gets behind this every year. It really is something to be proud of and long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I love going up to see the tournament and its great to look at previous years man of the match and captains of winning teams in the programme. You would see some household names from years gone by ie. Ciaran Carey,eoin Kelly Tipp I'm sure there's more cant remember right now. I see from back page of the Munster Express Noelie Crowley is a selector, great to see former players getting involved.
    Does anyone know who else is involved? And what is the team like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

€9.99 each way on the train next Sunday if ye book by tomorrow !

Have been keeping an eye on the results and scores coming through from the underage tournaments, some results/scores so far:

Tony Forristal: Waterford 1-5 Clare 2-7 FT
    Sonny Walsh: Waterford 2-7 Clare 1-7 FT
    Waterford 0-5 Dublin 0-3 HT

U16A Tournament in Cahir: Waterford 3-3 Clare 1-9 FT

TF team beaten by Limerick 3-9 to 2-7 in their second game and are now out.

SW team doing well though, beat Dublin 1-12 to 0-5 after winning their first game against Clare.

The U15's seem to be doing well also and winning their games:
    U15A Waterford 4-11 Clare 1-5 FT
    U15B Waterford 2-8 Clare 1-4 FT
    U15 (not sure if A or B) Waterford 2-12 Cork 1-6 (Still in play)

Just copying scores from various county Twitter pages, good to see more wins than losses. Long gone are the days where we'd be battered in all these tournaments.

Disappointment for our Tony Forristal team who are out having lost both games to Clare and Limerick. On the plus side Antrim are through to the semis, great to see, good luck to them. And our Sonny Walsh team are through to the final aswell which will be played this evening.

We have under 15 & 16 A & B teams out aswell and all seem to be competing very well judging by the results coming in on the twitter feed. Looking forward to Tom Keanes blog later on a colossus of information!

Anyone know about the u17s?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

U16 As play KK in the semifinal

• Advertisement

U15 A & B teams both made it all the way through to respective finals.

A's eventually beaten by Tipp, B's beat Cork in their final. Weldone lads very promising overall

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement