Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Sixteen years since Waterford were relegated out of the top division as far as I can recall

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Sixteen years since Waterford were relegated out of the top division as far as I can recall

Must be more, as Waterford got to the league final in 1998.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford 1-13 Dublin 1-10

A marvellous combination of work rate, team work and no little skill saw Waterford carve out a great win over Dublin in Walsh Park today, despite playing over 43 minutes without skipper Brick Walsh who was red carded in the 30th minute of the first half. In fact, the win was a little more comfortable than the final score indicates, as Dublin got their goal in the last minute of normal time and a point in injury time. They did have time to launch one final assault on the Waterford goal but Conal Keaney was penalised for charging with the ball and that was that.

It was a dry, mild and very overcast day with a slight breeze blowing towards the city goal which Dublin played with in the first half. However, the pitch was very soft making it difficult to pick the ball and leading to frequent throw-ins. The official attendance was a decent 4,363.

Dublin started very impressively, with their good interpassing and strong running off the ball causing Waterford all sorts of problems in the early minutes, and allowing the visitors to build up a three-point lead, 0-4 to 0-1. However, the Waterford full back line then established a vice-like grip on the Dublin inner line which they maintained right to the end of the game, and with the half back line getting to grips with the game the Waterford comeback began. They eventually edged ahead in the 20th minute and then four minutes later the vital breakthrough goal arrived. Seamus Prendergast had been causing a lot of difficulty for All-Star full back Peter Kelly, and his persistence set up the opening for Pauric Mahony (who played the first half in the corner) who collected beautifully and surged through to give Gary Maguire no chance.

Waterford were then stunned in the 30th minute when referee Cathal McAllister red carded Brick Walsh after consulting with a distant umpire. Waterford initially moved Jamie Nagle to centre back with Shane McNulty moving to the wing, and managed to get to half time five points in front, 1-10 to 0-8. Pauric Mahony accounted for 1-6 of this (1-1 from play) with Seamus Prendergast weighing in with two marvellous points while Kevin Moran and Ryan Donnelly also registered excellent scores.

At the break, Kevin Moran was moved to centre back with Nagle reverting to the wing and Shane O’Sullivan moving out to centre field. That was the move that probably won the game for Waterford, as Moran put in a powerful second half and completely dominated the middle. Dublin maintained their formation which meant their extra man was in the full back line, which made it very difficult for Waterford to create openings with long balls out of defence.

However, at the other end they performed heroically, and the amount of blocking down they did was unreal. Dublin hit several bad wides, but usually while shooting under pressure. It took them until the 28th minute before they finally raised a white flag from an Alan McCrabbe 65. At that stage Waterford were seven points in front thanks to a Mahony free and a great long-range effort from substitute Brian O’Sullivan. Waterford could have been further ahead but Mahony’s radar went a bit askew after the change of ends, as he missed with three difficult long range frees.

At the other end, Stephen O’Keeffe brought off a marvellous save from Dublin substitute Eamon Dillon while a fantastic last-ditch block by Noel Connors denied Conal Keaney as he was about to pull the trigger. Amazingly, with loads of free possession around their half back line, and 6-7 points down, Dublin kept sending low probing balls into their forwards which were repulsed time and time again by the Waterford rearguard. Ironically, the one time they tried route one, it worked for them. A high ball into the goal area was brilliantly fielded by Jamie Nagle in the 70th minute, but his intended hand pass was blocked in heavy traffic with Keaney finishing to the net. With Dillon adding a point there was only a goal in it, but Waterford were not to be denied. Conor McCormack, a late Dublin substitute, was red carded just before the end when he pulled across Jamie Nagle as the ball ran away from them over the sideline.

By now, Waterford must have the tightest defence in Division 1A of the league, with an average of 1-12 conceded in the three games thus far. The entire sextet were immense today. It is hard to believe that Tadhg Bourke was playing just his second senior game today, so assured was his display. His abilities to block opponents and stop them getting possession are extraordinary, while his own skillset on the ball is sublime. Shane Fives followed up with another authoritative display, repeatedly winning possession and bringing the ball out of defence, while Noel Connors was, well, Noel Connors.

Apart from Kevin Moran’s second half performance – and accompanying leadership – Jamie Nagle turned in another masterful performance while Philip Mahony was little behind on the other wing. Things didn’t really go right for Shane McNulty at midfield and his inexperience showed, but he did a lot of good things and he is definitely one for the future. Up front, Pauric Mahony and Seamus Prendergast were the main men. Mahony shipped a heavy tackle in the middle of the second half but recovered to win some great ball in the closing stages. Stephen Molumphy also won some good ball in the first half but faded out a bit after the change of ends. Ray Barry’s lack of physique told against him at times against the hard-tackling Dubliners but he still put in some good work and I was surprised when he was substituted halfway through the second half.

The ball did not run well for Ryan Donnelly (although he took the one chance he got) while Shane O’Sullivan put in a typical hard-working 70 minutes. All five Waterford substitutes did their bit when brought on. Brian O’Sullivan carved out three scoring chances but only nailed one of them.

Waterford: Stephen O’Keeffe, Tadhg Bourke, Shane Fives, Noel Connors, Jamie Nagle, Michael Walsh, Philip Mahony, Kevin Moran (0-1), Shane McNulty; Ray Barry, Stephen Molumphy, Shane O’Sullivan, R Donnelly (0-1), Seamus Prendergast (0-2), Pauric Mahony (1-8, 0-7 frees).
    Subtitutes: Brian O’Sullivan (0-1) for Donnelly (46); Stephen Roche for McNulty (46); Eddie Barrett for Barry (56); Barry Coughlan for Molumphy (58); Gavin O’Brien for Prendergast (63).

Dublin: Gary Maguire, Cian O’Callaghan, Peter Kelly, Niall Corcoran, Shane Durkin, Liam Rushe, Michael Carton; Colm Cronin (0-1), John McCaffrey (0-1), Joey Boland (0-1), Ryan O'Dwyer, Alan McCrabbe (0-3, all frees), Dotsy O'Callaghan (0-2), Conal Keaney (1-1), Mark Schutte.
    Subsitutes: Eamon Dillon (0-1) for Schutte (44); Seán McGrath for O’Callaghan (59); Conor McCormack for Cronin (59).

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

I have no doubt that the Brick's card appeal will be upheld if the cameras captured what happened. He put his hand up straight away to the ref as if he was expecting a free to be awarded against him for his mistake, which was clearly innocuous and accidental - it happened right in front of me. McAllister did nothing and let play go on, even though McCrabbe was on the ground right in front of him. It was only when Daly and co. starting roaring that he took any notice. McCrabbe then ran over to the Brick as he was walking off the pitch and was laughing in his face as he put his hand out to him and tapped him. There was absolutely no need to rub it in as he was walking off the pitch, very unsporting and stupid behaviour, because the CCCCCC or whatever they're called will take that into account as well.

On balance, the Brick deserved a yellow for his mistake alright, as he did tap him on the side of the helmet and accidental or not, it is a card. I'd say he'll store that smirk of McCrabbe's in his memory bank for another day.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

I agree with your analysis/report/description, BUT ....
    McCrabbe then ran over to the Brick as he was walking off the pitch and was laughing in his face as he put his hand out to him and tapped him. There was absolutely no need to rub it in as he was walking off the pitch, very unsporting and stupid behaviour

Are you sure about that? I thought the injured player spent a few minutes being treated. If this did happen its not good, the 2 players had been at each other earlier in the half an I think brick was getting the better of him, that's why the Dublin bench reacted like they did when the incident occurred.

Very brave of a ref to give a red for an incident that neither he nor his linesman saw as even a free and go on the word of an umpire 70 metres away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

robopaddy wrote: »
    Brilliant to see. No one deserves it more than shamie hes been running himself into the ground with the past 14 years. Good to see its the real fans that are heard at the games. Not like here people constantly slating him from behind a keyboard that just dont understand the game, and the concept of teamwork

He has always being our unsung heroes.
    One of the beat CF in the country. Okay his finishes might not be the best. But his aerial ability and his ability to win the ball is second to none.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Round Bale

I have no doubt that the Brick's card appeal will be upheld if the cameras captured what happened. He put his hand up straight away to the ref as if he was expecting a free to be awarded against him for his mistake, which was clearly innocuous and accidental - it happened right in front of me. McAllister did nothing and let play go on, even though McCrabbe was on the ground right in front of him. It was only when Daly and co. starting roaring that he took any notice. McCrabbe then ran over to the Brick as he was walking off the pitch and was laughing in his face as he put his hand out to him and tapped him. There was absolutely no need to rub it in as he was walking off the pitch, very unsporting and stupid behaviour, because the CCCCCC or whatever they're called will take that into account as well.

On balance, the Brick deserved a yellow for his mistake alright, as he did tap him on the side of the helmet and accidental or not, it is a card. I'd say he'll store that smirk of McCrabbe's in his memory bank for another day.

Was at the Dublin v Clare match last week. Have to say, McCrabbe is a dirty fooker. Never, ever stops niggling and belting his man, off the ball. Drove Patrick O Connor of Clare to total distraction. McCrabe's main aim from the throw in was to get O Connor sent off:mad:
    I've no doubt he tried (and succeded unfortunately) with the same taactic against Brick.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Round Bale wrote: »
    Was at the Dublin v Clare match last week. Have to say, McCrabbe is a dirty fooker. Never, ever stops niggling and belting his man, off the ball. Drove Patrick O Connor of Clare to total distraction. McCrabe's main aim from the throw in was to get O Connor sent off:mad:
    I've no doubt he tried (and succeded unfortunately) with the same taactic against Brick.

Craobh Chiarain man. That's the way they play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Craobh Chiarain man. That's the way they play.

A tidy hurler on his day but not fit to lace brick's boots

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

Unfortunately living in Galway I don't get to see too many of our league games anymore but so proud of how the lads played yesterday with 14 men. Derek McGrath is doing a fine job so far and i'll readily admit I was critical of his appointment at the start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

deisedude wrote: »
    Unfortunately living in Galway I don't get to see too many of our league games anymore but so proud of how the lads played yesterday with 14 men. Derek McGrath is doing a fine job so far and i'll readily admit I was critical of his appointment at the start
    Same. He's doing a terrific job, that squad of 25 from yesterday could be totally different when the Cork match comes around. He's doing brilliant with all the new lads coming through they are getting a lot of game time which will be very beneficial to them in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

robopaddy wrote: »
    A tidy hurler on his day but not fit to lace brick's boots

That puts him in the bottom 99% of hurlers.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Gotta say its nice that all the focus nationally is on kk trying out a lot of players and making some finds. We are doing the exact same but no one is paying much attention. Should suit us down to the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

KevIRL wrote: »
    Gotta say its nice that all the focus nationally is on kk trying out a lot of players and making some finds. We are doing the exact same but no one is paying much attention. Should suit us down to the ground

Thats it, we will fly in under the radar and take Liam from that attention seeking ex-manager of ours! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

KevIRL wrote: »

Who'd be your find of the league so far? Bourke? Does Barry count, not his first season, but he's been getting some nice score tallies. Donnelly?

Although I guess the performances of the likes of Fives, Nagle and Mahony are probably the biggest boost... may have been question marks over them in the past.

Where's Jamie Barron these days? Injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭seananigans

deisedude wrote: »
    Thats it, we will fly in under the radar and take Liam from that attention seeking ex-manager of ours! :D

To be fair he'd be the first to congratulate us if it happened

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Who'd be your find of the league so far? Bourke? Does Barry count, not his first season, but he's been getting some nice score tallies. Donnelly?

Although I guess the performances of the likes of Fives, Nagle and Mahony are probably the biggest boost... may have been question marks over them in the past.

Jamie Barron wasn't on the subs list presume he was injured. Ray Barry has shown he knows where the posts are in what I've seen of him in a few games since last summer but showed good strength yesterday too. Bourke and Donnelly have been a real bonus and ye Fives, Nagle and Mahony look to have a hold of 3,5 & 7 posns. It'll be hard for anyone else to get into the back six named yesterday. Happiest of all with Pauric Mahony with match winning contributions the last two days showing he can lead the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

3ships wrote: »
    Jamie Barron wasn't on the subs list presume he was injured. Ray Barry has shown he knows where the posts are in what I've seen of him in a few games since last summer but showed good strength yesterday too. Bourke and Donnelly have been a real bonus and ye Fives, Nagle and Mahony look to have a hold of 3,5 & 7 posns. It'll be hard for anyone else to get into the back six named yesterday. Happiest of all with Pauric Mahony with match winning contributions the last two days showing he can lead the line.

I was actually talking about Pauric, I know he shipped some criticism last year and there were doubts over his ability to contribute from play.

Of course, having Philip back is big for ye aswell. Your backline looks very solid now, and with Brick to just hold it altogether in the middle.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Going on the Dublin and Galway games you would have to say de burca. He has been brilliant,that catch in the second half yesterday was just class. He's playing like a fella that has been there for years. Now next Sunday will definitely be the acid test of all our 6 backs not just de burca. Barry has been very good also,4 pts against Galway and put in a hugh shift yesterday in what seemed like a Paul Galvin role at times. Himself and Shane Sullivan worked their socks off on the wings yesterday. I must admit I like Donnelly there's a burst of energy from him everytime he's near the action. Another fella that seems to have taken to it like a duck to water he got a great point against Galway and another fabulous score yesterday.
    Lets not get carried away its still early days but there's definitely signs of good things to come. These games will definitely stand to them and its clear to see the spirit that's amongst the whole set up. Think Jamie Barron is injured along with about 7 or 8 more! Darragh Fives would slot nicely into midfield when he comes back from injury and would strengthen us there. If we can get them all back fit for May there will be serious fighting for places not alone on the first 15 but for the match day panel aswell. What a nice headache that would be for the management to have.

I was actually talking about Pauric, I know he shipped some criticism last year and there were doubts over his ability to contribute from play.

Of course, having Philip back is big for ye aswell. Your backline looks very solid now, and with Brick to just hold it altogether in the middle.

Agree, those doubts were there for a while after setting a high benchmark in his first season but his point taking and a well taken goal yesterday shows he can be a big player this year. Seems to have taken on the scoring responsibilty well without the likes of Dillon and Shan available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

As a few have mentioned above de Burca is an obvious candidate, I've been really impressed with Donnelly also. Ray Barry counts for me as he appears to be making the transition from impact sub to solid starter well. Also both the Mahony's, Fives at full back, Nagle continuing his excellent form from last year. Most of the Waterford talk seems to centre on Prendergast, Paudie Mahony, Moran and Brick, will suit the rest not to be under the national spotlight or weight of expectation.

Others that have definitely benefited from McGrath's willingness to use lads are Barrett, Stephen Roche, Barry Coughlan and Shane McNulty. Granted to varying levels of success but experience will stand to them

Just to add tg4 have the game listed for highlights tonight and the examiner have the Clare game listed as the deferred game next Sunday.
    Don't know if the Brick incident will be shown but didn't look like much to me or the ref and linesman 5 yards away. Apparently it looks viscious from 80 yards thru a crowd of players. I don't know what the Dublin selector was doing on the pitch, I know he is a club mate of McCrabbe and was concerned maybe he thought the umpire was a doctor and that's why he approached him.
    Without being too harsh on the officials the head injury thing is hard to judge hopefully it'll be reviewed. Also kudos to the linesman for calling the wide point a wide

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Just trying to establish how many players are out injured at the moment. Who am I missing?

Darragh Fives
    Richie Foley
    Steven Daniels
    Liam Lawlor
    Maurice Shanahan
    Austin Gleeson
    Stephen Bennett
    Donie Breathnach
    Brian O Halloran
    Shane Walsh
    Martin O Neill

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭seananigans

Just trying to establish how many players are out injured at the moment. Who am I missing?

Darragh Fives
    Richie Foley
    Steven Daniels
    Liam Lawlor
    Maurice Shanahan
    Austin Gleeson
    Stephen Bennett
    Donie Breathnach
    Brian O Halloran
    Shane Walsh
    Martin O Neill

That's th bones of a team that would match the bottom half of 1b possibly better

Darragh Fives
    Richie Foley
    Steven Daniels
    Liam Lawlor
    Maurice Shanahan
    Austin Gleeson
    Stephen Bennett
    Donie Breathnach
    Brian O Halloran
    Shane Walsh
    Martin O Neill
    Jamie Barron, Jake Dillon...now we could go for promotion in 1b!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,360 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Id imagine Tony Browne is finished with Waterford as there has been no mention of him.

with all the talent we have where would he fit in ??

If we have to play in the relagation playoff against either Galway or Dublin id imagine we will have to play it away as we played both teams at home.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Id imagine Tony Browne is finished with Waterford as there has been no mention of him.

with all the talent we have where would he fit in ??

If we have to play in the relagation playoff against either Galway or Dublin id imagine we will have to play it away as we played both teams at home.
    why not talk about where our 1/4 final will take place?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,360 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    why not talk about where our 1/4 final will take place?

If its against Cork or Limerick it will be in Thurles, against Wexford or Loais probly be in Kilkenny. Still If Galway win next weekend we might not make any QF.

We deserve to be in Quarters.

Id be wary of playing Cork this early as they will get an inside on us

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Who is to say we wouldn't get an inside on them if we met!?

If it's top 4 from 1A and 1B, is it an open draw for the quarters or is it prearranged (1st v 4th etc.)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Cake Man wrote: »
    Who is to say we wouldn't get an inside on them if we met!?

If it's top 4 from 1A and 1B, is it an open draw for the quarters or is it prearranged (1st v 4th etc.)?

I agree with PTH, I reckon if we played them in the league knockout stage on current form wed beat em. Dont want to make em too wary of us, suiting us grand that were getting no media or television coverage at the moment if you ask me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement