Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Cake Man wrote: »
    Who is to say we wouldn't get an inside on them if we met!?

If it's top 4 from 1A and 1B, is it an open draw for the quarters or is it prearranged (1st v 4th etc.)?

prearranged. 1st 1A v 4th 1B and so on

Wont matter too much either way for QF's in terms of championship mind. For some odd reason the last 3 games of the league are played on consecutive weeks and then followed straight away by the QF's and relegation playoff matches a week later....ie 9th, 16th and 23rd with QF on 30th. Then the whole thing stops until April 20th and league semi finals. Huge gap between 30th March and championship

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Just watched the highlights on tg4 we have to appeal bricks sending off it was a disgraceful decision to send him off for what occurred.

Some save

okeeffesave.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

A few points on the match on Sunday
    - that was a joke of a sending off, just got to see it tonight on the tape, that definitely needs to be appealed. A yellow card at the very worst, as there was no intent whatsoever, maybe deserved a yellow for dangerous play if there was a connection to a players head, even if there was no force involved.
    - that Tadgh de Burca is some bit of stuff, people talk about our half back line, but our full back line yesterday were class
    - realise it's a big thing for the 7/8 year old kids to make the most of their 15 minutes playing the match at half time, but whoever was the adult who made the decision to march 30 kids along the end line within yards of adult men playing full force hurling, a minute or two before half time, should take a long look at himself in the mirror today, it was a bit dangerous in my opinion, they should have waited for play to stop.
    - you would have to be proud of the players yesterday the way they dug in, they fought like dogs for all the dirty ball that was going, and won a serious percentage of the 50/50 balls, the concern that we're just not scoring enough will have to be set aside on a day like yesterday when it was pure backs to the wall stuff
    - great to see a (very spontaneous) standing ovation like that for Seamus Prendergast, he has been some servant, I'd say that warmed the cockles of his heart, he was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/deise-manager-makes-case-for-appealing-walsh-red-card-261444.html

Dublin boss Anthony Daly also offered his assessment: “I have never seen Brick drawing a dirty stroke. He probably just connected with Alan’s helmet with his hurley. The umpire called it. I thought it was a free certainly, I couldn’t believe that the ref and linesman couldn’t see that it was a free.”

when the opposing manager says there is nothing in it,the GAA have to give you something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Deskjockey wrote: »
    - realise it's a big thing for the 7/8 year old kids to make the most of their 15 minutes playing the match at half time, but whoever was the adult who made the decision to march 30 kids along the end line within yards of adult men playing full force hurling, a minute or two before half time, should take a long look at himself in the mirror today, it was a bit dangerous in my opinion, they should have waited for play to stop.

Yeah, I was thinking that myself. Wouldn't have been mad about my own child being in that group. It's a distration for the players too - who's going to go balls-out into shouldering another player or blocking down a shot if there are a bunch of kids the other side of the line that you could potentially hurt?

I don't see what's wrong in running straight on with the group of them the minute the whistle blows.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

fricatus wrote: »
    Yeah, I was thinking that myself. Wouldn't have been mad about my own child being in that group. It's a distration for the players too - who's going to go balls-out into shouldering another player or blocking down a shot if there are a bunch of kids the other side of the line that you could potentially hurt?

I don't see what's wrong in running straight on with the group of them the minute the whistle blows.

This activity is organised by permanent employees of the GAA. They are above questioning by mere volunteers of the association, or even the co. board, it might appear at times. You're absolutely right in what you say, but as anyone in the know will tell you, there's no good in bringing up anything which doesn't shine a good light on the employees, or those whose status is not clear as to whether they are employees or volunteers.

It needs to be said that there are some really solid people employed, especially at the bottom of the rung, who graft away above and beyond the call of duty. Others might not often achieve those dizzy heights.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

quintain wrote: »
    I agree with your analysis/report/description, BUT ....

Are you sure about that? I thought the injured player spent a few minutes being treated. If this did happen its not good, the 2 players had been at each other earlier in the half an I think brick was getting the better of him, that's why the Dublin bench reacted like they did when the incident occurred.

Very brave of a ref to give a red for an incident that neither he nor his linesman saw as even a free and go on the word of an umpire 70 metres away

I am absolutely sure about it. You are right to say the player was on the ground for some time while the umpire was being consulted. It was when the Brick was walking off the taunting from McCrabbe was happening, I didn't get to see the TV coverage last night, or if they showed it, but it happened alright. There was no need for it, as he knew the Brick was going off after a very dubious call anyway, why mock him as well? I have to say fair play to Anthony Daly for backing up the Brick's reputation afterward, no one would have expected a red card to come from an accidental brush off a player's helmet on the blind side of the offender.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

The amazing thing about the incident is that it happened right in front of the referee and he didn't even see it as a free. He allowed Brick to play on, he batted the ball up to Seamus Prendergast who shot wide. I'm not surprised as the contact with McCrabbe seemed to be minimal and totally accidental. I'm wondering if the referee thought something had happened after Brick had played the ball to Prendergast. How an umpire 70 metres away could have made a red card offence from an incident which the referee himself clearly witnessed from 20 metres is beyond me. Hopefully the referee will have watched the video and framed his report accordingly. If not, it is hard to see how an appeal could not be upheld.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Notwithstanding the unfairness of the red card it might be worth giving Moran a run at centre back, and seeing if the Brick could revert to an attacking role as a second ball winner and take some of the load off Seamus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Notwithstanding the unfairness of the red card it might be worth giving Moran a run at centre back, and seeing if the Brick could revert to an attacking role as a second ball winner and take some of the load off Seamus.

Moran is a centre back option both now and a couple of years down the line, but I couldn't see Brick in the forwards right now.

Perhaps this should be explored in a challenge game if it hasn't already, these league games are all quite do or die at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

KevIRL wrote: »
    Some save

okeeffesave.gif

My photo of the save was pretty impressive too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

kensutz wrote: »

Throw it up here!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭kensutz

It's on The Score website in the match report

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

hardybuck wrote: »
    Moran is a centre back option both now and a couple of years down the line, but I couldn't see Brick in the forwards right now.

Perhaps this should be explored in a challenge game if it hasn't already, these league games are all quite do or die at the moment.

Brick was a serious midfielder for us not so long ago, both him anf Mpran could be used in either position as needed really!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

kensutz wrote: »

Self praise is no praise... but you're right, it's a damn fine photo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

Ropaire wrote: »
    Brick was a serious midfielder for us not so long ago, both him anf Mpran could be used in either position as needed really!

Ya but I think Moran is a better midfielder than Brick and Brick is a better centre back than Moran

Ropaire wrote: »

Yeah it's a few years ago now in fairness. Moran would have more flexibility.

I think Brick is very good at sitting in the pocket and picking up breaking ball, batting off short passes, but I couldn't see him getting up and down the field in a midfield role with as much success.

Similarly I couldn't see him having as much success at centre forward either, especially if he had an agressive centre back ploughing through him. He also hasn't struck more than 20 yards since probably 2009, so he wouldn't be much of an attacking threat!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Yeah it's a few years ago now in fairness. Moran would have more flexibility.

I think Brick is very good at sitting in the pocket and picking up breaking ball, batting off short passes, but I couldn't see him getting up and down the field in a midfield role with as much success.

Similarly I couldn't see him having as much success at centre forward either, especially if he had an agressive centre back ploughing through him. He also hasn't struck more than 20 yards since probably 2009, so he wouldn't be much of an attacking threat!

Skully tried him at center forward and he wasn't too comfortable looking there. At this stage there isn' any point to move him from cb as he's prob best in the country there. Nice to know Moran can slotvin if needed all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Is Brick def out for sunday so?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

A heart warming performance at the weekend, the players worked themselves to a standstill, and when they looked visibly tired they gritted their teeth and worked right up to the end, a great sign and with the names missing some serious competition for places on the team.
    When the players show that effort, commitment and application 2014 will be a good year

• Registered Users Posts: 38,363 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

League

A league Quarter final is a real target for us. A semi final would be a huge bonus and a league final would be amazing. A relagation playoff would damage morale.

Championship

hopefully we can get to an all ireland quarter final anything beyond is a bonus

If we lose either the Munster QF or semi we have to play either Offaly, Wexford, Dublin, Kilkenny, or Galway and then have to play another round to get the QF. Theres no easy road anywhere for us (we have to beat both last years all ireland finalists)

The worst draw for us would be to lose to Cork or Clare and then play Galway or Dublin in the 1st round of the quilifers.

Hopefully the new lads can adapt to summer hurling as league and championship hurling are much different.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭quintain

Giveitfong wrote: »
    The amazing thing about the incident is that it happened right in front of the referee and he didn't even see it as a free .... I'm not surprised as the contact with McCrabbe seemed to be minimal and totally accidental .... How an umpire 70 metres away could have made a red card offence from an incident which the referee himself clearly witnessed from 20 metres is beyond me
    I agree with a lot of what you say, I saw the incident on the day and on telly. But i dont think the contact was minimal, These guys are inter county players and tough men to boot, there are lots of things that happen accidentally on purpose. Michael was careless with his stick and hit the player in he head, for me a definite yellow card, no more. Players should have a responsibility towards everybody on the pitch and not engage in dangerous play, accidental or not.

But how the referee and linesman missed it is beyond me, and then for the ref to take the word of the umpire to give a RED card is almost as lacking in competence as to have missed it in the first place. And then, I think I am right in saying he gave waterford 17 frees against Dublins 5 ?

I'm not complaining, I thought waterford were brilliant, I think Derek has had a fantastic start, I love the league, they should play it again in summer, but the referee was all over the place on this incident. Like all refs he had a tough job but he didn't cover himself in glory on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

quintain wrote: »
    I agree with a lot of what you say, I saw the incident on the day and on telly. But i dont think the contact was minimal, These guys are inter county players and tough men to boot, there are lots of things that happen accidentally on purpose. Michael was careless with his stick and hit the player in he head, for me a definite yellow card, no more. Players should have a responsibility towards everybody on the pitch and not engage in dangerous play, accidental or not.

But how the referee and linesman missed it is beyond me, and then for the ref to take the word of the umpire to give a RED card is almost as lacking in competence as to have missed it in the first place. And then, I think I am right in saying he gave waterford 17 frees against Dublins 5 ?

I'm not complaining, I thought waterford were brilliant, I think Derek has had a fantastic start, I love the league, they should play it again in summer, but the referee was all over the place on this incident. Like all refs he had a tough job but he didn't cover himself in glory on Sunday.

Looking at it on tv it was so quick it looked like there was no contact. I have to say Alan McCrabbe didn't come across too well with his unsporting behaviour in having digs with his opposite number, trying to get him sent off and then laughing in his face and tapping him on the side of his hip when he got him sent off. McCrabbe seems to building a negative reputation, with another poster on here also highlighting his unsporting behaviour against Pat O Connor of Clare in the previous game. If I were McCrabbe I think he should focus on his hurling and stop acting the clown.

I hate to go on the negative and disturb some of the recent good vibes towards the hurling team management, but I think that in the level of debt which the county board are in, any form of foreign training camps should be avoided.

http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=211710

If they feel the need to get away somewhere, that money should be spend in Ireland. Carton House for example.

Tom Cunningham then goes on to state that the turnout for the recent table quiz was very poor, and that they will need to cut back somewhere else as a result - but will still sanction a foreign training camp. Terrific financial management there Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

deisedude wrote: »
    Ya but I think Moran is a better midfielder than Brick and Brick is a better centre back than Moran
    brick outstanding at midfield ,would love to see him there ,also would like Moran at centre back for good

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

I hate to go on the negative and disturb some of the recent good vibes towards the hurling team management, but I think that in the level of debt which the county board are in, any form of foreign training camps should be avoided.

If they feel the need to get away somewhere, that money should be spend in Ireland. Carton House for example.

Tom Cunningham then goes on to state that the turnout for the recent table quiz was very poor, and that they will need to cut back somewhere else as a result - but will still sanction a foreign training camp. Terrific financial management there Tom.
    Tom is going

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Im sorry but a table quiz. Dosent any of these boffoons know table quiz's are a thing of the past. Everyone now has iphones and the works in their pockets. It just dosent work anymore. Next theyll try and organise some random concert with jedward and and the high kings paired together. Oh wait....

u-21 footballers lost tonight in Munster championship to Tipp. 0-19 to 2-3 at Fraher Field

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

KevIRL wrote: »
    u-21 footballers lost tonight in Munster championship to Tipp. 0-19 to 2-3 at Fraher Field

Didn't they hold trials last sunday gone for that team?? If true there lucky to not have been beaten by more

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement