Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Barry coughlan playing centre back sunday

Waterford Team to play Clare on Sunday next was announced after training tonight. Best of luck to all concerned.

1. Stephen O'Keeffe - Ballygunner
    2. Tadgh de Burca - Clashmore/Kinsalebeg
    3. Shane Fives - Carrigtwohill
    4. Noel Connors - Passage
    5. Jamie Nagle - Dungarvan
    6. Barry Coughlan - Ballygunner
    7. Philip Mahony - Ballygunner
    8. Kevin Moran - De La Salle
    9. Shane O Sullivan - Ballygunner
    10. Ray Barry - Lismore
    11. Pauric Mahony - Ballygunner
    12. Stephen Molumphy - Ballyduff Upper
    13. Ryan Donnelly - Dungarvan
    14. Seamus Prendergast - Ardmore
    15. Brian O Sullivan -Ballygunner

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

IanVW wrote: »
    Waterford Team to play Clare on Sunday next was announced after training tonight. Best of luck to all concerned.

10. Ray Barry - Lismore

Coughlan will hardly start 6. Maybe on the wing, Mahony midfield and Moran CB?

deisedude wrote: »
    Coughlan will hardly start 6. Maybe on the wing, Mahony midfield and Moran CB?

Or nagle midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

I agree that our defence has been excellent with brick anchoring it over the last 2/3 years but it still looked good when Moran moved to 6 last week. I think the quality of our backs is underestimated and the plaudits generally are reserved for our few established all stars. From what we've seen in the 3 league games the speed Shane fives brings to FB has made a huge difference to our basic approach and set up. For me the next obvious step is to speed up our delivery into the forwards. Nagle and Philip to a lesser degree are good accurate passers and can go long early, brick has less confidence in his striking and his preferred option is to hand pass or scoop pass to someone within 25 yards. This is great from the point of view of protecting possession but allows opposing defences an extra second or two to organise. In many ways I think it's the main reason we create so few goal chances. If you think of ken or Fergal h and their ability to win ball and immediately deliver into the inside forwards and compare it with our speed of delivery from 6 in the last few years... This is not to say that brick hasn't done really well for us at 6 it's just to suggest that his ball winning and physical presence plus accurate short passing might help us greater from 8 to 12.

Moran is best away from a central position anchoring the defence because as good as he is attacking a ball he isnt as good going backwards.. Centre back isnt about looking stylish its anchoring a defence and being the best reader on the pitch and being selfless.. Moran reads it well but not as good as brick and sometimes his make up pace covers his flaws at times in that position..

Finally the biggest point i make as to way Moran isnt a long term I/C Centre back is he will go forward all day sweep a little but as a forward you can run off him as he doesn't really like the dirty stuff sometimes covering a corner back or being turned.. He wants to go forward all the time and ive seen half forwards at club level run off him .. He'll look good but his man could clip a rake of scores.. Leave him midfield where its his best spot and drags us up the pitch in times when the defence needs a bit of a release..

On Barry sunday id be amazed if hes centre back he could be around the middle with Shane Sull..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

KevIRL wrote: »
    Joe Dooley previews the weekends actionfor RTE, even though its this weekend he's previewing he still manages to write off our chances for both remaining games :pac:. Gotta love this type of thing really, keep expectations down to the bare minimum and all the attention away from our lads

I think hes pretty much on the money in what hes saying. Hes actually giving us a good chance I dont see where hes actually writing us off. He just says well need to work as hard as we did against Dublin to go to ennis and nolan park to get results. I dont buy into this whole davy fitz mentality that everyone is writing us off bull**** and dont care either. We were written off the past 2 years and the truth us we werent good enough.

As for the team on sunday barry coughlan and brian o sullivan seem to be getting more than their fair share of chances. Theres a few lads on the bench all through the league that dont seem to be getting a look in eg paudie prendergast.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

robopaddy wrote: »
    I think hes pretty much on the money in what hes saying. Hes actually giving us a good chance I dont see where hes actually writing us off. He just says well need to work as hard as we did against Dublin to go to ennis and nolan park to get results. I dont buy into this whole davy fitz mentality that everyone is writing us off bull**** and dont care either. We were written off the past 2 years and the truth us we werent good enough.

As for the team on sunday barry coughlan and brian o sullivan seem to be getting more than their fair share of chances. Theres a few lads on the bench all through the league that dont seem to be getting a look in eg paudie prendergast.

Hmm, fair point and I hear what you are saying. But it smacked a little bit of laziness to me, didnt see the need to stick in a prediction for the KK match as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Saying it now, I think we'll beat Kilkenny.

Saying it now, I think we'll beat Kilkenny.

And clare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

robopaddy wrote: »
    And clare?

Not so sure. Dealing without Brick, away from home, good Clare side I think it'll be tough. That said, don't expect there to be much in it.

• Advertisement

Not so sure. Dealing without Brick, away from home, good Clare side I think it'll be tough. That said, don't expect there to be much in it.

Hmm seems a fair assessment. Id like to back u up about the kk prediction but I still dont think we have enough scoring forwards. Were heavily dependant on paudie and then hoping the likes of dillon or ray barry or someone can have a good day and chip in with 3 or 4.
    Dont get me wrong I really like how were progressing this year but I cant help thinking where are the big scores and goals going to come from to really kick on and challenge. Hope im wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I too think we have a good chance of beating KK. Clare can be a bit hit and miss and we don't fear them but that being said you'd have to fancy them at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Moran is best away from a central position anchoring the defence because as good as he is attacking a ball he isnt as good going backwards.. Centre back isnt about looking stylish its anchoring a defence and being the best reader on the pitch and being selfless.. Moran reads it well but not as good as brick and sometimes his make up pace covers his flaws at times in that position..

Finally the biggest point i make as to way Moran isnt a long term I/C Centre back is he will go forward all day sweep a little but as a forward you can run off him as he doesn't really like the dirty stuff sometimes covering a corner back or being turned.. He wants to go forward all the time and ive seen half forwards at club level run off him .. He'll look good but his man could clip a rake of scores.. Leave him midfield where its his best spot and drags us up the pitch in times when the defence needs a bit of a release..

On Barry sunday id be amazed if hes centre back he could be around the middle with Shane Sull..
    I reckon they could get Coughlan to do a man marking job on Tony Kelly, like Brian Murphy did last year, he's a very good defender maybe not the best skill wise but that'l improve in time. Dunno about O'Sullivan corner forward in Ennis, I'd prefer Dillon in these conditions, I'd agree with a few posters here saying Brian is a much better player when the ground is harder

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Anyone one know when the likes of Darragh Fives, Maurice Shanahan will be back? Would be great to hear of Daniels coming back too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

IanVW wrote: »

10. Ray Barry - Lismore

Surely Dillon and Barren should be starting? Is Dara Fives not involved? What is the bench like?

Orizio wrote: »
    Surely Dillon and Barren should be starting? Is Dara Fives not involved? What is the bench like?

Barron didnt impress too much earlier this year, believe he might be injured. Dillion has had a very active Fitzgibbon campaign and McGrath is resting him a bit, only for his free taking ability Paudie Mahony wouldnt be starting each game. Definitely expect to see Jake come on at some stage Sunday mind

Teams in the middle of a spell of 4 games on the bounce spell, not surprising at all to see some changes

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Jake is starting Sunday lads.

Who's he in for TBB?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

If Moran doesn't play cb i can see Bourke goin out to mark Kelly and Coughlan in the corner, but to be honest moran is the best option for cb with molumphy going back to midfield and jake in on the 40.

That kinda post annoys me, thanks a mill for the info but could ya put a bit more detail with it? Who's he on for like?

• Advertisement

Ropaire wrote: »
    That kinda post annoys me, thanks a mill for the info but could ya put a bit more detail with it? Who's he on for like?

Jesus Ropaire your easily annoyed boi sorry for havin the bare 40 seconds to post on this lol now I'm annoyed

6. Kevin Moran - De La Salle
    8. Jake Dillon - De La Salle
    10. Ray Barry - Lismore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,892 ✭✭✭deisedude

Not doubting your sources but harsh to name a young fella like Coughlan and then not play him

Jesus Ropaire your easily annoyed boi sorry for havin the bare 40 seconds to post on this lol now I'm annoyed

6. Kevin Moran - De La Salle
    8. Jake Dillon - De La Salle
    10. Ray Barry - Lismore

Thanks for the follow up, didn't mean to offend ya if i did. Interesting lineup, they'll hardly keep Dillon midfield! Stronger lookin half back line and although i'd feel for Coughlan if he's making way for Dillon it would be a big ask to send him in on Kelly for his first start at cb

deisedude wrote: »
    Not doubting your sources but harsh to name a young fella like Coughlan and then not play him

Agree 100% but I'm sure that he knows the story.

Ropaire wrote: »
    Thanks for the follow up, didn't mean to offend ya if i did. Interesting lineup, they'll hardly keep Dillon midfield! Stronger lookin half back line and although i'd feel for Coughlan if he's making way for Dillon it would be a big ask to send him in on Kelly for his first start at cb

No problem were all friends here lol..Jake is midfield unless anything changes in next 24 hrs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Normally you'd be worried not having a centre back the quality of Brick for the game tommorow but Moran is an awesome centre back and I've seen him put in displays there that have bordered on legendary, I have no worries with him filling in tommorow for the brick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Is the game on tg4... live or deferred

The one time we wanted a kk win....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

KevIRL wrote: »
    The one time we wanted a kk win....
    That's mental...I think Galway will beat Tipp tomorrow aswel.

• Advertisement

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    That's mental...I think Galway will beat Tipp tomorrow aswel.

So whats the story now??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement