Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭revisionist

cul beag wrote: »
    And out they come in force the Scully supporters! You could read it like a book! But back to the result - it was poor stuff. The sending off definitely changed the game but in saying that we looked to have run out of ideas for a finish.

McGrath out ! This was another shambles of the highest order. And then he has the neck to express his satisfaction with the performance. 14 goals conceded in 3 games and no discernible improvement. We are heading to the abyss and fast unless the slide is halted.... At least under Michael Ryan the whole thing looked to have a structure....

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Motivator wrote: »
    So if someone dares to question the current manager they're automatically Michael Ryan supporters? What has gone on is a joke & I'm getting sick of it. When Ryan was in charge he had Mullane on the radio & the on the back pages giving it to him with both barrels. Just because McGrath is who he is there won't be a word said. This is all being swept under the carpet & being called a "transitionary period" which is a cop out & it's utter rubbish.

The players would want to take a look at themselves. They said they couldn't work with Davy Fitz so they got rid of him, they said they wouldn't work with Michael Ryan so they got rid of him. They finally got the manager they all wanted but not it has blown up in their faces. McGraths shortcomings as a manager are one thing, but the players look as if they don't give a toss which is unacceptable.

My question is, if they can't/won't play for the man they desperately wanted to manage them, who will they play for? The last 3 performances were shocking. Wides, no goal threat etc. is one thing - but a total & utter lack of effort is another & it's gone beyond a joke at this stage. Fellas will be quick to point out that it's only March & it's only the league but look how far off the pace Waterford look compared to Kilkenny, Cork, Tipperary & Clare.

Mullane seems to be gone into hiding this spring. Hes a legend of the game and in Waterford but some of his comments last year were a disgrace. Sniping at Ryan constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Motivator wrote: »
    So if someone dares to question the current manager they're automatically Michael Ryan supporters? What has gone on is a joke & I'm getting sick of it. When Ryan was in charge he had Mullane on the radio & the on the back pages giving it to him with both barrels. Just because McGrath is who he is there won't be a word said. This is all being swept under the carpet & being called a "transitionary period" which is a cop out & it's utter rubbish.

The players would want to take a look at themselves. They said they couldn't work with Davy Fitz so they got rid of him, they said they wouldn't work with Michael Ryan so they got rid of him. They finally got the manager they all wanted but not it has blown up in their faces. McGraths shortcomings as a manager are one thing, but the players look as if they don't give a toss which is unacceptable.

My question is, if they can't/won't play for the man they desperately wanted to manage them, who will they play for? The last 3 performances were shocking. Wides, no goal threat etc. is one thing - but a total & utter lack of effort is another & it's gone beyond a joke at this stage. Fellas will be quick to point out that it's only March & it's only the league but look how far off the pace Waterford look compared to Kilkenny, Cork, Tipperary & Clare.

On the other hand I hear things are going well in training and we have Tony Browne to come back. I just hope Portugal don't give them a bad beating next week. Personally I think Derek McGrath made a big mistake in bringing them to Portugal, he should have brought them to Bulgaria where the drink is dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Liberty Way

Games are about winning not PLANS as the manager is deluded by and as for Mullane he clearly is an attention seeker and not credible in his reporting as what's good for one manager is good for another even if he is his brother in law. If he can't be true as a reporter then he should no longer be reporting then again it's about the money and as we all know money. If Mullane is such a Waterford man he had the chance to play for his loved county and declined so Mullane be true to the post of reporting and treat each the same and be honest to YOURSELF to start with!!!!! Still such a sad day for the county and can't be dressed up as it's down for 2015 for Waterford and the championship only being spoken of oh god help us for the summer and all the hopes of a long summer following the team unless that miracle is found!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

How did austin gleeson play today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

He fooled us all, probably even himself into thinking he was a good manager. When he took over DLS for 2 years they went backwards just like the county team is now doing. All he ever achieved as a manager was winning 2 schools Croke cups in 07/08 spending a fortune on the team. This however is not schools hurling. We were meant to have Ger Cunningham from Limerick training the team full time this year, instead he is now training Laois. They have improved dramatically while we are playing bad hurling.

We had a good management team in place for the last 2 years and the performances from the team was clear to see we were going in the right direction. The manager and the eastern players are at fault here. Derek put notions into their heads that he could take them to the next level and if they had a meeting to replace Ryan then he would come in. Straight away when odds were given who would be the next manager it was Derek McGrath that was number one. He has fooled himself and the players. For the supporters of the county team there doesn't look like any hope for the future with the present manager in charge with his over thinking to the point of confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,360 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Can see the brick calling it a day after we exit the championship.

I usually look forward to the championship but this year it's different. Going to get hammered by Cork and then lose to someone like Laois or Wexford in the qualifiers.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

He fooled us all, probably even himself into thinking he was a good manager. When he took over DLS for 2 years they went backwards just like the county team is now doing. All he ever achieved as a manager was winning 2 schools Croke cups in 07/08 spending a fortune on the team. This however is not schools hurling. We were meant to have Ger Cunningham from Limerick training the team full time this year, instead he is now training Laois. They have improved dramatically while we are playing bad hurling.

We had a good management team in place for the last 2 years and the performances from the team was clear to see we were going in the right direction. The manager and the eastern players are at fault here. Derek put notions into their heads that he could take them to the next level and if they had a meeting to replace Ryan then he would come in. Straight away when odds were given who would be the next manager it was Derek McGrath that was number one. He has fooled himself and the players. For the supporters of the county team there doesn't look like any hope for the future with the present manager in charge with hais over thinking to the point of confusion.
    like I said there is no good time to get rid ,but get rid is the solution 8 points down with 8 minutes a free and he instructed Mahoney to point it. Negative management which results in 13 goals 55 points conceded in three games. He is a spoofer ,get rid ,,, ,ill do it

Why get rid of him??? the players want him and after all these players do not deserve anyone only Derek McGrath cos they got the chairman Cunningham to appoint him. A bit late now hi lighting his negatives it doesn't look like he has many positives. It was pointed out that McGrath biggest asset is his own importance and usually revolves around him and about him. He has not always been honest in dealings only for his own not the County and that is not a nice trait much prefer people to be up front. OMG what can we do who in the name of moses would touch this County??? The devil!!!!! Maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Back to the dark days. Can see Laois and the likes beating us in the championship.

It's going to be a very short summer. Cork will destroy us in 2 months time and then it's one of the losing Leinster semi finalists that we have to play

It's hard to think positive. McGrath is convinced this 3 year plan is going to work and is not worried about the present.

Let's hope the lads train hard in Portugal and stay out of the nightclubs
    Please no more talk about three year plans!!!! It is only a cop out!!! Last year we avoided relegation and put up a spirited performance against Kilkenny. The ousted selection committee was not afraid to bring in outside expertise. This selection committee lacks the skills and knowledge necessary to take Waterford forward. Money being spent on a trip to Portugal would be better spent on bringing in outside help. We are only ten weeks from the Cork game. If as appears likely at this juncture Waterford is hammered, Derek McGrath is finished as manager. If only to save his own job he should bring in outside coaches. I wonder is John Mullane happy now? He lit the fuse last year which undoubtedly contributed to the player unrest. Now look at the result. What excuses will he put forward now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

God. Where to start. Same s***, different day.

So many negatives from the performance, player and management wise.

Individually Shane O'Sullivan must take some blame for a most stupid sending off, at a time when Waterford were up and had some scored some nice points from play. With the system being played, 14 men never had any hope whatsoever of keeping tack with the dubs.

I couldn't believe that Brian O'Sullivan lasted the game again. Ray Barry looked far more dangerous through the game, scored 1-1 but was shipped off out to midfield for the most time. McGrath moves him back inside in the second half and gave him 2 minutes before he hauls him off. Go figure. Brian O'Sullivan got one point early on and then had, by my estimation, 2 wides and was largely anonymous.

I don't feel I'm unfairly singling him out as he's had so much game time and has not at any stage impresses. I think every one that was at the game would agree Shane Walsh made so much more of a contribution for the short period he was on the pitch and it was good to see him looking like he was able to give it 100%.

On that note, another smack of desperation/ignorance from the sideline was bringing on Daragh Fives when he was obviously not fit for it. Let me also point out this ridiculous fact. Molumphy got injured, was quickly called ashore and Fives went on without any significant warmup!! Absolutely crazy. Coming back from injury. Trying to get up to the intensity of a relegation playoff and he walks straight on the pitch into midfield cold? Is it any surprise he ony lasted ten or fifteen minutes. Should absolutely not be allowed to happen and is something you'd see in a junior game. The medical team would want to get their fingers out and stop that rubbish happening. Seems to be a lot of injuries already this year. What is the story with Jake Dillon, Richie Foley, Maurice Shanahan, Brian O'Halloran, Liam Lawlor......

Surely Lawlor should have got some game time if fit as he is the only change player missing from that back line that has turned from fairly mean to porous

To finish on a positive..... I think Paudie scored ten again today. Things would look so much worse if he hadn't been so accurate the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭fuinneamh

The problem is really in our development of native waterford managers. The waterford job was the first intercounty job for each of the last 3 managers and that is shocking on behalf of the county board. You see how Davy used his time in Waterford as an apprenticeship for the Clare job and how that has stood to him. We need potential
    Candidates to be heading off to either fitz teams and/or other counties to gain experience and come back as ready made managers who are not learning on the job. Club level is not an adequate CV for an intercounty job. From my point of view , McGrath could come good with experience but we're wasting time until he gets there. We need experienced managers not apprentices over the team but this is the Waterford county board we're dealing with....

Cop out....... today seems like one of those..... hard to credit going for a point at that stage..... Would BOS have been a former student? The reality is the entire setup must accept responsibility for today's fiasco from board to management to players actually the players are the major problem as they have failed to walk the walk no good talking must make actions count and they are regularly failing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

I listened to the game on WLR and have to say that they were afraid to call it as a bad day, kept on about the positives. Ah we're relegated and shipping more goals than anyone could be happy with.

I know there's people in Ryan's camp and McGrath's camp on here but we've gone backwards since last year with a system that, once you go behind, you can't get scores with. Anyone who can't see that is blind. It would take a wild stretch for anyone to think that we'll beat Cork in 7 weeks.

And if anyone comes on and says phrases like the players are flying in training, they love the manager, there's great unity in the camp - that's only good stuff for growing roses. They don't seem to have the fight where it matters, which is on the pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

glick6 wrote: »
    God. Where to start. Same s***, different day.

So many negatives from the performance, player and management wise.

Individually Shane O'Sullivan must take some blame for a most stupid sending off, at a time when Waterford were up and had some scored some nice points from play. With the system being played, 14 men never had any hope whatsoever of keeping tack with the dubs.

I couldn't believe that Brian O'Sullivan lasted the game again. Ray Barry looked far more dangerous through the game, scored 1-1 but was shipped off out to midfield for the most time. McGrath moves him back inside in the second half and gave him 2 minutes before he hauls him off. Go figure. Brian O'Sullivan got one point early on and then had, by my estimation, 2 wides and was largely anonymous.

I don't feel I'm unfairly singling him out as he's had so much game time and has not at any stage impresses. I think every one that was at the game would agree Shane Walsh made so much more of a contribution for the short period he was on the pitch and it was good to see him looking like he was able to give it 100%.

On that note, another smack of desperation/ignorance from the sideline was bringing on Daragh Fives when he was obviously not fit for it. Let me also point out this ridiculous fact. Molumphy got injured, was quickly called ashore and Fives went on without any significant warmup!! Absolutely crazy. Coming back from injury. Trying to get up to the intensity of a relegation playoff and he walks straight on the pitch into midfield cold? Is it any surprise he ony lasted ten or fifteen minutes. Should absolutely not be allowed to happen and is something you'd see in a junior game. The medical team would want to get their fingers out and stop that rubbish happening. Seems to be a lot of injuries already this year. What is the story with Jake Dillon, Richie Foley, Maurice Shanahan, Brian O'Halloran, Liam Lawlor......

Surely Lawlor should have got some game time if fit as he is the only change player missing from that back line that has turned from fairly mean to porous

To finish on a positive..... I think Paudie scored ten again today. Things would look so much worse if he hadn't been so accurate the past few weeks.
    Darragh Fives scored the goal..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Did anyone else see Paudie Mahony playing wing back for the last 10mins?

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Darragh Fives scored the goal..

Ha. Fair enough. Bout ten of us at the far end thought it was Ray Barry.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

The training camp in Portugal should be cancelled next week replaced by an army boot camp to put a bit of fight in the players not to give up when the going gets tough.

I just don't think Waterford have the players at present to compete with the teams in the top tier. Getting hammered every week is not good for team confidence. Maybe 2 years in second division will help younger players develop faster.

On Derek McGrath I think wrong choice. And also having Dan Shanahan as a selector, what a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Games are about winning not PLANS as the manager is deluded by and as for Mullane he clearly is an attention seeker and not credible in his reporting as what's good for one manager is good for another even if he is his brother in law. If he can't be true as a reporter then he should no longer be reporting then again it's about the money and as we all know money. If Mullane is such a Waterford man he had the chance to play for his loved county and declined so Mullane be true to the post of reporting and treat each the same and be honest to YOURSELF to start with!!!!! Still such a sad day for the county and can't be dressed up as it's down for 2015 for Waterford and the championship only being spoken of oh god help us for the summer and all the hopes of a long summer following the team unless that miracle is found!!

Mullane writes a column for the duration of the all ireland championship only, not the league. Plus I dont see why he's even being mentioned in your discontent with the team the man retired end of. Dont try make out he turned his back on his county thats just petty carry on now. Were all cheesed off over today but we're pointing fingers at the wrong person in Mullane

Looks like we are playing defensive as apposed to 15 v 15 in traditional style line up. Why the heck then do we not play all defenders and hope for the best... or is that what we are doing it is very hard to make out from week to week what the system is but I make out its like soccer defend and hope for the best on the break!! Looks like the dressing room stay after Kilkenny defeat did not work and was there a lock in today after the relegation drop?? Are they still going on the training trip??? For what now?? after today that will be a joke please for gods sake if not for Waterfords stay at home and play challenges. Who is in charge? The players? If so they are not showing it where it matters and today was prime example. The management? They out of their depth! !! Looks like the county board are distancing themselves or are they??

• Advertisement

In relation to Mullane he has been on RTE for the league and I clearly stated that he should report as he sees it as opposed to being selective and it's your opinion. I am stating fact!!! Mullane is well able to waffle when it suits him. He was a good hurler and that is it for him. Get over it this is about the state of the game with the county team and his buddies and family!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublin Dave 2014

A new low for Waterford hurling today . Derek McGrath is out of his depth .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

a good oul session by the pool in portugal and ye will be flying it for cork!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

cul beag wrote: »
    And out they come in force the Scully supporters! You could read it like a book! But back to the result - it was poor stuff. The sending off definitely changed the game but in saying that we looked to have run out of ideas for a finish.

would you blame ryan supporters for being mad!!!
    this new management were meant to push the team on....
    instead they get relegated (never even in play off under ryan!!)
    in a game that was more or less over as a contest with 15 mins to go today-they were just going through the motions:mad::mad::mad:

imagine the slating he'd rightly get if this happened under ryan

as for it being poor result - jesus that's being kind...the tide was starting to turn when Sullivan was sent off and wheels came off altogether then

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    On the other hand I hear things are going well in training and we have Tony Browne to come back. I just hope Portugal don't give them a bad beating next week. Personally I think Derek McGrath made a big mistake in bringing them to Portugal, he should have brought them to Bulgaria where the drink is dirt cheap.

if we're depending on tony brown to save or season,things are worse than they appear from outside looking in!!
    :pac::pac:
    The training camp in Portugal should be cancelled next week replaced by an army boot camp to put a bit of fight in the players not to give up when the going gets tough.

I just don't think Waterford have the players at present to compete with the teams in the top tier. Getting hammered every week is not good for team confidence. Maybe 2 years in second division will help younger players develop faster.

On Derek McGrath I think wrong choice. And also having Dan Shanahan as a selector, what a joke.

whats the point in developing against division 2 teams when its plain to see the difference in standreds...with all the young players Waterford have... they should be aiming to challenge for all Irelands in year or two...not struggling to get out of division two

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Mullane writes a column for the duration of the all ireland championship only, not the league. Plus I dont see why he's even being mentioned in your discontent with the team the man retired end of. Dont try make out he turned his back on his county thats just petty carry on now. Were all cheesed off over today but we're pointing fingers at the wrong person in Mullane
    Beg to disagree with you. He sniped form the side-lines last year. He got what he wanted namely the end of the tenure of Michael Ryan. We saw the result today. He played a role in inciting discontent. He is not above criticism. If he dishes it out he must be man enough to take it. Will he now lash out at this management team in the interests of consistency? Sure we all know the answer to that, don't we?

I read posts here singing the praises of the new management team. The reality is that it lacks the necessary expertise. Harsh but true!! If Derek McGrath wishes to save his job he had better bring in some outside expertise. One thing is certain: If Waterford is humiliated against Cork his days will be numbered.
    I don't want to have to listen to the langers are they rub our noses in the dirt once more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

mullane was always a coward

Mod: Take a week off. Don't post on this thread again on your return.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublin Dave 2014

A new low for Waterford hurling today . Derek McGrath is out of his depth .

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Your some warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Motivator

The smart comments about Mullane I don't agree with, what he did for Waterford & the great days out he gave the supporters for 10 years we will probably never see anything like them again. However, the stuff he came out with last year didn't do him any favours & a lot of people are annoyed over it. He owes us nothing but he should really get off the fence & call it like it is. He was never one for holding his tongue so he should be consistent now when the chips are down.

With regards to this training camp, I don't agree with it whatsoever. It is of no benefit to the team at all. These guys have been around each other for years & all no each other inside out. Fitness can't be be a problem for an intercounty team in this day & age, these days county teams have the best of technology available for fitness training so it hardly makes sense to be heading away. The real problem has to be the kind of hurling training these guys are doing. The players touch is awful, their composure is almost non existent & their decision making is terrible for this time of year. For all their talk early in the year, the players are letting themselves down. Whilst I admire them greatly for their commitment & their sacrifices they really haven't done themselves any favours in the last year.

Waterford was once everyone's second favourite team but the carry on the last couple of years has really soured people's perception of this team. Things are tough & a big couple of months are ahead before we meet Cork. I really hope the players shoulder the blame for this mess they're in. I just cannot understand the lack of effort in the last 3 games. I hope things change, quickly, because this Cork game will sneak up on us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

To be fair your not exactly william wallace yourself

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement