Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

Quite a few positional changes on the team, lets hope they perform on the day & if they do that I think they'll win.

Waterford Minor Hurling Panel v Galway - ALL IRELAND FINAL.
    1. Gavin Power Dungarvan

2. William Hahessey Clonea
    3. Kevin Daly Dungarvan
    CAPTAIN 4. Cian Leamy Ballyduff Upper
    5. Michéal Harney Bonmahon
    6. Austin Gleeson Mount Sion
    7. Shane Bennett Ballysaggart
    8. Mark O'Brien Ferrybank
    9. Tom Devine Modeligo
    10. Stephen Bennett Ballysaggart
    11. DJ Foran Portlaw
    12. Michael Kearney Ballyduff Upper
    13. Adam Farrell De La Salle
    14. Patrick Curran Dungarvan
    15. Colm Roche Shamrocks

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

1. Gavin Power Dungarvan
    3. Kevin Daly Dungarvan CAPTAIN
    4. Cian Leamy Ballyduff Upper
    9. Tom Devine Modeligo
    11. DJ Foran Portlaw
    15. Colm Roche Shamrocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

comeraghs wrote: »
    Quite a few positional changes on the team, lets hope they perform on the day & if they do that I think they'll win.

1. Gavin Power Dungarvan

3. Kevin Daly Dungarvan
    CAPTAIN 4. Cian Leamy Ballyduff Upper
    9. Tom Devine Modeligo
    11. DJ Foran Portlaw
    15. Colm Roche Shamrocks

Colm Roche and Farrell have been starting in the half forward line all the year and Bennett and Kearney in the inside line yet now they change for the final? Strange one. But Id definetly think we needed Stephen Bennett further out the field the last day as there was nothing going in to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

It's the best panel we've had in years, but you couldn't say the same about the management. Their team selection baffled me at the beginning of the year, when there's periods of dominance by the other team in games they really struggle to try combat it and they really can't read the game properly. the last 15mins against kk the backs were just clearing the ball and praying DJ Foran or Paddy Curran would win the ball and pull a wonder score out of their arse. We can't let this happen, if the galway half back line are cleaning up early they need to act quickly, which is why I think Cormac Curran should get a starting place as he's a great ball winner, something Farrell lacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

robopaddy wrote: »
    Colm Roche and Farrell have been starting in the half forward line all the year and Bennett and Kearney in the inside line yet now they change for the final? Strange one. But Id definetly think we needed Stephen Bennett further out the field the last day as there was nothing going in to him.
    They won't start like that, Farrell and DJ Foran to wing forward, Colm Roche to centre forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

PTH2009 wrote: »
    I just hope it's not going to be like our Senoir final appearance in 08 and we get hammered. We need too hit the ground running from throw in, play for the full 60+ mins. Our back room team need to be on form because Galway Hve avstrong and experienced management team and will knw this level dwn to a tee and probly Hve watched many tapes of Waterford playing.

Heading up myself so please god I pick up a ticket at the big tree pub or around Croke Park on Sunday.

Will there be a homecoming Monday night if we win. Surly the lads would not be allowed drink on Sunday night because of the law, I hear there is a banquet thing on Sunday night for the Waterford team

What are the odds on a draw

there was a thing you could pay 35 to join them for the meal, dunno if you can still do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

On that note I have to get in here too as I've been bottling this up for weeks! I like Premierstone, I think he has some good posts but for the love of God, please stop using 'he's' as a replacement for the pronoun 'his'.

For example: 'He plays for he's club' (incorrect). 'He plays for his club' (correct).

I know it might sound like that phonetically, but not in writing!

I'm also watching you Mountainlad and Thinkstoomuch, you are both guilty of this error!! :D:)

I always say his when I'm speaking. Didn't realize I'd write it, totally inadvertent if I am. I'm an awful man for not reading over my posts for spelling out of sheer laziness (and concise posts aren't a strength of mine either) so apologies If I do, I'll watch out for that :P
    It would indeed show mental fortitude, I was referring to that game as a flaw that is in this Waterford team tbh, when a team gets a run on them they really really struggle, it has happened on 4 ocasions now.

Was reliably told by numerous Kilkenny folk all year it was the weakest minor team that they have had in many a year, and I seen them in two challenge games against Tipp myself and they were very ordinary tbh.

Fully agree re form lines at minor level and they are by their very nature an icredibly unreliable grade.

They haven't played for 60 minutes it would appear, I'd gladly accept that point. Teams to get a run on them, that's a good description of it. I think that does come down to game management though. In scenarios like that, you need to identify where your struggling and make the appropriate change. Not been done well so far and something they need to improve on.

I just haven't seen enough of Kilkenny. They were beaten at home by Wexford which spelled trouble, but whatever happened to Laois they had no bother against them on either occasion.

This is it, so who knows what way either side will come out the next day. I doubt Waterford, for example, are 20 points better than the Clare team they beat this year but that's just how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

I always say his when I'm speaking. Didn't realize I'd write it, totally inadvertent if I am. I'm an awful man for not reading over my posts for spelling out of sheer laziness (and concise posts aren't a strength of mine either) so apologies If I do, I'll watch out for that :P

They haven't played for 60 minutes it would appear, I'd gladly accept that point. Teams to get a run on them, that's a good description of it. I think that does come down to game management though. In scenarios like that, you need to identify where your struggling and make the appropriate change. Not been done well so far and something they need to improve on.

I just haven't seen enough of Kilkenny. They were beaten at home by Wexford which spelled trouble, but whatever happened to Laois they had no bother against them on either occasion.

This is it, so who knows what way either side will come out the next day. I doubt Waterford, for example, are 20 points better than the Clare team they beat this year but that's just how it goes.

I'm only messing with you, your posts are always intelligent and articulate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I'm only messing with you, your posts are always intelligent and articulate!

Sound man, I do my best I suppose!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

On that note I have to get in here too as I've been bottling this up for weeks! I like Premierstone, I think he has some good posts but for the love of God, please stop using 'he's' as a replacement for the pronoun 'his'.

For example: 'He plays for he's club' (incorrect). 'He plays for his club' (correct).

I'm also watching you Mountainlad and Thinkstoomuch, you are both guilty of this error!! :D:)

lol fair enough, I'll make an effort in future ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

Has anyone got the full panel for the minor game or do they just release the starting 15?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

That's the way the Tipperary people talk. Its a bit like some in Waterford City who 'plays for me club'.

comeraghs wrote: »
    from Waterfordgaa.com

1. Gavin Power Dungarvan
    2. William Hahessey Clonea 3. Kevin Daly Dungarvan CAPTAIN 4. Cian Leamy Ballyduff Upper 5. Michéal Harney Bonmahon 6. Austin Gleeson Mount Sion 7. Shane Bennett Ballysaggart 8. Mark O'Brien Ferrybank 9. Tom Devine Modeligo 10. Stephen Bennett Ballysaggart 11. DJ Foran Portlaw 12. Michael Kearney Ballyduff Upper 13. Adam Farrell De La Salle 14. Patrick Curran Dungarvan 15. Colm Roche Shamrocks

Club Déise last night on Facebook put up the same 15 players, but had the team lined out differently. They had 1-9 in the same positions, but they had Foran, Roche and Farrell in the half forward line with Curran, Bennett and Kearney in the full forward line. Lets hope that we are not going down the road as some senior teams with the naming dummy teams at Minor level.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    It's the best panel we've had in years, but you couldn't say the same about the management. Their team selection baffled me at the beginning of the year, when there's periods of dominance by the other team in games they really struggle to try combat it and they really can't read the game properly. the last 15mins against kk the backs were just clearing the ball and praying DJ Foran or Paddy Curran would win the ball and pull a wonder score out of their arse. We can't let this happen, if the galway half back line are cleaning up early they need to act quickly, which is why I think Cormac Curran should get a starting place as he's a great ball winner, something Farrell lacks.

I am delighted someone said that. I was talking to two men in the last few days who are watching Waterford hurling at all levels, both at Club and Inter county level going back to the mid 1950's. They told me for the life of them could not figure out why they have not invited Peter Power to be with the team after the semi final win over Kilkenny. They also have issues with those over the team and feel they lack something, and said they will be praying that Mattie Murphy wont be like the Old Fox against them on the line. They feel that maybe bringing Peter into the set up would take some of the lime light away from them if Waterford were to win and feel maybe that they will want to take all the praise. They pointed out that Dungarvan CBS brought Peter in to work with their teams about five years ago and that they would not have won as much as they have in recent years if he was not with them and that Dungarvan Colleges would not have won two Harty Cups and one Croke Cup without having the Kilgobnet man around the team.

Waternut wrote: »
    Has anyone got the full panel for the minor game or do they just release the starting 15?

County Board for some reason only give 1-15 for all teams.

Black Suir wrote: »
    I am delighted someone said that. I was talking to two men in the last few days who are watching Waterford hurling at all levels, both at Club and Inter county level going back to the mid 1950's. They told me for the life of them could not figure out why they have not invited Peter Power to be with the team after the semi final win over Kilkenny. They also have issues with those over the team and feel they lack something, and said they will be praying that Mattie Murphy wont be like the Old Fox against them on the line. They feel that maybe bringing Peter into the set up would take some of the lime light away from them if Waterford were to win and feel maybe that they will want to take all the praise. They pointed out that Dungarvan CBS brought Peter in to work with their teams about five years ago and that they would not have won as much as they have in recent years if he was not with them and that Dungarvan Colleges would not have won two Harty Cups and one Croke Cup without having the Kilgobnet man around the team.

I think its widely known that the management are not of the calibre required at this level, but it has to be remembered that they are volunteers rather than fellahs who were head hunted. Its more of a case that they put themselves forward when the quality of personell just wasnt there.

Not too many people want to get involved with the lack of resources available to the county board these days and Im sure theyve done their best and look at the end of the day were in an All Ireland Final. Some might say this is inspite of management rather than because of it but nonetheless I dont think anyone can really argue with the team thats picked on Sunday and after that its up to the players after they cross the white line.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭DeiseDawg

The Minors are in an All Ireland final and some posters feel they have to keep knocking the management team. Unbelievable! Two days to go to an All Ireland final and instead of getting behind the squad they're having a rant against management. Do you think that would happen in any other county?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

DeiseDawg wrote: »
    The Minors are in an All Ireland final and some posters feel they have to keep knocking the management team. Unbelievable! Two days to go to an All Ireland final and instead of getting behind the squad they're having a rant against management. Do you think that would happen in any other county?

I think that there has been some fair and impartial analysis of the team. If you want to go on and believe that everything is brilliant, and there are no flaws there, that's your opinion and you're well entitled to it.

Personally, I've seen some fairly glaring tactical errors which have caused be serious concern, and I'm certainly not along there. They've probably been getting away with it to date due to some of the individual brilliance in the squad.

I don't think they'd get be getting the same criticism in other counties because they probably wouldn't have been in a position to manage a minor team in a lot of other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I dont think anyone can really argue with the team thats picked on Sunday and after that its up to the players after they cross the white line.

This is quite wide of the mark, and a statement which I always cringe at.

Yes, players must perform on the day, but management must manage for the 60 mins, and the halftime period also. Switches, instructions, substitutions. It's not like 1948 where you picked a team and couldn't bring on any subs!

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭cornerboy

I think its widely known that the management are not of the calibre required at this level, but it has to be remembered that they are volunteers rather than fellahs who were head hunted. Its more of a case that they put themselves forward when the quality of personell just wasnt there.

Not too many people want to get involved with the lack of resources available to the county board these days and Im sure theyve done their best and look at the end of the day were in an All Ireland Final. Some might say this is inspite of management rather than because of it but nonetheless I dont think anyone can really argue with the team thats picked on Sunday and after that its up to the players after they cross the white line.

Sounds a bit like Skully.....put himself forward when no one else wanted it. **** is your thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭alllcounty

The last day they were very fustrating to watch. They clearly had the better individual hurlers but kilkenny's team play was far superior.

While KK used the space down the wings to hit ball for their pacy forwards to run out to and gather, WD hit high aimless ball down on the forwards around 45 yards out from the KK goal. The lack of quality ball to the full forward line meant they came out and crowded the area where the half forwards gathered with the result of the KK backs breaking up any attacking options.

Under the puckouts KK sent one man up to bat the ball down to a team-mate who turned around to receive the ball. WD used 2 players to go up for the ball and watched as KK picked up the breaking ball and attacked our defence.

KK back's were more disciplined as they got 2 players around the waterford forwards and put them under pressure to get a shot off. WD put hands on the opposition shoulder, hit them with hurl a few times when they went up for ball, over committed in the tackle and gave away numerous frees which resulted in points that was totally unnecessary.

Cant see their style of play changing the few weeks since the semi. It should be another straight forward Galway minor title which is a shame from our point of view.

Black Suir wrote: »
    That's the way the Tipperary people talk. Its a bit like some in Waterford City who 'plays for me club'.

no one should ever say that unless used in the sentence "I loves me county" :D

alllcounty wrote: »
    The last day they were very fustrating to watch. They clearly had the better individual hurlers but kilkenny's team play was far superior.

While KK used the space down the wings to hit ball for their pacy forwards to run out to and gather, WD hit high aimless ball down on the forwards around 45 yards out from the KK goal. The lack of quality ball to the full forward line meant they came out and crowded the area where the half forwards gathered with the result of the KK backs breaking up any attacking options.

Under the puckouts KK sent one man up to bat the ball down to a team-mate who turned around to receive the ball. WD used 2 players to go up for the ball and watched as KK picked up the breaking ball and attacked our defence.

KK back's were more disciplined as they got 2 players around the waterford forwards and put them under pressure to get a shot off. WD put hands on the opposition shoulder, hit them with hurl a few times when they went up for ball, over committed in the tackle and gave away numerous frees which resulted in points that was totally unnecessary.

Cant see their style of play changing the few weeks since the semi. It should be another straight forward Galway minor title which is a shame from our point of view.

Steady on there Pessimistic Pat. Anything can happen on any given day especially with minors you just dont know how players will react to the big occasion often the form book goes completely out the window. It could be a wide open 'off the cuff' type of game if we could get an early goal or 2 like the last day it could open the whole thing up and that would suit us down to the ground. We have some real match winners in our forward line and all the tactics in the world cant substitute for class and theres no doubting the quality is there.

If it comes down to a tactical battle on the line we are definetly screwed and I think partly what lost it for us in the Munster Final drawn game was being outfoxed on the line and Limericks ability to see where the game could be won and lost at a crucial stage. Limerick had three ex senior intercounty managers in their backroom team in Eamon Cregan Jerry Wallace and Joe McKenna and we couldnt compete with that type of experience. Kilkenny were an extemely well drilled and well organised side aswell and Galway will be the same and the quality of preperation that has gone into those minor teams we are simply not at the same level. But like I say we have the quality of players to win it at the end of the day you'll always have a chance when you have that

A fine lad. Hope he gets to lift the cup hes been excellent all year for club, school and county.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

So anyway getting in the spirit of this thread with a management team who haven't a clue and players who dont know how to finish off a team how much do you all think Galway will beat us by. 8, 10 maybe 15 points. How did this team get to an All-Ireland, oh yeah they won the games that had to be won through the back door to get there. I'm going to sign off on a positive note anyway. Come on the baby Deise.

I get the feeling that you think I am having a go at the management team or saying that they are not up to the job. I am not. What I am saying is that Galway will have better fellows on the line, fellows who wont be afraid to make a move or wont leave it too late to make it. I just feel that if someone like Peter was on the line even if it was to advise the management team, it would be a help for Waterford. I don't think with a little bit more experience the leads we had against Limerick in the Munster Final and the replay would be lost.

• Advertisement

I dont know how many abroad read this thread , but i was away the lat 2 summers, and when these kinda things went on i wanted to feel closer and yet it made me feel further away ., this article hits a lot of that home .

for anyone who is away I encourage you to read this article ,and hope you make it home soon.

http://examiner.ie/lifestyle/features/when-a-hurling-final-made-waves-on-the-indian-ocean-242112.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement