Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I've played on at probably two county teams where the winning club only had one representative on the team the following year.

Definitely on one of those years there was a chap who ended up starting as captain who should have been on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deiseforall

Will repeat again - last years Waterford Minor Hurling Captain was a credit to himself, his Club and the whole County - what a pity it seems his choice as same is now being brought into question by some.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Will repeat again - last years Waterford Minor Hurling Captain was a credit to himself, his Club and the whole County - what a pity it seems his choice as same is now being brought into question by some.

Nobody has suggested anything like what you are alluding to, you have completely taken up the wrong end of the stick, one poster questioned the policy in place in general and the majority agree that it is illogical but no one ever questioned Daly's merit.

Captain in the GAA is merely a ceremonial role anyway, its not like Rugby where they have a direct input, any successfull team will have ''captains'' and ''leaders'' all over the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/now-i-know-its-not-just-me-i-know-there-are-others-with-that-same-companion-in-life-depression-30164232.html

Wayne Hutchinson has a blog on his battle with depression, some balls to go public with it in fairness to the lad and hopefully it makes a difference to anyone in the same boat. I thought he was dropped off the panel a bit quick by Skully, v good hurler and footballer, but I guess we don't think a huge amount about what these lads have to go through in their private lives and only really think of them as lads who represent the county. These lads are human like the rest of us, hopefully the lad gets all the support he deserves. Can't be easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Yes Colm works for RTE!!!!!! Pity Colm did not berate RTE for its failure to cover National Hurling/Football League matches LIVE. What has RTE done for the club championships? Competition will keep RTE on its toes. There is no problem covering live League Of Ireland soccer matches on RTE. RTE has been taking the GAA for granted for far too long. Now having said that I must give credit to RTE for professional coverage and analysis of GAA championship matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

robopaddy wrote: »
    From the clare forum, not much expected from their minors this year it would seem. Davy fitz younglad is playin. Years dont be long goin!

Come in to my web said the spider to the fly.

culbaire wrote: »
    Yes Colm works for RTE!!!!!! Pity Colm did not berate RTE for its failure to cover National Hurling/Football League matches LIVE. What has RTE done for the club championships? Competition will keep RTE on its toes. There is no problem covering live League Of Ireland soccer matches on RTE. RTE has been taking the GAA for granted for far too long. Now having said that I must give credit to RTE for professional coverage and analysis of GAA championship matches.

Doesn't TG4 cover all those games and TG4 if I'm not mistaken is a subsidiaryof RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Kevin Daly was a great Captain on and off the field, it is not him they are criticising, just the system that is in place for picking a captain.
    we were lucky it worked out for us last year in Kevin, but picture this hypothetical scenario,
    A club minor team win's the 2014 minor championship but their 2015 minor team contains none of the 2014 players, are a much weaker side and play in the B championship, the system may lend to a token player from that club getting on the 2015 panel as Captain. Or a player may deservedly get on the 2015 county panel but just barely - the system would mean he was captain.

Not great really is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Doesn't TG4 cover all those games and TG4 if I'm not mistaken is a subsidiaryof RTE.

RTE bleat on about tradition and Irishness, yet they took 40 odd years to do anything meaningful to promote the Irish language when TG4 was set up and they flood their sports coverage with soccer and rugby. I'd fear where the SKy deal will take the GAA if they secure more games in 3 years time, but RTE can't have any complaints. Other than championship in the summer their coverage of all things GAA leaves a lot to be desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Dublin Dave 2014

Is Abbeyside's Sean Daly on the Panel . Thought he might be in first 15 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Extended panel. Would he be a young growler by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Was Growler not Lismore?

Definitely Abbeyside
    Good hurler,got a couple of runs @ senior

• Registered Users Posts: 13 logbox

No he's not, but he is a nephew of former Lions and Irish great Donal Lenihan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

He must be injured...He's definitely good enough to be starting in that team! Serious hurler but had his fair share of injuries

Definitely Abbeyside
    Good hurler,got a couple of runs @ senior

• Registered Users Posts: 19 1club1county

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    He must be injured...He's definitely good enough to be starting in that team! Serious hurler but had his fair share of injuries
    Sean played in goal for this team at Tony Forristal & u 16 he never played outfield

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Sean played in goal for this team at Tony Forristal & u 16 he never played outfield
    I've seen him play full forward for his club not a bad option to have in the forward line!

Was Growler not Lismore?

Yea but dosent live there anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

Ropaire wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/now-i-know-its-not-just-me-i-know-there-are-others-with-that-same-companion-in-life-depression-30164232.html

Wayne Hutchinson has a blog on his battle with depression, some balls to go public with it in fairness to the lad and hopefully it makes a difference to anyone in the same boat. I thought he was dropped off the panel a bit quick by Skully, v good hurler and footballer, but I guess we don't think a huge amount about what these lads have to go through in their private lives and only really think of them as lads who represent the county. These lads are human like the rest of us, hopefully the lad gets all the support he deserves. Can't be easy!

Fair play to Wayne, don't know the guy but that took a lot of guts, very brave.

I wish him the best of luck and think his story will help many others.
    Fair play and all the best for the future Wayne

• Advertisement

Clare minor Team for tonight against Waterford in Cusack Park at 18:30: Any names familiar here to worry about.
    Loughnane,
    Mccarthy,
    Downey,
    Hayes,
    O'Gorman,
    Walsh,
    D. Fitz,
    O'Malley,
    G. Whyte,
    Chaplin,
    O'Shea,
    Galvin,
    Paudie mc,
    Shanagher,
    B. Guilfoyle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Waternut wrote: »
    Anyone know is Jack McCarthy and Craig Brown injured / on the panel? Sutton would be a huge addition too..

Jack McCarthy was definitely injured and is only recently back in training.

Clare minor Team for tonight against Waterford in Cusack Park at 18:30: Any names familiar here to worry about.
    Loughnane,
    Mccarthy,
    Downey,
    Hayes,
    O'Gorman,
    Walsh,
    D. Fitz,
    O'Malley,
    G. Whyte,
    Chaplin,
    O'Shea,
    Galvin,
    Paudie mc,
    Shanagher,
    B. Guilfoyle.

Full forward shanagher. Big ball winner apparantly

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

From the clare forum, not much expected from their minors this year it would seem. Davy fitz younglad is playin. Years dont be long goin!

theres a David Fitzgerald half back but that isn't his son, Davys son is called Colm and wouldn't be old enough for minor yet - maybe tony forristal!

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭glick6

brinty wrote: »
    Jack McCarthy was definitely injured and is only recently back in training.

Craig brown had shoulder surgery at Christmas. Is on the panel as for as I know but probably not up to speed yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

theres a David Fitzgerald half back but that isn't his son, Davys son is called Colm and wouldn't be old enough for minor yet - maybe tony forristal!

No, his son Colm is a sub alright, not sure what age he is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Loughnane,
    Mccarthy,
    Downey,
    Hayes,
    O'Gorman,
    Walsh,
    D. Fitz,
    O'Malley,
    G. Whyte,
    Chaplin,
    O'Shea,
    Galvin,
    Paudie mc,
    Shanagher,
    B. Guilfoyle.

Think that Galvin is Colm's brother Ian and would have played for the Ard Scoil Harty team. Other than that don't know much about them and don't know if any of them played in dungarvan last year. We on the other hand have 4 starters from that game.
    Paddy Power (check for scores on the live betting there if not travelling) have Waterford 4/9 to win but who knows at minor level. The last couple of minor trips to Ennis were fantastic wins so hope for the same tonight and avoid a dodgey qualifier route.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Should be relatively easy for the minors tonight i would imagine. Alot of work gone into the preparation and with the experience from last year i think paddy powers price of 4/9 is about right. Limerick and Waterford are probably a slight bit ahead of Cork and Tipp so i would be fairly confident of a win up there tonight. I know with minors you can never be confident as they are kids at the end of the day but i do think we have 4-5 players that have played in All Ireland club and college finals and should have that little bit of extra experience to see us through.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Clare 7 Wat 5 ht

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Shanagher, causing major problems for a very sluggish Waterford. Will need to improve for the second half or Clare will have an easy win.

Chill out, two points down against the wind!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement