Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

7 apiece now

10 - 7 Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

10-8 Clare

11-8 Clare

11-10 Clare

• Advertisement

sides level with about 4 to go. courtesy of Tomas McCarthy on twitter

12-11 Waterford :)

1-12 to 0-11 Waterford :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Great 2nd half so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Munster Minor Hurling Champ. Clare 0-11. Waterford 1-13 Full Time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Good win for them!
    Especially seeing how the 1st half seemed to go

Well done supersub Eddie Meaney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Great win, probably be an away game now against the loser of Tipp and Limerick in the semi, unless Clare can beat one of them.

Great win, probably be an away game now against the loser of Tipp and Limerick in the semi, unless Clare can beat one of them.
    Definitely away?

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Definitely away?

hmmmm :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Well done to the lads, great win in Ennis. Seemed a hard fought win so I'm assuming that little bit of extra experience from some of our lads pulled us over the line. Fair play indeed to super sub Eddie Meaney for his 1-1 haul (Cathal Naughton anyone!?)

Clare now play Kerry in a playoff so that'll most likely be Clare. They'll then play the losers of Tipp/Lim so basically our semi will be either:
    Clare again (home)
    Tipp (home)
    Limerick (away)

I'm sure I have that right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Cake Man wrote: »
    Limerick (away)

So much bull**** with GAA fixtures that just wouldn't happen in other sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Cake Man wrote: »
    Well done to the lads, great win in Ennis. Seemed a hard fought win so I'm assuming that little bit of extra experience from some of our lads pulled us over the line. Fair play indeed to super sub Eddie Meaney for his 1-1 haul (Cathal Naughton anyone!?)

Clare now play Kerry in a playoff so that'll most likely be Clare. They'll then play the losers of Tipp/Lim so basically our semi will be either:
    Clare again (home)
    Tipp (home)
    Limerick (away)

I'm sure I have that right.

Cant play clare again.

redlead wrote: »
    So much bull**** with GAA fixtures that just wouldn't happen in other sports.

Couldn't agree more, ridiculous.

However, I think Lim will beat Tipp tomorrow so they would be into the other semi.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Cant play clare again.

Wasn't aware teams couldn't meet twice. In that case it could be anyone bar Clare or Kerry (sorry Kerry no disrespect). We'll know a little more after Tipp/Lim tomorrow anyway.

• Advertisement

Cant play clare again.

They can http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/minor/

Tipp would be away as well by the way Cake Man. They bet us in Walsh Park last year when Josh Keane was the star of the evening.

Tipp would be away as well by the way Cake Man. They bet us in Walsh Park last year when Josh Keane was the star of the evening.

Sorry, you're correct, totally forgot we played Tipp last year at home.

The draw worked out that way a couple years back I think it was 2010. we beat clare in the 1st round. But because we were due to play them in the semi again a draw was redone and we subsequently drew cork. Im almost 100 pc certain if clare come through we wont be playing them in the semi.

The draw worked out that way a couple years back I think it was 2010. we beat clare in the 1st round. But because we were due to play them in the semi again a draw was redone and we subsequently drew cork. Im almost 100 pc certain if clare come through we wont be playing them in the semi.

The year before that we played Clare twice. I know we beat Clare in 2010 not sure what the draw was and whether it was changed. In the 2011 Munster Minor Football, Cork played Clare twice. Would assume it woulod hardly be different for football and hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Made the long trip up to Ennis this evening as a few club men were involved. It was a good evening for hurling. Poor crowd though, 1405 I think was the official attendance. I thought Clare would have had a larger following, especially following on from last years senior triumph. Small attendance may have been due to the low expectations of this current Clare team.

Now to the game itself. I must say it was awful stuff. In recent years minor games have been some of the years best games, especially Cork v Waterford last year. No intensity and players on both sides looked sluggish. The flow of the game wasn't helped by the referee who seemed to love the sound of his own whistle! In truth Clare should have won this game, and if they had won I would have had no complaints. They did all the hurling in the first half and I was amazed when they were only 2 points to the good at the break. Second half was more of the same. Waterford had one tactic in the game, lump the ball up to Cormac Curran and hope he can take it from there, be it puc outs or clearances. None of the other half forwards were capable of competing in the air unfortunately. Clare simply had Curran man marked and then when he won possession he was simply surrounded by 3-4 Clare men and he couldnt off load possession cleanly, on his hands and knees off loading at times. Hayden the full back was in trouble all night, Clare full forward was a hand full and given better supply I think he could have done real damage. Interestingly Colm Galvins brother was playing wing forward for them and he looked sharp, helped himself to a point or two. Very similar style to Tony Kelly, lovely little hurler. Patrick Curran didn't look right at all. Was not himself, I believe he is coming back from an injury. Out of last years winning team, Gleeson and Bennett were very disappointing. I would have expected a lot more from them.

The positives. They hung in there right until the end with the couple of subs making the difference particularly Meaney who got 1-1 I think and Lyons going to midfield, won a lot of dirty ball which wasnt being done prior to his switch. They closed it out well when they eventually got ahead. Lots of work to be done. If it had been Limerick they were playing tonight I think they would have been beaten out the gate.

The year before that we played Clare twice. I know we beat Clare in 2010 not sure what the draw was and whether it was changed. In the 2011 Munster Minor Football, Cork played Clare twice. Would assume it woulod hardly be different for football and hurling.

Yea the year before 09 clare beat us in the 1st round we came through back door and beat them in semi. The following year the rule was changed that you cant play the same team again inspite of the draw. The draw was changed for the semis we ended up beating cork beat them in a replay only to lose to clare in the final

Not sure about the football. Could possibly be different

Made the long trip up to Ennis this evening as a few club men were involved. It was a good evening for hurling. Poor crowd though, 1405 I think was the official attendance. I thought Clare would have had a larger following, especially following on from last years senior triumph. Small attendance may have been due to the low expectations of this current Clare team.

Now to the game itself. I must say it was awful stuff. In recent years minor games have been some of the years best games, especially Cork v Waterford last year. No intensity and players on both sides looked sluggish. The flow of the game wasn't helped by the referee who seemed to love the sound of his own whistle! In truth Clare should have won this game, and if they had won I would have had no complaints. They did all the hurling in the first half and I was amazed when they were only 2 points to the good at the break. Second half was more of the same. Waterford had one tactic in the game, lump the ball up to Cormac Curran and hope he can take it from there, be it puc outs or clearances. None of the other half forwards were capable of competing in the air unfortunately. Clare simply had Curran man marked and then when he won possession he was simply surrounded by 3-4 Clare men and he couldnt off load possession cleanly, on his hands and knees off loading at times. Hayden the full back was in trouble all night, Clare full forward was a hand full and given better supply I think he could have done real damage. Interestingly Colm Galvins brother was playing wing forward for them and he looked sharp, helped himself to a point or two. Very similar style to Tony Kelly, lovely little hurler. Patrick Curran didn't look right at all. Was not himself, I believe he is coming back from an injury. Out of last years winning team, Gleeson and Bennett were very disappointing. I would have expected a lot more from them.

The positives. They hung in there right until the end with the couple of subs making the difference particularly Meaney who got 1-1 I think and Lyons going to midfield, won a lot of dirty ball which was being done prior to his switch. They closed it out well when they eventually got ahead. Lots of work to be done. If it had been Limerick they were playing tonight I think they would have been beaten out the gate.

Regarding the attendance, I'd say it was impacted a lot by the throw in time of 6.30. Thats very early to have it on for 9-5.30 workers to make it, from Waterford and other parts of Clare

Minors started very sluggisly last year as well v Tipp and then got it together in the play off. Next game is really the key to the season, lose it and we are out but win and we are into the All Ireland series and have at least 2 more games.

The positives. They hung in there right until the end with the couple of subs making the difference particularly Meaney who got 1-1 I think and Lyons going to midfield, won a lot of dirty ball which wasnt being done prior to his switch. They closed it out well when they eventually got ahead. Lots of work to be done. If it had been Limerick they were playing tonight I think they would have been beaten out the gate.

Good post. Wasnt there myself but the key was always to just get over this game. Ennis is a daunting place to go no matter what age group. You dont win too many dogfights up there but by the sounds of it we managed to pull this one off. The first game is always nerve wracking for young lads. Hopefully we will be a more polished outfit the next day. Colm roche and sutton are to come back yet from last years team. And hopefull pat curran will be back right again. Theres is a nice break until after the leaving. There is talent in this team. No doubt about that

Btw how did yere own lads fair?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

Who is managing the minors this year, i thought last years crew had stayed on but not according to the examiner this morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Derek Lyons ( Duingarvan ) is the manager. The policy of having the management team staying with the team from under 14 up to minor is the reason last years team isnt there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement