Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

Oh my god! :(

I don't know what to say. And I've had most of my life to think about it.

There's not a hurler in Waterford he hasn't inspired. He led us on the field in 92 and 2013 wouldn't have happened without his legacy.

I hope he enjoys the entire hurling world sucking his balls for the next few days because he has truly earned it.

Thanks Tony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Congratulations Tony, well deserved, incredible hurler. Was watching the highlight reel last night, limited viewing but there's two videos calle Tony Browne leadership, showing him score a pressure free in extra time v Cork in the Munster final replay in 2010 when Kelly had missed a few. Second part shows him dive head first to block a ball in the dying minutes.

Alll that a week after he scored the equalizing goal, at the age of 37. Hero.

I was initially disgusted reading the article about training today, thinking it was the County Board giving up on our season. But then I thought about it. We had club games 4 of 5 weeks up til the second weekend in May last year I'm nearly certain, and the footballers would all have trained with their clubs.

So basically the other lads aren;t training, but lets have a look at who that involves:

SOK, Connors, Moran, Philip Mahony, Austin Gleeson, Brian O'Sullivan, Eddie Barrett, Stephen Roche.

Must be a few more, I'm a bit unsure on a few, but like what kind of a training session would you have with those numbers? Heres the injury list to my knowledge: Jake Dillon, Maurice, Richie Foley, O'Halloran, Darragh Fives, Daniels.

Between that and the players playing County championship (especially when the hurling is on and they're all involved anyway) it's would be a nonsense to have training on. Article actually angering me a bit.

But one thing, like Blueblaa mentions, someone needs to give the Board a lesson in PR! Like jesus christ, coming out defensive and making insinuations almost that there's trouble by diverting the conversation like below:

Asked if team boss, Derek McGrath, who is in his first season at the helm, was happy with the arrangement, Cunningham said he had signed up to the manager's charter.

"We want to give the clubs a chance to have their players over the next few weeks for important games. They will be back with the county after that, getting ready for the Cork game. Some counties play club championship games a lot closer to county games than that," he said.

Would you not just say, no, there is nothing unusual here it's the way it's always done, preparations continue the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Congratulations Tony, well deserved, incredible hurler. Was watching the highlight reel last night, limited viewing but there's two videos calle Tony Browne leadership, showing him score a pressure free in extra time v Cork in the Munster final replay in 2010 when Kelly had missed a few. Second part shows him dive head first to block a ball in the dying minutes.

I was initially disgusted reading the article about training today, thinking it was the County Board giving up on our season. But then I thought about it. We had club games 4 of 5 weeks up til the second weekend in May last year I'm nearly certain, and the footballers would all have trained with their clubs.

So basically the other lads aren;t training, but lets have a look at who that involves:

SOK, Connors, Moran, Philip Mahony, Austin Gleeson, Brian O'Sullivan, Eddie Barrett, Stephen Roche.

Must be a few more, I'm a bit unsure on a few, but like what kind of a training session would you have with those numbers? Heres the injury list to my knowledge: Jake Dillon, Maurice, Richie Foley, O'Halloran, Darragh Fives, Daniels.

Between that and the players playing County championship (especially when the hurling is on and they're all involved anyway) it's would be a nonsense to have training on. Article actually angering me a bit.

But one thing, like Blueblaa mentions, someone needs to give the Board a lesson in PR! Like jesus christ, coming out defensive and making insinuations almost that there's trouble by diverting the conversation like below:

Asked if team boss, Derek McGrath, who is in his first season at the helm, was happy with the arrangement, Cunningham said he had signed up to the manager's charter.

"We want to give the clubs a chance to have their players over the next few weeks for important games. They will be back with the county after that, getting ready for the Cork game. Some counties play club championship games a lot closer to county games than that," he said.

Would you not just say, no, there is nothing unusual here it's the way it's always done, preparations continue the same?

That's because it is unusual. It's unheard of since the late 80s for a county team to take a month out of preparation a month before the Championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Unlikely that you are reading this Tony, but if you are, thanks. From the bottom of my heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

That's because it is unusual. It's unheard of since the late 80s for a county team to take a month out of preparation a month before the Championship.

More likely two weeks I would think. Surely none of them are training when the club hurling is going on anyway? And as I said, they couldn't justify a training session given the depleted panel they have at the minute with the footballers gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

What a defensive display this was from an auld lad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Laughable to think ben brosnan was seen by many to be a serious footballer,just cause he kicked 8 points against longford, carlow or westmeath. A classic example of how bad the leinster football championship has been in last couple years

Wexford arent as far behind us in hurling as people here are making out. Some good young players coming and I think they could be a team to watch under liam dunne in the next year or 2. Footballwise they are ahead of us so I dont see what your big beef is here. Stick to concentrating on ur own county

Tom is a politician all his life. Not being able to give a straight yes or no answer in second nature to him

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Fantastic player Tony, reliable and solid as they come, never left the team down, and turned up now and then with important goals, thanks to him for all the fantastic and memorable days out, and he has inspired not one but two generations of players to go on and push through to the promised land. Déise Abu

• Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

A hero,not just in words but in Reality,a legend in the same vein.
    A warrior,oceans of hurling,but a superb attuide ,and hunger and resilence,one of not just waterford but the all time greats.

Wasnt cheering him ,on in munster final 2010,when he beat us single .handley as a cork man,but serious respect when ref blew up..Unsefish player.Everything you want,hope for in intercounty player.

Enjoy the fishing Tony ,as hurling fan,thanks for the memories and gracing the game.Brian Cocorcan was a huge fan of Tony.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/kfkfmhcwojsn/rss2/

An interesting read,shows another side to the Great man .
    Best of luck,legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

He'd still do a job if needed, but it's debatable how much gametime Tony woulda got this year if he'd stayed on for another tilt at it. Regardless he's a big character to have around a squad of young enough players who'd all hero worship the lad like the rest of us and from that perspective he's a loss.

He's in some shape all the same, considering the flakes he took off hatchetmen of the likes of Colin Lynch over the years it's nice to see the lad retire on his own steam and not be retired by an injury or told he's surplus to requirements after 23 years. Its some achievement. Wonder will he go into politics now! Whatever he does best of luck to the man, he's done himself and us proud over the years in the heat of battle and is a great ambassador for the county and the sport.

Ropaire wrote: »
    He'd still do a job if needed, but it's debatable how much gametime Tony woulda got this year if he'd stayed on for another tilt at it. Regardless he's a big character to have around a squad of young enough players who'd all hero worship the lad like the rest of us and from that perspective he's a loss.

He's in some shape all the same, considering the flakes he took off hatchetmen of the likes of Colin Lynch over the years it's nice to see the lad retire on his own steam and not be retired by an injury or told he's surplus to requirements after 23 years. Its some achievement. Wonder will he go into politics now! Whatever he does best of luck to the man, he's done himself and us proud over the years in the heat of battle and is a great ambassador for the county and the sport.

Couldnt have seen tony seeing any gametime this year. I think he knew that so thats why hes decided to call it a day. The kind of guy tony is if he felt he had sonething to offer hed have stuck around another year. The reason tony kept coming back every year is that he saw his place on the team up for grabs.
    I dont think he sees it anymore now with the amount of wing backs we have these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

He played senior intercounty hurling for a lifetime.. We will never see the like of it again.

He was my first Waterford hero, he just seemed to be all action and was a match for anyone.

It was a privilege to have watched him, some of his displays for club and county were just remarkable... He had some hand on him too, although giving up height to Timmy McCarthy he always had it over him in the air (granted that Cork team didn't have a catcher, bench the short passing style), but it was a sight to behold, timing is everything I suppose.

What a journey this man was on, he was there at a time when we were 'only Waterford' helped take us right to the top and stayed longer than made sense, he excelled longer than made sense.

Thanks for putting us on the map, thanks for making us dream, thanks for making us believe, thanks for increasing the morale and esteem of a people, thanks for 98, thanks for never giving in...
    Thanks for all the great memories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/deise-hurlers-defy-board-training-ban-265819.html

Déise hurlers defy board training ban

This is the kind of trouble I like to see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

is it true they have no money to run training?

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/deise-hurlers-defy-board-training-ban-265819.html

Déise hurlers defy board training ban

This is the kind of trouble I like to see

Never a huge fan of kelly but he talks a lot of sense there

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭mariano rivera

Right job by the county Board

Look at Donegal who called off their club LEAGUE GAMES, to facilitate Jim McGuinness's ego

The GAA is for all members and all players

The over reaction is ridiculous by some quarters

In fairness Croke park should have made this type of arrangement years ago and have certain times of the year purely for club games

Also like to say that there has been no crying form Derek McGrath about the call, which is what you would see with other county managers

Never thought i would say but well done Waterford county Board!

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I always believe the clubs should come first over county teams. I believe the GAA is supposed to be all about club and community first and not the elite. When it comes to club versus county it should be county fitting in around clubs. I mean your talking 60 (hurling & football panels) dictating to over 500 (club players). Actually way more if you take in Intermediate and Junior championships as well! That's just wrong.

But well done the county board me arse. Do you really think the county board sat down and said "I think its time we put the clubs first"? Not a chance, It was more like "Feck, we haven't a bean to our name, what will we do?" "I know we'll cut out a few weeks of training for the county lads, sher the way their going they'll win feck all anyway and we'll say we're putting the clubs first".

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Yea I think it's a good decision also. Training week after week with the same panel can become stale over long periods. They wont be losing fitness as they have club championship to keep them focused. When they come back there will be a freshness and a renewed focus on the championship which should stand to them during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Look at Donegal who called off their club LEAGUE GAMES, to facilitate Jim McGuinness's ego

The GAA is for all members and all players

The over reaction is ridiculous by some quarters

In fairness Croke park should have made this type of arrangement years ago and have certain times of the year purely for club games

Also like to say that there has been no crying form Derek McGrath about the call, which is what you would see with other county managers

The WCB couldn't give a flying **** about the clubs, they are just counting pennies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

Tony Browne has been playing hurling for as long as I've been going to matches and longer! Its a bit surreal. He was the constant in an ever changing team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

dzilla wrote: »
    is it true they have no money to run training?

it would seem the most likely truth...or else they've developed a serious sudden respect for the clubs in the county

which seems most pausible??? :pac::pac:

A junior team wouldn't take the best part of a month off as a panel that close to a championship game, if they had two weeks with the clubs that would have been no issue, that was the way it was for the last few years, it worked well, no reason to change it. Other than.. The county board is bust, they are saving money anyway the can, the teams preparation will suffer, it's a bad situation we are in now

My parents brought me to watch Tony play.

I went to see him play with the lads on the lash.

I took my children to see him play.

Some length of a career!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2MXhPVfJuo

I'll necer forget this game, by some strokle of luck got a seat 2 rows behind the waterford dugout (got one of the first tickets at the ticket office that morning) , sitting beside one of the prenders uncles ,the bench kept turning around to rile the crowd and a kind of call and response thing developed ,at the end of the clip the players run on ,i was 5 seconds behind them, poor tony was so ,mobbed it was 5 deep to even touch him

• Registered Users Posts: 38,359 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

i know im being a downer but the cork game could be a hiding for us. getting a training ban for a few weeks while cork are traning away. Things are not looking good this early

In the qulifers all teams will be dangerous and would not be surprised if we got knocked out in the first round. Laois and Antrim will have played 5 games before the 1st Round Qulifers while we could of only played 1 game

PTH2009 wrote: »
    i know im being a downer but the cork game could be a hiding for us. getting a training ban for a few weeks while cork are traning away. Things are not looking good this early

In the qulifers all teams will be dangerous and would not be surprised if we got knocked out in the first round. Laois and Antrim will have played 5 games before the 1st Round Qulifers while we could of only played 1 game

This year is a write off, anything other than 2 straight hammerings is a bonus, I would just hope we dont lose to wexford/offaly/antrim while the door is kicking us on the way out

This year is a write off, anything other than 2 straight hammerings is a bonus, I would just hope we dont lose to wexford/offaly/antrim while the door is kicking us on the way out

Wouldnt be that pessimistic. I think we'll rise to Cork. If theres any bit of fight in this team thats the day to show it.
    To be honest i dont think the extra 2 weeks off is that big a deal. My worry is management. I think tactically we are clueless and it looks like were trying to implement a system that just dosent fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

robopaddy wrote: »
    Wouldnt be that pessimistic. I think we'll rise to Cork. If theres any bit of fight in this team thats the day to show it.
    To be honest i dont think the extra 2 weeks off is not that big a deal. My worry is management. I think tactically we are clueless and it looks like were trying to implement a system that just dosent fit.

Have to agree with that. Hopefully the management have had a look at it after the league, realised its not working and never going to work and changed the gameplan starting with the training over in Portugal. I wouldn't be too optimistic though and don't think we will be hurling past June.

• Advertisement

Have to agree with that. Hopefully the management have had a look at it after the league, realised its not working and never going to work and changed the gameplan starting with the training over in Portugal. I wouldn't be too optimistic though and don't think we will be hurling past June.
    They didnt seem to figure out it wasnt going to work previously,with plenty of chances,that and a reduced training schedule gives no time for an alternate plan

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement