Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

De La Salle can be slow out of the blocks too, Lismore seem to have played their best hurling early on in the championship with the last few years and Ray Barry is the in form forward in the County. And still no Stephen Daniels, or Jake Dillon. John Mullane off the County team with two years, and new management team. If Lismore are beaten it won't be by much.

suppose you have a point, but still think dls should have too much class for them up front. Give me your 4 teams from each group to qualify and who do you fancy to go down this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

De La Salle can be slow out of the blocks too, Lismore seem to have played their best hurling early on in the championship with the last few years and Ray Barry is the in form forward in the County. And still no Stephen Daniels, or Jake Dillon. John Mullane off the County team with two years, and new management team. If Lismore are beaten it won't be by much.

Still think DLS will have too much firepower for Lismore. Twomey, Barrett, Farrell,Mullane etc should see them over the line.
    Dungarvan and Ballygunner should be the game of the weekend. Dungarvan struggled against Sars from Cork recently,beaten by 9pts and Ballygunner accounted for Midleton in a challenge over the weekend. Hard one to call to be honest.
    Ballyduff Upper will beat Ardmore they're moving along quiet nicely under Maurice Geary and have that bit extra experience to see them through.
    Mt Sion will beat Tallow with Gleeson Eoin McGrath and Tony Browne in the forward line along with Sean Ryan they should have enough to see them over the line. Tallow will be relying on Thomas Ryan to do the scoring for them.
    Abbeyside and Fourmilewater will be interesting,because with both having been involved in senior football the past few weeks it will have interrupted preperations. I'll go with Fourmilewater-just!!
    Passage should beat Roanmore i think on Sunday evening. Last year's experience will definitely stand to them.
    Someone said that Dungarvan are 3/1 to win on Sunday? Does anybody know if that's true? If it is it's tempting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

suppose you have a point, but still think dls should have too much class for them up front. Give me your 4 teams from each group to qualify and who do you fancy to go down this year?

If De La Salle manage to keep Big Dan quiet they will win. He's the main danger man with his aerial threat around the square and he's caused dls fullback line all sorts of bother in the past 2/3 seasons when they've played. Plus not forgetting tallow surprisingly beat DLS last year a result which knocked lismore out on there hole.They didnt hide the fact on twitter how unhappy they were. It should be an entertaining game and I'd certainly have lismore as favourites here.

U16 Hurling
    West Waterford vs East Waterford takes place in fraher field before lismore v DLS if any of ye have an interest in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 culbaire666

Group 1 DLS , Fourmilewater, Lismore, Abbeyside to quailify
    Group 2 Mt. Sion, Ballgunner, Dungarvan, Ballyduf.
    DLS to win the championship.
    Tallow to be relegated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Group 1 DLS , Fourmilewater, Lismore, Abbeyside to quailify
    Group 2 Mt. Sion, Ballgunner, Dungarvan, Ballyduf.
    DLS to win the championship.
    Tallow to be relegated.

Writing passage off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 culbaire666

Yes I think everything just seemed to fall into place for them last year. Ballgunner and DLS been drawn together in quarters, Sion gave away a couple of soft goals against them and Gunners throwing away a 7 or 8 pt lead in the final. Take nothing away from Passage they're co. champions and good luck to them. I just think the group they are in that the other 4 teams I mentioned will have to much for them, also think Roanmore may sneak a win off them on Sunday.

55 yrs and counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Teebor15 wrote: »
    I'll tell you what's an insult. Is telling club players who take their sport as serious as County players, that they will have to wait weeks on end during the summer for a decent game while the county players are wrapped in cotton wool in case they break a nail.

You can always tell the people on here that don't play the game themselves. They're the ones who jump on the bandwagon of the county teams for the odd the day out in summer. But no little about clubs or club players and who just don't give a s**t about them. After all that's what the GAA is all about, the elite!
    Pure and utter rubbish!! How do you know what I play? How do you know what support I give the GAA? I have never got anything out of the GAA only what I have lost by it. I stand by my statement that having Seamus Prendergast and Brick playing four games on the trot is crazy. They are not 21 years old any more. The county team has got just two weeks of training before it faces Cork. No hard training can be done in the final week. Two rounds of the football championship could have been played earlier. The board has made a hames of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Yes I think everything just seemed to fall into place for them last year. Ballgunner and DLS been drawn together in quarters, Sion gave away a couple of soft goals against them and Gunners throwing away a 7 or 8 pt lead in the final. Take nothing away from Passage they're co. champions and good luck to them. I just think the group they are in that the other 4 teams I mentioned will have to much for them, also think Roanmore may sneak a win off them on Sunday.

55 yrs and counting.

I dont think they got the credit they deserved last year. You say they only won it through other teams throwing it away i dont agree. They are a serious team and finished games very strongly. Definetly stood to them dls and gunners being on same side of the draw but it was the same for every other team. They werent far off beating na piarsaigh in munster either considerin they were missing noel connors who was away.
    Is queally with them again this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Some pile of revolutionaries we have on this forum by god! Never heard so much rubbish on a forum in my life. A previous poster has said that he would like to introduce an under 23/24 age category and not allow players play senior until they leave this age category.

Are ye WUMS?? Or just completley out of yer mind? Would ye stop on about this kind of crap and focus on the gaa scene in waterford please.

Its plainly obvious to see ye never were involved in anything gaa related in yer lives. Go back to playing footie manager etc id suggest.

What level have you played or currently playing at?

culbaire wrote: »
    Pure and utter rubbish!! How do you know what I play? How do you know what support I give the GAA? I have never got anything out of the GAA only what I have lost by it. I stand by my statement that having Seamus Prendergast and Brick playing four games on the trot is crazy. They are not 21 years old any more.

Without wanting to but in, I think you're actually talking rubbish here.

Waterford played four league games on four consecutive weekends in March. Every team did.

Cork would have been playing potentially two more league games, but they were beaten in the league quarter final. Tipp and KK got those tough games instead.

Without the club games, Waterford players would have been kicking their heels from 30th March to 25th May. That's two months, 8 weeks, 56 days - whichever way you want to look at it, without a competitive fixture.

They've been training as a squad for the last 6 months? They've had a trip away to Portugal to do warm weather training? They'll be taking a three week break in training, playing competitive games with their clubs instead, and going back training for three more weeks. Lads have plenty of hurling done at this stage.

If Waterford are beaten by Cork it'll because they're a better team at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭TheBomber14

55 yrs and counting.

Very harsh on passage. Nobody wins a co championship by luck? Maybe one game, but a whole championship , i doubt it! Not a hope roanmore will beat them sunday. Heard passage lads are flying it in training by all accounts and have gone well in challenge games. Dungarvan v ballygunner should be game of the weekend, hard to call as gunners usually dont peak til end of championship,still fancy bgunner for this one however.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

I stand by my statement that having Seamus Prendergast and Brick playing four games on the trot is crazy. They are not 21 years old any more. The county team has got just two weeks of training before it faces Cork. No hard training can be done in the final week. Two rounds of the football championship could have been played earlier. The board has made a hames of it.

So they have to play four games on the trot..so what? boo hoo! And so what if they are coming to the end of their careers?, haven't they enjoyed themselves over the last decade or so. What about the hundreds of club players that have their sport messed around with year after year to facilitate these few lads. I have nothing against them personally and in fact am friends with some of them. But the point I'm making is that in the GAA, club championships should come first because that is the bedrock of what the GAA was founded on and should remain. Club games facilitate hundreds of players whereas the Inter county only caters for the top 20 or so. How is it that right that these hundreds of players should play second fiddle to the few elite?

To summarise. Clubs first, County second.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

So they have to play four games on the trot..so what? boo hoo! And so what if they are coming to the end of their careers?, haven't they enjoyed themselves over the last decade or so. What about the hundreds of club players that have their sport messed around with year after year to facilitate these few lads. I have nothing against them personally and in fact am friends with some of them. But the point I'm making is that in the GAA, club championships should come first because that is the bedrock of what the GAA was founded on and should remain. Club games facilitate hundreds of players whereas the Inter county only caters for the top 20 or so. How is it that right that these hundreds of players should play second fiddle to the few elite?

To summarise. Clubs first, County second.
    You conveniently IGNORE the fact that the football championship could have commenced a couple of weeks earlier. Then there would be no problem.

You conveniently IGNORE the fact that the football championship could have commenced a couple of weeks earlier. Then there would be no problem.

They could have started one week earlier at most. They decided to play a round of club league games on the weekend after the relegation final.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Any county minor that will burst into the scene this year?? the Bennett's last year single handedly won ballysaggart the county. Dungarvan have a few curran and Lyons in particular. what about the rest????

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Teebor15

How could it start 2 weeks earlier? The relegation game was on Sun 30th and the first round of the football was on the 13th Apr. Correct me if I'm wrong but that only leaves one weekend in between free. Unless you were expecting 2 rounds of the football to be played on the same weekend, you know, just to get it out of the way, so we can get back to what its all about...the big day out in Thurles!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Pure and utter rubbish!! How do you know what I play? How do you know what support I give the GAA? I have never got anything out of the GAA only what I have lost by it. I stand by my statement that having Seamus Prendergast and Brick playing four games on the trot is crazy. They are not 21 years old any more. The county team has got just two weeks of training before it faces Cork. No hard training can be done in the final week. Two rounds of the football championship could have been played earlier. The board has made a hames of it.

So four club games in four weeks is too much for these lads but a few more weeks of intense inter county training would be fine, your arguement doesn't make any sense.:confused:

As for you claims earlier that all the county board care for is football, I must say they are doing a fine job of keeping it hidden, kudos to them!

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

How many on panel actually don't play Football. I know of 5 off hand that don't and Id say there are more

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

On the subject of moving football club fixtures, the final Div 4 football game against Carlow was 6th April and the clubs started on the 11th. So even if you could go back in time and move fixtures there was no date available.

Waterford were back collective training 6 weeks prior to Cork i believe and have already competed Div 1 a (not great at times I know) and had a weeks warm weather training.
    The 3 week break in training for clubs was planned well in advance and would have been accounted for. The issue was that it was enforced but would one or two sessions with the players available make much of a difference.

What I don't understand is how its ok to play a challenge against Wexford on the Thursday before the Club football round 1, train on the Saturday that weekend but then have the whole rigmorole of cancelling a session on the Tuesday before Round 2. Anyway thats what was agreed.

For the record Waterford beat Wexford 3-22 to 2-20 that night and team just to show how it was affected by injuries and football was

IOR,N Connors, B Coughlan, P Prender, S McNulty, K Moran, J Nagle, SOS, Brick, G O Brien, T Connors, C Dunford, R Donnelly, S Roche, R Barry

I think Brick is the only senior club Footballer there. Colin Dunford was reported to have played well and scored a good goal, also Ray Barry got a goal, Gav O Brien on frees and Brick played well Midfield.

The County board were lambasted for calling off a round of football fixtures before the 2011 Munster Final we all know what hapened then so they are hardly gonna tamper now with club fixtures for what is not a knock out game or a final. The Important stuff will be June/ July.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I think it will be Lismore, De La Salle, Passage and Abbeyside. FMW have the ability to beat any of those teams but have a lot to prove after the seriously disappointing drubbing to A'side last year in the quarters. They don't look like they've started too well either judging by the County league though that's not always an accurate gauge.

Think Passage under Queally will never be a soft touch and you need to be hard to beat in a group like this which is seriously competitive. They have talent like all the Connors', Killian Fitzgerald, Eoin Kelly, Sean Hogan, Jason Roche, Eddie Lynch and Conor Carey so it would be unwise to write them off.

On the other side, I reckon you will have Mount Sion, Ballygunner and Dungarvan. There won't be much between Tallow, Ballyduff and Ardmore, but I'd say Ballyduff might just about qualify.

Mount Sion to be major players this year, and dare I say it Lismore might finally get it together this year for the first time since 2009 and be there at the time of reckoning.

And I think Roanmore are certainties for the drop.

• Advertisement

Jarjohn wrote: »
    How many on panel actually don't play Football. I know of 5 off hand that don't and Id say there are more

They'd need at least 20 to justify training to be honest, and I don't think there's that many. And then factor in injuries, I'd say there would be little more than ten and I can't imagine some of those involved would make it a very intense training.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I fancy Roanmore at 5/1 odds v Passage

KevIRL wrote: »
    I fancy Roanmore at 5/1 odds v Passage

search?q=is+this+some+kind+of+joke+gif&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=cCtYU-eGNLLb7AbE44DgBA&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=1366&bih=667#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=YyyCS1wKZUjZJM%253A%3BrPuDlEs6Hjx7aM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fresources2.news.com.au%252Fimages%252F2013%252F04%252F22%252F1226625%252F787230-ford-you-039-d-like-that.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.news.com.au%252Fentertainment%252Fcelebrity-life%252Ffaces-of-rage-why-harrison-got-so-cranky%252Fstory-e6frfmqi-1226625869433%3B650%3B366.png

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

How could it start 2 weeks earlier? The relegation game was on Sun 30th and the first round of the football was on the 13th Apr. Correct me if I'm wrong but that only leaves one weekend in between free. Unless you were expecting 2 rounds of the football to be played on the same weekend, you know, just to get it out of the way, so we can get back to what its all about...the big day out in Thurles!
    think its all the same when it starts /how much time they have off ,,Waterford win an all ireland on average one every 60 odd years ,another 10 to go so

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Saw on Twitter Tony Browne is going to be interviewed on Newstalk after 8pm

Tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Deskjockey wrote: »
    Saw on Twitter Tony Browne is going to be interviewed on Newstalk after 8pm

Tonight

how did it go...missed it...is it worth a listen?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Tony is always worth listening to.

I stand by my statement that having Seamus Prendergast and Brick playing four games on the trot is crazy. They are not 21 years old any more. The county team has got just two weeks of training before it faces Cork. No hard training can be done in the final week. Two rounds of the football championship could have been played earlier. The board has made a hames of it.

Just to further hammer home that the above is totally wrong, there is a qualifying round for the Leinster Championship this year, involving 5 counties.

Starting this Sunday, they will be forced to play four games in 29 days. Two qualifying teams will then play their 5th game on the following weekend, so 5 games in 5 weeks.

The Leinster Championship proper is played over a month. Potentially a team coming from the qualifying group to the final would be expected to play 8 games in 11 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

Didn't hear it myself but the Score synopsised it here

Makes Tony even more of a legend in my eyes

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement