Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

De La Salle bet Lismore 2-17 to 2-09 tonight in first round of the championship. Not a great game terrible wind going up the field DLS led 2-10 to 0-03 at H/T and second half Lismore scored 2-6 to DLS 0-07.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Mt Sion and Ballyduff won the two games tonight. Austin Gleeson and Mikey Kearney both stood out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Mt Sion and Ballyduff won the two games tonight. Austin Gleeson and Mikey Kearney both stood out.

apparently of the 15 points mt sion got 6 came from austin, 7 from Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

apparently of the 15 points mt sion got 6 came from austin, 7 from Tony

And theres only 22 yrs between them ain't that a good one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

What do the punters know that I don't about Passage v Roanmore? Heard Kelly is out alright, but wasn't he marked out of the final and they still won? He was marked out of the Dungarvan game which they also won. They only lost one game last year and that was a nothing game.

Compare that to Roanmore, and well, there's no comparison. Do people really think they're going to be caught cold? Cannot see it myself but I've been wrong enough times before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    I fancy Roanmore at 5/1 odds v Passage

Sigh, so fukking close to a nice touch Owen Connors injury time goal to level it at 1-13 a piece in the end

Hard luck Kev, shocked by that one.

Was at Abbeyside v Fourmilewater earlier. A poor display from A'side, but Fourmile looking a lot more like the team they were in 2012 than last year. Going really well in the football and seem fitter, I was really impressed with their intensity without the ball and they used it quite well particularly first half.

Seemed to withdraw second half and it meant their forwards were starved of possession but a very solid defensive effort, and something like a 27 point turnaround on the quarter final defeat they suffered last year.

Jamie Barron was excellent scoring 0-17 points, 6 from play and only missed one free all game. Shane Walsh hit two points, played well overall I thought and Liam Lawlor gave his usual exhibition for the club. Conor Gleeson showed very well first half and second half when he got a chance though he was up against it when men were brought back.

Richie Foley came on at half time for the villagers (they call themselves that don't they?) and scored 0-2 points but wasn't too involved, though good to see him back playing. Podge Hurney was marked out of it by Thomas O Gorman, and I didn't realize Gary Hurney was on the field until the end.

Roanmore have thrown a spanner in the works in that group. Doubt they'll take anything off the rest but could make things interesting for those chasing the quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Cheers for the write up. Any reports from any of the other games over the weekend lads?
    How'd the county players get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭westcork blue

Ardmore v ballyduff was closer than many expected. Young kearney was excellent, got 2 09 with 1 04 from play I think. Steven molumpy was sharp when on the ball but not on the ball enough. Seamus P was ok, missed 4/5 frees which cost Ardmore in the end, took his goal well when brushing Tom feeney aside with ease. Ardmore probably slightly unlucky not to win it on balance, conditions were brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Jamie Barron was excellent scoring 0-17 points

17 points..... wow that is some scoring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Have short reports on Intermediate Double header in Lismore today.

In first game Ballysaggart were better team but left Ballinameela in game throughout by conceding some soft goals. Kieran and Shane Bennett excellent for Saggart. Stephen Bennett came on for last 10 mins. Scored a point and hit 2 wides but not fully fit. Late goal for Ballinameela made scoreline look closer than what game was. 2-18 to 4-11

In second game Cappoquin much better team and County minors Andy Molumby and Aaron O Sullivan did well up front with Shane O Rourke. Always seem to come up short every year but I was well impressed with their play today and will be putting a few quid on them to win County. Tourin relied mostly on frees from Daithi Wilkinson and will do well to stay up this year. Worryingly Darragh Fives went off in 2nd half. Not fit at all. Got Tourin's goal but didn't stand out today as a County player obviously due to not being fully fit. I think it was 0-14 to 0-7 at h/t and 1-20 to 1-11 at final whistle

Decent crowd there today at games and great to have the club hurling up and running again

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Was at Abbeyside v Fourmilewater earlier. A poor display from A'side, but Fourmile looking a lot more like the team they were in 2012 than last year. Going really well in the football and seem fitter, I was really impressed with their intensity without the ball and they used it quite well particularly first half.

Seemed to withdraw second half and it meant their forwards were starved of possession but a very solid defensive effort, and something like a 27 point turnaround on the quarter final defeat they suffered last year.

Jamie Barron was excellent scoring 0-17 points, 6 from play and only missed one free all game. Shane Walsh hit two points, played well overall I thought and Liam Lawlor gave his usual exhibition for the club. Conor Gleeson showed very well first half and second half when he got a chance though he was up against it when men were brought back.

Richie Foley came on at half time for the villagers (they call themselves that don't they?) and scored 0-2 points but wasn't too involved, though good to see him back playing. Podge Hurney was marked out of it by Thomas O Gorman, and I didn't realize Gary Hurney was on the field until the end.

Roanmore have thrown a spanner in the works in that group. Doubt they'll take anything off the rest but could make things interesting for those chasing the quarters.

Gary Hurney only came on for the last 10 minutes.... Must have missed that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

All down to Benji Whelan from Kilmac, he's doing the fitness training for the Nire. Top class

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Jamie Barron was excellent scoring 0-17 points

17 points..... wow that is some scoring

Could do with someone like him hitting form coming into the munster championship

Gary Hurney only came on for the last 10 minutes.... Must have missed that

That would make sense alright. Surprised how quiet his brother was after last year.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Could do with someone like him hitting form coming into the munster championship
    Needs to be running at goal though, not used as a 3rd midfielder or the position he played against kilkenny

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Needs to be running at goal though, not used as a 3rd midfielder or the position he played against kilkenny

Agreed. He was roaming yesterday and think it suits in club hurling but with the physicality and pace of Inter-County, could be a couple of years before he can do the same at that level. But with Dan there yesterday, and there absolute refusal to play him corner forward before now I think you won't see him that high up the pitch in 4 weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

That would make sense alright. Surprised how quiet his brother was after last year.

He seems to be a very hot/cold player alright!

Minor Footballers playing tomorrow night in Fraher Field v Clare, 7pm!!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

Was impressed with roanmore last night, wats the story with them? Are they on the turnaround?Cant see them doing the same to fourmilewater on sunday though especially with barron on song, wats the thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Top drawer wrote: »
    Was impressed with roanmore last night, wats the story with them? Are they on the turnaround?Cant see them doing the same to fourmilewater on sunday though especially with barron on song, wats the thoughts?

Will still struggle to stay up. Although I fancy tallow for the drop. On a real downward spiral since they got to the co final.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Minor Footballers playing tomorrow night in Fraher Field v Clare, 7pm!!

Clare gave Limerick a decent beating last week, scoring 2-17 in the process. Apparently Limerick scored 3 goals in the 2nd half, but the game was long over as a contest.

The home team tends to do well in Waterford v Clare games however. Getting to Dungarvan on a Wednesday night from west Clare would be a pain in the neck.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

All down to Benji Whelan from Kilmac, he's doing the fitness training for the Nire. Top class
    he is the manager as well. looking after the whole lot . great man with a great attitude.involved in the mt sion team that nearly beat de la sale ( 3-2- 1)year.
    Good man in charge there expect them to do well. Keep an eye on the nire also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

Stevie Molumphy has a broken hand and Maurice a doubt with a back injury after the first round of club games

deisedude wrote: »
    Stevie Molumphy has a broken hand and Maurice a doubt with a back injury after the first round of club games

Lawlor took a long time to leave the field on Sunday too. Looked like the strapped knee giving him trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Minors 4.4 Clare 1.4 ht

3ships wrote: »
    Minors 4.4 Clare 1.4 ht

5-5 to 2-9 now. Sounds like a v enjoyable game

KevIRL wrote: »
    5-5 to 2-9 now. Sounds like a v enjoyable game

5-9 to 4-10, 5 mins left

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

6.9 to 4.12 what a game cork in Fraher next week or 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

They should have beaten Tipp the last day and a great win tonight. It just goes to show that there are plenty of talented young footballers in this county. The problem will be progressing them to Senior level

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement