Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

3ships wrote: »
    6.9 to 4.12 what a game cork in Fraher next week or 2

A win not to be underestimated. Clare have been putting a lot of work into underage fball the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

robopaddy wrote: »
    A win not to be underestimated. Clare have been putting a lot of work into underage fball the last few years

Imagine if we put in those efforts!

Imagine if we put in those efforts!

Agreed. Its been a dismal 5 or 6 years at underage level but this is a talented group of dual players that has come through in the last year or 2. The clubs deserve great credit for keeping these lads playing football at grassroots level considering how hurling has taken over all over the county in recent times. Not sure the co board deserves much credit for this though.

Credit also to the hurling management for giving the hurlers the choice to play football if they wish. They did the same last year and didnt do them any harm.! From what I beleive clare didnt allow the same but 2 or 3 lads actually chose football over hurling. So weldone waterford and best of luck against cork

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Well done to the minor footballers, very good win. Hopefully we can push Cork all the way in the semi.

We'll also know tonight who our minor hurlers will have in the Munster semi, Clare and Tipp face off in Ennis. Who would people prefer? If it's Clare, we've a home semi, Tipp and it's in Thurles.
    Would probably prefer Clare myself with a home game, we beat them in Ennis (without playing well and missing a few key players) so I reckon we could take them again.
    Don't know much about Tipp apart from the fact they gave a fancied Limerick side a decent game but Thurles wouldn't be an easy place to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=215202&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Charity match in June for ken. I wonder would a certain Mr. Browne maybe make one last appearance . would be made craic if flynners eoin Kelly Muller put on the white and blue for ken.

I'd buy that for a dollar

• Advertisement

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=215202&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I wonder will the old guards be carted out to raise funds for ken . imagine seeing flynners Tony Muller eoin in blue and white . is pay big money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Cake Man wrote: »
    Well done to the minor footballers, very good win. Hopefully we can push Cork all the way in the semi.

We'll also know tonight who our minor hurlers will have in the Munster semi, Clare and Tipp face off in Ennis. Who would people prefer? If it's Clare, we've a home semi, Tipp and it's in Thurles.
    Would probably prefer Clare myself with a home game, we beat them in Ennis (without playing well and missing a few key players) so I reckon we could take them again.
    Don't know much about Tipp apart from the fact they gave a fancied Limerick side a decent game but Thurles wouldn't be an easy place to go to.
    Praying for a Clare win tonight!

Playing Clare in a Munster semi final at home in Fraher Field, doesn't get much better!

I wonder will the old guards be carted out to raise funds for ken . imagine seeing flynners Tony Muller eoin in blue and white . is pay big money

Hope so. Ken is our greatest hurler of all time #fact

Hope so. Ken is our greatest hurler of all time #fact

Don't get me wrong he is a hero but is he or best he had given a lot as has his family . but would you pick him over Muller if you had one or the other or flynners or eoin Kelly when he was on form?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TrickyMickey1

Long time lurker on this thread,was at the minor football game last night and although we up against tough opposition it's the best team we've had the last few years from early signs fair play to them.Hopefully we can put in a respectable performance against Cork next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Don't get me wrong he is a hero but is he or best he had given a lot as has his family . but would you pick him over Muller if you had one or the other or flynners or eoin Kelly when he was on form?

Tough call. McGrath gets the nod for me though.

Mullane only really started to get fully appreciated in the latter stages of his intercounty career. He'd be probably put in most people's best full forward line of that era, but that wasn't always the case.

Ken McGrath was widely regarded as one of the classiest players in his generation full stop. He excellent as a forward and mastered centre back.

McGrath will be remembered for his graceful style, his excellent stick-work. Mullane will be remembered as a charachter, and his ability to burn defenders.

I hope they get a great turnout. He's suffered badly with his health in the last couple of years.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Tough call.

Mullane only really started to get fully appreciated in the latter stages of his intercounty career. He'd be probably put in most people's best full forward line of that era, but that wasn't always the case.

Ken McGrath was widely regarded as one of the classiest players in his generation full stop. He excellent as a forward and mastered centre back.

McGrath will be remembered for his graceful style, his excellent stick-work. Mullane will be remembered as a charachter, and his ability to burn defenders.

I hope they get a great turnout. He's suffered badly with his health in the last couple of years.

Isn't that the case with many top players tho?You start taking them for granted and when they start coming towards the end of their career you begin to realise how you will be lost without them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Isn't that the case with many top players tho?You start taking them for granted and when they start coming towards the end of their career you begin to realise how you will be lost without them.

Sometimes. McGrath was always highly regarded though.

Edited my post above, he's the best we've had in my opinion.

No way ken all the way for me. The complete package

No way ken all the way for me. The complete package

Ken for me too,pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Ken was the best of that generation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Clare 1-23 Tipperary 0-12

Tipp finished with 12. First sent off on the stroke of half time when Tipp led 10 to 09. They got the first of the second half, and then clare score 9 without reply when Tipp had another sent off and gave away a penalty which clare converted. Tipp had another player sent of a few minutes later and it would seem it was after that Clare got the last 5 point (after 53 mins).

So Waterford to play Clare in Walsh Park, and I wouldn't read anything into today, the only thing you could say is Clare have the advantage of an extra game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Clare 1-23 Tipperary 0-12

Tipp finished with 12. First sent off on the stroke of half time when Tipp led 10 to 09. They got the first of the second half, and then clare score 9 without reply when Tipp had another sent off and gave away a penalty which clare converted. Tipp had another player sent of a few minutes later and it would seem it was after that Clare got the last 5 point (after 53 mins).

So Waterford to play Clare in Walsh Park, and I wouldn't read anything into today, the only thing you could say is Clare have the advantage of an extra game.
    Why in the name of **** cant they fix it that a team who beat another cant meet again in the next round? You are being punished for winning first time around.

Why in the name of **** cant they fix it that a team who beat another cant meet again in the next round? You are being punished for winning first time around.

Who Cork or Waterford? I'm happy with it anyway, avoiding Limerick and Cork

Mightn't be a bad result, the fact that Tipp had a few sent off and then Clare did the bulk of their scoring suggests that you couldn't read too much into it.
    Glad to get a home game anyway and like I posted before the game, I think we're good enough to take Clare again with hopefully the players who missed the last game back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Delighted to get the home game tbh. Semi final is all about winning as it ensures entry into the All Ireland series, so any advantage is vital

KevIRL wrote: »
    Delighted to get the home game tbh. Semi final is all about winning as it ensures entry into the All Ireland series, so any advantage is vital

Exactly, all about reaching a Munster final to guarantee hurling into the summer. Looking forward to it now.

Id say clare will be happy enough to have another go at us. Tbh they were the better team for a lot of that game. Its still probably the best draw we could have got though.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Id say clare will be happy enough to have another go at us. Tbh they were the better team for a lot of that game. Its still probably the best draw we could have got though.

Think I would have preferred a shot at Tipp, was at the Clare game and they really should have won, think they will have a big physiological advantage on us, even though we were out of sorts and missing a few. I do think we are good enough but I hate having to play a team that we have beat already in the same championship,

Think I would have preferred a shot at Tipp, was at the Clare game and they really should have won, think they will have a big physiological advantage on us, even though we were out of sorts and missing a few. I do think we are good enough but I hate having to play a team that we have beat already in the same championship,

Agree with you on the last point, but being more comfortable and the better team in your own home ground and still losing is not something I would use to talk a team up.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Agree with you on the last point, but being more comfortable and the better team in your own home ground and still losing is not something I would use to talk a team up.

Not talking them up, but neither am I talking us up, expectation will be huge on the team in front of a home crowd against a team that they already beat, Clare are well able to hurl, and the team that looses will always have more to learn and a point to prove, there is no gulf in class between the two teams so physiological preparation ( or a bit of luck) will often be the difference between the two teams, Guess its up to us to use that against them which fingers crossed we will do

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Not talking them up, but neither am I talking us up, expectation will be huge on the team in front of a home crowd against a team that they already beat, Clare are well able to hurl, and the team that looses will always have more to learn and a point to prove, there is no gulf in class between the two teams so physiological preparation ( or a bit of luck) will often be the difference between the two teams, Guess its up to us to use that against them which fingers crossed we will do

Whats with the negativity.. Its coursing through the veins of waterford people.. Waterford went up to clare with a number of players missing.. Roche from Shamrocks especially who easily racked up 3 points a game average for the minor team last year.. a less than 30% fit Curran and still won the game.. Sick of this playing it down nonsense.. The players will go out and play to win and none of this old ghost waterford crap.. They are confident having beaten this team before and they will do the job again..

All this extra edge psychological stuff is a load of nonsense and last no more than the first 5/10 mins of a match.. Always people on here feeling we have to be underdogs play it down.. its not going to happening.. Luckily these guys have a lot more confidence and good mentality to play at this level and if they are beaten clare are better not the nonsense being spouted.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Whats with the negativity.. Its coursing through the veins of waterford people.. Waterford went up to clare with a number of players missing.. Roche from Shamrocks especially who easily racked up 3 points a game average for the minor team last year.. a less than 30% fit Curran and still won the game.. Sick of this playing it down nonsense.. The players will go out and play to win and none of this old ghost waterford crap.. They are confident having beaten this team before and they will do the job again..

All this extra edge psychological stuff is a load of nonsense and last no more than the first 5/10 mins of a match.. Always people on here feeling we have to be underdogs play it down.. its not going to happening.. Luckily these guys have a lot more confidence and good mentality to play at this level and if they are beaten clare are better not the nonsense being spouted.
    Great post. We are the All Ireland champions and weare playing at home against a team we beat in Ennis two weeks ago. Why shouldn't we be favourites?

Great. Padre pio is back.

Think clare will have learned a bit more about themselves since the game in ennis. Also the full back line needs sorting out. Their big full forward shanagher wreaked havoc again last night as he did against us.

No harm being confident but cant be complacent either. Clare will have improved so we will need to aswell

• Advertisement

Would it be worth putting Shane Bennett on that Shanagher lad or would that be a waste? Who would be our best man marker?
    Seems if we could stop his threat we'd be in with a good shout.
    I read elsewhere that Clare are meant to have one of their best players back that missed the first game due to a burst appendix, think his name is Ben O' Gorman so that'll be a boost for them.
    It'll be tight I'd say but confident we can do the job again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement