Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

In fairness, professionals are totally geared towards their sport. Also these lads on the County team play a lot more games than just championship and league. Take Paudi Mahony, he was playing for WIT well say from the fitzgibbon last year. They made the semis, so 5 games there. I know he was actually injured for a good bit of the league, but hed have another 5 games there if fit. 4 championship games with Waterford. 8 championship games with Waterford. Then there's the Senior hurling colleges league, could play a few of those. I would say over the course of the year he made 10 other games be they challenges or whatever handy. That would come not very shy of 38 games.

There's no comparison, they don't get the same attention and rest

And he was u21 with club and county

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Top drawer

I think cutting the championship down to 8 teams would be very silly and disheartening for teams, i remember there was calls for it last year after an rinn and roanmore recieved heavy beatings, but look at the difference one year can make, roanmore have 3 points off passage (co. champs) and fourmilewater (always in knockout stages) if ppl had there way they wud of been playing ferrybank, clonea, and the likes of erins own,,, no disrespect. Every team is entitled to fight to stay senior, sometimes thats their news and star cup and maybe whoever struggles this year might be just one or two years away from clicking into a competitve senior team. Ardmore and tallow will struggle this year i believe but to say they deserve to be demoted because there is 3 top teams doesnt make sense. Let them fight,

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Just to add to our list of injuries I believe Jamie Barron has picked up a serious ankle injury at tonight's county training. Will we have 6 forwards fit for the Cork game? With the challenge game to come against Offaly it will be a case of keeping the fingers crossed we don't pick up anymore injuries.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Impossible. National Football League was on during this time.

Clubs get their county players for a small portion of the year. The underage county teams, development squads, schools, colleges etc. would have played a significant role in their development through childhood and young adulthood also - not just the clubs. You can be sure that the county board, and not the club, will now be spending money on getting this player back to fitness.

We're asking more questions now about player development, burnout and injury prevention. If the clubs aren't aware of the player's training schedule or don't have a full report on his physical condition, how can they take steps to ensure the player doesn't get injured once he is released into their care?

I mention care, because there is no duty of care towards the players from half these coaches and managers. Clubs are handing positions to guys with no training or qualifications and crossing their fingers that guys won't get hurt. We've gone beyond strained hamstrings, we're talking about young men requiring replacement hips and knees in their 30s.

Playing four games in four weeks won't result in you getting injured. Playing games while carrying an injury will almost certainly increase the severity of your injury.

Again, to cross into another sport, professional soccer players play at least one game a week for 9/10 months of the year. 30-40 games a year would be standard enough. While we're talking about amateurs, we would expect our GAA players to play about half as many games as that.

Why are our lads becoming so chronically injured at a young age? Waterford have kids at 18 getting double hip surgery. If a young lad in the Liverpool squad was getting that there would be serious questions asked.
    Brilliant piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

cul beag wrote: »
    Just to add to our list of injuries I believe Jamie Barron has picked up a serious ankle injury at tonight's county training. Will we have 6 forwards fit for the Cork game? With the challenge game to come against Offaly it will be a case of keeping the fingers crossed we don't pick up anymore injuries.
    Are you serious? Christ, they're dropping like flies

• Advertisement

Just to add to our list of injuries I believe Jamie Barron has picked up a serious ankle injury at tonight's county training. Will we have 6 forwards fit for the Cork game? .

Ah for the love of lord jaysus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

anymore word on this injury??

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

culbaire wrote: »
    There is too much gym at inter-county and club level. Time to refocus on hurling and build fitness into actual hurling on the field.
    clare do ferocious amounts of gym work and that didn`t work out too badly for them as i recall.

any report of the under 21 match with kilkenny tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

clare do ferocious amounts of gym work and that didn`t work out too badly for them as i recall.

No harm at all, this gym work increases strength, power, speed and flexibility, and the added bonus is you won't end up like a bug on a windscreen after marking jackie tyrell.

Incidentally, did anyone notice how much muscle micheal fenelly has added to his frame, I thought he looked a lot bigger in the league final

Think it was aimed more as an intermediate challenge than an u21. Didn't hear anything about it though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Hard luck to the minor footballers last night, giving a very strong Cork side a very good rattle in the process.

It's great to see a good team out, but massively frustrating to see how close we are to doing well despite putting little or no effort into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Slobbery wrote: »

Incidentally, did anyone notice how much muscle micheal fenelly has added to his frame, I thought he looked a lot bigger in the league final

James Woodlock's head certainly noticed!

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

Slobbery wrote: »

His younger brother Colin is bulking up as well. I remember 2 years ago he was a scrawny lad and didn't have much impact on games, now he is a regular in the team and well able to drive through defences for a score.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Hard luck to the minor footballers last night, giving a very strong Cork side a very good rattle in the process.

It's great to see a good team out, but massively frustrating to see how close we are to doing well despite putting little or no effort into it.
    It would make ya laugh, 5 points the difference between a team that started training before Christmas and a team that started 1 month ago. Looking back on yesterdays game, Waterford were unlucky to concede the goal in the first half, then missed 2 goal opportunities of their own. Conor Gleeson was winning everything that was kicked into him, if there was more runners from the half forward line once Gleeson was on the ball, they could have got a few more scores. Waterford started the 2nd half well but Cork dominated for the next 15mins, the last 10 belonged to Waterford.
    The Waterford Senior Footballers can benefit greatly from this team, looking through the team, there's 5 or 6 lads that can definitely play Senior, I know of course they'll lose lads to the Hurling, (Curran, Lyons, Prunty, Cronin, O'Halloran)
    If they can keep Ciaran O'Neill, Jack + Dylan Guiry, Jack Mullaney, Conor Gleeson, Conor Murray, Joe Allen etc playing football over the next few years and bring Brian Looby, Gavin Nugent, Patrick Hurney, Shane Ryan, Sean O' Hare onto the Senior panel also, in 2/3 years there will be a very good team out there. A full forward line of Paul Whyte, Conor Gleeson and Gavin Nugent would be top class!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deiseforall

Great display by the Waterford makeshift Intermediate team last night v Tipperary u21 team. Only 15 players available but everyone of them gave a sterling performance. Great to see 4 of last year Minors - Kevin Daly - Full Back, Tom Devine - Centre Back, Adam Farrell - Centre Forward & Micheal Harney- Half Forward on the team and out of the total 15 - 11 u21's. Lost 18pts to 1.12 to a nearly full strength Tipperary.

Great display by the Waterford makeshift Intermediate team last night v Tipperary u21 team. Only 15 players available but everyone of them gave a sterling performance. Great to see 4 of last year Minors - Kevin Daly - Full Back, Tom Devine - Centre Back, Adam Farrell - Centre Forward & Micheal Harney- Half Forward on the team and out of the total 15 - 11 u21's. Lost 18pts to 1.12 to a nearly full strength Tipperary.
    Could you name the full 15 please?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Could you name the full 15 please?

far be it from me to tell derek or the management to do their job but given number of injuries etc with senior set up, why not fire in these 15 lads to training panel for time being to beef up numbers and give a bit of a shot in the arm to things for coming weeks? surely some merit in it? plus you would not know what one of these lads could improve dramatically, i really liked that young lad harney last year, won some seriously dirty ball as did the lad from modeligo i think it was devine??

i think pair of these if they could step up could be the right kind of player we would need to combat cork at their own game? obviously its a massive step up but surely some merit in giving them a spin for a few weeks???

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

where is the challenge match on sunday ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

https://twitter.com/Stephen_Long/status/464462913039003648/photo/1

ken mcgrath all star challenge details

Munster team with strong Waterford presence managed by Davy Fitz haha! this will be hilarious

PTH2009 wrote: »
    where is the challenge match on sunday ??
    Carrickbeg 5pm

• Advertisement

Munster team with strong Waterford presence managed by Davy Fitz haha! this will be hilarious
    That's class haha

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

It would make ya laugh, 5 points the difference between a team that started training before Christmas and a team that started 1 month ago. Looking back on yesterdays game, Waterford were unlucky to concede the goal in the first half, then missed 2 goal opportunities of their own. Conor Gleeson was winning everything that was kicked into him, if there was more runners from the half forward line once Gleeson was on the ball, they could have got a few more scores. Waterford started the 2nd half well but Cork dominated for the next 15mins, the last 10 belonged to Waterford.
    The Waterford Senior Footballers can benefit greatly from this team, looking through the team, there's 5 or 6 lads that can definitely play Senior, I know of course they'll lose lads to the Hurling, (Curran, Lyons, Prunty, Cronin, O'Halloran)
    If they can keep Ciaran O'Neill, Jack + Dylan Guiry, Jack Mullaney, Conor Gleeson, Conor Murray, Joe Allen etc playing football over the next few years and bring Brian Looby, Gavin Nugent, Patrick Hurney, Shane Ryan, Sean O' Hare onto the Senior panel also, in 2/3 years there will be a very good team out there. A full forward line of Paul Whyte, Conor Gleeson and Gavin Nugent would be top class!

cormac curran won`t have the mobility to play senior intercounty hurling unless he cn improve his footwork significantly

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Great cause and looking at that will be a great night, not to be missed, hope they get a packed out house

cormac curran won`t have the mobility to play senior intercounty hurling unless he cn improve his footwork significantly

Give him a break hes only minor

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

I have to ask the question as to how only 15 players available in this county. I know there are injuries but no team representing us should be makeshift. F*****g joke

Ya coz Seamus Pender was on the Jamaican relay team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

KevIRL wrote: »
    Great cause and looking at that will be a great night, not to be missed, hope they get a packed out house

I'll be home for this one, be the last chance to see the some of the greats of the last decade together again, and maybe give tony the send off he deserves

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

I'll be home for this one, be the last chance to see the some of the greats of the last decade together again, and maybe give tony the send off he deserves

There's to be an All Ireland preview night in Mount Sion club after the match with a 'significant contribution to also be made to the Irish Heart Foundation at the personal request of Ken' - shows the class of the guy still thinking of others at a time of personal hardship

article up on the Journal http://thescore.thejournal.ie/ken-mcgrath-waterford-illness-1455108-May2014

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Get a grip man, he is only a young fellow.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

that is a decent result for Waterford, as that Cork team is pretty strong. Just so you know, Waterford had been going since at least February too, not a month ago. They had a good few challenge games and made somesort of an effort. Now I dont know exactly what they did or anything, but you shouldnt discredit them as if they were just thrown together at the last minute.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement