Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

bruschi wrote: »
    that is a decent result for Waterford, as that Cork team is pretty strong. Just so you know, Waterford had been going since at least February too, not a month ago. They had a good few challenge games and made somesort of an effort. Now I dont know exactly what they did or anything, but you shouldnt discredit them as if they were just thrown together at the last minute.

They played their first game in April. The most they would have got done before that was 2 months, in which time you need to hold trials, pick and train a squad. It's actually a pathetic level of preparation for this level, and is really unfair on the young lads involved.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

hardybuck wrote: »
    They played their first game in April. The most they would have got done before that was 2 months, in which time you need to hold trials, pick and train a squad. It's actually a pathetic level of preparation for this level, and is really unfair on the young lads involved.

they played Wexford in Carriganore in February (and again in Wexford in March). It may be a poor level of preparation etc, but I do know its more than they did last year.

they played Wexford in Carriganore in February (and again in Wexford in March). It may be a poor level of preparation etc, but I do know its more than they did last year.

Naturally you'd play a couple of friendlies to try and put a bit of shape on the squad, but I was talking about a competitive fixture.

Last year was an utter, utter disgrace. The kind of shambles which you'd see certain Ulster counties have for hurling preparation. If that should be used a benchmark for anything, it would be "let's not let things ever get as bad as 2013 again".

There would probably be a couple of dozen teams in Ireland who'd have been quite happy to get that close to Cork, all of them putting significantly more effort in than Waterford. Club teams would have significantly better prep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Naturally you'd play a couple of friendlies to try and put a bit of shape on the squad, but I was talking about a competitive fixture.

But no county had a competitive game until April in minor, hurling or football.

But no county had a competitive game until April in minor, hurling or football.

Jaysus, what are we fixating on April for? The only reason I referenced it was because someone mentioned that the team only started getting together in February. That's not acceptable at this level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Jaysus, what are we fixating on April for? The only reason I referenced it was because someone mentioned that the team only started getting together in February. That's not acceptable at this level.

Well the only reason I referenced February was because someone said they only got together a month ago, which was April, which also wasn't true. Whether that's acceptable or not, there was no need to over exaggerate the situation. No county was supposed to start before February (which obviously isn't adhered to) but it happened in Wexford too after their minor hurling management debacle and they didn't get going til then either.

Well the only reason I referenced February was because someone said they only got together a month ago, which was April, which also wasn't true. Whether that's acceptable or not, there was no need to over exaggerate the situation. No county was supposed to start before February (which obviously isn't adhered to) but it happened in Wexford too after their minor hurling management debacle and they didn't get going til then either.

OK - fair enough, but I'm not exaggerating. Unless things have changed significantly in recent years, the bigger counties will have development squads working away all the time. When I was playing minor, Waterford teams used to get together after the new year.

Considering that the Leinster minor football league started in the first week of Feb, I'd say you can take it that they got together before that. I know that my club had a months training done by that stage!

Obviously Waterford are All Ireland minor hurling champions. That is a competition we'd like to win as often as possible. We know what level of preparation is required to achieve that, and then we go and do it. We're essentially then saying that we don't want to ever win anything in football, and we won't give those lads any prospect of doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

comeraghs wrote: »
    If we lose to Cork, what weekend would we be out next & what teams might we be playing?

We will play either Offaly, Wexford, Galway,Dublin, Kilkenny, Antrim or Laois On the weekend of June 28th/29th.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

PTH2009 wrote: »
    We will play either Offaly, Wexford, Galway,Dublin, Kilkenny, Antrim or Laois On the weekend of June 28th/29th.

You must have gone to great lengths researching that

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

OK - fair enough, but I'm not exaggerating. Unless things have changed significantly in recent years, the bigger counties will have development squads working away all the time. When I was playing minor, Waterford teams used to get together after the new year.

Considering that the Leinster minor football league started in the first week of Feb, I'd say you can take it that they got together before that. I know that my club had a months training done by that stage!

Obviously Waterford are All Ireland minor hurling champions. That is a competition we'd like to win as often as possible. We know what level of preparation is required to achieve that, and then we go and do it. We're essentially then saying that we don't want to ever win anything in football, and we won't give those lads any prospect of doing so.

Ye, I think we trained for the football as well as we could, considering the the hurling team had the use of the dual players for their sessions. There was continuity from an U-17 developement football team last year but hardly on the scale of developement of the Tony Forristal U-14 team of 2010.
    However I do think there is potential to have a real go at the U-21 football over the next couple of years. The conflict of preparation/training isn't there at U-21, looking at the calender. We have had some success in under 21 football this century, more than the hurlers actually!!. The 2003 U-21 football campaign was very exciting, an incredible win against Colm Cooper's Kerry and a decent show in the semi final against Alan Brogan's Dublin in thurles. It's hard to believe now that both Waterford and Dublin were seeking their first U-21 all Ireland that day. In contrast, Waterford's last appearance in a Munster Minor Football final was 1958 which shows how hard it is to achieve anything at that level

• Advertisement

Also with regard to the U-21 Hurling team. I know they were beaten by what I expect to be a strong Dublin team 3-15 to 0-17 recently. Both sides experimental. Would anyone care to put forward a possible team for this year. Here is mine (and I know I could be leaving out a few)

S Barry

K Bennett T Bourke K Power

S McNulty R Barry A Gleeson

G O Brien C Dunford

DJ Foran D Breathnach J Barron

S Bennett J Dillon R Donnelly

All looks good on paper but thats been the way for the last 5 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

3ships wrote: »
    Also with regard to the U-21 Hurling team. I know they were beaten by what I expect to be a strong Dublin team 3-15 to 0-17 recently. Both sides experimental. Would anyone care to put forward a possible team for this year. Here is mine (and I know I could be leaving out a few)

S Barry

G O Brien C Dunford

Yea thats not far off id say but dont know about that as a full back line. Youd imagine kevin daly from dungarvan will be in there. And kieran power further out the field wing back or midfield. 4 of that 6 forward line are injured at the moment aswell so no guarantees theyll all be fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

robopaddy wrote: »
    Yea thats not far off id say but dont know about that as a full back line. Youd imagine kevin daly from dungarvan will be in there. And kieran power further out the field wing back or midfield. 4 of that 6 forward line are injured at the moment aswell so no guarantees theyll all be fit.

Make that 5 now! The latest with an ankle injury is Ray Barry. Definitely out of the Offaly challenge game and very doubtful to be back in time for the Cork game by all accounts. Must be like an a+e ward at training at the moment. Whether you're for or against this year's manager he definitely doesn't need the bad breaks he's getting at the moment. I'm sure some people would call it Karma I suppose!
    Surely the likes of Colin Dunford, Donie Breathnach, Thomas Connors and Killian Fitzgerald will see game time on Sunday,and will surely be in the reckoning for the Cork game aswell due to the injury list at the moment.

cul beag wrote: »
    Make that 5 now! The latest with an ankle injury is Ray Barry. Definitely out of the Offaly challenge game and very doubtful to be back in time for the Cork game by all accounts. Must be like an a+e ward at training at the moment. Whether you're for or against this year's manager he definitely doesn't need the bad breaks he's getting at the moment. I'm sure some people would call it Karma I suppose!
    Surely the likes of Colin Dunford, Donie Breathnach, Thomas Connors and Killian Fitzgerald will see game time on Sunday,and will surely be in the reckoning for the Cork game aswell due to the injury list at the moment.

Wake me up when 2014 is over!!! D breathnach is on the injury list aswell. To be honest at this stage id be saying this year is more about blooding young players and building for the future than anything else. We cannot realistically expect to be challenging for AI honours with the amount of injuries we have. Lads like daniels and mahony are already written off for the year. In a way its a blessing in disguise for management as expectations are going to be lower and this year was always going to be about rebuilding anyway.
    I honestly think that the u21 lads should concentrate on getting fit for the u21 championship rather than the senior championship. We play cork at home. That is a winnable game if we have all hands on deck its a competition we could have a real crack at winning this year. What a boost it would be for these lads and waterford hurling in general going forward if we could even win a munster u21. I know there is a lot of that clare team still u21 but with the players at our disposal we shouldnt be fearing anyone. But as far as the seniors are concerned its hard to see us still hurling beyond mid july this year

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

I don't think O'Brien is under 21, but you would have to fit Devine, Harney and Adam and Barry O'Sullivan too.

Waternut wrote: »
    I don't think O'Brien is under 21, but you would have to fit Devine, Harney and Adam and Barry O'Sullivan too.

O'brien is I remember he was minor captain 3 years ago Also cormac heffernan ferrybank and seamus keating ardmore

O'brien is I remember he was minor captain 3 years ago Also cormac heffernan ferrybank and seamus keating ardmore

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

I'd be very surprised to see Barry O'sullivan in the 24 if we were at the full of our health, Adam O'sullivan is the same unless he knuckles down with his club. One dark horse that might suprise some of ye this year is Adam Farrell he's doing very well centre forward for DLS in the two games of senior championship and both frank flannery & willie maher were really impressed by him. I reckon Aussie Gleeson will be in the forwards to create more of an attacking threat, something all good waterford teams had back in the glory days a real attacking mindset, The one team I'm really looking forward to seeing this year is the U21 team, no pressure on them at all & the best hurling man manager in the county looking after them and its good to see so many options for them. The senior team could suprise cork it wouldn't be a miracle to beat them but we're so thin on the ground with injuries you'd be inclined to write us off and anything else would be a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭thegambler2

Shane Roche from Shamrocks also,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Wake me up when 2014 is over!!! D breathnach is on the injury list aswell. To be honest at this stage id be saying this year is more about blooding young players and building for the future than anything else. We cannot realistically expect to be challenging for AI honours with the amount of injuries we have. Lads like daniels and mahony are already written off for the year. In a way its a blessing in disguise for management as expectations are going to be lower and this year was always going to be about rebuilding anyway.
    I honestly think that the u21 lads should concentrate on getting fit for the u21 championship rather than the senior championship. We play cork at home. That is a winnable game if we have all hands on deck its a competition we could have a real crack at winning this year. What a boost it would be for these lads and waterford hurling in general going forward if we could even win a munster u21. I know there is a lot of that clare team still u21 but with the players at our disposal we shouldnt be fearing anyone. But as far as the seniors are concerned its hard to see us still hurling beyond mid july this year

Donie Breathnach scored 1-2 at the weekend for An Rinn.

Kind of hard to really pick a Waterford team at the moment. Someone talked about shadow boxing, but with Shane Sully, Dillon, Maurice, Molumphy and Philip Mahony all definitely out, and the fact that O'Halloran, Darragh Fives, Richie Foley and possibly Liam Lawlor being unfit to start even though they may be forced to it really leaves us in the lurch. I know there was a lot of injuries v Kilkenny last year too, but this level is unprecendented in my time following the team as far as I can remember.

Best attempt at the moment maybe:

O'Keeffe
    Bourke S Fives Connors
    Nagle Brick Paudie Prender
    Moran Barrett
    A Gleeson Paudi Mahony Barron
    Barry Seamus Prender Donnelly

• Advertisement

S Barry

G O Brien C Dunford

I know theres a lot of injuries at the moment but heres my full strength team

Barry
    Hahessy Devine Shane Roche

Power Bourke McNulty

Gavin O'Brien Barry

A.Gleeson Breathnach Barron

Bennett Dillion Donnelly

Obviously Devine isnt a natural fullback but I think given a month to adjust to the position, he would fit in quite nicely, he has the speed and strength to handle any player.

* Forgot to mention Colin Dunford - would ideally have him come on as a sub, and run at tired defences

Kind of hard to really pick a Waterford team at the moment. Someone talked about shadow boxing, but with Shane Sully, Dillon, Maurice, Molumphy and Philip Mahony all definitely out, and the fact that O'Halloran, Darragh Fives, Richie Foley and possibly Liam Lawlor being unfit to start even though they may be forced to it really leaves us in the lurch. I know there was a lot of injuries v Kilkenny last year too, but this level is unprecendented in my time following the team as far as I can remember.

O'Keeffe
    Bourke S Fives Connors
    Moran Barrett

I agree with that but Derek McGrath will pick Brian O Sullivan prob iso Donnelly. I'd say the injury situation is as bad as we think as the SOS appeal is still going on and now with the DRC. If Fives, Foley and Molumphy were all fit I wonder would they take it that far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I agree with that but Derek McGrath will pick Brian O Sullivan prob iso Donnelly. I'd say the injury situation is as bad as we think as the SOS appeal is still going on and now with the DRC. If Fives, Foley and Molumphy were all fit I wonder would they take it that far

They should take it as far as they can, it was a joke of a sending off. Agree though, sounds like we're struggling.

Says a lot that I couldn't even think of Brian O'Sullivan even though he started every game I'm pretty sure. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong.

Barry

Power Bourke McNulty

Gavin O'Brien Barry

Bennett Dillion Donnelly

Obviously Devine isnt a natural fullback but I think given a month to adjust to the position, he would fit in quite nicely, he has the speed and strength to handle any player.

* Forgot to mention Colin Dunford - would ideally have him come on as a sub, and run at tired defences

Good call on Shane Roche, still prefer Bourke full back as he is safe as houses, maybe Devine wing and McNulty CB but would'nt disagree elsewhere. Along with the other names I would add Darren Foley, Brendan Phelan, Cian Lemy and Mickey Kearney as worth consideration. Thats a strong panel and hopefully will see a lot of them line out for the intermediate team v Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully we will get no more injuries tomorrow

Anyone going to go to carrickbeg 2morrow

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Div.1 Minor Football Semi-Finals on in Fraher field tomorrow, should be two good games

Ballinacourty v Nire at 2 o clock followed by Dungarvan v Stradbally at 3.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Div.1 Minor Football Semi-Finals on in Fraher field tomorrow, should be two good games

Ballinacourty v Nire at 2 o clock followed by Dungarvan v Stradbally at 3.30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Barry

Power Bourke McNulty

Gavin O'Brien Barry

Bennett Dillion Donnelly

Why not Kevin Daly full back? a month isn't enough for Devine to learn the position at inter county

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Why not Kevin Daly full back? a month isn't enough for Devine to learn the position at inter county

I havent seen Daly recently, but I would always just be afraid of him being isolated with a fast full forward! He is a great player in a tight affair for holding off strong players.
    Just my opinion anyway!

• Advertisement

O'Keeffe
    Bourke S Fives Connors
    Moran Barrett

My bad on breathnach dunno why i hwd it in my head that he was out.

God that is a weak team unfortnately. I agree with paudie prendeegast I would love to see him in but when management didnt even give him one minute of game time during the league its hard to see how their going to pick him for the championship as he obviously wasn't in their plans. Ive a feeling roche from mt sion will get a start. Also Brian o sullivan has been one of this managers first names on the teamsheet everytime so I think its a given he will start no matter whose fit

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement