Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

A month to play full back is ridiculous. Daly is a natural in there and his brain moves faster than 90% of the guys he's marking so I'd deffo start him. He reads it so well which is massive for that position, he has more pace than lawlor and better hurling so can't see how he is written off and lawlor herald as a big miss for the seniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Other contenders for the Under 21 panel would be Michael Harney and Cathal Curran.

What's the story with Eoin Madigan? Is he showing any signs of returning to hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

3ships wrote: »
    Good call on Shane Roche,.

Unfashionable club but I think he is the best hurler in the intermediate grade in Waterford, that includes Tadhg Burke and Stephen and Shane Bennett, All 4 should be on our senior first 15 if fit imo, controversial maybe but look at Clare last year

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

ovalu wrote: »
    Unfashionable club but I think he is the best hurler in the intermediate grade in Waterford, that includes Tadhg Burke and Stephen and Shane Bennett, All 4 should be on our senior first 15 if fit imo, controversial maybe but look at Clare last year

Darragh Fives is the best intermediate club hurler in Waterford by a fair bit in my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Darragh Fives is the best intermediate club hurler in Waterford by a fair bit in my opinion

Probably the biggest intercounty name anyway.

Just on the issue of good young intermediate players ib fairness both divisional intermediate championships are fairly poor. They are well past their sell by date and a lot of good young hurlers coming through with these clubs are being expoesed to a fairly poor standard in a lot of games lacking in passion and quality. its not good for the development of players that deserve a higher standard of hurling.
    Until such time as an all county intermediate championship and intermediate premier championship is set up will the standard increase. You can see the type of hammering ardmore got last weekend and thats a pretty regular occurrence for whatever team goes up senior and at the end of the day its not really an incentive for anyone winning an intermediate championship knowing they will be straight back down.
    There should not be such a vast difference in quality between senior and intermediate clubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭ovalu

True, I forgot about Darragh

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

robopaddy wrote: »

Just on the issue of good young intermediate players ib fairness both divisional intermediate championships are fairly poor. They are well past their sell by date and a lot of good young hurlers coming through with these clubs are being expoesed to a fairly poor standard in a lot of games lacking in passion and quality. its not good for the development of players that deserve a higher standard of hurling.
    Until such time as an all county intermediate championship and intermediate premier championship is set up will the standard increase. You can see the type of hammering ardmore got last weekend and thats a pretty regular occurrence for whatever team goes up senior and at the end of the day its not really an incentive for anyone winning an intermediate championship knowing they will be straight back down.
    There should not be such a vast difference in quality between senior and intermediate clubs.

This is definitely true, its a big issue. However, what must be also noted is the increase in standards of the junior teams in this county. Long gone are the days of complete hatchet men, these teams are able to play hurling. There are definitely 1 or 2 teams in junior that are better than 3 or 4 that are up intermediate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Brad1234 wrote: »
    A month to play full back is ridiculous. Daly is a natural in there and his brain moves faster than 90% of the guys he's marking so I'd deffo start him. He reads it so well which is massive for that position, he has more pace than lawlor and better hurling so can't see how he is written off and lawlor herald as a big miss for the seniors.

What are you on about?

By the way, talking about a month to play full back, how long exactly was Kevin Daly given before they threw him in there v Cork?

And is it your understanding that Liam Lawlor is u21 or do you think Daly has skipped the queue over not only himself but Shane Fives as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

What are you on about?

By the way, talking about a month to play full back, how long exactly was Kevin Daly given before they threw him in there v Cork?

And is it your understanding that Liam Lawlor is u21 or do you think Daly has skipped the queue over not only himself but Shane Fives as well?

Daly played a lot of underage hurling at full back so when he was out wing back v tipp and then switched it was more putting him back where he belonged. He isn't a bad centre back either but you can see by watching him far more comfortable at 3. If it was easy as giving a guy a months notice to go in full back then Waterford should have had no issues over the years.

My post was in relation to the u21 side being lined up and how I feel comments made about dalys lack of speed are sharp contrast to people saying Liam lawlor should be full back for the seniors who I feel is slower but has the same attributes as Daly.

Daly for senior squad no not yet as I think a lot of these people are being rushed as he really started to gain more confidence as the year went on last year and natural progression is for him to play u21 and grow again.

Shane fives for me at full back for seniors at minute but long term I think ruling out daly is harsh.

Waterford hurling is long term project and will take more enjoyment out of u21 minor this year than seniors as there's an awful lot of average players still hanging in the squad who haven't really progressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford 2-17- Offaly 0-06 half time

No scoreboard so score may be wrong lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Deisegodeo

5-20 to 0-10. Doesnt sound like a very worthwhile game. Colin Dunford has scored 2-2, might well be in strong contention for a starting place v Cork now

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

O Keeffe; Connors Lawlor Coughlan; Nagle Moran Bourke; Walsh Barrett; O Brien Mahony Gleeson; O Sullivan Walsh Dunford

6-23 to 0-14 ft

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Yeah would agree with standards alright. Group teams might be an option to improve Senior standard but fixture congestion with Intermediate and Junior Clubs could then be a problem. There is very little between junior and Intermediate but huge gap from Intermediate to Senior.
    Just a quick stab at a all county format.

Senior 12 teams 2x6 with 2 relegated
    Inter Prem 12 teams 2 groups of 6 with 2 promoted and 2 relegated
    Inter Div 1 12 teams 2 groups of 6 with 2 promoted and 2 relegated
    Junior Prem 12 teams approx. with 2 groups of 6 with 2 promoted and 2 relegated.
    Junior A similar format with 2 groups with 2 promoted and 2 relegated
    Junior B similar format with 2 groups and 2 promoted.

I believe that second and third string teams should start either Junior A or B and work their way up. Any second team playing Intermediate in East or Junior(Senior attached) East/West should start at Junior A and teams currently Junior (Inter) attached East/West should start at Junior B. I have to admire fixture list produced at start of year by Eastern Board with players knowing definite dates of games at start of year in Intermediate and junior. 2 up and 2 down is crucial as a lot of teams floating about same divisions for years not really benefiting the championship. Would keep everyone on their toes

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Not a great amount to be learned after the game this evening. Definitely i can see Dunford, his pace is frightening and seems to be moving very well at the moment. With the amount of injuries he is as good an option as anyone else and to be honest he probably deserves to start on his own merit outside of any injuries. Hopefully the occasion wouldn't get to him but there is nothing more a back hates than pace and he has it in abundance.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

Lads can I ask do any of you know what the Offaly team was??

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Lads can I ask do any of you know what the Offaly team was??

courtesy of Tomás McCarthy on twitter

Offaly: Dempsey; Wynne Healion Mooney; Egan Morkan Parlon; Connolly S Ryan; Slevin Dooley Geraghty; Carroll Bergin E Ryan

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭toxicity234

thanks. best of luck to Waterford this year

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Nice to see Liam lawlor,Darragh Fives,Ritchie Foley, Brian O Halloran and Jake Dillon getting game time tonight. We need em all back, just wondering would lack of match sharpness come against starting them against Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Waterford 6-24 Offaly 0-15

Waterford romped to a facile victory over a poor Offaly outfit in this senior hurling challenge at the St Molleran’s ground in Carrickbeg today. Not only did they score 30 times but they also hit 22 wides, compared with Offaly’s fifteen scores and eight wides (all of the latter struck in the second half).

Waterford lined out with Liam Lawlor at fullback (in front of Stephen O’Keeffe) with Noel Connors and Barry Coughlan in the corners. Kevin Moran was at centre back with Jamie Nagle and Tadhg Bourke on the wings. Brick Walsh and Eddie Barrett were at midfield. Pauric Mahony was on the forty with Gavin O’Brien and Austin Gleeson on either side while Shane Walsh was at full with Brian O’Sullivan and surprise selection (to me, anyway) Colin Dunford of Colligan in the corners.

It was a fine day but a strong blustery wind was blowing towards the town goal and assisted Waterford in the first half. There were no indications in the early stages of how the game was to eventually turn out. Offaly started confidently enough, working the ball out of defence against the wind with some slick short-passing moves. However, once Brick took over in midfield with the assistance of the hard-working Eddie Barrett and with Jamie Nagle and Tadhg Bourke doing well at wing back, Waterford assumed almost total territorial dominance. They had some early difficulties with the wind but once they got their eye in the scores began to flow, with Offaly’s few replies mainly coming from frees.

The first goal was a typical Brian O’Sullivan effort, picking up a good low ball into the corner and then skinning his marker to finish emphatically. Colin Dunford notched the second, also finishing well after being set up by Shane Walsh, who had an excellent first half. Half time score Waterford 2-16 Offaly 0-6.

Waterford started the second half with the same fifteen, and kept up the pressure with Colin Dunford notching a good second goal. Waterford then rang the changes with a whole slew of substitutions (I counted 13 in all but there may have been more). These included, unexpectedly, Jake Dillon but he did not last long before himself being substituted (I was told afterwards this was only precautionary).

Although Offaly had wind assistance it took them 15 minutes before getting their first score of the second half while Waterford piled on the pressure, including two goals from Seamus Prendergast (who replaced Shane Walsh) and one from Killian Fitzgerald (I think, although someone else thought it was Ryan Donnelly – he was wearing no. 22).

Despite all the substitutions, Waterford probably played better in the second half as, playing against the strong wind they had to be more constructive and precise in their play. They put together a lot of good movements and regularly tore the Offaly rearguard apart, but ten second half wides shooting into the wind kept the margin of victory down.

Such was the poor calibre of the opposition and the open nature of the play that this game will have been of little use as championship preparation. However, the game did show that, even with several players injured, Waterford still have a strong panel, with their domination of this game continuing even after most of the starting fifteen had been substituted.

For Waterford, Liam Lawlor, in his first game back, had his problems against big Joe Bergin. Barry Coughlan played the whole game and did well. Paudie Prendergast replaced Noel Connors at corner back in the second half. It was good to see him finally being given some game time and, as usual, he gave a polished performance. Ian O’Regan also replaced Stephen O’Keeffe in the second half.

Tadhg Bourke was very impressive in his first outing in the half back line (following up on what I believe was an excellent performance at centre back with UCC in the Cork senior championship on Saturday – a game in which DJ Foran, Shane Roche and Mark O’Brien also played). In the second half he and Kevin Moran were replaced by Richie Foley and Shane Fives.
    Brick and Eddie Barrett were replaced by Shane O’Sullivan and Shane McNulty who has strengthened up a lot and gave some excellent ball into the forwards. Barrett came on again to replace Jake Dillon.

Gavin O’Brien had a good first half on the wing, notching four points, but Austin Gleeson didn’t seem to have much impact. They (and Pauric Mahony, who played well) were replaced by Jake Dillon, Tomás Connors and (I think) Killian Fitzgerald. Colin Dunford appears to have put on a bit of extra muscle but has retained his lightning speed and was going past Offaly defenders as if they weren’t there. He finished with 2-2. He was replaced by Stephen Roche, with Seamus Prendergast (who looked very sharp) coming on for Shane Walsh and Brian O’Halloran replacing Brian O’Sullivan. It was good to have O’Halloran back and he played to good effect. I was told later on that Donie Breathnach was supposed to have played but I didn’t notice this.

Missing on the day (apart from long-term injuries Stephen Daniels and Philip O’Mahony) were Darragh Fives, Stephen Molumphy, Jamie Barron, Ray Barry and Maurice Shanahan. The general view after the game was that Fives, Molumphy and Barry all have a good chance of being ready for the Cork game but that the immediate outlook for Barron and Shanahan was not as positive.

Waterford play Tipperary behind closed doors in Thurles next Tuesday. This is likely to be a more serious test and it is likely that the starting line-up here will be more along championship lines.

Waterford scorers: Colin Dunford (2-2); Seamus Prendergast (2-1); Pauric Mahony (0-6, five frees); Brian O’Sullivan and Killian Fitzgerald (?) (1-1 each); Gavin O’Brien (0-4); Jamie Nagle, Eddie Barrett and Shane Walsh (0-2 each); Tadhg Bourke, Austin Gleeson and Jake Dillon (0-1 each).

• Advertisement

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford 6-24 Offaly 0-15

Waterford romped to a facile victory over a poor Offaly outfit in this senior hurling challenge at the St Molleran’s ground in Carrickbeg today. Not only did they score 30 times but they also hit 22 wides, compared with Offaly’s fifteen scores and eight wides (all of the latter struck in the second half).

Waterford lined out with Liam Lawlor at fullback (in front of Stephen O’Keeffe) with Noel Connors and Barry Coughlan in the corners. Kevin Moran was at centre back with Jamie Nagle and Tadhg Bourke on the wings. Brick Walsh and Eddie Barrett were at midfield. Pauric Mahony was on the forty with Gavin O’Brien and Austin Gleeson on either side while Shane Walsh was at full with Brian O’Sullivan and surprise selection (to me, anyway) Colin Dunford of Colligan in the corners.

It was a fine day but a strong blustery wind was blowing towards the town goal and assisted Waterford in the first half. There were no indications in the early stages of how the game was to eventually turn out. Offaly started confidently enough, working the ball out of defence against the wind with some slick short-passing moves. However, once Brick took over in midfield with the assistance of the hard-working Eddie Barrett and with Jamie Nagle and Tadhg Bourke doing well at wing back, Waterford assumed almost total territorial dominance. They had some early difficulties with the wind but once they got their eye in the scores began to flow, with Offaly’s few replies mainly coming from frees.

The first goal was a typical Brian O’Sullivan effort, picking up a good low ball into the corner and then skinning his marker to finish emphatically. Colin Dunford notched the second, also finishing well after being set up by Shane Walsh, who had an excellent first half. Half time score Waterford 2-16 Offaly 0-6.

Waterford started the second half with the same fifteen, and kept up the pressure with Colin Dunford notching a good second goal. Waterford then rang the changes with a whole slew of substitutions (I counted 13 in all but there may have been more). These included, unexpectedly, Jake Dillon but he did not last long before himself being substituted (I was told afterwards this was only precautionary).

Although Offaly had wind assistance it took them 15 minutes before getting their first score of the second half while Waterford piled on the pressure, including two goals from Seamus Prendergast (who replaced Shane Walsh) and one from Killian Fitzgerald (I think, although someone else thought it was Ryan Donnelly – he was wearing no. 22).

Despite all the substitutions, Waterford probably played better in the second half as, playing against the strong wind they had to be more constructive and precise in their play. They put together a lot of good movements and regularly tore the Offaly rearguard apart, but ten second half wides shooting into the wind kept the margin of victory down.

Such was the poor calibre of the opposition and the open nature of the play that this game will have been of little use as championship preparation. However, the game did show that, even with several players injured, Waterford still have a strong panel, with their domination of this game continuing even after most of the starting fifteen had been substituted.

For Waterford, Liam Lawlor, in his first game back, had his problems against big Joe Bergin. Barry Coughlan played the whole game and did well. Paudie Prendergast replaced Noel Connors at corner back in the second half. It was good to see him finally being given some game time and, as usual, he gave a polished performance. Ian O’Regan also replaced Stephen O’Keeffe in the second half.

Tadhg Bourke was very impressive in his first outing in the half back line (following up on what I believe was an excellent performance at centre back with UCC in the Cork senior championship on Saturday – a game in which DJ Foran, Shane Roche and Mark O’Brien also played). In the second half he and Kevin Moran were replaced by Richie Foley and Shane Fives.
    Brick and Eddie Barrett were replaced by Shane O’Sullivan and Shane McNulty who has strengthened up a lot and gave some excellent ball into the forwards. Barrett came on again to replace Jake Dillon.

Gavin O’Brien had a good first half on the wing, notching four points, but Austin Gleeson didn’t seem to have much impact. They (and Pauric Mahony, who played well) were replaced by Jake Dillon, Tomás Connors and (I think) Killian Fitzgerald. Colin Dunford appears to have put on a bit of extra muscle but has retained his lightning speed and was going past Offaly defenders as if they weren’t there. He finished with 2-2. He was replaced by Stephen Roche, with Seamus Prendergast (who looked very sharp) coming on for Shane Walsh and Brian O’Halloran replacing Brian O’Sullivan. It was good to have O’Halloran back and he played to good effect. I was told later on that Donie Breathnach was supposed to have played but I didn’t notice this.

Missing on the day (apart from long-term injuries Stephen Daniels and Philip O’Mahony) were Darragh Fives, Stephen Molumphy, Jamie Barron, Ray Barry and Maurice Shanahan. The general view after the game was that Fives, Molumphy and Barry all have a good chance of being ready for the Cork game but that the immediate outlook for Barron and Shanahan was not as positive.

Waterford play Tipperary behind closed doors in Thurles next Tuesday. This is likely to be a more serious test and it is likely that the starting line-up here will be more along championship lines.

Waterford scorers: Colin Dunford (2-2); Seamus Prendergast (2-1); Pauric Mahony (0-6, five frees); Brian O’Sullivan and Killian Fitzgerald (?) (1-1 each); Gavin O’Brien (0-4); Jamie Nagle, Eddie Barrett and Shane Walsh (0-2 each); Tadhg Bourke, Austin Gleeson and Jake Dillon (0-1 each).

Brilliant report. A bit more enthusiastic about the championship having read it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

That's a very positive result, I know people will say it was a poor Offaly side and it was only a challenge game with home advantage but it's good to see the younger lads able to put in good shifts and bag a good few scores. It can't do confidence any harm at all, particularly for the youngsters.
    The form of Colin Dunford, Paudi Prendergast, Ray Barry and others is encouraging.
    Also fingers crossed Fives, Barry, Molumphy and Dillon will be fit for Cork.
    That challenge v Tipp will tell a lot more I suppose.
    Cheers for the write up Giveitfong, great read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

cul beag wrote: »
    Nice to see Liam lawlor,Darragh Fives,Ritchie Foley, Brian O Halloran and Jake Dillon getting game time tonight. We need em all back, just wondering would lack of match sharpness come against starting them against Cork?

Did Dara Fives play? no mention of him in the Examiner report, seems very positive to have so many injured guys coming back into contention.

hopefully Shane O Sullivans appeal is successful and we will be in good shape going into the cork game

Slobbery wrote: »
    Did Dara Fives play? no mention of him in the Examiner report, seems very positive to have so many injured guys coming back into contention.

hopefully Shane O Sullivans appeal is successful and we will be in good shape going into the cork game

Would be a boost if o sullivan was available, but not the end of the world if he wasnt either

Would be a boost if o sullivan was available, but not the end of the world if he wasnt either

Think psychologically it would be a big plus. The more players available, the more positive the players will be going out. Hope for himself too its over turned,so annoyed about his and Bricks suspensions upheld. If it was Cork wed hear hes not a dirty player, and so hed be let off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Think psychologically it would be a big plus. The more players available, the more positive the players will be going out. Hope for himself too its over turned,so annoyed about his and Bricks suspensions upheld. If it was Cork wed hear hes not a dirty player, and so hed be let off.

Its a conspiracy alright lad. By all means, get all of the excuses out early.

Orizio wrote: »
    Its a conspiracy alright lad. By all means, get all of the excuses out early.

If Waterford are beaten by Cork , it will be because they're the better team.

But I suppose you won't be there either way, to watch this team who you believe have nothing coming through and are being ruined by Frank Murphy.

If you can explain to me exactly why Brick and Shane Sully are more worthy of a ban than Horgan was, or the man that served no game suspension in 2008,

Tom Kenny, by all means go ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

cork beat dublin in a challenge match sunday by 1 point in a high scoring game so thats something to worry about the way Cork are scoring

sure its not the end of the road if cork beat us. we still have one more match hopefully we dont get drawn against Galway or Dublin cause i cant see us winning against teams like them

Im knw im a pessimist but hopefully i go up to thurles on the 25th and see a proud performance from Waterford and get my moneys worth

From watchin the offaly game we seem to be playing the same system as the league which could backfire agaisnt us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

PTH2009 wrote: »
    cork beat dublin in a challenge match sunday by 1 point in a high scoring game so thats something to worry about the way Cork are scoring

sure its not the end of the road if cork beat us. we still have one more match hopefully we dont get drawn against Galway or Dublin cause i cant see us winning against teams like them

Im knw im a pessimist but hopefully i go up to thurles on the 25th and see a proud performance from Waterford and get my moneys worth

From watchin the offaly game we seem to be playing the same system as the league which could backfire agaisnt us

We had a system in the league??😜

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement