Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

PTH2009 wrote: »

From watchin the offaly game we seem to be playing the same system as the league which could backfire agaisnt us

At least some more players were given a look at albeit due to injuries. The likes of colin dunford scoring 2-2 youd wonder why he never got a look in during the league while we kept persisting with the same players who obviously werent performing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

robopaddy wrote: »
    At least some more players were given a look at albeit due to injuries. The likes of colin dunford scoring 2-2 youd wonder why he never got a look in during the league while we kept persisting with the same players who obviously werent performing
    He had surgery on his shoulder, wasn't fit until april

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

But I suppose you won't be there either way, to watch this team who you believe have nothing coming through and are being ruined by Frank Murphy.

I'd say I won't be there because I live 7,000 miles away myself.
    If you can explain to me exactly why Brick and Shane Sully are more worthy of a ban than Horgan was, or the man that served no game suspension in 2008,

Tom Kenny, by all means go ahead.

As I said, its all a Frank Murphy orchestrated conspiracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Waterford 6-24 Offaly 0-15

Waterford romped to a facile victory over a poor Offaly outfit in this senior hurling challenge at the St Molleran’s ground in Carrickbeg today. Not only did they score 30 times but they also hit 22 wides, compared with Offaly’s fifteen scores and eight wides (all of the latter struck in the second half).

Waterford lined out with Liam Lawlor at fullback (in front of Stephen O’Keeffe) with Noel Connors and Barry Coughlan in the corners. Kevin Moran was at centre back with Jamie Nagle and Tadhg Bourke on the wings. Brick Walsh and Eddie Barrett were at midfield. Pauric Mahony was on the forty with Gavin O’Brien and Austin Gleeson on either side while Shane Walsh was at full with Brian O’Sullivan and surprise selection (to me, anyway) Colin Dunford of Colligan in the corners.

It was a fine day but a strong blustery wind was blowing towards the town goal and assisted Waterford in the first half. There were no indications in the early stages of how the game was to eventually turn out. Offaly started confidently enough, working the ball out of defence against the wind with some slick short-passing moves. However, once Brick took over in midfield with the assistance of the hard-working Eddie Barrett and with Jamie Nagle and Tadhg Bourke doing well at wing back, Waterford assumed almost total territorial dominance. They had some early difficulties with the wind but once they got their eye in the scores began to flow, with Offaly’s few replies mainly coming from frees.

The first goal was a typical Brian O’Sullivan effort, picking up a good low ball into the corner and then skinning his marker to finish emphatically. Colin Dunford notched the second, also finishing well after being set up by Shane Walsh, who had an excellent first half. Half time score Waterford 2-16 Offaly 0-6.

Waterford started the second half with the same fifteen, and kept up the pressure with Colin Dunford notching a good second goal. Waterford then rang the changes with a whole slew of substitutions (I counted 13 in all but there may have been more). These included, unexpectedly, Jake Dillon but he did not last long before himself being substituted (I was told afterwards this was only precautionary).

Although Offaly had wind assistance it took them 15 minutes before getting their first score of the second half while Waterford piled on the pressure, including two goals from Seamus Prendergast (who replaced Shane Walsh) and one from Killian Fitzgerald (I think, although someone else thought it was Ryan Donnelly – he was wearing no. 22).

Despite all the substitutions, Waterford probably played better in the second half as, playing against the strong wind they had to be more constructive and precise in their play. They put together a lot of good movements and regularly tore the Offaly rearguard apart, but ten second half wides shooting into the wind kept the margin of victory down.

Such was the poor calibre of the opposition and the open nature of the play that this game will have been of little use as championship preparation. However, the game did show that, even with several players injured, Waterford still have a strong panel, with their domination of this game continuing even after most of the starting fifteen had been substituted.

For Waterford, Liam Lawlor, in his first game back, had his problems against big Joe Bergin. Barry Coughlan played the whole game and did well. Paudie Prendergast replaced Noel Connors at corner back in the second half. It was good to see him finally being given some game time and, as usual, he gave a polished performance. Ian O’Regan also replaced Stephen O’Keeffe in the second half.

Tadhg Bourke was very impressive in his first outing in the half back line (following up on what I believe was an excellent performance at centre back with UCC in the Cork senior championship on Saturday – a game in which DJ Foran, Shane Roche and Mark O’Brien also played). In the second half he and Kevin Moran were replaced by Richie Foley and Shane Fives.
    Brick and Eddie Barrett were replaced by Shane O’Sullivan and Shane McNulty who has strengthened up a lot and gave some excellent ball into the forwards. Barrett came on again to replace Jake Dillon.

Gavin O’Brien had a good first half on the wing, notching four points, but Austin Gleeson didn’t seem to have much impact. They (and Pauric Mahony, who played well) were replaced by Jake Dillon, Tomás Connors and (I think) Killian Fitzgerald. Colin Dunford appears to have put on a bit of extra muscle but has retained his lightning speed and was going past Offaly defenders as if they weren’t there. He finished with 2-2. He was replaced by Stephen Roche, with Seamus Prendergast (who looked very sharp) coming on for Shane Walsh and Brian O’Halloran replacing Brian O’Sullivan. It was good to have O’Halloran back and he played to good effect. I was told later on that Donie Breathnach was supposed to have played but I didn’t notice this.

Missing on the day (apart from long-term injuries Stephen Daniels and Philip O’Mahony) were Darragh Fives, Stephen Molumphy, Jamie Barron, Ray Barry and Maurice Shanahan. The general view after the game was that Fives, Molumphy and Barry all have a good chance of being ready for the Cork game but that the immediate outlook for Barron and Shanahan was not as positive.

Waterford play Tipperary behind closed doors in Thurles next Tuesday. This is likely to be a more serious test and it is likely that the starting line-up here will be more along championship lines.

Waterford scorers: Colin Dunford (2-2); Seamus Prendergast (2-1); Pauric Mahony (0-6, five frees); Brian O’Sullivan and Killian Fitzgerald (?) (1-1 each); Gavin O’Brien (0-4); Jamie Nagle, Eddie Barrett and Shane Walsh (0-2 each); Tadhg Bourke, Austin Gleeson and Jake Dillon (0-1 each).
    Thanks for a most comprehensive report.

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    He had surgery on his shoulder, wasn't fit until april

Fair enough but not just talking about him though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Orizio wrote: »
    I'd say I won't be there because I live 7,000 miles away myself.

As I said, its all a Frank Murphy orchestrated conspiracy.

Good of you to join us so, always appreciate your contribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

robopaddy wrote: »
    Brilliant report. A bit more enthusiastic about the championship having read it
    ah come on now ,enthusiastic/ realistic yes they beat the worst hurling team in the country with a make shift side ,lets see how the Tipp game goes

ah come on now ,enthusiastic/ realistic yes they beat the worst hurling team in the country with a make shift side ,lets see how the Tipp game goes

All Im saying is that it was a positive performance inspite of all the doom and gloom of this year so far. Who cares about the opposition at the end of the day its a fellow 1B county all you can do is go out and perform

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

any news from thurles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Any one who thinks that Waterford will lie down against Cork are dreaming. Cork are no world beaters. If ink on paper won all Irelands then they Cork would along with Clare be unbeatable, but lest you all forget, it ain't ink on paper, it is blood and guts on grass that will determine the winners and Waterford have as much as Cork when it comes to that cut and just as much skill.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Any one who thinks that Waterford will lie down against Cork are dreaming. Cork are no world beaters. If ink on paper won all Irelands then they Cork would along with Clare be unbeatable, but lest you all forget, it ain't ink on paper, it is blood and guts on grass that will determine the winners and Waterford have as much as Cork when it comes to that cut and just as much skill.

have you seen any Waterford league matches this year???

agree 100% cork are no world beaters...clare should have beat them handy the first day in the AI...cork people around me at it said as much

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭jimbo21

any news from the tipp game

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

jimbo21 wrote: »
    any news from the tipp game
    Tipp won. Dont have score

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭carter10

carter10 wrote: »
    Tipp won. Dont have score

Correction, Waterford won on a scoreline of 2-15 to 1-17

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

carter10 wrote: »
    Correction, Waterford won on a scoreline of 2-15 to 1-17

Nice one, any word on teams or scorers?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

Over on premierview it is being reported as a Tipp victory but not much more information as it was a behind closed doors game.

Someone who was at it did say the Waterford keeper went off injured

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Brick midfield for the Championship? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Deise_abu wrote: »
    Over on premierview it is being reported as a Tipp victory but not much more information as it was a behind closed doors game.

Someone who was at it did say the Waterford keeper went off injured

Yea heard tipp won by a few points and that shane walsh went off injured

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Yea heard tipp won by a few points and that shane walsh went off injured

Waterford won by 2 points

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Disaster to lose Sok and Shane Walsh if true about there injurys

Hopefully the lads will be back in time for the qualifiers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Doubt it was SOKY , he is in the middle of exams

https://twitter.com/sok91/statuses/466136657503481856

P.S. yes I was the one who replied

Not even certain who won the game so I'd hold off on those concerns for the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Not even certain who won the game so I'd hold off on those concerns for the minute.
    Tipp were missin noel mcgrath bonner an Pauric maher not sure of score

Sok
    Coghlan lawlor connors
    tadgh moran nagle
    Brick eddie Barrett
    Jake paudie ray barry
    Brian sull- An other- breathnach

there's my team for Cork game I'm confident 1 - 9 is lining out like that

Sok
    Coghlan lawlor connors
    tadgh moran nagle
    Brick eddie Barrett
    Jake paudie ray barry

No Shane Fives?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Sok
    Coghlan lawlor connors
    tadgh moran nagle
    Brick eddie Barrett
    Jake paudie ray barry

Ray Barry is injured, Breathnach has seen little if any game time and I rekon at least one if not both of the fives will be in the mix,

No Shane Fives?

Nope unfortunately. First thing I said meself lad

Ray Barry is injured, Breathnach has seen little if any game time and I rekon at least one if not both of the fives will be in the mix,

Breathnach im told done well last nite scoring 1-3. Ray Barry is available but again I wasnt there so who knows men. Daragh not fit and Shane is unlucky that others goin well who knows

Breathnach im told done well last nite scoring 1-3. Ray Barry is available but again I wasnt there so who knows men. Daragh not fit and Shane is unlucky that others goin well who knows

Why would Fives fall out of favour completely though after starting every single game, would say he finished em all too? Surely hed at least be starting, even if not at full?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Sok
    Coghlan lawlor connors
    tadgh moran nagle
    Brick eddie Barrett
    Jake paudie ray barry

Pretty close to what I'm guessing, although Barry Coughlan or Paidi Prendergast could see action at corner back. Colin Dunford was very impressive against a weak Offaly, but I don't know if he played against Tipp? It would be a fair step up in the physicality stakes. If Donie Breathnach got 1-3, then that's impressive enough against Tipp, even if they had 3 missing and should definitely be the beneficiary of the ill wind that is befalling our forwards. I have also heard that Shane Walsh is injured and won't be ready to face Cork. I'm making the big presumption above that Darragh Fives would be ready to face Cork, but maybe others know better? My guesses on it:

Sok
    S Fives L Lawlor N Connors
    J Nagle K Moran De Búrca
    Brick W Eddie Barrett
    Jake D Pauric M Darragh Fives
    Brian O' S Seamus P D Breathnach

The thinking on playing Brick midfield I'm guessing, is to do with Nash's puckouts. He would never put one down on top of Brick, as he would know the likelihood that it would be caught cleanly. I'm feeling a lot more confident now than I was a few weeks ago and I'm looking forward to heading up to Thurles for the first time since KK last year I think!!

• Advertisement

Sok
    Coghlan lawlor connors
    tadgh moran nagle
    Brick eddie Barrett
    Jake paudie ray barry

So is that the team that started or just your team?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement