Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Tipp were missin noel mcgrath bonner an Pauric maher not sure of score

Sok
    Coghlan lawlor connors
    tadgh moran nagle
    Brick eddie Barrett
    Jake paudie ray barry
    Brian sull- An other- breathnach

there's my team for Cork game I'm confident 1 - 9 is lining out like that
    Any reason Shane Fives won't start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

I would play S Fives win back instead of Mahony or corner back, he had a great league When in possession of the ball, but his positioning/ instincts are wrong for a full back and we leaked a few goals because of it. Lawlor protects the house more but is inclined to foul more, still it is better to yield the point.
    Shane fives defo in the starting 15 but he is not the answer to full back

• Registered Users Posts: 7 brianobarron

Nearly Championship Time Lads.

As we gear up to take on Cork in the first game of the Championship on Sunday 25th May, the Waterford Supporters need to finalise their own preparations in advance of the big game…..

Friends of Waterford Senior Hurlers and the Waterford Supporters Club Dublin are hosting a Social Night in Mulligans of Sandymount, Dublin 4 on Friday, 23rd May from 8.00pm. All Waterford Hurling fans welcome - there's no entrance fee or charge - it's just an opportunity for Waterford fans to meet and discuss the team and the Championship ahead over a drink or two.

We hope to see you all in Mulligans of Sandymount, Friday, 23rd May from 8.00pm for some craic and to start the build up to Championship 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

The thinking on playing Brick midfield I'm guessing, is to do with Nash's puckouts. He would never put one down on top of Brick, as he would know the likelihood that it would be caught cleanly. I'm feeling a lot more confident now than I was a few weeks ago and I'm looking forward to heading up to Thurles for the first time since KK last year I think!!

Nash will be launching high ball down on our full back line with his puck puts so I don't think Cork would have any trouble bypassing our midfield!
    Any injury concerns from that challenge the other night? Seems Colin Dunford and Donie Breathnach could see game time in a few weeks.
    Any other challenge games lined up between now and then?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

robopaddy wrote: »
    So is that the team that started or just your team?
    unreal he picks a team with 14 men ,jesus christ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Cake Man wrote: »
    Nash will be launching high ball down on our full back line with his puck puts so I don't think Cork would have any trouble bypassing our midfield!
    Any injury concerns from that challenge the other night? Seems Colin Dunford and Donie Breathnach could see game time in a few weeks.

By that logic, we should put everyone in the full back line so! He wont' keep sending long ball in if the Waterford backs are dominating in the air. If Nash starts to go short, I'm guessing that's where the Brick's experience would come in at midfield. However, you could see Brick going back to CB yet, you can be sure the management will play their cards close to their chests anyway, and proper order. Plenty to look forward to on Sunday week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deiseforall

Just wondering what is the story with the Waterford Intermediate team for Sunday week ? Has anyone got an idea as to what kind of a team the Intermediate Management propose to put out ? Any idea of the starting 15 ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Brick doesn't have the legs for Midfield anymore, I can't see why they would play him Midfield in the challenge games, so close to Championship

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

unreal he picks a team with 14 men ,jesus christ
    Count again. And that was just someone's team for the cork match anyway, not the team Derek McGrath picked against Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Count again. And that was just someone's team for the cork match anyway, not the team Derek McGrath picked against Tipp.
    an other is not a person ,if your going to pick a team ,pick 15 and name them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Cake Man wrote: »

Read and article from Derek McGrath today and he seemed up front enough about injuries. Daniels, O Neill and Philip Mahpny obviously out. Molumphy they just don't know apparently. Darragh Fives he said he isn't sure on. Jamie Barron almost definitely out. He reckons Jake Dillon will make it, though maybe not start and sounds like Maurice hasn't much hope either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Read and article from Derek McGrath today and he seemed up front enough about injuries. Daniels, O Neill and Philip Mahpny obviously out. Molumphy they just don't know apparently. Darragh Fives he said he isn't sure on. Jamie Barron almost definitely out. He reckons Jake Dillon will make it, though maybe not start and sounds like Maurice hasn't much hope either.

Seen that aswell. To be fair he wasnt making excuses out of it either which is good to see for a change. Hopefully a few young players can seize the opportunity to step up.

Seen that aswell. To be fair he wasnt making excuses out of it either which is good to see for a change. Hopefully a few young players can seize the opportunity to step up.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

of that list only molumphy and fives would be anything like a problematic loss

Yea who needs dillon and shanahan. Weve forwards coming out our h***s shur

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

LOL

Barron the form forward in the club championship, Mahony the form back in the league, and Daniels absence is clearly being felt. Stupid comment

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

I sent the list of the 13 or so lads potentially out for the cork game to a friend. Didn't make a difference in his opinion. I'd love to see a team that wouldn't be affected from missing 13 potential starters.

I don't know how you argue with an opinion like that.

blue note wrote: »
    I sent the list of the 13 or so lads potentially out for the cork game to a friend. Didn't make a difference in his opinion. I'd love to see a team that wouldn't be affected from missing 13 potential starters.

I don't know how you argue with an opinion like that.

Might put that theory to test, have a go at manipulating other teams squads in the same way and see what your left with. Would provide interesting reading Id say.

Who was your 13 by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Heard Big Dan on WLR and he ruled out Maurice, Molumphy, Jamie Barron and Daragh Fives for the Cork game. That's fair enough i'd say with the injuries they have would be too risky to play them and hope to have them ready the next day. Dan also mention Stephen Bennett as being unavailable and SOS (pending appeal) but I don't think anyone expected those two to play.

The positive news is Jake Dillon is going ok and that none of Ritchie Foley, Brian O Halloran, Shane Walsh and Ray Barry were named by the management team this week as being injured. So for those 5 its just a case of match fitness and form.

• Advertisement

3ships wrote: »
    Heard Big Dan on WLR and he ruled out Maurice, Molumphy, Jamie Barron and Daragh Fives for the Cork game. That's fair enough i'd say with the injuries they have would be too risky to play them and hope to have them ready the next day. Dan also mention Stephen Bennett as being unavailable and SOS (pending appeal) but I don't think anyone expected those two to play.

The positive news is Jake Dillon is going ok and that none of Ritchie Foley, Brian O Halloran, Shane Walsh and Ray Barry were named by the management team this week as being injured. So for those 5 its just a case of match fitness and form.

O Halloran getting game time would be a huge plus for Waterford, though hell lack match fitness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Anyone know how Stephen Daniels is recovering from his terrible injury? He was playing excellently during his time in the team, ultra reliable really solid but kinda went under the radar as regards pundits national etc but I think if he can come back he will be a very important player for us

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Slobbery wrote: »
    Anyone know how Stephen Daniels is recovering from his terrible injury? He was playing excellently during his time in the team, ultra reliable really solid but kinda went under the radar as regards pundits national etc but I think if he can come back he will be a very important player for us

He might figure in September for dls if there in the mix but realistically he's not back til next season terrible injury to get over but he's workin very hard in his rehab an recovery

Any news on the Shane Walsh injury? We definitely could do with him being fit aswell. Looks like Liam Lawlor will be fullback,what are peoples opinions on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

cul beag wrote: »
    Any news on the Shane Walsh injury? We definitely could do with him being fit aswell. Looks like Liam Lawlor will be fullback,what are peoples opinions on this?

I not sure how Shane Walsh is yet but personally I dont think he will start tbh.
    Lawlor is an out & out fullback. Fives is a man can play fullback that's my view on no.3 jersey

Lawlor has struggled with his knees I beleive with the last few years. He seems to have a wicked job to get fit in time for the championship every year but does a solid enough job when hes in. But at 29 hes not really the long term solution especially given his injury troubles.

Shane Walsh hasnt looked fit in 2 years. He looked like he had the winning of the game against cork for us in the ai quarter final in thurles before being taken off injured. He was out for a long while and hasnt been anywhere near as good since.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Lawlor has struggled with his knees I beleive with the last few years. He seems to have a wicked job to get fit in time for the championship every year but does a solid enough job when hes in. But at 29 hes not really the long term solution especially given his injury troubles.

Shane Walsh hasnt looked fit in 2 years. He looked like he had the winning of the game against cork for us in the ai quarter final in thurles before being taken off injured. He was out for a long while and hasnt been anywhere near as good since.
    I just fear that his lack of pace will cost us in that I can see JBM putting lehane in full forward and leaving space in front of him so to exploit this weakness. A sweeper system would nullify this but are we confident enough to play this type of game?

I just fear that his lack of pace will cost us in that I can see JBM putting lehane in full forward and leaving space in front of him so to exploit this weakness. A sweeper system would nullify this but are we confident enough to play this type of game?

Brick always sat deep, which cut the space for the full forward. Couldn't see Moran doing the same, though hed be faster than Brick and Lawlor.

I think if Lehane was on anybody and given space hed cause problems, but he has struggled at full forward when played there. So I reckon Horgan or O Farrell will be in there.

My biggest concern is exploiting the other end of the field. Cadogan could be out, against Tipp they had a very inexperienced full back line and duly let in 3. We have to try and make that Count.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Brick always sat deep, which cut the space for the full forward. Couldn't see Moran doing the same, though hed be faster than Brick and Lawlor.

I think if Lehane was on anybody and given space hed cause problems, but he has struggled at full forward when played there. So I reckon Horgan or O Farrell will be in there.

My biggest concern is exploiting the other end of the field. Cadogan could be out, against Tipp they had a very inexperienced full back line and duly let in 3. We have to try and make that Count.

Luke O'Farrell hasn't played hurling this year with a shoulder injury. Horgan will presumably be full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Lawlor will mind the house but I'd play fives there.. Liam will b happy to let His man score 3-4 points but not concede a goal . Can't b like that for inter county fives will fight dogishly for every ball and make it hard

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement