Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Giveitfong wrote: »
    I've heard that Waterford minor hurlers are playing Dublin in a challenge at St Vincents ground in Marino tonight sometime after 7. Seems like a long way to come for a midweek challenge, but I'm going to head on over there to check it out.

any update???
    KevIRL wrote: »
    204 for me row U. Probably the outer limit of the season ticket seats

In LAnzerote now until Sat evening so missing a lot of the build up

not missing much...mood between despair and desperation...and that's just here:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

any update???

not missing much...mood between despair and desperation...and that's just here:pac:
    Dublin won by a last minute goal according to twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

1. Stephen O Keeffe Ballygunner
    2. Tadgh Burke Clashmore / Kinsalebeg
    3. Liam Lawlor Fourmilewater
    4. Noel Connors Passage
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan
    6. Michael Walsh Stradbally Captain
    7. Barry Coughlan Ballygunner
    8. Kevin Moran De La Salle
    9. Eddie Barrett De La Salle
    10. Colin Dunford Colligan
    11. Pauric Mahony Ballygunner
    12. Austin Gleeson Mount Sion
    13. Brian O Sullivan Ballygunner
    14. Shane Walsh Fourmilewater
    15. Jake Dillon De La Salle.

Team named, as per Facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cbwfd

The Waterford Senior Hurling Team to play Cork on

Sunday afternoon next in the opening game of the

Munster Senior Hurling Championship has been

announced tonight.

4. Noel Connors Passage
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

• Advertisement

Good to see we're all on the same wave length :)

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Is Shane Fives injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Nearly Championship Time Lads.

As we gear up to take on Cork in the first game of the Championship on Sunday 25th May, the Waterford Supporters need to finalise their own preparations in advance of the big game…..

Friends of Waterford Senior Hurlers and the Waterford Supporters Club Dublin are hosting a Social Night in Mulligans of Sandymount, Dublin 4 on Friday, 23rd May from 8.00pm. All Waterford Hurling fans welcome - there's no entrance fee or charge - it's just an opportunity for Waterford fans to meet and discuss the team and the Championship ahead over a drink or two.

We hope to see you all in Mulligans of Sandymount, Friday, 23rd May from 8.00pm for some craic and to start the build up to Championship 2014.

Sounds good - Mulligans is a decent spot.

Is Shane Fives injured?

Dropped.

Team is much along the lines as we all thought. 5 Munster championship debutants, here's wishing them all the best of luck on Sunday. I suppose the likes of Shane Fives,Gavin O Brien,Ray Barry and Stephen Molumphy are in hard luck to miss out but going by the way the team was set up in the last few weeks there are no real surprises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Jarjohn

Big test for a good number of players. That is a worry as its not just 1 or 2. A win is possible but I'm not confident.
    Betting is 4/11 Cork, us 5/2 with 10/1 draw. +4 we are 5/6. If we do have a good start then H/t F/t Waterford 8/1 looks tasty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

cbwfd wrote: »

announced tonight.

4. Noel Connors Passage
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan

God that is a very poor team. Can't see how on earth Barry Coughlan merits starting ahead of Shane Fives. Half forward line will get blown out of it physically. How Ray Barry (one of our few forwards to perform well during the league) is not starting ahead of Brian O Sullivan is beyond me. Awful lot of players who saw nowt or very little game time during the league now starting. Not too optimistic about Sunday now. Our only chance is if we go back to 15 v 15 positionally wise and not the stupid tactics been used so far all year. Wont be holding my breath with this management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Brick and Moran to swap?
    Jake Dillon and Colin Dunford will definitely swap anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

God that is a very poor team. Can't see how on earth Barry Coughlan merits starting ahead of Shane Fives. Half forward line will get blown out of it physically. How Ray Barry (one of our few forwards to perform well during the league) is not starting ahead of Brian O Sullivan is beyond me. Awful lot of players who saw nowt or very little game time during the league now starting. Not too optimistic about Sunday now. Our only chance is if we go back to 15 v 15 positionally wise and not the stupid tactics been used so far all year. Wont be holding my breath with this management team.
    You are correct. Why am I not surprised at that selection? Not the best 15 in Waterford. We may pay a heavy price Sunday. Have grave doubts about this management team!!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Jarjohn wrote: »
    Big test for a good number of players. That is a worry as its not just 1 or 2. A win is possible but I'm not confident.
    Betting is 4/11 Cork, us 5/2 with 10/1 draw. +4 we are 5/6. If we do have a good start then H/t F/t Waterford 8/1 looks tasty
    Oh a win is possible all right!! However it is not probable looking at that selection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

announced tonight.

4. Noel Connors Passage
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan

Coughlan for fives makes no sense. I can only think that hes a personal favourite of mcgraths from his school days and theres a sense of blind loyalty there. Wouldnt have barrett in there either. Good club hurler but not at this level. Otherwise hard to argue. Brian o sullivan was always going to start aswell. Surely a case for starting seamus prender given the lack of strength and experience in the forwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

announced tonight.

4. Noel Connors Passage
    5. Jamie Nagle Dungarvan

Coughlan for fives makes no sense. I can only think that hes a personal favourite of mcgraths from his school days and theres a sense of blind loyalty there. Wouldnt have barrett in there either. Good club hurler but not at this level. Otherwise hard to argue. Brian o sullivan was always going to start aswell. Surely a case for starting seamus prender given the lack of strength and experience in the forwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

robopaddy wrote: »

I would have Seamus in there ahead of Shane Walsh. Nothing against SW but Prendergast played all through the league and did well enough. I know Seamus probably wouldn't last 70 mins anyway but SW could be a direct replacement.
    I'd prob have Shane Fives for Barry Coughlan also.
    Half forward line very lightweight, I fear we could be cleaned out here but Jake should swap with Dunford. Eddie Barrett won't be doing any scoring but will work hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Dublin 2-15 Waterford 0-18

A soft late goal gave Dublin a three-point victory in this minor hurling challenge played at the St Vincents grounds in Marino tonight. It was an enjoyable tussle between two good-quality and fairly evenly matched teams in a game played on a fine night (the second half under lights) and a good surface.

Waterford fielded only seven of the team which started against Clare in the Munster championship. A local observer reckoned Dublin were only short two or three of their best team. Jordan Henley replaced Billy Nolan in goal, while there was an entirely new full back line, with Jack Mullaney, Craig Brown and Michael Cronin coming in for David Prendergast, Eddie Hayden and Darragh Lyons.

Shane Murray retained his position at left half back, with Conor Prunty moving from right half back to the centre in place of Shane Bennett who lined out at left half forward. Edmond O’Halloran moved from midfield to right half back with his midfield place going to Andy Molumby who moved out from left corner forward. Eddie Meaney, who made such an impression when coming on as a sub against Clare, took the other centre field spot in place of Conor Gleeson.

Seán Hogan came in at wing forward instead of Joe Allen with John Kennedy replacing Cormac Curran at centre forward. Team captain Shane Ryan moved from wing forward to the left corner, Peter Hogan retained his place at right corner with Aaron O’Sullivan coming in at full forward in place of Patrick Curran. This meant that seven of the nine named subs in the Clare game started tonight, while the other two (Mark Shanahan and Tony O’Brien) came on in the second half.

Waterford only arrived at the ground a half hour before throw in, and this showed in the early exchanges as Dublin threatened to take complete control. Their half back line was dominant and they were able to send in good ball to their speedy full forwards who could have scored several goals in the first half, exploiting a lack of pace in the centre of the full back line, but some errant shooting and one marvellous save by Henley prevented this from happening. Dublin’s first touch was good and they used short handpassing to effect to get out of trouble and create space.

Waterford eventually got going around the middle of the field, with Andy Molumby particularly catching the eye. At one stage they laid siege to the Dublin goal, but a couple of good stops by their goalie and a bad miss by Shane Ryan meant that they too failed to hit the net. Eventually Dublin made the breakthrough in the 28th minute, again using their pace to surge through and hit an unstoppable ball to the net. This left the halftime score: Dublin 1-10 Waterford 0-10.

Waterford brought in Conor Gleeson at right half back, Cormac Curran at centre forward and Mark Shanahan at wing forward for the second half and made a great start with three points in a row which brought the teams level. Dublin then redoubled their efforts and we had a ding-dong struggle as both teams fought for supremacy. Dublin broke through the Waterford rearguard several times only for Henley to make a string of excellent saves.

With Eddie Meaney charging into the game and Molumby continuing to excel, Waterford repeatedly ran at the Dublin defence to create possible goal chances, but time after time the last pass went astray, a defender got a hurley in, or the goalie advanced to smother inrushing forwards. Cormac Curran, who had a big impact, landed two excellent points while both Molumby and Meaney landed peaches from out the field. Waterford brought in Seán Treacy, Colm Roche, Brian Cullinane and Tony O’Brien but the team continued to press. However, in the 25th minute, a Waterford defender failed to hold an incoming ball which fell very nicely for a Dublin forward who raced through for what proved to be the winning goal.

For Waterford, Jordan Henley produced a super performance in goal which will put pressure on Billy Nolan. It was a bit of a surprise to see Jack Mullaney, who scored six points for Stradbally in the intermediate championship last week and came on as a forward sub against Clare, lining out at corner back. I thought both he and Michael Cronin in the other corner did well enough given the quality of ball which was coming in from out the field and the problems caused by full back Craig Brown’s lack of pace against a strong and strong-running full forward.

I thought the Waterford half back line was less than convincing, and I would expect to see Colm Roche and Shane Bennett operating here against Clare. It was good to see Roche back on the team. He came in at full back, but was not on long enough to make an impression. Although he scored three points from play, and was unlucky with a late shot for goal which whizzed outside the post, Shane Bennett came nowhere near his usual standards at wing forward and was well handled by a very capable marker.

Andy Molumby was probably Waterford’s best outfield player right through, with some good assistance at midfield from Eddie Meaney in the second half. I think Edmond O’Halloran will struggle to keep his place on this performance. The placing of Conor Gleeson at wing back for the second half was unusual (although he did well) and I would expect to see him in the forwards for the Clare game.

The half forward line struggled to get possession (at least until Cormac Curran came on) against a strong Dublin half back line. The full forward line looked like they could do some damage with a good supply of ball, especially Peter Hogan in the right corner and Aaron O’Sullivan at full forward, who landed two good points. However, apart from a good early point, Shane Ryan again made little impact.

On the basis of this performance, I would expect the team against Clare to be along the following lines: Billy Nolan or Jordan Henley; David Prendergast, Eddie Hayden; Michael Cronin; Conor Prunty, Colm Roche, Shane Bennett; Eddie Meaney, Andy Molumby; Darragh Lyons, Cormac Curran, Conor Gleeson; Peter Hogan, Aaron O’Sullivan, Patrick Curran.

Team: Jordan Henley (Tallow); Jack Mullaney (Stradbally); Craig Brown (Erin’s Own); Michael Cronin (Ardmore); Edmond O’Halloran (Clashmore); Conor Prunty (Abbeyside); Shane Murray (Cappoquin); Eddie Meaney (De La Salle) (0-2); Andy Molumby (Cappoquin) (0-2); Seán Hogan (Passage); John Kennedy (Ballyduff Lower); Shane Bennet (Ballysaggart) (0-5, 2 frees); Peter Hogan (Ballygunner) (0-1); Aaron O’Sullivan (Cappoquin) (0-2); Shane Ryan (De La Salle) (0-4, 2 frees, 1 65). Subs: Conor Gleeson (Fourmilewater); Mark Shanahan (Erin’s Own); Cormac Curran (Brickey Rangers) (0-2); Seán Tracey (Passage); Colm Roche (Shamrocks); Brian Cullinane (De La Salle); Tony O’Brien (Roanmore).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

How is Patrick curran? Went off injured against tallow hope it wasn't serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

Cake Man wrote: »
    I would have Seamus in there ahead of Shane Walsh. Nothing against SW but Prendergast played all through the league and did well enough. I know Seamus probably wouldn't last 70 mins anyway but SW could be a direct replacement.
    Half forward line very lightweight, I fear we could be cleaned out here but Jake should swap with Dunford. Eddie Barrett won't be doing any scoring but will work hard.

Happy with Shane Walsh tbh, much more versatile than Seamus these days who is still good to have on the bench though, would agree reference Fives, but that said with what I've seen of Coughlan I couldn't say he did much. and in fairness I believe Barret deserves his inclusion especially considering the injury list

its a young forward six with plenty of speed and hurling, if they can make the step ( big if ok) up in intensity and leadership then they could cause problems for cork, guess we have to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Is Ray Barry injured? Also in the surprised Shane Fives not getting a start.

Special best of luck wishes to the 5 championship debutants on Sunday. What a day for them

Cake Man wrote: »

Seamus is just too slow. Only game he made an impact on was the Galway game. When Walsh came back he was good against Dublin and has had 2 months playing under his belt since. Both haven't much left, but I think Walsh has a bit more than Seamus.

KevIRL wrote: »
    Is Ray Barry injured? Also in the surprised Shane Fives not getting a start.

Special best of luck wishes to the 5 championship debutants on Sunday. What a day for them
    Both fit but not selected. Considering the injuries Barry must be way down the pecking order for selection in the forwards. I would imagine if Jamie Barron was fit he would have made the team aswell so at best it looks like he is only going to be an impact sub which,considering his performances in the league seems a bit surprising. As for Shane Fives I believe he's hard done by also. 13 goals conceded in the league and he's the only one to lose out? Of all the debutants I think Colin Dunford could find it tough going. Hope I'm 100% wrong but not having played any competitive game at this level for us might prove a step too far. But as I said il be the first to hold my hands up on Sunday if I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

If the team lines out as named then McGrath hasn't a clue. I fear we are in for a pasting

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

deisedude wrote: »
    If the team lines out as named then McGrath hasn't a clue. I fear we are in for a pasting

I hope you're wrong, but I must admit I don't think our strongest available 15 will start. If Shane Walsh is fit, then fair enough. Shane Fives looked to be going well at wing back, but the manager knows who's on form at the moment, I guess. Seamus will get on the pitch at some stage for sure, especially if Shane picks up a knock.

One thing I am confident of, is that the management team have got Waterford hurling at heart, completely and utterly. It has been a tough 1st year from them and it hasn't got any easier. We'll have to just cut them some slack and understand that they're doing their best in light of the difficulties they've faced - injuries etc.

That's my final word on it before Sunday (hopefully). Best of luck to the intermediates also, I will make sure to be there in time to see the full match and to cheer on.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

I hope you're wrong, but I must admit I don't think our strongest available 15 will start. If Shane Walsh is fit, then fair enough. Shane Fives looked to be going well at wing back, but the manager knows who's on form at the moment, I guess. Seamus will get on the pitch at some stage for sure, especially if Shane picks up a knock.

One thing I am confident of, is that the management team have got Waterford hurling at heart, completely and utterly. It has been a tough 1st year from them and it hasn't got any easier. We'll have to just cut them some slack and understand that they're doing their best in light of the difficulties they've faced - injuries etc.

That's my final word on it before Sunday (hopefully). Best of luck to the intermediates also, I will make sure to be there in time to see the full match and to cheer on.
    I'd agree with that. Managers always have their favourites and they also see what goes on in training first hand, unlike ourselves. That said I am surprised Ryan Donnelly isn't figuring at all.
    I am also expecting a pasting but then I grew up in the 70s and 80s when we always got a pasting, so I'm conditioned to expect that. I really hope though that we put up a good show. We have so many players to come back that if we get a bit of momentum going we could get a great run in the qualifiers.

I'd agree with that. Managers always have their favourites and they also see what goes on in training first hand, unlike ourselves. That said I am surprised Ryan Donnelly isn't figuring at all.
    I am also expecting a pasting but then I grew up in the 70s and 80s when we always got a pasting, so I'm conditioned to expect that. I really hope though that we put up a good show. We have so many players to come back that if we get a bit of momentum going we could get a great run in the qualifiers.

I do believe that in McGrath we have a young manager with potential, but we're having serious issues with favourites here I fear.

Coughlan, O'Sullivan and I would even include Jake Dillon have question marks over there selection. Coughlan has been drafted back in despite not featuring much after the Tipp league game. There's a continued allegiance to O'Sullivan that was expected, but not warranted. And the reason I include Jake Dillon is because we have fitness concerns about him, hed not had the game time and I would think him being an impact sub would surely have been the move.

This is at the expense of Fives and Barry, two of the most consistent performers in the league. My own opinion is that Fives should be wing back. I would worry that Tadhg de Burca will be wing back. He has a lot of promise lads, but hes only in his second year u21. Imagine him marking Cronin! If the plan is for him to mark Lehane than I guess that would make sense, however. Just plain worried about Nagle, but we've left ourselves in a position where he must start.

The reason I didn't mention Barrett is because of injuries, but even at that you'd wonder what Paudie Prender did wrong.

I tend to be on the optimistic side of things, but hard to see us winning his. That said, I firmly believe with a full team we would beat them. Heres hoping they can pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

I agree with assessments it's not our strongest team with those available. I'd have S Fives, P Prendergast and D Breatnach ahead of Coughlan, Barrett and Gleeson but as the former 3 lads are former pupils of the manager they appear to have the advantage. Hope they can get it together and play well but I'm not feeling confident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Deise_abu

First game against Dublin Seamus gave Peter Kelly a roasting in fairness, with a bit of pace he would have had 3 goals (I know, I know he was never lightning over 20 yards)

I think it is the right move to start Shane because as legs tire Seamus offers a completely different option that the Cork backs are suspect under, lets hope it is not too late when he gets introduced

I am surprised Shane Fives has been left out, I hope he is not fit as I would say it is very unfair to the lad if he has been dropped. I have great time for Nagle, he a great stickman but I the blueprint for exposing him is known to everyone at this stage, diagonal balls in behind him has exposed this lack of pace, I would be amazed if Lehane doesn't start left half forward. I would not be at all surprised to see Shane fives introduced if it plays out this way.

I agree with some posters regarding it being a year to early for Aussie, for a young lad I hope he does well

Brian O'Sullivan is a mystery to me but hopefully whatever Derek sees in him will be displayed on Sunday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement