Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Are we expecting this team to line out as selected...!?

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

hardybuck wrote: »
    Are we expecting this team to line out as selected...!?

I'm not.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Any news on Ritchie Foley? Hows his fitness does anyone know? Could do with his experience around the middle of the field if he's available.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Coughlan might be Corner and Burke Wing back, Gleeson will play in front of the half back line, Dillon out to replace Gleeson in the half line and Dunford in with Walsh in the full line.

I would expect to see Fives in early in the proceedings for Coughlan, Ray Barry did well as an impact sub in the league and that may be his role here, I had a sneaky feeling we could do it during the week but now looking at the team I don't think it will be our day, the one positive is so many up and coming hurlers will get a taste of championship action under their belts and it will stand to us in the future.

Fives, O'Halloran, Mahony, Shanahan, Daniels, Molumpy, Foley, O'sullivan suspended if we had half of them it would be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

deisedude wrote: »
    If the team lines out as named then McGrath hasn't a clue. I fear we are in for a pasting
    Im still holding out that it is the intermediate team that was named and not the senior

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Killian Fitz, Mark Wyse, Jason Roche, Pa Walsh and Tommy Connor
    Barry O' Sullivan, Stephen Power
    Stephen Roche, Shane Forristal, Colm Burke
    Cormac Heffernan, Mark O'Brien
    Adam Farrell, Micheal Harney, Tom Devine, DJ Foran
    Kieran Power, Gavin Crotty, Ryan Donnelly, Seamus Keating, Thomas Ryan
    Seanie Barry, Conor Murray, Jack Lyons, Shane Roche

Strong Intermediate panel

Seanie Barry
    Jason Roche, Mark Wyse, Shane Roche
    Micheal Harney, Kieran Power, Mark O'Brien
    Killian Fitz, Tom Devine
    Tommy Connors, Gavin Crotty, DJ Foran
    Ryan Donnelly, Cormac Heffernan, Thomas Ryan

Not a bad team if it lined out something like this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Seanie Barry
    Jason Roche, Mark Wyse, Shane Roche
    Micheal Harney, Kieran Power, Mark O'Brien
    Killian Fitz, Tom Devine
    Tommy Connors, Gavin Crotty, DJ Foran
    Ryan Donnelly, Cormac Heffernan, Thomas Ryan

Not a bad team if it lined out something like this!

Why was Donnelly dropped from seniors? Plenty more deserving of being dropped than him.

Corks panel is quite strong. A good few have senior experience. 6 of the panel i know offhand (could be more) have played with Cork seniors at Waterford Crystal, League or championship level

1. Richie Cunningham (Youghal)
    2. Brian O’Sullivan (Fermoy)
    3. Alan Dennehy (Charleville)
    4. John O'Callaghan (Inniscarra - Captain)
    5. Cormac Murphy (Mallow)
    6. Ross Cashman (Kilbrittain)
    7. Michael Walsh (Kildorrery)
    8. Nicky Kelly (Mayfield)
    9. John Cronin (Lisgoold)
    10. Barry Lawton (Castlemartyr)
    11. Peter O’Brian (Kildorrery)
    12. Michael O’Sullivan (Tracton)
    13. Colm Casey (Inniscarra)
    14. Jamie Wall (Kilbrittain)
    15. Mark Kenefick (Ballygarvan)

Subs
    16. James Mc Sweeney (Bandon)
    17. Barra Ó Tuama (Castlemartyr)
    18. John Grace (Youghal)
    19. Tadhg Healy (Buttevant)
    20. Colm Barry (Castlelyons)
    21. Colm Spillane (Castlelyons)
    22. Ronan Crowley (Bandon)
    23. David Drake (Carrigaline)
    24. John Sheehan (Argideen Rangers)

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭doublejj

if he drops back a forward as sweeper i give up,go out and hurl 15 to 15 that tactic hardly worked in league...unfortunately bricks time at centre back is not working,i would switch him to midfield moran back centre other then that i think we will run them close if we go at them...

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Killian Fitz, Mark Wyse, Jason Roche, Pa Walsh and Tommy Connor
    Barry O' Sullivan, Stephen Power
    Stephen Roche, Shane Forristal, Colm Burke
    Cormac Heffernan, Mark O'Brien
    Adam Farrell, Micheal Harney, Tom Devine, DJ Foran
    Kieran Power, Gavin Crotty, Ryan Donnelly, Seamus Keating, Thomas Ryan
    Seanie Barry, Conor Murray, Jack Lyons, Shane Roche

Strong Intermediate panel

There is a couple of players there who I thought would definately make the bench for Senior team. By elimination the bench for Sunday maybe

Iggy
    P Prendergast
    S Fives
    S McNulty
    R Foley
    S Prendergast
    R Barry
    B O Halloran ?
    D Breathnach
    G O Brien
    Maurice ??????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

3ships wrote: »
    There is a couple of players there who I thought would definately make the bench for Senior team. By elimination the bench for Sunday maybe

Iggy
    P Prendergast
    S Fives
    S McNulty
    R Foley
    S Prendergast
    R Barry
    B O Halloran ?
    D Breathnach
    G O Brien
    Maurice ??????

Christ, the bench would nearly look stronger than the starting 15. I do think that if everyone was fit, you would at least have Darragh Fives, O'Halloran, Molumphy, Shane O'Sullivan, Philip Mahony, Daniels and one of Maurice and Jamie Barron starting. That's half a team and probably two or three of your 5 subs adding in Foley (not fully fit).

Don't remember the injury situation ever being as bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Any idea what type of crowd expected sunday? Cork to be fair always have big support and usually pretty much fill the town end so im guessing both terraces will open?

Any idea what type of crowd expected sunday? Cork to be fair always have big support and usually pretty much fill the town end so im guessing both terraces will open?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

robopaddy wrote: »

Couldn't imagine there will be more than 15-20k there. Can't see too many of our supporters travelling to be honest. The general consensus around is that if we can put up a good performance especially with the team picked and the amount of injuries aswell, we'll have done ok.

cul beag wrote: »
    Couldn't imagine there will be more than 15-20k there. Can't see too many of our supporters travelling to be honest. The general consensus around is that if we can put up a good performance especially with the teamed picked and the amount of injuries aswell, we'll have done ok.

Yea. Contemplating going myself. The bank balance is tellin me not to but the thoughts of puttin it up to the rebels on a summer sunday in thurles shur where else would you rather be!

Hang-sangidges at ready methinks....

Yea. Contemplating going myself. The bank balance is tellin me not to vut the thoughts of puttin it up to the rebels on a summer sunday in thurles shur where else would you rather be!
    Hang-sangidges at ready....
    You have criticised my comments all year and know I see your "contemplating" going. I didn't miss a match in years. I thought anybody who took part in this forum were real supporters. if you cant go to the games fair enough but I wont respect your opinion in the future. Its not an option not to travel here. its just something automatically happens. #fiasco

babs123 wrote: »
    You have criticised my comments all year and know I see your "contemplating" going. I didn't miss a match in years. I thought anybody who took part in this forum were real supporters. if you cant go to the games fair enough but I wont respect your opinion in the future. Its not an option not to travel here. its just something automatically happens. #fiasco

Prawn sambos in semple dont tend to be the best. More of a croker man meself #manforthebigoccasion

Ah but prawn sambos in semple dont tend to be the best. More of a croker man meself. What can I say..... #manforthebigoccasion
    You commented on a match in croker before and you didn't even have the right end at which the play happened!!! big occasion alright. #hurler on the ditch more like.

babs123 wrote: »
    You commented on a match in croker before and you didn't even have the right end at which the play happened!!! big occasion alright. #hurler on the ditch more like.

Ah remember that alrite was probably half dizzy after too much turkey&ham and red wine up in the corporate box. I'll have a doggy bag sent down to you next time lad

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gut8Dibzd1w&list=PL6558A91C79FEE0C5

What do people think of this "Nash style" penalty/21m free? Good video above where the dangers are outlined, I think a rule has to be implemented to prevent the penalty/free taker from lifting it so far and striking when they're practically on top of the three on the goal line.

Why do I get the feeling Cork will get at least a penalty and 21m free on Sunday, with Nash to step up and do the necessary!?

• Advertisement

Cake Man wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gut8Dibzd1w&list=PL6558A91C79FEE0C5

What do people think of this "Nash style" penalty/21m free? Good video above where the dangers are outlined, I think a rule has to be implemented to prevent the penalty/free taker from lifting it so far and striking when they're practically on top of the three on the goal line.

Why do I get the feeling Cork will get at least a penalty and 21m free on Sunday, with Nash to step up and do the necessary!?

Someone is going to lose a testicle or die if they dont change the rule. Its ludicrous. The ball should be struck no further than the 21 metre line. If the free takers wants to take it from 30 metres out and fire it forward I think thats fine aslong as connection with the ball doesn't take place ahead of the 21 metre line

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

What does everyone think of the Intermediate Team.. Personally i think its bang average and a wasted opportunity to look at guys who have potential to make the step up to Senior.. Half the team either aren't good enough or have been seen before to no affect..

Brad1234 wrote: »
    What does everyone think of the Intermediate Team.. Personally i think its bang average and a wasted opportunity to look at guys who have potential to make the step up to Senior.. Half the team either aren't good enough or have been seen before to no affect..

I think its the right approach giving young fellas a chance. A lot of that team are U21 with a few more seasoned heads thrown in. Sure you could be more competitive playing a lot of more seasoned club hurlers but they are unlikely to make the step up if they are past their mid twenties and haven't got a look in before

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Ah remember that alrite was probably half dizzy after too much turkey&ham and red wine up in the corporate box. I'll have a doggy bag sent down to you next time lad

Some fall from grace Robopaddy corporate box in Croker & now the bank balance is denying you a terrace ticket. I'll meet you by the players entrance il even buy ya programme lad and a burger that us peasants would eat lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The competition probably needs a rebranding. I mean - what does the intermediate championship really mean to people?

It could potentially be turned into a Development Championship, where teams got a few round robin games before semis, final etc. Might give the competition a few more games and a give more opportunities to the players, but could crowd the club competitions I suppose.

I think it's not a bad team. It's just about attitude. If you ask any defender in Waterford who are the toughest forwards to mark, you'll hear Gavin Crotty and Thomas Ryan. These lads are class on their day, it's just they don't have the commitment for Senior Inter county. It will be a good experience for the u21s Barry, Roche, Harney, Power, O'Brien, Devine, Foran, Donnelly

Some fall from grace Robopaddy corporate box in Croker & now the bank balance is denying you a terrace ticket. I'll meet you by the players entrance il even buy ya programme lad and a burger that us peasants would eat lol

Yea I shouldve tied a knot on it lad. A babog' and another one due in july put a stop to my tracks. Big days out boozin in the square in thurles are long gone lol

• Registered Users Posts: 5,259 ✭✭✭slingerz

for those complaining of the dangers of the 'Nash' free, do those dangers not exist when a forward strikes the sliothar for goal from even closer.

Or has Nash some sort of superhuman strength?

hardybuck wrote: »
    The competition probably needs a rebranding. I mean - what does the intermediate championship really mean to people?

It could potentially be turned into a Development Championship, where teams got a few round robin games before semis, final etc. Might give the competition a few more games and a give more opportunities to the players, but could crowd the club competitions I suppose.

Agreed. Its kind of hard to know whats the best way to approach it. I think its a good call to go with youth. a lot of the u21 lads are together for a lot of the year with only one championship game to look forward to in july so its good for the lads involved in this game to have this to focus on aswell. Of course you need more experienced lads aswell to stop you from getting slaughtered but the nature of the way the competition is structured, its not really worth going all out to win and better off just use it to blood some younglads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

slingerz wrote: »
    for those complaining of the dangers of the 'Nash' free, do those dangers not exist when a forward strikes the sliothar for goal from even closer.

Or has Nash some sort of superhuman strength?

According to the KK lads its only Nash. When a player from play lets rip close in there is no health and safety issue at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement