Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

slingerz wrote: »
    for those complaining of the dangers of the 'Nash' free, do those dangers not exist when a forward strikes the sliothar for goal from even closer.

Or has Nash some sort of superhuman strength?

Well if you want to talk about Nash in particular, yes he has one of the most powerful strikes in the game I think.

I would suggest that when a forward is striking he's more likely to be under pressure, not using a huge goalkeeper hurl, and generally won't get as much power into the strike. For a penalty there is also two more men standing on the line, increasing the risk of someone getting hurt.

I would suggest that they didn't come up with the 21m distance for the craic. Where we can take steps to protect player's safety, I suggest we do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

For the record the Intermediate team:

WATERFORD
    1. Seanie Barry – Lismore
    2. Colm Burke – Roanmore
    3. Mark Wyse – Passage
    4. Shane Roche – Shamrocks
    5. Jason Roche – Passage
    6. Kieran Power – Clonea
    7. Seamus Keating - Ardmore
    8. Pa Walsh - Passage
    9. Stephen Roche – Mount Sion
    10. Killian Fitzgerald – Passage (Captain)
    11. Gavin Crotty – Dungarvan
    12. Micheal Harney – Bonmahon
    13. Tommy Connors - Passage
    14. Ryan Donnelly – Dungarvan
    15. Thomas Ryan – Tallow

Was expecting a few more U-21 players to start. Think Clare use this competition to good effect in 2012 to bring on their U-21 squad. Although Clare prob had no choice as they won the thing in 2011 and couldn't use those players again. Best of luck to the lads anyway will head up early for a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

"Between retirements and injury they face Cork in the cauldron of Munster hurling on Sunday with four debutants, stripped of so many of their famous veterans that Derek McGrath might as well be managing a boyband."

Top class journalism...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/dan-shanahan-i-do-have-to-control-myself-ive-been-warned-30294789.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

"Between retirements and injury they face Cork in the cauldron of Munster hurling on Sunday with four debutants, stripped of so many of their famous veterans that Derek McGrath might as well be managing a boyband."

Top class journalism...

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/dan-shanahan-i-do-have-to-control-myself-ive-been-warned-30294789.html

It's a funny line and if Clare can win with stephen 1d o'donnell i wouldnt be worried

It's a funny line and if Clare can win with stephen 1d o'donnell i wouldnt be worried

I am very worried though, regardless of this article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Top class journalism...

Derek McGrath and selectors failed to select the best 15 in the county. Every other county has to do without the veterans at some stage. The sad fact is that very few Waterford supporters intend to travel. Many are very unhappy with the team selection.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

The Cork Senior Hurling team to play Waterford on Sunday at 4pm in Thurles will line out as follows:

1. Anthony Nash (Kanturk)
    2. Shane O’Neill (Bishopstown)
    3. Damien Cahalane (St. Finbarr’s)
    4. Stephen McDonnell (Glen Rovers)
    5. Christopher Joyce (Na Piarsaigh)
    6. Mark Ellis (Millstreet)
    7. Lorcan McLoughlin (Kanturk)
    8. Daniel Kearney (Sarsfields)
    9. Aidan Walsh (Kanturk)
    10. Conor Lehane (Midleton)
    11. Cian McCarthy (Sarsfields)
    12. Patrick Cronin (Bishopstown - Captain)
    13. Alan Cadogan (Douglas)
    14. Seamus Harnedy (St. Ita’s)
    15. Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)

Subs
    16. Darren McCarthy (Ballymartle)
    17. Conor O’Sullivan (Sarsfields)
    18. Killian Burke (Midleton)
    19. Willian Egan (Kilbrin)
    20. Rob O’Shea (Carrigaline)
    21. Brian Lawton (Castlemartyr)
    22. Bill Cooper (Youghal)
    23. Jamie Coughlan (Newtownshandrum)
    24. Paudie O’Sullivan (Cloyne)
    25. Stephen Moylan (Douglas)
    26. Brian Hartnett (Midleton)

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

I must say I'm very worried about this game. The Cork team has been named and it is very strong, and another thing, its balanced. I won't go naming names on this because its unfair on the younger lads but in my book there are at least 5 players starting who I think will be completely out of their depth Sunday and should not be starting, either not good enough or not ready yet.

Next thing is the formation. You can be sure they won't line up that way, over on the cork thread they expect a sweeper with a 2 man full forward line which is what I expect too. I dont like it and I think Cork will be cute enough to navigate it. Again then you have the problem of where the scores are going to come from.

However, the reason we all love sport is because of its unpredictability. I sure as hell hope we get some Sunday!

Cahalane a novice full back, Ellis a novice inter county hurler. Joyce was terrible at centre back last year, we will see if that was just not his position or whether he's actually cut out for this level this year.

Aidan Walsh is dividing his team, and while undoubtedly a big asset on best form will have questions in that regard. Cian McCarthy would also have question marks over him. The rest of their forward line looks awesome, but at the same time it's not a team that would inspire fear in me were we fully manned and able.

Don't agree with those talking up there bench, Paudi O Sullivan is only just back and I strongly doubt he'll settle straight away. Moylan is no more than an inter county bench player, and Coughlan is extremely light. The rest are at best unproven.

I don't doubt they'll win, but I'm actually a bit surprised thought they'd be stronger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

culbaire wrote: »
    Derek McGrath and selectors failed to select the best 15 in the county. Every other county has to do without the veterans at some stage. The sad fact is that very few Waterford supporters intend to travel. Many are very unhappy with the team selection.

I think there are 2 or 3 questionable selections. But in fairness nothing massively outrageous either I wouldnt think it should deter too many supporters. The bigger issue for supporters I think will be the poor performances in the league coupled with all the absentees through injury and suspension.
    And then youll have a certain group aswell who wouldnt be happy with the treatment of skully ryan last year either and who are not too interested on following this group after all that went on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Cahalane a novice full back, Ellis a novice inter county hurler. Joyce was terrible at centre back last year, we will see if that was just not his position or whether he's actually cut out for this level this year.

Aidan Walsh is dividing his team, and while undoubtedly a big asset on best form will have questions in that regard. Cian McCarthy would also have question marks over him. The rest of their forward line looks awesome, but at the same time it's not a team that would inspire fear in me were we fully manned and able.

Don't agree with those talking up there bench, Paudi O Sullivan is only just back and I strongly doubt he'll settle straight away. Moylan is no more than an inter county bench player, and Coughlan is extremely light. The rest are at best unproven.

I don't doubt they'll win, but I'm actually a bit surprised thought they'd be stronger.

Im suprised conor o sullivan isnt starting I thought he was near an allstar at corner back last year and starting a rookie in the fb line instead. Maybe all is not lost yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Team smells of over confidence to be honest.. But JBM knows more than us I guess

Cahalane good full back but lacks hurling a real man marker. If walsh is fit I think his movement a cuteness is perfect match up. There backs aren't great but I don't know do we have enough to exploit them. There forwards though very impressive. If harnedy is full forward (prob won't) it will be long afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭skaface

Not many people giving us much of a chance on Sunday.. Especially within our
    own county.. Hopefully the team will prove them wrong ( we always perform well when written off).
    Lots of question marks regarding some of
    the starting 15. The management will know who is going well and who's not
    in training and must be given a chance.
    Best of luck to the management and team
    on Sunday.. Deise Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

After pages of sheer cowardice finally someone actually looks behind the red jersey and sees the players in the jerseys.
    Cahalane ellis kearney walsh mccarthy harnedy named on paper to mark walsh mahony walsh barrett moran lawlor.
    Wtf is there to be afraid of.
    the cork half back line that got walked on last year and the two changes are solid run of the mill players. Are they suddenly going to be transformed by some jbm fairy dust.
    Cork have some excellent players up front but they have serious issues at the back .
    I would fancy cork to win it due to the fire power they have but being worried about the game is mad and feeling that ye cannot win is laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

robopaddy wrote: »
    Im suprised conor o sullivan isnt starting I thought he was near an allstar at corner back last year and starting a rookie in the fb line instead. Maybe all is not lost yet!
    What pub are you going watching the game in? Hurler on d ditch or should that be stool

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

If what you say is true then these cannot be described as ''supporters'', not travelling because you don't agree with teh 15 named, come on , if a 12 year old came out with that they would be laughed at.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

If what you say is true then these cannot be described as ''supporters'', not travelling because you don't agree with teh 15 named, come on , if a 12 year old came out with that they would be laughed at.
    You can laugh all you like at it. Thats how a lot of supporters feel. And they are correct.
    This team is not the best 15 available. Some players have been unfairly scapegoated. Others who should have been dropped were not. What is really annoying supporters is that this is a Cork team which could be taken. It is not a patch on the great Cork teams of old. By the way you are forgetting the cost to families.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Deiseforall

Good luck from all in the County to both the Senior and Intermediate teams on Sunday - WE are all behind ye. What a pity there are a few of last year's Minors STILL in Leaving Cert. Intermediate team would have at least 6 more available to them from u21 guys ! ALL of last years MINOR full back team doing der leaving cert and unavailable to Peter Queally. Hopefully we get over the first round and these guys will be available for the SEMI final in 2014 to strengthen d team - for a change !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

You can laugh all you like at it. Thats how a lot of supporters feel. And they are correct.
    This team is not the best 15 available. Some players have been unfairly scapegoated. Others who should have been dropped were not. What is really annoying supporters is that this is a Cork team which could be taken. It is not a patch on the great Cork teams of old. By the way you are forgetting the cost to families.

Surely the bolded piece of text would still be the case if Waterford were lining out with 15 all stars on Sunday and as such is irrelevant.

• Advertisement

Rubbish! A genuine supporter supports the team through thick and thin, not when everything is rosy in the garden and you agree 100% with the team selection.

Does Fives, Prendergast and Barry usually pay for families to attend when they are playing, or is that another patethic excuse??

Actually Culbaire I just had a read of your previous contributions to this forum and all is clear now! Kind of patethic really to see such blatant club bias ruining a county, ironically you are now doing exactly what you berated others, amonst them John Mullane, for doing to Michael Ryan last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭babs123

Actually Culbaire I just had a read of your previous contributions to this forum and all is clear now! Kind of patethic really to see such blatant club bias ruining a county, ironically you are now doing exactly what you berated others, amonst them John Mullane, for doing to Michael Ryan last year.
    They are all looking after there own clubs. That's whats wrong with Waterford. There was a great sprinkle of clubs on last years minor team. This year there is not one from mid county. A "john" doesn't count cos they could be from any club. We will see how they go on Sunday but its a building process. You will have the begrudgers whoever has the job. They are the people who will prob not even go to the game . Don't rise to them

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

In fairness he is saying what alot of us are thinking and there is blatent favouritism for players Derek knew before he got the job. There are 4 better players sitting on the bench on Sunday than what's starting and for some followers of the county team, whether you call them 'true supports' or not there is less incentive for them to get in a car and make the journey to thurles when this is going on. The last manager didn't have that conflict of interest in manging harty school teams and he always put the best 15 available out so it's a valid point that he raises.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

I wouldn't miss the game anyway but I do agree McGrath has a bias for picking players he has worked with before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Are they selling tickets in Super Valu shops?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

if people don't travel because they don't agree with the team than they should stay away, its not like every single selection was agreed upon 100% by the supporters down the years :cool:

At this moment Waterford should be happy to be playing Cork more than any other county in Munster. If ever is a case of a team in the long grass this is it, we have had some bad luck this year but Cork are papering over some serious cracks themselves.

Sunday will be a close game, we still have alot of quality. Shane Walsh is a huge addition to the forward line, Pauraic Mahony has finally began to produce ultra reliable free-taking this year, something he should have been doing for years. In all honesty the forward line needed shaking up anyway I know it is more by accident more than design but we are not missing a marquee forward with injuries or anything, I think we could have a real crack at them.

If Patrick Horgan starts Corner well Noelie Connors has always done a great job on him and won an all-star in 2010 on the back of it.

things might have gone tits up in the league but for part of that campaign we showed ourselves to be a very hard working team and with the exception of the kilkenny second half showed great fighting spirit in those games.

If nothing else Sunday will be the first steps to players like Austin Gleeson taking up the mantle on driving Waterford on for the next few years.

Some of these new lads may not have senior championship experience, but unlike many other young players coming on the team in previous years they have big game experience from playing in big games with successful college and underage teams.

The very best of luck to the debutantes on Sunday - hopefully they hurl out of their skins and whatever happens they put in a performance to make us proud in Thurles on Sunday. Up the Deise!

In fairness he is saying what alot of us are thinking and there is blatent favouritism for players Derek knew before he got the job. There are 4 better players sitting on the bench on Sunday than what's starting and for some followers of the county team, whether you call them 'true supports' or not there is less incentive for them to get in a car and make the journey to thurles when this is going on. The last manager didn't have that conflict of interest in manging harty school teams and he always put the best 15 available out so it's a valid point that he raises.

I understand the problem and fully accept Waterford have certain issues at the moment, but my point being that anyone who takes the action of choosing to not travel to a game as a result of the 15 picked does not resonate with my definition of a supporter, as someone who sat through the Fr. Tom, Babs 2nd era and Ken Hogan reigns of terror I never once even contemplated such a course of action - I maybe being harsh but what is being described is petulant and childish to me and doesn't help anyone, when a team/county is struggling or going through a transition that is when the supporters are needed more than ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭paddy13

I understand the problem and fully accept Waterford have certain issues at the moment, but my point being that anyone who takes the action of choosing to not travel to a game as a result of the 15 picked does not resonate with my definition of a supporter, as someone who sat through the Fr. Tom, Babs 2nd era and Ken Hogan reigns of terror I never once even contemplated such a course of action - I maybe being harsh but what is being described is petulant and childish to me and doesn't help anyone, when a team/county is struggling or going through a transition that is when the supporters are needed more than ever.

Very well said I agree with you completely. If your a true supporter it's for life not just the good times!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Meh, it's a couple of keyboard warriors looking for (and getting) attention. Ignore and move along.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement