Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

nothing beats being in Thurles on Munster championship day. Its one of the highlights of summer

This could be our only trip to Thurles this summer as i think the qualifers are home/away basis

I have my ticket anyway and looking forward to the match. The days of the buses and piss up in the square are gone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

I'm expecting a very poor crowd. Cork will outnumber us but they rarely bring a big crowd when they are convinced they are going to win

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

deisedude wrote: »
    I'm expecting a very poor crowd. Cork will outnumber us but they rarely bring a big crowd when they are convinced they are going to win

Judging by the good quality tickets that are still available I would say it will be very littler over 15K on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

The last few years opening rounds have been v small crowds v Clare twice and limerick. Will be a few more this year on account of corks size but still a long way from the crowds in the early 2000's.

Really think the Munster council should be encouraging more home/away games and keep the Munster final at semple each year. I love the day out in Thurles as much as the next man but the crowds are speaking for themselves.

If this means Waterford play their 'home' games in Nowlan Park as our current 2 grounds are woefully inadequate then so be it

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Waterford will be lucky to get 2000-2500 at the match

One Direction are also playing Croke Park this weekend so many familys could be going to that and also count Communions and confirmations and all that.

• Advertisement

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Waterford will be lucky to get 2000-2500 at the match

One Direction are also playing Croke Park this weekend so many familys could be going to that and also count Communions and confirmations and all that.

Ah you are way underestimating the Waterford support PTH, not surprising given your pessimistic outlook. Minimum 5k from Waterford but probably closer to 7 or 8

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Rubbish! A genuine supporter supports the team through thick and thin, not when everything is rosy in the garden and you agree 100% with the team selection.

Does Fives, Prendergast and Barry usually pay for families to attend when they are playing, or is that another patethic excuse??
    What the hell are you on about? Would you care to elaborate? I have no connection with any of the three players named above. Supporters don't like to be taken for fools. Just remember that. I have NEVER got a free pass to any GAA match. I note your location. You are clearly out of touch with the feelings of the majority of Waterford supporters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Judging by the good quality tickets that are still available I would say it will be very littler over 15K on Sunday.

Would those be tickets on Ticketmaster? Was gonna wait until the day but might see what's available now if what you say is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Would those be tickets on Ticketmaster? Was gonna wait until the day but might see what's available now if what you say is true.

Try www.tickets.ie instead as they don't apply handling charges

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Rubbish! A genuine supporter supports the team through thick and thin, not when everything is rosy in the garden and you agree 100% with the team selection.

Does Fives, Prendergast and Barry usually pay for families to attend when they are playing, or is that another patethic excuse??

this is true....if people didn't agree with management...very few would ever turn up for Waterford matches ever...t
    KevIRL wrote: »
    Ah you are way underestimating the Waterford support PTH, not surprising given your pessimistic outlook. Minimum 5k from Waterford but probably closer to 7 or 8

you are fairly on the money...I would be expecting 13K crowd approx....that being said Waterford have a hardcore support who if they were playing in outter mongoalia on xmas eve would make it

that being said I do fear a bit for Waterford sunday...no one can honestly say that they expect Waterford to win tbh!!!
    cork are no world beaters...but should beat Waterford by 12+ points....they should have no ambitions for munster championship if they dont

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

Hopefully the team we named will surprise us and a few players will step up on Sunday, but its a big ask. I haven't seen any of the counties challenge matches or been to a game since the relegation decider, can anyone tell me if there's been any change in approach from management in how we play? Is it still flooding the half back line and midfield with no player within 30 meters of their goals stuff or is it any more direct?
    Cork aren't all that and I wouldnt hold any fear of them, and while I'd have alot of the guys on the bench starting this one I'm praying that there's a gameplan in place and they've picked the best men to implement that plan. What I've seen from the way we were set up to play in the league doesn't inspire confidence that we'll get close to Cork on the day, but if we go up expecting to lose we will. Only job for it is to go at them hammer and tongs and if we lose at least we fn tore into them and had a right go at it. A capitulation like the Clare and Kilkenny games would be a complete disaster and we need a fn performance. Déise abu!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

culbaire wrote: »
    What the hell are you on about? Would you care to elaborate? I have no connection with any of the three players named above. Supporters don't like to be taken for fools. Just remember that. I have NEVER got a free pass to any GAA match. I note your location. You are clearly out of touch with the feelings of the majority of Waterford supporters.

Take a deep breath, calm down and actually read both what you posted and what I was replying to.

You stated there would be numerous Waterford fans who would not travel due to the team selected and that this added to the cost for a family to attend would greatly reduce attendance, I was merely wondering would the cost for families to attend be somehow magically reduced if these so called supporters were happy with the 15 selected?

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

babs123 wrote: »
    What pub are you going watching the game in? Hurler on d ditch or should that be stool
    wtf you on about

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

babs123 wrote: »
    What pub are you going watching the game in? Hurler on d ditch or should that be stool

I"ll be in the pub alright. Cant guarantee ill be watching it as I'll be playing 45' but I guarantee you I'll have one eye on the tv for the score. Im a true blue no matter what, and if we make it through to the final or hopefully on to croke park in september I can guarantee you ill be there with my hat flag and bodhran Supporting my county through thick and thin. Hon the deise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

robopaddy wrote: »
    I"ll be in the pub alright. Cant guarantee ill be watching it as I'll be playing 45' but I guarantee you I'll have one eye on the tv for the score. Im a true blue no matter what, and if we make ot through to yhe final ot hopefully on to croke park in september I can guarantee you ill be there with my hat flag and bodhra. Supporting my county through thick amd thin. Hon the deise

are you in the pub already :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

Heres to a great game of hurling on Sunday.It will be a tough game but i think we have better forwards than Waterford and ultimately i think that will tell in the end.I just don't think Waterford have enough firepower up front although if i am made to eat those words then fair enough.I would have concerns about our management teams tactical ability and were going with a rookie full back and centre back.Now if Waterford can make things scrappy for our forwards then it's game on but i think if the Cork defence holds up then Cork will win.I think we have a better bench as well and of course Waterford are missing a few lad's.I think Waterford are developing a very good team but i think Cork will be too strong on Sunday.Im expecting a tough battle but i think we have enough firepower both starting and on the bench to get the job done.Don't forget to make it into Thurles in good time for the intermediate match.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

Heres to a great game of hurling on Sunday.It will be a tough game but i think we have better forwards than Waterford and ultimately i think that will tell in the end.I just don't think Waterford have enough firepower up front although if i am made to eat those words then fair enough.I would have concerns about our management teams tactical ability and were going with a rookie full back and centre back.Now if Waterford can make things scrappy for our forwards then it's game on but i think if the Cork defence holds up then Cork will win.I think we have a better bench as well and of course Waterford are missing a few lad's.I think Waterford are developing a very good team but i think Cork will be too strong on Sunday.Im expecting a tough battle but i think we have enough firepower both starting and on the bench to get the job done.Don't forget to make it into Thurles in good time for the intermediate match.

Looking forward to this now. I don't think personnally Cork have a stronger bench. It certainly was the case in 2012 AI QF where Waterford were the better team for 60 mins but Cork emptied their bench and went for it, overran the Deise and won well in the end. Waterford have on bench Shane Fives, Paudie Prender, Ritchie Foley, Donie Breathnach, Ray Barry, Seamus and a couple of others, maybe even a suprise or two. IT's a 20 man game now anyway, even with injuries I fancy the Waterford first 20.

Of the 2 15's named I would be envious of Horgan and Lehane but I'm sure JBM would love to have Brick and Moran, the rest would be debatable enough. I have worries tho. The advantage Cork have with 21 yard frees/ pens could be crucial. Nash v Mahony is no contest at that distance and although I believe there is someone else practising the Nash technique I hardly expect the same effect at this stage. The significence of absent injured players is hard to quantify, you could make make a case for anywhere between 4 and 8 as being 'missed'. For me Maurice, Daragh Fives, Mahony and Molumphy would conservatively be worth a point a man, thats a bit to make up.

The positives for us are:
    with Lawlor in the team we concede less goals,
    If Shane Fives and Paudie Prender can't get a start then we have to have a good defence (surely),
    T de Bourke is as good a player you could get to mark Lehane
    Eddie Barrett is a great player to come in considering there could be 5 players ahead of him for midfield with a full panel,
    HAlf forward line of Dillon, Mahony and Gleeson can all score from distance,
    We have our best no 14 available and 2 fast corner men beside him,
    and lastly the personel on the bench to change it

Travelling without fear for tommorrow, there will be biggest tests ahead for both teams regardless, so why not let fly..

Donal Og with a fantastic article in the examiner about Waterford v Cork rivalry. No matter what your expecting, reading that makes me wonder how anyone in a position to go, which is most people, could even contemplate not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

Donal Og with a fantastic article in the examiner about Waterford v Cork rivalry. No matter what your expecting, reading that makes me wonder how anyone in a position to go, which is most people, could even contemplate not going.

Just read it myself i thought it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Anyone go to the thing in Dublin last night ?

• Advertisement

I heard they got about 90k people there, expecting the same tonight judging by crowds in town

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

judging by your post ,you think too much ,,Hon de Deise

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

I heard they got about 90k people there, expecting the same tonight judging by crowds in town

Genuinely trying not to wet myself here, thought yee were on about One Direction in Croke Park for a second hahahahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

deise_girl wrote: »
    Genuinely trying not to wet myself here, thought yee were on about One Direction in Croke Park for a second hahahahaha

I have a spare ticket for tommorow lads anyone want it free to a good home ( and only if you'll feck in turn up)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

Tomorrow is probably the first time in 5-6 years where I am travelling with almost 0 belief we can win. This is not just due to the.incredible amount of injuries but because I am very concerned at the awful style of hurling that mcgrath has brought to this panel in combination with some very questionable player selection. I really hope we can put in a big performance but just cannot see where we will get the level of scores needed to win. We routinely clock about 1-15 or 0-17 but that won't be enough to win tomorrow. There is huge pressure on lads like Paudie Mahony and Jake due to the absentees in the forwards and four debutants is a lot of change, some of it unnecessary in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

Take a deep breath, calm down and actually read both what you posted and what I was replying to.

You stated there would be numerous Waterford fans who would not travel due to the team selected and that this added to the cost for a family to attend would greatly reduce attendance, I was merely wondering would the cost for families to attend be somehow magically reduced if these so called supporters were happy with the 15 selected?
    Not mutually exclusive. People are not prepared to travel and pay big money to view a possible whitewash. They will pay the money if they consider that it is worth attending. Many don't because of the team selected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

culbaire wrote: »
    Not mutually exclusive. People are not prepared to travel and pay big money to view a possible whitewash. They will pay the money if they consider that it is worth attending. Many don't because of the team selected.

What kinda person doesn't travel because ya might get hammered? How do you even think it's ok to admit to that?
    If that's your attitude why do you even bother wasting your time coming on her commenting about it?
    When exactly did you start going to Waterford games?
    Time for you to hang up the replica jersey and leave it there, if this the only type of negative tripe you can come out with over and over again in the lead up to a Munster championship I think you need to find yourself a new hobby, forget about following Waterford, it is plainly not what you are suited for

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Slobbery wrote: »
    What kinda person doesn't travel because ya might get hammered? How do you even think it's ok to admit to that?
    If that's your attitude why do you even bother wasting your time coming on her commenting about it?
    Time for you to hang up the replica jersey and leave it there, if this the only type of negative tripe you can come out with over and over again in the lead up to a Munster championship I think you need to find yourself a new hobby, forget about following Waterford, it is plainly not what you are suited for

The bottom line is people will be more inclined to follow when a team is doing well than when theyre not. Thats the nature of sport and thats just the way it always will be. While culbaire may be a bit confrontational about it at the end of the day his mindset is no different to your average sportsman the world over.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭The blue blaa

Slobbery wrote: »

Your dead right Slobbery I'm disgusted by the attitude of some people leading up to this (not just people on this thread) i'm sick of people bitching it's the wrong team and how we haven't a hope because of it. Some people need to remember the commitment that the players all 1-30 of them give to the county and now after training for past 5 months there not good enough is it???. In the current times these lads have to plan every part of their life around the whole season be it social life or a holiday even a wedding they sacrifice so much training in all types of weather giving it their all even when there getting the backs slated off them, then you have the efforts the injured lads put in to try to come back fit & ready and the setbacks they receive in their rehabilitation must be spirit crushing . While we the so called supporters just sit back on our hole an generally do what we wish in what we eat & drink. it's times like these when the chips are down we need to be the 16th man an pull together get behind the whole team dont just support 15 hurlers support them all management included.
    Rant over
    Deise abu..

• Advertisement

Just back from a weeks holiday in the Canaries and right in time for the match. Pretty rotten day today and we travel more in hope than expectation but its Munster Championship, in Thurles and Cork we are up against. Bring it on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement