Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

Up the deise today and very best of luck to the New guys a quick review of the papers indicate we have little or no hope but sometimes this is just the way we like it hoping for a great game and if is not our day the qualifers will do us no harm

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Bad weather lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Orizio wrote: »
    Bad weather lads?

Overcast, grey, and wet here in Waterford City anyway. Not raining right now but expect we'll see plenty of it fall today. No break in the clouds either as me Mother would say

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭IanVW

Tony browne interview on today fm now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

KevIRL wrote: »
    Overcast, grey, and wet here in Waterford City anyway. Not raining right now but expect we'll see plenty of it fall today. No break in the clouds either as me Mother would say

Mightened be the worst thing for us though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

robopaddy wrote: »
    The bottom line is people will be more inclined to follow when a team is doing well than when theyre not. Thats the nature of sport and thats just the way it always will be. While culbaire may be a bit confrontational about it at the end of the day his mindset is no different to your average sportsman the world over.

Why does he need to come on here preaching about how he doesn't want to go to the match? Who wants to know? Who cares?

Plus I disagree, it is not a mindset the same the world over, we are not talking about a team you picked when you were young because they did well in the FA cup that year, only to find yourself a hull city supporter as am adult, this is hurling we are talking about, this is Waterford, it's not about being there for the good times, if someone doesn't want to be a part of it fine, it's not for everyone, but no need to broadcast energy sucking negativity to people who actually care

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Anyone know if WLR are doing the intermediate game live of just the senior?

Can't wait now, don't know how anyone at home who has the chance to go to the game won't, I'd give my right arm to be there. It's this time of year for these games that I hate being away from home.

I'd love to be proved wrong but it's hard to see anything but a cork win. The consensus seems to be if we can put in a big effort and the younger lads show they can compete and perform at this level then it might not be the worst outcome.

Best of luck to all involved today, intermediates and seniors.

Come on the Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Photo of the sky in thurles this morning thankfully my dad moved here a few years ago making semple matches an easy slog

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

Cake Man wrote: »
    Anyone know if WLR are doing the intermediate game live of just the senior?

Can't wait now, don't know how anyone at home who has the chance to go to the game won't, I'd give my right arm to be there. It's this time of year for these games that I hate being away from home.

I'd love to be proved wrong but it's hard to see anything but a cork win. The consensus seems to be if we can put in a big effort and the younger lads show they can compete and perform at this level then it might not be the worst outcome.

Best of luck to all involved today, intermediates and seniors.

Come on the Deise

Best of luck to the intermediates and Senior hurlers today. If you have an opportunity to go to the match today you should be there - really think all true supporters will be there. As one poster said, there are supporters who can't go because they are living outside of Ireland. What is the point of being on this forum if you won't go to Semple for Waterford v Cork?.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

Photo of the sky in thurles this morning thankfully my dad moved here a few years ago making semple matches an easy slog

Haha now thats dedication. Do ye have a holiday home on Jones Road too?!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Your dead right Slobbery I'm disgusted by the attitude of some people leading up to this (not just people on this thread) i'm sick of people bitching it's the wrong team and how we haven't a hope because of it. Some people need to remember the commitment that the players all 1-30 of them give to the county and now after training for past 5 months there not good enough is it???. In the current times these lads have to plan every part of their life around the whole season be it social life or a holiday even a wedding they sacrifice so much training in all types of weather giving it their all even when there getting the backs slated off them, then you have the efforts the injured lads put in to try to come back fit & ready and the setbacks they receive in their rehabilitation must be spirit crushing . While we the so called supporters just sit back on our hole an generally do what we wish in what we eat & drink. it's times like these when the chips are down we need to be the 16th man an pull together get behind the whole team dont just support 15 hurlers support them all management included.
    Rant over
    Deise abu..

I would support the team myself (just getting ready to leave)
    but I would not stand over the support of the management and tactics....I have seen nothing so far this year that is an improvement and plenty to suggest they have gone backwards
    in all honesty ive lost confidence in them and there gameplan

I cant see them being successful today....like I would like and hope to see them win...but I fear Waterford are in for a long day in thurles

deisedude wrote: »
    Haha now thats dedication. Do ye have a holiday home on Jones Road too?!!!

I live on the southside,so Luas into town, and a 40 minute walk :-) but i used to live on the maynooth line on the southside and it was 5 minute walk 20 min train 5 minutes walk, kinda miss that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

I'm pretty bemused by the snobbery of those looking down on those who aren't traveling.

Heaps of people are hugely supportive and involves in their clubs, will follow the county team closely, but for any number of reasons don't travel. I don't think they should be looked down on.

The large Waterford support over the previous decade included a lot of new people who never went to games before because Waterford hadn't much to support, and hurling is a day out - nothing more. If they aren't expecting much entertainment they will vote with their feet.

Some of the comments here remind me of the Waterford United ‘Ultras' who attend every game like it's some form of pilgrimage, looking down their nose at those who don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Waterford United have "ultras"?

hardybuck wrote: »
    I'm pretty bemused by the snobbery of those looking down on those who aren't traveling.

Heaps of people are hugely supportive and involves in their clubs, will follow the county team closely, but for any number of reasons don't travel. I don't think they should be looked down on.

The large Waterford support over the previous decade included a lot of new people who never went to games before because Waterford hadn't much to support, and hurling is a day out - nothing more. If they aren't expecting much entertainment they will vote with their feet.

Some of the comments here remind me of the Waterford United ‘Ultras' who attend every game like it's some form of pilgrimage, looking down their nose at those who don't.

it appears to be forgot on many...exactly how expensive the day out is...I wouldn't blame anyone for not going after seeing the crap that was offered up as tactics/performances during the league

I am not looking down on people that don't travel, not everyone can especially people with young families.

People coming on saying they aren't travelling because they wouldn't waste their money because they don't agree with the team picked and because we are going to get hammered, that I have a problem with, who needs to hear that kind of ridiculous b!tching, if we won today they would be first people at the Clare game.

What would you think of that attitude yourself? Do you think it is reflective of a true supporter? On Munster championship day as well, Christ we could be waiting another year for another one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Here here. People claiming to be true supporters that support their county through thick and thin. Id like to know what percentage of those travelling today have been to all league games and waterford crystal games? If not would that not make them fake supporters only going for the big days out? Yet we are led to beleive that anyone travelling today is a true fan. Its all hypocritical nonsense.

some of the people that religiously go to all county games wouldnt support their local club or the underage scene in the county so these generalised comments being made here is total rubbish.

Slobbery wrote: »
    I am not looking down on people that don't travel, not everyone can especially people with young families.

People coming on saying they aren't travelling because they wouldn't waste their money because they don't agree with the team picked and because we are going to get hammered, that I have a problem with, who needs to hear that kind of ridiculous b!tching, if we won today they would be first people at the Clare game.

What would you think of that attitude yourself? Do you think it is reflective of a true supporter? On Munster championship day as well, Christ we could be waiting another year for another one

they are right though...it is coming down the tracks...do you honesty believe after the league performances/tactics and team named today they will win??
    I hope they do like:)

but there is no point in blindly going up there and coming home depressed with your mouth open at how bad they are...
    its thinking like that gets England fans laughed at every world cup...blind optimism

right im away for thurles:D:D:D

Still have a spare ticket guys free to anyone who wants it

they are right though...it is coming down the tracks...do you honesty believe after the league performances/tactics and team named today they will win??
    I hope they do like:)

but there is no point in blindly going up there and coming home depressed with your mouth open at how bad they are...
    its thinking like that gets England fans laughed at every world cup...blind optimism

right im away for thurles:D:D:D

Am we haven't lost any match yet, ya I do think they are in with a chance of winning after looking at both teams, do you honestly think the league has any bearing on today? Cork weren't even in the same league as us does that matter? Do you know anything about there tactics in 1B?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Id say ye can relax a bit there lads, what people are giving out about is this in a position to go that won't of which there are plenty. There's not as many people that would have gone before that are really that badly off that they can't afford to go as people say there are. Same people would openly criticize the teams efforts, and would be then ones who thought Dan was the man one day and the next day gave him torrents of abuse.

You know I once declined to go a match I thought we couldn't win. It was in 08 vs tip and I regret it to this day. Never used that excuse again mind

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

You know I once declined to go a match I thought we couldn't win. It was in 08 vs tip and I regret it to this day. Never used that excuse again mind

I went to that expecting a hiding and we ambushed tipp, great result. I have no faith in management for todays game but i'll go anyway and hope we at least give cork a game. We have the players to cause problrms, its how we set up our stall for the game i'd be concerned about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Slobbery wrote: »
    IWhat would you think of that attitude yourself? Do you think it is reflective of a true supporter? On Munster championship day as well, Christ we could be waiting another year for another one

I would say that free time and money are hard earned, and people are free to spend both without ridicule.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Intermediates lose by 6 points. Was level with 10 mins left but cork finished much stronger and scored 7 points to waterfords 1

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

judging by the tv pictures there seems to be alot more down in thurles today then the corresponding fixture between clare and waterford last year , that day the square in the town was like a ghost town

how confident are ye for today's one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Great effort so far. Fives for coughlan in corner back is a switch that needs to be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭obezyana

Geat effort by Waterford hopefully they won't implode in the second half.

Very good first half but could be further ahead, way too many wides. Hope they don't come back to haunt us.

Lads, Tadhg de Burca what an animal! Ozzie Gleeson on fire aswell

• Advertisement

YEssdsdssssssss ozzieeeee!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement