Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Sunday the 8th

is that not the same day as clare v waterford in the football? i know its a fixture thats probably not top priority in either county but someone was'nt thinking when that decision was made

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Anti climax. Hard to know how to feel. But on the positive we are still in the Munster championship and we are bringing through talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

The turning point was the concession of the goal, right after we scored ours. It took the wind out of our sails and if wed have kept that out there really would have been no way back for cork. It kind of knocked the stuffing out of us but in fairness there was always going to be a huge kick in cork in that second half. Its a learning experience for this youbg team and they live to get another crack at it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Just don't bother! its the story of our lives that we knock our teams before during and after the game...we were good enough to go 9 points up in spite of every man and his dog writing us off. A heroic,courageous display by our young guns. Restored our reputation in spades...

It was a fantastic performance for 45 or so minutes and then cork turned up and played hurling!
    Never seen Waterford forwards so committed to defending and blocking and swarming the man on the ball for the first 45 minutes.. well 4 out of the 6 anyway, but then that all faded and cork were well on top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭willietherock

Brian O Sullivan! I didn't see that performance coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Well just back from the match, good to see a performance like that, wasn't expecting it! Hard to know whether to be disappointed or not, at 62 minutes I was certain cork would carry on and romp home. Good to see how we withstood it. On the downside I can't see cork being that poor again for the replay. They were dreadful in the first half.

What was the cork free at the end awarded for?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

Great effort from all involved, I could not see us getting a result and was delighted to be proved wrong. Cork were definitely suffering with the favourites tag but when they got going they looked good. We lacked the bit of experience in the forwards to finish it off but if we can get a couple of the injured lads back and with SOS back from suspension we have every chance in the replay. A pity about the low turnout but hopefully some will return for the replay.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

Great performance from this young Waterford team and maybe some of the doubters will come out and give them the support they deserve the next day. What a goal from Gleeson, the kid's got talent. Fantastic to have such a reliable freetaker in Padraic Mahoney, he must have ice in his veins. Pity we didn't get the win but I was sure we were going to lose when we went from 9 points up to level in the space of 15 mins. Conceding the goal was a killer just after scoring ours but they were always going to have a purple patch.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

I for one will hold my hands up and say I genuinely didn't see that coming. We made Cork look very very ordinary. Can we rise to the same level intensity again in 2 weeks and maintain it for 70 mins is the question. If we get SOS back along with Molumphy and Darragh Fives who are on the short term injured list then wed be in with a real shout. I for the life of me cant understand why Noel Connors wasn't switched onto Cadogan? Hes by far our best man marker, when Shane Fives came on he still couldn't handle him. Anyone else share this view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

Well done to all involved with Waterford. Impressive stuff considering the circumstances with the injury list, very impressive in fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Just home now after a couple of short stop offs. We would of taken a draw if offered earlier today, but am left with an overwhelming feeling of having left that one behind. We wasted a lot of possession and scoring chances throughout the game but especially in the first half and toward the end also. We also went from being completely in control to total disorganisation after the Cork goal.

However, given the doom and gloom before the game, the amount of players missing and all the rest, what a fantastic performance. Great to see so many of the young lads stepping up and it can be argued that it was some of the more senior players who dropped performance. Tadgh De Burca my motm today.

We were looking right down from our place in the stand on Austin Gleeson's goal, wow what a goal, as good a solo effort as you ever likely to see. The management team however should hang their heads for not subbing him as our last sub, it was clear from about 5 mins before Shane Walsh was subbed that Austin was suffering badly. The management team did lots right today so dont want to be overly critical but this was poor

Passed Eddie Barrett afterwards and he was on crutches and leg in a cast, so that doesnt look too good, hopefully it will work out okay for him as he was good in the few mins he did play

Was surprised to hear the announcement afterwards that the replay was for Sunday week, expected it next weekend, but better for us that it is a couple of weeks away, our fitness is a definite concern and gives some more time for our many walking wounded to return

Finally, have to note a very disappointing Waterford turnout from supporters today, I said last week we'd have a minimum of 5K there, but from where I was sitting I would be surprised if that many were there. Sad to see and I know it can be a pricey day and expectations were low but hopefully people can find a way to get more behind the team the next day and for the rest of the championship

Neeson wrote: »
    Too much reliance on the old men and still dreaming of Mister Mullane strolling around the pitch. Dark days ahead.

Ah get to fukk.

The young guns stepped up to the mark today and there's plenty more coming through.

1/10 troll effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

id definitely be more optimistic, we can work on our fitness and we can work on how not to give up a nine point lead. we'll be underdogs again in 2 weeks which suits us, we've nothing to lose and certainly nothing to fear.

robopaddy wrote: »
    The turning point was the concession of the goal, right after we scored ours. It took the wind out of our sails and if wed have kept that out there really would have been no way back for cork. It kind of knocked the stuffing out of us but in fairness there was always going to be a huge kick in cork in that second half. Its a learning experience for this youbg team and they live to get another crack at it

Agree with all of this post. Cork goal came at the right wrong time, and a double sickener as SOK pulled off a great save. We needed leaders on the field in the aftermath of the goal and instead everything went south for a bit.

Great for the experience for both team and management.

id definitely be more optimistic, we can work on our fitness and we can work on how not to give up a nine point lead. we'll be underdogs again in 2 weeks which suits us, we've nothing to lose.

Indeed, and remember we will have an extra game played now after Sunday week so this should be a bit of an advantage for our 3rd game either against Clare or a qualifier

garv123 wrote: »
    Well what would you expect throwing a 9 point lead away?

Great first half and 10 mins in the second half.. Then Cork turned up and Waterford crapped their pants.

Again the huge wides cost waterford.. Story of our lives.

That is one of the most ridiculous posts i've ever seen. What match were you watching? I suppose you weren't at the game either?

And your previous comment about Seamus is unfair to. He got a nice point and did way more than Shane Walsh as another poster has elluded to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

KevIRL wrote: »
    Ah get to fukk.

The young guns stepped up to the mark today and there's plenty more coming through.

1/10 troll effort.

I want Waterford to win!

I want Waterford to win!

lol I just read your posts on the hurling championship thread and I am done engaging with you
    The Dessies need to get rid of dead rot leg like Shanahan and give some of the younger bucks a lick of the ball and a feel for the hurl. Mullane stepped off the stage at the right time. He would not be seen to crumble. Dan is an old man. Old enough to be the daddy of some of the youngsters. Time for him to get back in the lorry.
    He's 37! And barely has a leg to carry himself. But he has been a great servant no doubt.
    To be fair he is great and I am a bit hyperbolic but I think his time is done and you need to start breeding a new bunch of boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

The Brick did some great stuff today
    - doing a kind of a no look hand pass to set someone up for a score in the middle if the first half in front of the new stand
    - completely against the odds picking the ball up with his two feet after having lost his hurley ... Only for Kevin Moran to blast a long distance shot wide and
    - striking the ball out of his hand for the first time in yonks :-)

Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,354 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

hopefully Cork dont run away with the replay. They would have learnt a lot from the game today

good performance today austin gleeson could become the next ken mcgrath.

Shane o Sullivan would be due back for the replay and Molumphy could also be back. Dont knw about Maurice or Bennett

Its look like the replay might not be on TV as RTE have matches on that day already. They could have throw in at 6pm so it can be on tv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭sid wallace

Be the jaysus. Where did that come from. We should have won. But when Cork equalised I looked at the clock and it read 59.42. How many of us thought we'd hang on at that point. None I'd say. To be fair they really toughed it out in the finish.

In fairness I thought the substitutions proved the starting selection correct. None of the subs improved matters, though to be fair to Seamus he gave us an option at the end for an out ball that we hadn't had for 20 minutes.

Also fair to say that I have been very critical of Brian O'Sullivan but when we needed a man to stand up and be counted at the end, he delivered in spades.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    hopefully Cork dont run away with the replay. They would have learnt a lot from the game today

good performance today austin gleeson could become the next ken mcgrath.

Shane o Sullivan would be due back for the replay and Molumphy could also be back. Dont knw about Maurice or Bennett

Its look like the replay might not be on TV as RTE have matches on that day already. They could have throw in at 6pm so it can be on tv

Cant see it being on at 6pm on a Sunday, just wont be on TV I'd say, tis just a Quarter final replay after all

lol I just read your posts on the hurling championship thread and I am done engaging with you

Tony Browne has to go though. I'm all for bringing the youth through.

That is one of the most ridiculous posts i've ever seen. What match were you watching? I suppose you weren't at the game either?

And your previous comment about Seamus is unfair to. He got a nice point and did way more than Shane Walsh as another poster has elluded to

So just because everyone cant go to a match means they cant have an opinion?

Cork were brutal in the first half and Waterford played some brilliant hurling and most of the forwards it everything and played great defending from the the full forward line. Didnt even hear shane walsh mentioned throughout the game.. which i mentioned.. Seamus came on and he too just gave away frees because he wasnt fast enough for the men on the field. Ill even admit he got a nice point though.

The 2 or 3 forwards swarming the cork lads in the first half worked out very well and for them and they never gave up till they had the ball back but if didnt happen as much in the second half.
    Great to see so many young lads standing out and there'll be a few names on that team that will be stars in the future.

Go through any of the posts made on any forum... One of the biggest trolls on boards.. As you can see by the Tony Browne comment above..

Go through any of the posts made on any forum... One of the biggest trolls on boards.. As you can see by the Tony Browne comment above..

It was just a little quip. I don't expect people I get ruzzzzzz up about it! :)

Sorry.

Apologies to all here.

So just because everyone cant go to a match means they cant have an opinion?

Cork were brutal in the first half and Waterford played some brilliant hurling and most of the forwards it everything and played great defending from the the full forward line. Didnt even hear shane walsh mentioned throughout the game.. which i mentioned.. Seamus came on and he too just gave away frees because he wasnt fast enough for the men on the field. Ill even admit he got a nice point though.

The 2 or 3 forwards swarming the cork lads in the first half worked out very well and for them and they never gave up till they had the ball back but if didnt happen as much in the second half.
    Great to see so many young lads standing out and there'll be a few names on that team that will be stars in the future.

I didnt say you cant have an opinion I just find it ridiculous. You can't dominate a team for 70 mins everyone knows that. Cork had their purple patch and took advantage. You can't knock Waterford for that, most would have thought they would lose it when Cork levelled, including myself. But they didn't, they held on which is very encouraging considering all these young lads just simply don't have all the strength and conditioning done yet you could see Gleeson was out on his feet with 10 to go. And look at how many players we were missing, you are close to double digits. There was pride restored in the jersey which is all any fan can hope for when he makes the journey to Semple.
    I feel Seamus has a very important role to play still, he is our most unique forward in terms of what he brings to the table

I didnt say you cant have an opinion I just find it ridiculous. You can't dominate a team for 70 mins everyone knows that. Cork had their purple patch and took advantage. You can't knock Waterford for that, most would have thought they would lose it when Cork levelled, including myself. But they didn't, they held on which is very encouraging considering all these young lads just simply don't have all the strength and conditioning done yet you could see Gleeson was out on his feet with 10 to go. And look at how many players we were missing, you are close to double digits. There was pride restored in the jersey which is all any fan can hope for when he makes the journey to Semple.
    I feel Seamus has a very important role to play still, he is our most unique forward in terms of what he brings to the table

So why ask was I at the game? what difference would it make? Id love to be at every game if I could. Id have liked to see family members make their debut but its not a cheap day out that we can all afford.
    Fitness might have been a big part to play in it considering they gave so much in the first half and people were out on their feet.

He's a great fella to win a high ball and lay it off, but that wasnt waterfords game plan and against the nippy speedy lads you could clearly see it wasnt his type of gave and gave away two sloppy frees because of it. A fresher faster pair of legs would have been more beneficial at that stage.
    Im still not disagreeing that waterford had a huge number of young talent on the pitch that will come along a lot over the course of the championship.
    Its a good thing to have a panel now thats so competitive even with so many injuries. It will make training more beneficial and competitive too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think Donnelly should be on the bench the next day. Was brilliant for intermediates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

Ridiculous. Gleeson should have been man of the match. Cadogan was the darling of the rte commentary team and panelists but he wasnt man of the match.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement