Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

dzilla wrote: »
    Ridiculous. Gleeson should have been man of the match. Cadogan was the darling of the rte commentary team and panelists but he wasnt man of the match.

I couldn't argue with it to be honest. Toss up between the 3. Gleeson had a few wides but overall an excellent debut

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

deisedude wrote: »
    I think Donnelly should be on the bench the next day. Was brilliant for intermediates

Very good in the league too, was surprised that he was on the intermediate panel and not with the seniors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Remember Brick hit the ball down the line towards the end of the match, went over Shane O Neill's head and Seamus was running onto it. Imagine if that was donnelly? He would have ran straight for goal...Seamus ran back into the tackle.
    I'm a big fan of Seamus he was great throughout the years for us....but unless you play him full forward and hit the ball direct into him, he is no use to the team. Doesn't make sense to hit balls in the corner for him to run after

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Ridiculous. Gleeson should have been man of the match. Cadogan was the darling of the rte commentary team and panelists but he wasnt man of the match.

I wouldn't call giving him motm ridiculous at all. He was on fire, burned his man time and time again, scored a few, got fouled for another few and he was making his debut!
    Yes there were other contenders, but it was certainly not a ridiculous decision.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Delighted with the performance but sick we couldn't hold out at the end. You always knew Cork would have their purple patch and I think we all felt it was game over when they drew level with a min or 2 left.
    Well done to all the lads though, especially the youngsters who stood up to the plate.

Next day will be interesting, Cork won't start as poorly again but at least we should have a few players back.

Is the replay confirmed for Sunday week? It's all well and good having the extra week to prepare and get players back but won't both teams only then have a week to prepare for Clare/qualifier game?

deisedude wrote: »
    I couldn't argue with it to be honest. Toss up between the 3. Gleeson had a few wides but overall an excellent debut

Didnt think Gleeson was even Waterford's best player to be honest. He certainly had a great game, but a few too many wides for me.

Probably as well off that Cadogan got it anyway, gonna be huge expectations of Gleeson now and anything that can lower that even a small bit is good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

KevIRL wrote: »
    Didnt think Gleeson was even Waterford's best player to be honest. He certainly had a great game, but a few too many wides for me.

Probably as well off that Cadogan got it anyway, gonna be huge expectations of Gleeson now and anything that can lower that even a small bit is good

Was De Búrca nominated. Thought he was best to be honest?

Was De Búrca nominated. Thought he was best to be honest?

Nope nominees were Mahony, Gleeson and Cadogan. Cadogan won it obv, cant really argue with that either, there was a lot of v good performances but no stand out obvious player.

For what its worth De Burca would have been my pick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

KevIRL wrote: »
    Nope nominees were Mahony, Gleeson and Cadogan. Cadogan won it obv, cant really argue with that either, there was a lot of v good performances but no stand out obvious player.

For what its worth De Burca would have been my pick too.

I thought they'd pick Gleeson. He scored a great goal, and a sideline, and he's just out of minor... RTE love sidelines! He was dead on his feet at the end though.

Cadogan was excellent too- as was De Búrca, Walsh, O'Keeffe, Connors. McDonnell and McLoughlin were good for Cork.

Very encouraging for Waterford, are they due to get any of the players back from injury? Maybe Stephen Bennett as a sub option?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

id definitely be more optimistic, we can work on our fitness and we can work on how not to give up a nine point lead. we'll be underdogs again in 2 weeks which suits us, we've nothing to lose and certainly nothing to fear.

id be more optimistic as well...genuinely didn't see that performance coming...I taught cork were v.poor for long stages...really off the pace (not to take from wat atal)
    hopfully they will go the distance the next day....thgis game should bring them on heaps....that being said the lack of fitness was a very worring point...was it cork improved immeasurably or Waterford faded badly particularly the last 20 mins...what would performance been like if it was 20 degrees + today??
    Neeson wrote: »
    Tony Browne has to go though. I'm all for bringing the youth through.
    hes long gone:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Fireball07 wrote: »

Very encouraging for Waterford, are they due to get any of the players back from injury? Maybe Stephen Bennett as a sub option?

Shane O Sullivan back from suspension for sure. Possibly Molumphy, Maurice Shanahan, Darragh Fives, Jamie Barron back from injury. I believe Bennett is sticking with just underage this year and am glad to hear that if true, he has been overplayed for such a young age

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

I think there were any number of players who could have been MOTM but wouldn't argue with Cadogan. Equally there were a number of players who were very poor, Cian Mac, Lehane and Cronin for Cork and Shane Walsh and Moran for ourselves. I strongly feel we need Moran back at half back if we can get some other players fit in midfield - would like to see Darragh Fives and Sully in there and Molumphy in half forward line.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Neeson wrote: »
    Tony Browne has to go though. I'm all for bringing the youth through.

Go away boy, if you got a belt of a slioter in winter, you'd swear it was a snowball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Proud Waterford man today, well done lads!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,882 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    Go away boy, if you got a belt of a slioter in winter, you'd swear it was a snowball

Had a good chuckle at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

culbaire wrote: »
    You can laugh all you like at it. Thats how a lot of supporters feel. And they are correct.
    This team is not the best 15 available. Some players have been unfairly scapegoated. Others who should have been dropped were not. What is really annoying supporters is that this is a Cork team which could be taken. It is not a patch on the great Cork teams of old. By the way you are forgetting the cost to families.

watching the game today and considering how poorly the waterford subs played when introduced i am curious as to who it is exactly that you are aggreived were left out?

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

After the match Frank Flannery said Eddie Barrett could be out for a while but Stephen Molumphy and Darragh Fives may make the replay.
    Richie Foley was in trouble so one one of those or Shane Sullivan could come in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Redbullsh!t

watching the game today and considering how poorly the waterford subs played when introduced i am curious as to who it is exactly that you are aggreived were left out?

The way he is reacting you would swear someone close to him got dropped...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

It's a good job im not a betting man eh!Credit to Waterford they always produce the goods when their written off.Corks performance in that first half was disgraceful.We were leaderless on the field and leaderless on the sideline.The hard lessons were not learned after last years all ireland.We allowed the Waterford forwards acres of room and we were cleaned out in the middle third in that first half.That was quite a hefty boot up the backside alright!However we kept plugging away and we snatched the draw although i think Waterfords fitness failed them in the closing stages.Without the contributions of Stephen McDonnell Hoggie and a man from my own place called Billy Cooper then we would have been beaten today.Of course perhaps Waterford played so well that they didn't allow Cork to play well.My family on the Waterford side would be Ardmore people but the Clashmore/Kinsalebeg club is on our doorstep and young Tadgh Burke had a fine game.As for Austin Gleeson 1-2 is not bad going on your senior debut!However i think Alan Cadogan was a worthy man of the match and for a man making his debut Mark Ellis was solid at centre back.Waterford will be back as all ireland contenders sooner rather than later.It was a good game of hurling and from my own perspective i hope Cork will be better the next day.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Advertisement

It's a good job im not a betting man eh!Credit to Waterford they always produce the goods when their written off.Corks performance in that first half was disgraceful.We were leaderless on the field and leaderless on the sideline.The hard lessons were not learned after last years all ireland.We allowed the Waterford forwards acres of room and we were cleaned out in the middle third in that first half.That was quite a hefty boot up the backside alright!However we kept plugging away and we snatched the draw although i think Waterfords fitness failed them in the closing stages.Without the contributions of Stephen McDonnell Hoggie and a man from my own place called Billy Cooper then we would have been beaten today.Of course perhaps Waterford played so well that they didn't allow Cork to play well.My family on the Waterford side would be Ardmore people but the Clashmore/Kinsalebeg club is on our doorstep and young Tadgh Burke had a fine game.As for Austin Gleeson 1-2 is not bad going on your senior debut!Waterford will be back as all ireland contenders sooner rather than later.It was a good game of hurling and from my own perspective i hope Cork will be better the next day.

Good man straight talker, Waterford and Cork, although not the quality of a few years ago, still delivers something special, isn't it great that we are competing like this with nothing between the teams with such regularity? There is never a dirty stroke there and it always a great open game of hurling, how many of the Waterford players played with UCC/CIT? Our teams are becoming entwined at college level they must know each other very well at this stage! (UCC Shane o Sullivan, the two mahonys, Kevin Moran, Jamie Nagle, Tadhg de burca, Brain o'Sullivan, Dara fives, Jamie Barron ... CIT Ray Barry, Stephen Daniels) there is not a lot these guys don't know about each other...
    Ye had more firepower than us up front and ye had more of a threat from the bench, but with hopefully Molumpy, Dara fives and Shane I Sullivan to come back it will strengthen our team and subsequently the bench.

Alan cadogan was deserved MOTM, it was a great day for the debutants and he was marginally the best.

Waterford v Cork has been super since our re-emergence, and thank god we get to do it a again in a few days!

Both teams can take a lot of positives, but regardless of what happens today was a huge step forward for us.

And don't let the forum descend into petty madness lads we have had enough if that over the last few years, focus on the hurling and the positives!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Cornerstoner

garv123 wrote: »
    So why ask was I at the game? what difference would it make? Id love to be at every game if I could. Id have liked to see family members make their debut but its not a cheap day out that we can all afford.
    Fitness might have been a big part to play in it considering they gave so much in the first half and people were out on their feet.

He's a great fella to win a high ball and lay it off, but that wasnt waterfords game plan and against the nippy speedy lads you could clearly see it wasnt his type of gave and gave away two sloppy frees because of it. A fresher faster pair of legs would have been more beneficial at that stage.
    Im still not disagreeing that waterford had a huge number of young talent on the pitch that will come along a lot over the course of the championship.
    Its a good thing to have a panel now thats so competitive even with so many injuries. It will make training more beneficial and competitive too

Theres a big difference from the view you have in the stand compared to the view you get at home with the instant replays. The fresher faster legs that came on in the form of Breathnach and Barry had far less of an impact that of old Prendergast if you ask me...
    And i'm not interested in having a personal debate with you on this as you can see from my posts i'm a GAA man, I dont post on any other forums

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

I was at the game today but need to watch it back again as there was so much going on - initial thoughts are just pride at the way the team played - thought the backs were excellent but Connors caught out a few times in the second half - Richie Foley looked off the pace when he came on but he hasn't played a lot of hurling recently. Positives everywhere else for Waterford - stand outs for me were Brick, Mahoney , de Burca and Gleeson (what a goal!). Special mention for BOSullivan - could have taken better options but really showed for the ball in crucial last 5 mins. Thought the draw was a fair result.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

where are the key board warriors from down the west tonight?

whinging and moaning about the team selection and favoritism towards dereks "ex pupils". Anyone to a man that played justified their selection regardless of their club or creed. Not all worked out for different reaosns barry coghlan and eddie barrett, but anyone that follows club hurling know these two are special talents. Some of the subs that were supposedly hard done by didnt impress me too much notably darragh fives whom i am a huge fan of. I hope he and a few of the others can improve, game was built for molumphy so hopefully he isnt far away from a half, shane sul will bring something to the table too as will maurice shan hopefully he will make an impression as the summer goes on.

there is obviously no favoritism within the ranks im sure dan and frank flan wouldnt have it and derek certainly doesnt roll like that. as shown with firing in dunford from colligan & breathnach from maybe not fashionable hurling clubs.

Also i think waterford will learn more then cork and have no fear of horsing into them again the next day, salivating at the mouth thinking of the other lads that are waiting in the shadows, the bennetts, currans, forans of this world we seen what aussie gleeson can do today.... if a fella is good enough and showing form he will play if not he will have a warm tracksuit on him. Lest we forget daniels molumphy sullivan foley phil mahoney 1/3 of a championship team still to come back into the frey, not to mention barron, gavin o brien and whoever pops up between now and then in club champ.

the future is bright lads and its blue and white, we all need to forget about this negativity and sniping at this east west sihte, be constructive and take a step back from club loyalties when speaking about the county.

roll on saturday week.

na deise abù! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

special mention for tadgh de burca too, papers will rave about gleeson and rightfully so, but how good was tadgh today? Noel connors too showing that he is the best in the business, pity they didnt let him follow horgan out the field he really shackled him.

Tramore84 wrote: »
    I was at the game today but need to watch it back again as there was so much going on - initial thoughts are just pride at the way the team played - thought the backs were excellent but Connors caught out a few times in the second half - Richie Foley looked off the pace when he came on but he hasn't played a lot of hurling recently. Positives everywhere else for Waterford - stand outs for me were Brick, Mahoney , de Burca and Gleeson (what a goal!). Special mention for BOSullivan - could have taken better options but really showed for the ball in crucial last 5 mins. Thought the draw was a fair result.

I thought Brain O'Sullivan was excellent, and won some vital balls when we really needed someone to win it, I thought he had a decent league but got a lot of criticism, but he was up against an extra defender in all those games.
    He burned Shane o Neill one of the fastest corner backs in the game.

where are the key board warriors from down the west tonight?

whinging and moaning about the team selection and favoritism towards dereks "ex pupils". Anyone to a man that played justified their selection regardless of their club or creed. Not all worked out for different reaosns barry coghlan and eddie barrett, but anyone that follows club hurling know these two are special talents. Some of the subs that were supposedly hard done by didnt impress me too much notably darragh fives whom i am a huge fan of. I hope he and a few of the others can improve, game was built for molumphy so hopefully he isnt far away from a half, shane sul will bring something to the table too as will maurice shan hopefully he will make an impression as the summer goes on.

there is obviously no favoritism within the ranks im sure dan and frank flan wouldnt have it and derek certainly doesnt roll like that. as shown with firing in dunford from colligan & breathnach from maybe not fashionable hurling clubs.

Also i think waterford will learn more then cork and have no fear of horsing into them again the next day, salivating at the mouth thinking of the other lads that are waiting in the shadows, the bennetts, currans, forans of this world we seen what aussie gleeson can do today.... if a fella is good enough and showing form he will play if not he will have a warm tracksuit on him. Lest we forget daniels molumphy sullivan foley phil mahoney 1/3 of a championship team still to come back into the frey, not to mention barron, gavin o brien and whoever pops up between now and then in club champ.

the future is bright lads and its blue and white, we all need to forget about this negativity and sniping at this east west sihte, be constructive and take a step back from club loyalties when speaking about the county.

roll on saturday week.

na deise abù! ;)

That was Shane fives not Daragh..

Why did you bring up the east west thing twice?

You are right the future is bright, isn't it great that lads are popping up from clashmore, ring, colligan and doing so well on the big stage.

The names you have mentioned that are injured it is some list alright, we will have a great squad if we get them all back..

Bennett's and Patrick Curran on the way, imagine how tantalising it must have been for them and a host of other young hurlers to see Aussie Gleeson today, the future certainly is blue and white, 2014 is just a stepping stone, better days are ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Proud of that display today from Waterford. Can't get over the criticism on here to be honest. If we were told beforehand we'd be disappointed with a draw we'd have been laughed at. The best thing ever happened was Cadogan getting motd,there will be enough spoken about Aussie in the next 2 weeks without adding extra pressure on him. Some debut from him by the way. As for him going down with cramp I believe he suffers from,is it lack of sugar I think in his blood and not lack of fitness. Connors brilliant again on Horgan,it was only when he went out the field he dragged Cork back into it. We're not that far away at all and if we have the likes of Molumphy,darragh fives, Jamie Barron fit the next day we'll definitely add more strength and experience to the team. Maybe we're being harsh on d subs that came in aswell because if you look at it would they have hit 9 wides in the first half especially with the room that we had up top in that period? Watch the ball that was played into our inside line in the second half compared to the first and ask yourself the question was it as good? Definitely not. I honestly believe if Barry especially,got on some of those deliveries in the first half he would have added some scores. The delivery in the second half was alot more rushed and aimless compared to the precise balls in the first and we paid the price because of it.Cork have to take credit for that aswell because they stormed into the game in the second half and to be brutally honest if it went on for another 5 mins there was only one winner and it wasn't us!
    Have to be positive after that display,knowing we'll be well able for them again the next day. They're no world beaters whatsoever and with the the same attitude and belief we can definitely finish the job Sunday week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,352 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

really enjoyed the day but got charged 5 euro for sausage and chips outside the stadium and only got 1 sausage lol

stingy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement