Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

cul beag wrote: »
    Proud of that display today from Waterford. Can't get over the criticism on here to be honest. If we were told beforehand we'd be disappointed with a draw we'd have been laughed at. The best thing ever happened was Cadogan getting motd,there will be enough spoken about Aussie in the next 2 weeks without adding extra pressure on him. Some debut from him by the way. As for him going down with cramp I believe he suffers from,is it lack of sugar I think in his blood and not lack of fitness. Connors brilliant again on Horgan,it was only when he went out the field he dragged Cork back into it. We're not that far away at all and if we have the likes of Molumphy,darragh fives, Jamie Barron fit the next day we'll definitely add more strength and experience to the team. Maybe we're being harsh on d subs that came in aswell because if you look at it would they have hit 9 wides in the first half especially with the room that we had up top in that period? Watch the ball that was played into our inside line in the second half compared to the first and ask yourself the question was it as good? Definitely not. I honestly believe if Barry especially,got on some of those deliveries in the first half he would have added some scores. The delivery in the second half was alot more rushed and aimless compared to the precise balls in the first and we paid the price because of it.Cork have to take credit for that aswell because they stormed into the game in the second half and to be brutally honest if it went on for another 5 mins there was only one winner and it wasn't us!
    Have to be positive after that display,knowing we'll be well able for them again the next day. They're no world beaters whatsoever and with the the same attitude and belief we can definitely finish the job Sunday week.

Ya the subs were disappointing but the tide had turned against us at that stage, it can't be your day every day I suppose but it just happened that our subs didn't work and cork had more firepower. If Shane o Sullivan and Molumpy start the next day we may have Dunford and Richie foley in reserve, with Jamie Barron and Maurice knocking around as well as daragh and Shane fives, breatnach too has something to offer I think with today behind him he will shine more. It will be hard to pick the 20 never mind the 15

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

As a Cork supporter, we were a disgrace today. Waterford were by far the better team and deserved it, but not closing out a 9 point lead is poor whatever way you look at it.

As a Cork supporter, we were a disgrace today. Waterford were by far the better team and deserved it, but not closing out a 9 point lead is poor whatever way you look at it.

Maybe so but the same way we went 9 points up is the same way ye brought the 9 points back.
    Can't expect to have it all your own way over 70 minutes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Deise Hurler

Like a lot of other posters felt fairly pessimistic before the game but after today that mood has changed and am looking forward to the summer now. Still think we need to be more positive with our gameplan but that's for another day. For the replay I'd like too see Shane Fives in for coughlan in corner back. The rest of the defence was excellent. In midfield was very disappointed for Eddie Barrett, a player I like, with a great engine. However, which one of Molumphy, Foley or O ' Sullivan comes in for him the next day won't weaken the team at all. Up front Gleeson, Dillon, Mahony and Brian O Sullivan all deserve to start the next day and hopefully a few of our injured players are back and can help strengthen the attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

To come come back from 9 down is hardly disgraceful. Both teams served up a cracker and both teams will feel they have an advantage the next day. The only difference is Cork are supposed to be All Ireland contenders and Waterford are supposed to be in transition. Happily the media won't acknowledge Waterford because they all tipped a handy win for Cork and judging from Sunday game and me sky plus recording of match analysis they refuse to admit they were wrong about Waterford and still kept banging on about Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Slobbery wrote: »
    That was Shane fives not Daragh..

Why did you bring up the east west thing twice?

You are right the future is bright, isn't it great that lads are popping up from clashmore, ring, colligan and doing so well on the big stage.

The names you have mentioned that are injured it is some list alright, we will have a great squad if we get them all back..

Bennett's and Patrick Curran on the way, imagine how tantalising it must have been for them and a host of other young hurlers to see Aussie Gleeson today, the future certainly is blue and white, 2014 is just a stepping stone, better days are ahead

re the east west thing, i brought it up cos it needs to be said. I have no grievence at all with any player or club down west but there seems to be some green eyes down there towards the set up, but when you have anon ppl posting online what else would you expect.

there is genuine contention for the corner back spot, barry c wasnt his best today and fives (whichever one it may be) will be pushing hard, personally I would give Barry another whirl, anyone has followed club champ knows he has been easily bgunners best player last number of years and is only 24-25. Ultimately he could be the full back solution. Although that said and im one of lawlors sharpest critics, he hurled well again today, im still waiting for the day he comes unstuck but im waiting a while now.

I had completely forgotten about ray barry tbh such is the depth we have at our disposal and truth be told I am not too familiar with breathnach as a hurler & also lads there is a forgotten man here too with pace to burn that plays in the forwards has anyone even spotted whom we havent mentioned yet???

this team was always going to be a better team in the summer then the winter, they are natural hurlers and are pacey too more so then we give them credit for. No fear of them taking on their men and no fear of taking on shots too. Not one bit surprised with today knowing how canny derek is, am delighted but the job is only 50% done, if we got to croker this year I think it would be huge progress personally. This team is only going to improve too. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

Kudos to the Deise. As the saying goes, 'faint heart never won fair lady'. There was no faint heart wearing blue today. Sow it into 'em next day!

re the east west thing, i brought it up cos it needs to be said. I have no grievence at all with any player or club down west but there seems to be some green eyes down there towards the set up, but when you have anon ppl posting online what else would you expect.

there is genuine contention for the corner back spot, barry c wasnt his best today and fives (whichever one it may be) will be pushing hard, personally I would give Barry another whirl, anyone has followed club champ knows he has been easily bgunners best player last number of years and is only 24-25. Ultimately he could be the full back solution. Although that said and im one of lawlors sharpest critics, he hurled well again today, im still waiting for the day he comes unstuck but im waiting a while now.

I had completely forgotten about ray barry tbh such is the depth we have at our disposal and truth be told I am not too familiar with breathnach as a hurler & also lads there is a forgotten man here too with pace to burn that plays in the forwards has anyone even spotted whom we havent mentioned yet???

this team was always going to be a better team in the summer then the winter, they are natural hurlers and are pacey too more so then we give them credit for. No fear of them taking on their men and no fear of taking on shots too. Not one bit surprised with today knowing how canny derek is, am delighted but the job is only 50% done, if we got to croker this year I think it would be huge progress personally. This team is only going to improve too. :D:D

I thought breatnach was a stand out performer in the 2011 Munster minor final up in pair ui caoimh against Clare, on a tough day when things did to go with us, good ball winner and strong runner with the ball, played well against Clare last year U21 when we were under the kosh too i.e. Stands up and is counted when the chips are down

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

maybe so, couldnt argue for or against the chap, first time I saw him today really & looked bit nervy alright, surely be an improver the next day. well any takers on who the forgotten man is I am talking about??

PTH2009 wrote: »
    really enjoyed the day but got charged 5 euro for sausage and chips outside the stadium and only got 1 sausage lol

stingy

Match reply will be on at 3:30 Sunday 8th June. Five euro off the price of ticket which will cover the sausage and chip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

3ships wrote: »
    Match reply will be on at 3:30 Sunday 8th June. Five euro off the price of ticket which will cover the sausage and chip
    hahahahaha very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Redbullsh!t

Maybe ryan Donnelly might be in contention with the seniors for the next day if everything is sorted out... Or is his chance for the year gone?

A young minor player who scored possibly the best goal I have ever seen and was nominated for MOTM on his Championship Debut and despite being out on his feet for the last fifteen minutes in absorbing contest tries his best to stop a Cork all star goalkeeper sending the ball to the edge of the Waterford square in the dying seconds of another classic Munster hurling epic between Cork and Waterford ...... yet yet the Irish Independent go with this headline

http://www.independent.ie/sport/austin-gleeson-goes-from-hero-to-villain-as-cork-deny-waterford-victory-with-late-late-point-30303404.html

Lets all buy the examiner tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

A young minor player who scored possibly the best goal I have ever seen and was nominated for MOTM on his Championship Debut and despite being out on his feet for the last fifteen minutes in absorbing contest tries his best to stop a Cork all star goalkeeper sending the ball to the edge of the Waterford square in the dying seconds of another classic Munster hurling epic between Cork and Waterford ...... yet yet the Irish Independent go with this headline

http://www.independent.ie/sport/austin-gleeson-goes-from-hero-to-villain-as-cork-deny-waterford-victory-with-late-late-point-30303404.html

Lets all buy the examiner tomorrow

Absolute disgrace of an headline to be fair. Austin Gleeson definitely a bright prospect for Waterford for time to come. Excellent performance and great goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

dzilla wrote: »
    Ridiculous. Gleeson should have been man of the match. Cadogan was the darling of the rte commentary team and panelists but he wasnt man of the match.

Lets not get carried away. He did better than expected and showed flashes of brilliance but man of the match no way. Brick was my motm. One of the oldest felahs on the pitch but has the biggest engine. Kept us in it in the closing stages when others were out on their feet. What an athelete

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cbwfd

Cork to win the replay just the same as they were to win yesterday, good man. Underdog status wont suit us at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

kevin prendergast scored the point to put waterford a point up with seconds to go.......and people giving out about the old guard makes no sense

i must admit though there are shades of clare 2012 watching waterford today .........very much a team for the future austin gleason looks the real deal by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

News isnt good on eddie barrett. Dislocated kneecap apparantly. Judging by steven daniels similar injury he faces a long spell out. Devastating for the guy personally hed worked so hard all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

To come come back from 9 down is hardly disgraceful. Both teams served up a cracker and both teams will feel they have an advantage the next day. The only difference is Cork are supposed to be All Ireland contenders and Waterford are supposed to be in transition. Happily the media won't acknowledge Waterford because they all tipped a handy win for Cork and judging from Sunday game and me sky plus recording of match analysis they refuse to admit they were wrong about Waterford and still kept banging on about Cork.

Sorry, disgraceful was too strong. I was just very disappointed with the attitude especially in the first half. Maybe it was Waterford's good play that forced it to look like that.
    dzilla wrote: »
    Ridiculous. Gleeson should have been man of the match. Cadogan was the darling of the rte commentary team and panelists but he wasnt man of the match.

Watched the game again, and Cadogan was outstanding. It may have been a tight call but it's in no way ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Where are posters on the Lawlor debate after yesterday?

• Advertisement

robopaddy wrote: »
    News isnt good on eddie barrett. Dislocated kneecap apparantly. Judging by steven daniels similar injury he faces a long spell out. Devastating for the guy personally hed worked so hard all year.

Faces a while out alright but Daniels shattered his patella so that was a much more serious injury, in saying that eddies season is over, talking possibly 6 months, Daniels has been in recovery for 12 months and still has time to go.

Barrett tried to play on, actually got involved in the play which may have led to a score (I will have to watch it on tv)
    Respect!

I thought lawlor did all that was asked of him, minded the house very well, see how quiet harnedy was

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Slobbery wrote: »
    Faces a while out alright but Daniels shattered his patella so that was a much more serious injury, in saying that eddies season is over, talking possibly 6 months, Daniels has been in recovery for 12 months and still has time to go.

Barrett tried to play on, actually got involved in the play which may have led to a score (I will have to watch it on tv)
    Respect!

Feared the worst for Barrett when I saw him on the pitch post match with his leg in a cast and on crutches. Gutted for the chap, awful thing to happen on your first start in the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I was fuming coming out of Thurles on the final whistle and me bother was laughin over it cos on the way in I didn't give us a snowballs chance in hell. It's a shame we didn't close it out but the future looks bright.

Lawlor was class, slipped out two very well picked passes to wing backs under pressure that let us launch attacks. Very assured, and when we sit so deep defensively in that kind of system it suits him down to the ground. If him and Brick are solid then that confidence spreads to the lads around them and we don't look shaky. Shame about the goal we let in but it was such a mess it's hard to blame anyone for that, serious save by O'Keeffe for it though!

Pride restored and a great performance, but the same failings as last year for me lads! We were well on top and should have closed it out, we were well on top vs Clare and Kilkenny last year and also couldn't close it out. On the positive side, this year we've got a few more players showing in the forwards though, which is encouraging. If we play this type of system and manage to get so much space in the forwards I don't understand why we send on Pender to chase ball, Donnelly or someone with a bit of pace would have suited the situation better and put more pressure on the Cork defense.

Lastly, Gleeson was dead on his feet at the end. He had the helmet off lying on the ground at one stage and seemed to be in serious distress at the time and the ref played on. Whistled for Soky to hit the puckout and Cork won it and sent it back over the bar. A Wexford player was down last year in the Clare game with a snapped cruciate and the same happened where the ref played on, where's the regard for player welfare there? Thankfully Ozzy was okay, but he should prob have been subbed off at that stage as he was clearly struggling.

Mullane article in the Indo

http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/mullane-this-emerging-waterford-team-deserves-backing-from-the-fans-30304318.html
    This emerging Waterford team deserves backing from the fans

LAST week I expressed my hope that Waterford would throw off the shackles in Thurles and have a go at Cork. And what we got from the team in Thurles was a performance that almost dumped the Rebels out of the Munster championship.

Waterford played a nice brand of hurling and what was most pleasing for me was how the young lads stood up to the challenge.

Austin Gleeson scored a goal reminiscent of Eoin Kelly's glorious strike against Cork in the 2004 Munster final and it was a dream debut for him.

Tadhg de Burca was very solid at half-back and young Colin Dunford showed up well for 50 minutes and was probably a bit unlucky to be taken off.

I predicted that there wouldn't be a whole lot in this game and that, perhaps, Waterford could even shade it – and I was nearly proven right.

disappointed

I was really disappointed during the week by comments from Babs Keating when he talked about 'poor old Waterford' and predicted a hiding from Cork.

And yet there we were, nine points up and with the game for the taking.

Bill Cooper's goal for Cork was a crucial score, shortly after Austin's strike at the other end.

If we could have held out for just a little longer and not conceded, I think we would have gone on to win it, because Jimmy Barry-Murphy stated after the game that Cork were below par again.

They took their league form into the championship and you could almost foresee what was going to happen.

Coming from Division 1B to championship pace, they were slow out of the blocks and it took them a while to get to the pitch of it, almost all of 50 minutes. Eddie Barrett's injury is another blow for Waterford, a dislocated knee at a time when he was going about his business in an efficient manner at midfield.

Waterford were winning almost all of the battles around the pitch but unfortunately we were only six points up at half-time, when it should have been nine or 10.

Cork's forwards had been non-existent bar Alan Cadogan, who had a fantastic debut. What a find he is and he was the one player keeping the Rebels in touch.

In the second half, Aidan Walsh bombed into the game and he's going to be a massive plus with more hurling under his belt.

Waterford probably ran out of steam near the end, just when I was looking forward to counting the dollars after availing of the massive 10/1 on Waterford to be ahead at half-time and full-time.

Have Waterford missed the boat? I don't think so, especially with Shane O'Sullivan, Stephen Molumphy, Darragh Fives and, hopefully, Maurice Shanahan to come back. Cork will feel they have room for improvement, too, and had Stephen O'Keeffe not pulled off a brilliant save from Cadogan, it could have been the Leesiders celebrating a win.

Another crucial switch for Cork was moving Patrick Horgan to the half- forward line. He was nullified by Noel Connors inside, but really grew into the game when he moved out the field. There was some debate about the awarding of that late free. From where I was sitting, Austin might have clipped Anthony Nash, but it was a small bit on the soft side.

On the balance of play, then, probably a fair result, but Cork will start as favourites for the replay.

Waterford fans can start believing again, but I would hope that a bigger support turns up for the replay.

People's expectations were pretty low, but this is a young, emerging team and the players deserve backing. I thought Pauric Mahony showed great leadership, Brian O'Sullivan was very good and the elder statesmen Kevin Moran and 'Brick' Walsh were solid throughout.

Those players, along with the young lads already mentioned, should provide Waterford with reasons to be optimistic ahead of the replay.

Cork will feel that they can improve for the replay, but if we get a couple of players back, we'll benefit big time.

Elsewhere, I was really surprised by Antrim's victory over Laois. A series of games will stand Antrim and Laois in good stead as they look ahead to big fixtures against Wexford and Galway next weekend.

Have to agree with him, it was very disappointing yesterday to see so few around Thurles and in the ground itself also. I can understand things are tough financially, prices are a fiver cheaper next day so hopefully more will go along.

cant watch this enough :)

gleesongoal.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Tramore84

There is no east west issue - we are a small county - and we need to pull together. The squad showed today they are united - let's get behind them. An Rinn, Colligan, Tourin, Clashmore all represented on the panel yesterday - rightfully so as the hurling talent is there and more to come. Leave the boundaries to the politicians. Darragh Fives skipped passed 3 KK players to score a point last year in the qualifier game in Thurles - you'll recognise him when he plays again next hopefully!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

One of them here. Lawlor didn't put a foot wrong. Interesting to see what way Cork line up again the next day. Hopefully they don't put Cadogan in at full forward, because he looked unmarkable yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Ropaire wrote: »
    Lastly, Gleeson was dead on his feet at the end. He had the helmet off lying on the ground at one stage and seemed to be in serious distress at the time and the ref played on. Whistled for Soky to hit the puckout and Cork won it and sent it back over the bar. A Wexford player was down last year in the Clare game with a snapped cruciate and the same happened where the ref played on, where's the regard for player welfare there? Thankfully Ozzy was okay, but he should prob have been subbed off at that stage as he was clearly struggling.

We didnt have any subs left. He was injured and couldnt run (though he tried a few times). Thats why he was left in full forward. BAsically spent the last 5/10 minutes with 14 men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

We didnt have any subs left. He was injured and couldnt run (though he tried a few times). Thats why he was left in full forward. BAsically spent the last 5/10 minutes with 14 men

I thought Shane Walsh was subbed off after it was obvious Gleeson was feeling it, but I could be wrong. He had some game up to that point too, and the fact he was still trying to play on while obviously bolloxed is another reason that Independent headline is a joke!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement