Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

We didnt have any subs left. He was injured and couldnt run (though he tried a few times). Thats why he was left in full forward. BAsically spent the last 5/10 minutes with 14 men
    Ropaire wrote: »
    I thought Shane Walsh was subbed off after it was obvious Gleeson was feeling it, but I could be wrong. He had some game up to that point too, and the fact he was still trying to play on while obviously bolloxed is another reason that Independent headline is a joke!

Correct we had no subs left, however its also correct that Shane Walsh was subbed off even though it was clear for at least 5 mins before that Gleeson wasnt right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Not sure whether I'm delighted with the performance and the result, or furious about letting a 9 point 2nd half lead slip.

Clare were lambasted by their supporters until their short passing game finally clicked around this time last year. Maybe something similar will happen to Waterford.

At times the game reminded me of the Champions League final on Sat night. Waterford, like Athletico, were hassling and harrying their guts out, but ran out of steam. We're fortunate enough to get a replay I feel, we were out on our feet for the last 10 mins.

The squad is exceptionally thin at the moment. Lads like Dunford, Breathnach and Coughlan look a bit off the pace right now. Dillon, S.Walsh and Foley, while all using their experience well, weren't fully fit. The game yesterday and another two weeks prep will do them good. O'Sullivan coming back another big addition.

Expect a far better performance from Cork the next day out. They're quite clever on the line, and they'll have analysed all of our weaknesses. Waterford will need to step it up again if they want to get a result.

Also - very poor analysis by RTE. Marty Morrissey was getting totally carried away by Gleeson's sideline cut. He hit 4-5 bad wides in the first half, which were overlooked. Credit to him for his 2nd half goal though - outstanding. However, Gleeson appears to want to see his name up in lights, needs to be a bit cuter at times. Also felt Duignan was having little cuts at Waterford wherever he could. When Mahony scored a long distance free he said "the sliotars are all a bit lighter these days alright" - no need for it.

Paddypower have Cork as 1/3 favs for the replay with Waterford 11/4 to win. Great stuff, will suit us completely to be big outsiders again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

hardybuck wrote: »
    Not sure whether I'm delighted with the performance and the result, or furious about letting a 9 point 2nd half lead slip.

Clare were lambasted by their supporters until their short passing game finally clicked around this time last year. Maybe something similar will happen to Waterford.

At times the game reminded me of the Champions League final on Sat night. Waterford, like Athletico, were hassling and harrying their guts out, but ran out of steam. We're fortunate enough to get a replay I feel, we were out on our feet for the last 10 mins.

The squad is exceptionally thin at the moment. Lads like Dunford, Breathnach and Coughlan look a bit off the pace at the moment. Dillon, S.Walsh and Foley, while all using their experience well, weren't fully fit. The game yesterday and another two weeks prep will do them good. O'Sullivan coming back another big addition.

Expect a far better performance from Cork the next day out. Their quite clever on the line, and they'll have analysed all of our weaknesses. Waterford will need to step it up again if they want to get a result.

Also - very poor analysis by RTE. Marty Morrissey was getting totally carried away by Gleeson's sideline cut. He hit 4-5 bad wides in the first half, which were overlooked. Credit to him for his 2nd half goal though - outstanding. However, Gleeson appears to want to see his name up in lights, needs to be a bit cuter at times. Also felt Duignan was having little cuts at Waterford wherever he could. When Mahony scored a long distance free he said "the sliotars are all a bit lighter these days alright" - no need for it.

Think you're being harsh on Gleeson tbh. Yes he hit wides when maybe there were other options but you have to factor in age and inexperience.
    It was his championship debut and senior championship is a massive step up from underage or league. Decision making is bound to be hit and miss for a while,in time that's something that you'd hope will be worked out og his game as he gets more games.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Really Happy with the performance yesterday.. I felt we could give them a real go but i was worried about being overran in the last 15 mins which to be fair bar their purple patch we managed to stemmed the tide in the last 10 mins which for me was really pleasing and shows that the group as a whole are really united.. Momentum like that for the side chasing down a lead is incredibly difficult to stop but they managed it well to stay in the game..

Media going on about Waterford's apparent lack of fitness is a worry which i really don't agree with.. You had a 3rd of the side playing its first championship game and the nervous energy they would have used in the build up would have taken a bit out of them coinciding with the workrate they put in for 50 minutes it was near on impossible to keep it up.. The problem we had was we were bringing on more inexperience to replace them and a lot of the time subs dont really pay off as it can be difficult to get into the flow of it.. Also Fellas at that age don't have the aerobic fitness of the majority of the cork side which is average around 25/26 but will develop in time.. They also don't have the experience of pacing themselves as the likes of Brick Moran Connors who were motoring just as hard in the last 10.

The next day hopefully with a few more back from injury means our bench will have little more firepower in the same situation arises.. If the game was on next saturday i would say our chance is slim simply due to the fact it will take all week for the young kids to get themselves right (hope they were in the sea this morning) but two weeks is plenty and i think them guys will have learned a ton from it and the rash shooting at times they'll adjust that as you can see all the new breed have a confidence and intelligence about their play.

Lawlor again yesterday he defies all the thoughts i have about him at full back and was really solid again yesterday did his job well so if he does have a bad one i think you can't jump down his throat cause 1 bad in 10/15 really good just becomes petty so i was completely wrong and long my his form continue..

• Advertisement

Hidalgo wrote: »
    Think you're being harsh on Gleeson tbh. Yes he hit wides when maybe there were other options but you have to factor in age and inexperience.
    It was his championship debut and senior championship is a massive step up from underage or league. Decision making is bound to be hit and miss for a while,in time that's something that you'd hope will be worked out og his game as he gets more games.

I was saying the same thing when he was a minor. People were saying he was the next Ken McGrath, and he was trying to play like him. I can remember a lot of show boating in the first half of the AI semi final in particular, before knuckling down in the 2nd half.

The kid clearly has ability. The senior figures on and off the pitch need to communicate to him and work on the decision making element of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hidalgo wrote: »

This pretty much. He's only a few weeks over being a minor again this year. Great player but he is still a kid. He'll grow and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Not sure how to feel after that game. We could equally have won and lost. If Kilkenny were 9 points up against Cork at the same stage we were yesterday they would have won by 20 points. However before the game even though Cork are no world beaters I thought we would lose by 7 or 8 points.

Overall great performance against the odds from the lads. Soky as usual was brilliant as ever at shotstopping. The tactic of using short puckouts were overused and more often than not didn't give the forwards clean ball. Also there were far too many puckouts to the left in the second half when Cadogan was causing havoc. If Cork won the ball, it came straight back into that corner.

Noelie model of consistency as always. Lawlors form defies logic given he is nearly always injured outside of championship. A rock. Coughlan had a tough debut but to be fair Cadogan was on fire and Shane Fives didn't fare much better on him.

Tadgh de Burke was brilliant on his debut. Nagle proved the doubters wrong again and popped up with 2 great points. Brick was Mr consistency. Moran was ok but expected a bit more from him. Feel for Barrett he was very busy in the first 20 mins and hopefully he recovers quickly. Foley struggled a bit fitness wise but couldn't fault him for effort. I'd expect Shane Sullivan or Molumphy to slot into midfield the next day.

Dunford was very willing but just not quite ready for this level yet.. Paudie Mahony was a real leader yesterday. Fantastic on frees and worked hard in open play and popped up with a few crucial points. I think people are hyping up Ozzie a bit too much. He has incredible potential and reminds me of Eoin Kelly a bit. He scored an incredible goal and got a good sideline but he also shot from mad angles. He is a little raw yet but its great to see a forward that has that bit of cockiness and isn't afraid to go for the score at the same time. One of the big issues with our forwards the past few years is they are afraid to take their own score and keep looking to pass on the responsibility.

Jake comes in and out of games a bit too much for my liking but got a great point on Cahalane. Shane Walsh, you either play him full forward or don't play him. Not sure he was fully fir yesterday. Brian O'Sullivan when he gets space is brilliant, the big issue is he is still too easily brushed off the ball in the 50/50's. He was very good in the last 10 minutes especially.

Sorry for rambling on a bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Thanks for saving me a post Deisedude. The only thing I would add is that we could get more from Dunford if he carried the ball rather than trying to offload immediately. At worst he should have drawn a few frees if he used his speed.

Moving on to the repay it is great to see all the mainstream media reports are reporting the game from a Cork point of view as usual. There will be a few platitudes towards us and then the warning that the weaker counties need to take their chance the first time. I totally agree with this, our last three replays versus Cork were the Munster Final in 2010, AI Qtr Final in 2007 and Munster Semi in 1989, all won by the Deise.

With another fortnight to bring back Molumphy, Fives, Barron, O'Halleron etc, O'Sullivan back from suspension and general fitness levels all round plus a few tweaks to the plan (maybe move Gleeson around less given his propensity to cramp?) I can definitely see improvement in Waterford. Can Cork say they same?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭blue note

Deise Vu wrote: »
    With another fortnight to bring back Molumphy, Fives, Barron, O'Halleron etc, O'Sullivan back from suspension and general fitness levels all round plus a few tweaks to the plan (maybe move Gleeson around less given his propensity to cramp?) I can definitely see improvement in Waterford. Can Cork say they same?

There is definitely loads of room for improvement with the Cork team. They played badly for most of the match. Those same players are capable of much more and will be looking to prove it the next day.

That said, considering some of the players we have to come back and the performance we put in, I'm optimistic. Far more than I was on Sunday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Would just like to comment on Shane Walsh general performance. He worked really hard got a great score and would like him to stay closer to goal. But for me yesterday his movement at times was brilliant particularly for Gleesons goal. His rune caused the hole for Ozzie to exploit taking two cork players out of it. If we can keep him fit and use his brain and Mahony's who again i though was exceptional with the young lads energy and pace we have a froward line to contend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

I can't get over the amount of injuries we've sustained this year. I've never seen anything like it

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

blueflame wrote: »
    Would just like to comment on Shane Walsh general performance. He worked really hard got a great score and would like him to stay closer to goal. But for me yesterday his movement at times was brilliant particularly for Gleesons goal. His rune caused the hole for Ozzie to exploit taking two cork players out of it. If we can keep him fit and use his brain and Mahony's who again i though was exceptional with the young lads energy and pace we have a froward line to contend

Completely agree with this.. His Movement is always his best attribute

• Registered Users Posts: 17 amurphysboy

blue note wrote: »
    There is definitely loads of room for improvement with the Cork team. They played badly for most of the match. Those same players are capable of much more and will be looking to prove it the next day.

That said, considering some of the players we have to come back and the performance we put in, I'm optimistic. Far more than I was on Sunday morning.
    have to agree with this statement but can we really expect cork to put in a performance like the first half again - really need to start the game as we finshed the 1st half

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Is Shane O Sullivans suspension up?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

deisedude wrote: »
    Not sure how to feel after that game. We could equally have won and lost. If Kilkenny were 9 points up against Cork at the same stage we were yesterday they would have won by 20 points. However before the game even though Cork are no world beaters I thought we would lose by 7 or 8 points.

Overall great performance against the odds from the lads. Soky as usual was brilliant as ever at shotstopping. The tactic of using short puckouts were overused and more often than not didn't give the forwards clean ball. Also there were far too many puckouts to the left in the second half when Cadogan was causing havoc. If Cork won the ball, it came straight back into that corner.

Noelie model of consistency as always. Lawlors form defies logic given he is nearly always injured outside of championship. A rock. Coughlan had a tough debut but to be fair Cadogan was on fire and Shane Fives didn't fare much better on him.

Tadgh de Burke was brilliant on his debut. Nagle proved the doubters wrong again and popped up with 2 great points. Brick was Mr consistency. Moran was ok but expected a bit more from him. Feel for Barrett he was very busy in the first 20 mins and hopefully he recovers quickly. Foley struggled a bit fitness wise but couldn't fault him for effort. I'd expect Shane Sullivan or Molumphy to slot into midfield the next day.

Dunford was very willing but just not quite ready for this level yet.. Paudie Mahony was a real leader yesterday. Fantastic on frees and worked hard in open play and popped up with a few crucial points. I think people are hyping up Ozzie a bit too much. He has incredible potential and reminds me of Eoin Kelly a bit. He scored an incredible goal and got a good sideline but he also shot from mad angles. He is a little raw yet but its great to see a forward that has that bit of cockiness and isn't afraid to go for the score at the same time. One of the big issues with our forwards the past few years is they are afraid to take their own score and keep looking to pass on the responsibility.

Jake comes in and out of games a bit too much for my liking but got a great point on Cahalane. Shane Walsh, you either play him full forward or don't play him. Not sure he was fully fir yesterday. Brian O'Sullivan when he gets space is brilliant, the big issue is he is still too easily brushed off the ball in the 50/50's. He was very good in the last 10 minutes especially.

Sorry for rambling on a bit!
    Couldn't disagree with much of that to be honest. I think there's more to come from us the next day. The debutants will gain in confidence from it and know if starting or called upon Sunday week won't be in awe of the occasion. Yes Aussie is pure raw talent at the moment but you can't teach the cockiness he has and with some fine tuning he can be coached into something special.

All we're hearing from a Cork perspective is how poor Harnedy,Lehane and McCarthy were but if you dissect our forward line Jake,Shane Walsh,and Dunford will be the first to admit they've had better days in Waterford shirts but in their defense 2 of them were only back from injury and one was making his senior debut. As said earlier if molumphy and darragh fives are fit it will be a big plus and definitely gives us options.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,352 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

the only thing im scared of is that we started the league playing good this year and we all knw what happend then.

Hopefully we stay consistant in the replay and after that.

Can see an much improved Cork team in the replay. Hoepfully we put up a good fight.

The 1st round of the qualifers are on the weekend of the 28/29th June. So if we win or lose the replay we will have time to regroup.

Are the county championship matches cancelled nxt weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Slobbery wrote: »
    Is Shane O Sullivans suspension up?

Yep, he'll be back the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Waterford cd

Who will / won't be available from the missing list for the replay apart from Philip Mahoney? How far away is Daniels? If we had him he would have slotted into corner back but it's a serious injury and will take him some time. I do not rate Shane Fives in the full back line, maybe in the half line but that's a strong line.
    Paudi was excellent yday. Everyone played their part and the experience will stand to them, we are building a great side and McGrath is a great young manager with an excellent back room team. Thank god Scully ain't around anymore we'd still have the lads running around bate'n tyres in training and trying to figure out what language Scully is speaking.
    Raving about McGrath??? One good performance wat about all the **** we played in the league against Kilkenny and others ?? Scully wasn't all that bad

Raving about McGrath??? One good performance wat about all the **** we played in the league against Kilkenny and others ?? Scully wasn't all that bad

Cork were relegated from the league last year, but were 20 seconds or so away from winning the All Ireland. The difference was that they had a legend at the helm, so nobody dared to criticise him.

• Advertisement

Time to step away from this thread for a few days I fear :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Motivator

Thank god Scully ain't around anymore we'd still have the lads running around bate'n tyres in training and trying to figure out what language Scully is speaking.

And just think, if the players hadn't shat the bag against Kilkenny last July you'd be passing a statue of Skully Ryan on the Quay everyday. The man did exactly what was asked of him in the job. Things didn't work out, leave it be.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

There was plenty McGrath knockers here the last few months.... Moving on, I dunno how cork were so highly rated, they are weaknesses in their team all over the field, I thought there was acres of space in the ff line yday would av liked to saw dunford inside with his pace or Ryan Donnelly we need a bit of pace in side with Brian Sullivan who had a right game yday

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

robopaddy wrote: »
    Lets not get carried away. He did better than expected and showed flashes of brilliance but man of the match no way. Brick was my motm. One of the oldest felahs on the pitch but has the biggest engine. Kept us in it in the closing stages when others were out on their feet. What an athelete
    and two clearances with the hurley

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭redlead

Ropaire wrote: »
    when most people wouldn't waste a fiver on a tank of petrol to travel up and watch the match. Disgraceful carry on.

Jaysus where are you getting your petrol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

There is an assumption that Cork can play much better than yesterday, a quite unfounded assumption. They struggled through division 1B and would not have won promotion but for Limerick slipping up against Offaly. They were beaten easily enough by Tipp in the 1/4 final. Other than history which counts for nothing, those who assume Cork will play much better have no foundation for that belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

You can't write off history. The history book may mentally affect the Dessies. They know the Langers got to a final not so long ago. Waterford have not. That is not to say Warerford have no chance but one would think with the experience Cork have that they should slide over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DeiseInExiles

Will the replay be on tv? Normally you'd assume any Munster hurling game would be but the throw in time of half 3 makes me think it mightn't.

Will the replay be on tv? Normally you'd assume any Munster hurling game would be but the throw in time of half 3 makes me think it mightn't.

Nah wont be on. 2 games already scheduled for that day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DeiseInExiles

KevIRL wrote: »
    Nah wont be on. 2 games already scheduled for that day.

I do seem to remember in 2007 that RTÉ showed Waterford-Cork on one station and the Dublin-Meath replay on the other. I wonder is this possible for the 8th. Or else the broadcaster (either RTÉ or Sky) not showing the 4 o'clock game could show it if there isn't a problem with exclusivity.

Just clutching at straws really here cause I won't be in the country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement