Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

First of all, congratulations to the Waterford team and the team management which put out a side which was highly motivated, well drilled and organised, and played with a high level of skill. This was indeed a great boost to all Waterford hurling followers. The newcomers did themselves proud and while their decision-making and shot selection were not always the best, these are issues which will improve with experience.

We should have been further ahead at half time, but after Austin Gleeson's wonder goal and Waterford's follow-up points, if Cork had not got their rather fortunate goal when they did, it is doubtful if they would have come back the way they did. However, as they gained momentum, with ten minutes left I would have been quite happy with a draw. In those ten minutes Waterford dug deep to stem the tide, with Brick Walsh an enormous calming and defiant influence, as he repeatedly won possession and carried the ball out of defence. Those who have been telling me that he is finished got their answer here.

The big pluses for Waterford were not only the tremendous debut performances of Austin Gleeson and Tadhg de Búrca, but (to my mind) best-ever championship performances by Brian O'Sullivan and Páuric Mahony (who I thought should have got the man of the match award).

For all the good work the mentors did before and on the day, they will readily acknowledge that they made some mistakes which need to be rectified for the replay. Cork obviously had worked a lot on sending good low ball at every opportunity into Alan Cadogan. He was on fire on the day and I don't think there was much Barry Coughlan could have done in the situation. Cork also gave a good supply to Conor Lehane in the second half and on another day he would have punished us more.

Part of the problem here was that Stephen O'Keeffe (presumably following instructions) persisted in hitting puckouts out to the left in the second half, targetting Pauric Mahony. While the latter did win a couple of good balls, for the most part Cork dominated on these puckouts which put them into a position to feed Cadogan and Lehane. One of the reasons Waterford were able to stem the tide was a switch late in the game to sending puckouts down the right hand side (again, I presume O'Keeffe was acting on instructions).

Overall, Waterford won just three of nine puckouts sent down the left, while they won seven of ten puckouts sent down the right. Aidan Walsh is particularly strong under the high ball, and the instruction for the replay should be for O'Keeffe to keep his long puckouts away from wherever Walsh is located. Waterford also made good use of short or directed puckouts during the game. There were ten of these in all, and in most cases they retained possession from the follow-on plays following these puckouts.

Waterford should also have put a man-marker on Patrick Horgan when he moved out the field in the second half. I would have deployed Tadhg de Búrca for this task, moving Noel Connors onto Cadogan and switching Coughlan/Fives to the right corner.

Waterford's substitution policy in the second half went seriously awry. With several players suffering from cramps, at least one substitute should have been kept in reserve as an injury replacement. We ended up with 14 effective players on the pitch and ran the risk of further aggravating Austin Gleeson's injury by leaving him on the pitch. He, rather than Shane Walsh, should have been taken off when Seamus Prendergast came on.

The replacement of Colin Dunford was also a mistake, in my view. Ray Barry did not make one play following his introduction. Dunford had made eight plays by the time he was replaced, and while most of these were in the first half, his good run and pass had led to a Waterford score shortly before he was taken off. While his option-taking and shooting were poor, he was still causing a lot of problems for the Cork defence.

The Waterford mentors also need to do more work on eradicating blind clearances from the Waterford half back line. Cork clearly were well drilled in having players in support of those in possession in this area, and in having the latter give the short pass rather than hitting the ball long and blind. I counted twelve instances of blind clearances like this from Waterford which were gobbled up by unmarked Cork defenders.

I did a count of the number of plays each Waterford player made and it makes for interesting reading. At the game itself, I thought Kevin Moran was quiet enough, which I put down to Cork concentrating on playing the wings and avoiding playing the ball down the middle (also a feature of their intermediate team). In fact, Moran had more plays than any other Waterford player, at 17, of which 10 came in the second half. Next in line was Brick Walsh with 15 plays (nine in the second half), followed by Jamie Nagle and Pauric Mahony with 13 each, Austin Gleeson with 12 (10 in the first half) and Brian O'Sullivan with 11. Richie Foley also got on the ball a lot (10 plays) but he tended to waste possession through poor striking and other errors.

I counted 33 instances of errors and poor play (not including shots that went wide). A lot of these were down to inexperience but there were also a lot of errors on the part of more established members of the team. We will have to cut down on these if we are to make progress. I have listed below the number of plays by each player in the first and second halves and in total (these exclude puckouts and frees).

I think the same team deserves to start the next day, with Shane O'Sullivan coming in for Eddie Barrett. In the likely event of some players malfunctioning, the mentors need to be quick to use a bench which presumably will include Darragh Fives and Stephen Molumphy. I would like to see Paudie Prendergast and Shane McNulty moving up the list of potential substitutes, with Donie Breathnach also hopefully being given another opportunity to show what he is capable of.

As regards the intermediates, I thought the defence did quite well until they were swamped late on with Cork owning the ball in the midfield area and Peter O'Brian doing woeful damage, especially when he moved to full forward. What has become of DJ Foran who was listed as a substitute but was not brought on even when Waterford were desperately in need of a ballwinner in the closing stages? The substitutes Waterford did bring on were ineffectual and Tommy Connors was very disappointing. It was a mistake not playing Michael Harney in defence as he clearly is better facing the dropping ball.

It is a pity about Ryan Donnelly being removed from the senior panel, as his two goals here, and one goal assist, show what he is capable of.

Play count: Stephen O'Keeffe (2/5/7); Noel Connors (5/1/6); Liam Lawlor (4/2/6); Jamie Nagle (8/5/13); Kevin Moran (7/10/17); Tadhg de Búrca (8/4/12); Brick Walsh (6/9/15); Eddie Barrett (2); Colin Dunford (7/1/8); Pauric Mahony (6/7/13); Austin Gleeson (10/2/12); Brian O'Sullivan (6/5/11); Shane Walsh (1/3/4); Jake Dillon (7/3/10); Richie Foley (4/6/10); Shane Fives (4); Ray Barry (0); Donie Breathnach (3); Seamus Prendergast (5).

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I have to say GiveitFong that I look forward to your posts but I'm not convinced by this play count thing. How does management know that Ray Barry won't make any 'play' before they bring him on, the last time he came on in Thurles he scored 1-3. Personally I was very happy to see him introduced, Colin Dunford had a very good Debut but bottom line - no scores. Ray Barry as we have seen can take score yet the 2 delivers that went into him were awkward to say the least.
    Paudie Mahony you say was MOTM then why not give him the ball.
    T de B cannot mark everyone, he actually went score for score with Lehane an incredible outcome from that match up. Take him away from Lehane and the Cork lad might have had a field day.
    Moran topped the play count because he was Centre back and that's where the action is. For me Brick would have had a much bigger influence from CB and Moran from midfield.

Not having a go, just don't trust statistics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

I wonder is there any hope of Ryan Donnelly being brought back onto the senior panel? he wasn't dropped because of lack of ability (just my opinion) or an injury so (or else why would he play with the inter) hopefully things can be ironed out cause we could do with him, he knows where the posts are and is well able to win his own ball

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Was he dropped? I presumed he was just made available to the intermediates as he had a slim chance of getting on in the Senior game so it made sense and is still part of training squad.

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Was he dropped? I presumed he was just made available to the intermediates as he had a slim chance of getting on in the Senior game so it made sense and is still part of training squad.

I'm hearing he was dropped, maybe he wasn't showing up well in training lately but I think it is a wrong decision, I dont know if he is still on the training panel - hopefully he is, he would have been a great man to bring in Sunday, fair play to Seamus for scoring the last point but I think a fast pacy player would have been better suited to that game with the system we were playing at the time, you are up against an extra defender and Seamus just doesn't have pace as was clear to see. none of our subs worked but I think Donnelly would have been perfect for the last ten minutes, his performance with the intermediates should he is fast, good to the win the ball and he is an intelligent player and can give off a good pass as well as take a score.

he didnt play well in the club championship maybe he just lost form at the wrong time, I dont think he will play a role this summer now though, I cant remember anyone getting dropped to the intermediates to make it back on the seniors and get game time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Giveitfong wrote: »
    First of all, congratulations to the Waterford team and the team management which put out a side which was highly motivated, well drilled and organised, and played with a high level of skill. This was indeed a great boost to all Waterford hurling followers. The newcomers did themselves proud and while their decision-making and shot selection were not always the best, these are issues which will improve with experience.

We should have been further ahead at half time, but after Austin Gleeson's wonder goal and Waterford's follow-up points, if Cork had not got their rather fortunate goal when they did, it is doubtful if they would have come back the way they did. However, as they gained momentum, with ten minutes left I would have been quite happy with a draw. In those ten minutes Waterford dug deep to stem the tide, with Brick Walsh an enormous calming and defiant influence, as he repeatedly won possession and carried the ball out of defence. Those who have been telling me that he is finished got their answer here.

The big pluses for Waterford were not only the tremendous debut performances of Austin Gleeson and Tadhg de Búrca, but (to my mind) best-ever championship performances by Brian O'Sullivan and Páuric Mahony (who I thought should have got the man of the match award).

For all the good work the mentors did before and on the day, they will readily acknowledge that they made some mistakes which need to be rectified for the replay. Cork obviously had worked a lot on sending good low ball at every opportunity into Alan Cadogan. He was on fire on the day and I don't think there was much Barry Coughlan could have done in the situation. Cork also gave a good supply to Conor Lehane in the second half and on another day he would have punished us more.

Part of the problem here was that Stephen O'Keeffe (presumably following instructions) persisted in hitting puckouts out to the left in the second half, targetting Pauric Mahony. While the latter did win a couple of good balls, for the most part Cork dominated on these puckouts which put them into a position to feed Cadogan and Lehane. One of the reasons Waterford were able to stem the tide was a switch late in the game to sending puckouts down the right hand side (again, I presume O'Keeffe was acting on instructions).

Overall, Waterford won just three of nine puckouts sent down the left, while they won seven of ten puckouts sent down the right. Aidan Walsh is particularly strong under the high ball, and the instruction for the replay should be for O'Keeffe to keep his long puckouts away from wherever Walsh is located. Waterford also made good use of short or directed puckouts during the game. There were ten of these in all, and in most cases they retained possession from the follow-on plays following these puckouts.

Waterford should also have put a man-marker on Patrick Horgan when he moved out the field in the second half. I would have deployed Tadhg de Búrca for this task, moving Noel Connors onto Cadogan and switching Coughlan/Fives to the right corner.

Waterford's substitution policy in the second half went seriously awry. With several players suffering from cramps, at least one substitute should have been kept in reserve as an injury replacement. We ended up with 14 effective players on the pitch and ran the risk of further aggravating Austin Gleeson's injury by leaving him on the pitch. He, rather than Shane Walsh, should have been taken off when Seamus Prendergast came on.

The replacement of Colin Dunford was also a mistake, in my view. Ray Barry did not make one play following his introduction. Dunford had made eight plays by the time he was replaced, and while most of these were in the first half, his good run and pass had led to a Waterford score shortly before he was taken off. While his option-taking and shooting were poor, he was still causing a lot of problems for the Cork defence.

The Waterford mentors also need to do more work on eradicating blind clearances from the Waterford half back line. Cork clearly were well drilled in having players in support of those in possession in this area, and in having the latter give the short pass rather than hitting the ball long and blind. I counted twelve instances of blind clearances like this from Waterford which were gobbled up by unmarked Cork defenders.

I did a count of the number of plays each Waterford player made and it makes for interesting reading. At the game itself, I thought Kevin Moran was quiet enough, which I put down to Cork concentrating on playing the wings and avoiding playing the ball down the middle (also a feature of their intermediate team). In fact, Moran had more plays than any other Waterford player, at 17, of which 10 came in the second half. Next in line was Brick Walsh with 15 plays (nine in the second half), followed by Jamie Nagle and Pauric Mahony with 13 each, Austin Gleeson with 12 (10 in the first half) and Brian O'Sullivan with 11. Richie Foley also got on the ball a lot (10 plays) but he tended to waste possession through poor striking and other errors.

I counted 33 instances of errors and poor play (not including shots that went wide). A lot of these were down to inexperience but there were also a lot of errors on the part of more established members of the team. We will have to cut down on these if we are to make progress. I have listed below the number of plays by each player in the first and second halves and in total (these exclude puckouts and frees).

I think the same team deserves to start the next day, with Shane O'Sullivan coming in for Eddie Barrett. In the likely event of some players malfunctioning, the mentors need to be quick to use a bench which presumably will include Darragh Fives and Stephen Molumphy. I would like to see Paudie Prendergast and Shane McNulty moving up the list of potential substitutes, with Donie Breathnach also hopefully being given another opportunity to show what he is capable of.

As regards the intermediates, I thought the defence did quite well until they were swamped late on with Cork owning the ball in the midfield area and Peter O'Brian doing woeful damage, especially when he moved to full forward. What has become of DJ Foran who was listed as a substitute but was not brought on even when Waterford were desperately in need of a ballwinner in the closing stages? The substitutes Waterford did bring on were ineffectual and Tommy Connors was very disappointing. It was a mistake not playing Michael Harney in defence as he clearly is better facing the dropping ball.

It is a pity about Ryan Donnelly being removed from the senior panel, as his two goals here, and one goal assist, show what he is capable of.

Play count: Stephen O'Keeffe (2/5/7); Noel Connors (5/1/6); Liam Lawlor (4/2/6); Jamie Nagle (8/5/13); Kevin Moran (7/10/17); Tadhg de Búrca (8/4/12); Brick Walsh (6/9/15); Eddie Barrett (2); Colin Dunford (7/1/8); Pauric Mahony (6/7/13); Austin Gleeson (10/2/12); Brian O'Sullivan (6/5/11); Shane Walsh (1/3/4); Jake Dillon (7/3/10); Richie Foley (4/6/10); Shane Fives (4); Ray Barry (0); Donie Breathnach (3); Seamus Prendergast (5).

Great to be able to stop/start the sky remote and go through the game with a fine tooth comb but unfortunately the lads didn't have that luxury on Sunday! You make it sound like a game on Xbox with this fella and that fella had so many plays and puckouts won and lost down a certain side,but its reality on the sidelines,not a game played with controls! Yes I understand fully the way stats operate and are a big part of the modern game but you're assumptions are based on just stats. What about games previously played ie challenge games,games behind closed doors? For example Gavin O Brien saw no action last Sunday but yet was very effective against both Tipp and Offaly in challenge games? Ryan Donnelly was dropped on this occasion because he decided a weekend in Liverpool with his girlfriend was more important than preparing for cork! Likelihood is he will be back again for the next day. Go back to the stats on Colin Dunford against offaly he scored 2-2 but was non existent against Tipp in the challenge game and very poor in the in house game the following week so if management were to click the controls on him after that he probably wouldn't have seen action at all last Sunday let alone start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Slobbery wrote: »
    I wonder is there any hope of Ryan Donnelly being brought back onto the senior panel? he wasn't dropped because of lack of ability (just my opinion) or an injury so (or else why would he play with the inter) hopefully things can be ironed out cause we could do with him, he knows where the posts are and is well able to win his own ball
    He went to Liverpool for a weekend at the start of the month.....he was dropped as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cleaboy boy

Donnelly rejoined the panel last night for training in Fraher Field.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

From what i have heard i think Ryan may have paid a hefty price for taking a weekend away. This being the case hopefully he has paid his price and the slate is wiped clean. Thought he had a decent league season for someone in his debut campaign.

If memory serves me right, the night we played Tipp in the opening round of the league, Ryan was played in an Under 21 challange played in Thurles before the Senior Game and had a stormer.

He is a young lad and if he did in fact make a bad choice, being left out for the weekend in my eyes is sufficient punishment. He definitely belongs on the senior panel I think he is a fast direct and agressive hurler and has a real goal potential about him. With the introduction of himself, Gleeson, Dunford & Breathnach to a panel that already contains youngsters like Dillon, Barron and Mahony and Gavin O'Brien (who i still have great faith in) and remember that Maurice and Brian O'Sullivan are still young also. Over the next three years we will hopefully add the likes of Stephen Bennett, Patrick Curran , Michael Kearney and possibly alot more, and please God we wil have a forward division to match or may even be superior to the likes of Mullane , Dan, Kelly, Flynn, Ken & Co,., Forgive me if I have left other poential lads out, there are so many who have the potnential I will never name them all

At that stage the lazy journalists who seldom give Waterford hurling its' true recognition, might open their eyes to the consistency of our county over the last 14 years and give credit where credit is due. Since around 2006 they have constantly reffered to us as a "county in transition" with not much coming through. You would swear when reading their tripe, that the 2002 Munster winning side had only recently retired, when in fact almost every year successive management had added a couple and lost a couple of players but have all the time remained exceptionally competitive.

For years now we have witnessed a succession of underage teams who have matched the skill and intensity of all comers. We have produced consistnently good backs over the years so the emergence of the likes of Pauric Mahony and DeBurca is never a surprise. These young lads have no fear or the jerseys of other counties. They are being added to battle hardened campaigners like Brick, Lawlor, Molumphy Moran, O'Sullivan, Connors & Pendergast. This year or even next year might be a little soon but we are developing a SERIOUSLY, SERIOUSLY talanted squad.

My word of advice is for us all to get behind them and give them every bit of support we can , asI believe the rollercoaster ride that took us all bey storm in 1998 with the Munster Final against Clare is about to take off faster than ever

Barrett is only out for 2 months...might see him again during the summer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Hslaw

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

In those ten minutes Waterford dug deep to stem the tide, with Brick Walsh an enormous calming and defiant influence, as he repeatedly won possession and carried the ball out of defence. Those who have been telling me that he is finished got their answer here.

WTF?!

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    He went to Liverpool for a weekend at the start of the month.....he was dropped as a result.

I was wondering is it his year over? like Dan under Gerald McCarthy or if there was a way back for him this year.

Looks like he is back training which is great

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

have a feeling this will be bricks last year with Waterford. Hopefully he mite stick around next year

Seamus Prendergast will deff go this year id say

Sure lets get this year over first.

For the replay i think JBM will have 2 cork players on Austin Gleeson

Thanks GiveItFong, Similiar to the system that An Molitoir used for analysing games when he was active on other websites and had his own blog, his system was more sophisticated with multipliers if a play was significant, it may tell a better story than above because Donie breatnach and seamie pender may not have ranked as high as shane walsh, even though they had a similar amount of plays they may not have been quality plays.
    it does highlight where we are strong and the guys who had a significant impact, and the subs that made no impact at all.
    Hopefully we are closer to full strength next time and may start shane osullivan, molumpy and D.Fives - and have richie foley, ryan donnelly, colin dunford and donie breatnach as impact players. I was use Dunford as an impact sub even though I thought he had a super debut, but I think he would make a great impact sub until he gains more experience.

my team for the next day
    SOK
    D. Fives Lawlor Connors
    De Burca Moran Nagle
    SOS Brick
    Gleeson Mahony Molumpy
    Dillon Shane Walsh Brain O'S

Subs to make a significant impact - Richie Foley, Colin Dunford, Ryan Donnelly, Donie Breathnach, one of Shane Fives or Coughlan my preference would be fives but not a whole lot in it based on how ineffective they both were in holding cadogan the last day

Was looking through a match programme last night of the Dungarvan colleges Harty Cup team from last year. In fairness the coach Darragh Duggan deserves a huge amount of credit. He had those players training before school and after their study finishes at 6pm. I think he's a fantastic coach and I'm looking forward to seeing how him and Peter Queally's u21 side get on this summer. Look at how the starting 15 are after turning out

Laurence Power
    Michael Cronin -Waterford Minor
    Brian Looby -
    Kealan Looby
    Tadhg Bourke - Waterford Senior + U21
    Kevin Daly - Waterford U21
    Tom Devine - Waterford U21
    Cormac Curran - Waterford Minor
    Colin Dunford - Waterford Senior +U21
    Cristoir Breathnach - Waterford Minor 2013 but suffered a leg injury
    Micheal Harney - Waterford U21
    Seamus Keating - Waterford U21
    Darragh Lyons - Waterford Minor
    Ryan Donnelly - Waterford Senior + U21
    Patrick Curran - Waterford Minor

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Was looking through a match programme last night of the Dungarvan colleges Harty Cup team from last year. In fairness the coach Darragh Duggan deserves a huge amount of credit. He had those players training before school and after their study finishes at 6pm. I think he's a fantastic coach and I'm looking forward to seeing how him and Peter Queally's u21 side get on this summer. Look at how the starting 15 are after turning out

Laurence Power
    Michael Cronin -Waterford Minor
    Brian Looby -
    Kealan Looby
    Tadhg Bourke - Waterford Senior + U21
    Kevin Daly - Waterford U21
    Tom Devine - Waterford U21
    Cormac Curran - Waterford Minor
    Colin Dunford - Waterford Senior +U21
    Cristoir Breathnach - Waterford Minor 2013 but suffered a leg injury
    Micheal Harney - Waterford U21
    Seamus Keating - Waterford U21
    Darragh Lyons - Waterford Minor
    Ryan Donnelly - Waterford Senior + U21
    Patrick Curran - Waterford Minor

Unbelievable team alright

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

relax, its a good team as good we have had, but dont worry quelly will find a way to make a dcikie out of it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

relax, its a good team as good we have had, but dont worry quelly will find a way to make a dcikie out of it....

Explain...??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

This is not a fair comment ..the same ****e on here last week about mcgrath. Give Quelly a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Is this the same man who managed the only U21 team to give Clare a game last year? The same man to win the county with a team nobody gave a chance to? The same man who brought Youghal to a Cork intermediate county final the year before?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

PTH2009 wrote: »
    have a feeling this will be bricks last year with Waterford. Hopefully he mite stick around next year

Seamus Prendergast will deff go this year id say

Sure lets get this year over first.

For the replay i think JBM will have 2 cork players on Austin Gleeson

I think the tactic is right put on a young guy for most of the match and then bring on seamus for the last twenty mins ..and it almost worked only for the interception he was through on goal . I think the forwards should run at the cork backs the next day as there is definetly goals to be got there. Maybe donnelly has a role to play here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Slobbery wrote: »
    my team for the next day
    SOK
    D. Fives Lawlor Connors
    De Burca Moran Nagle
    SOS Brick
    Gleeson Mahony Molumpy
    Dillon Shane Walsh Brain O'S

Subs to make a significant impact - Richie Foley, Colin Dunford, Ryan Donnelly, Donie Breathnach, one of Shane Fives or Coughlan my preference would be fives but not a whole lot in it based on how ineffective they both were in holding cadogan the last day

Personally, I Breathnach wasn't up to scratch for that level. Probably a bit too soon for him, and Dunford in fairness to him was thrown in at the deep end as well.

What's the story with Darragh Fives, the lad seems to be quite injury prone. What's the story with Molumphy - pulled hamstring? If he had the least severe pull we might have him available, but a grade 2 or a grade 3 would rule him out.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Personally, I Breathnach wasn't up to scratch for that level. Probably a bit too soon for him, and Dunford in fairness to him was thrown in at the deep end as well.

What's the story with Darragh Fives, the lad seems to be quite injury prone. What's the story with Molumphy - pulled hamstring? If he had the least severe pull we might have him available, but a grade 2 or a grade 3 would rule him out.

They trained on Friday before the Cork game but were not considered, another few weeks they should be right I hope.

Dara Fives does seem to break down alot alright.

I think that Breathnach has something to offer alright, we had alot of new faces and they couldnt all go well, Breathnach does look bad when trying to get the ball up one handed, but once it is in his hand he is a very strong runner and immediately turns and takes on his man hard with power and strength, he will come good and will win frees, he is a nightmare to mark.

these players are young, take Ray barry as an example, 1-3 against KK last year but things didnt fall for him Sunday, the next day Breathnach or Barry could have an impact and Gleeson or Dunford mightn't hit a ball, they are young players it happens, they will not have the consistency yet. one great game doesnt make a great hurler and one bad game doesnt make a bad one.

I think breathnach from watching him at minor and U21 offers us something different to any other forwards in the panel, I would question his decision making and shot selection at times, but hopefully that can be worked on and ironed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

dont feel need to explain, i dont think he has the tactical nous nor the coaching skills to improve players at inter county level, plus judging from his team selection there was a pretty big bias to his current club and an even bigger bias against another one of his former clubs. look trained under the man, he has rose tinted glasses and favorites when it comes to players and is something of mercenery at this stage, had more clubs then tiger woods. not to say he isnt a good coach at club level, which he is, but just not up to inter county.

i would be of the opinion the senior management should have a hand in the u21, give it to a dan or a frank flannery and let it feed into the senior.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DeiseInExiles

RTÉ streaming the game online it seems, happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

TGV wrote: »
    This is not a fair comment ..the same ****e on here last week about mcgrath. Give Quelly a chance
    Queally lads Queally!!
    At least spell it right!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

dont feel need to explain, i dont think he has the tactical nous nor the coaching skills to improve players at inter county level, plus judging from his team selection there was a pretty big bias to his current club and an even bigger bias against another one of his former clubs. look trained under the man, he has rose tinted glasses and favorites when it comes to players and is something of mercenery at this stage, had more clubs then tiger woods. not to say he isnt a good coach at club level, which he is, but just not up to inter county.

i would be of the opinion the senior management should have a hand in the u21, give it to a dan or a frank flannery and let it feed into the senior.

Yes you did need to explain. Why would you just put a derogatory remark and then not back it up, but at least you did that. Just as I thought you obviously have a personal grievance against the guy.

Ive heard a lot of positive things about him from lads that have played under him but your never going to keep everyone happy. Personally hes a better man at the helm than some of the jokers weve had over our minor and U21 teams over the past few years. Last years performance against Clare was a frustrating one but I definetly think there was enough in the performance for him to merit another year at it. We were there or thereabouts until a stupid red card but cant really blame management for that. I think he will have learned from last year and hooefully well see a more attack minded approach this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

RTÉ streaming the game online it seems, happy days

Would that be only for viewers in Ireland?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement