Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DeiseInExiles

Cake Man wrote: »
    Would that be only for viewers in Ireland?

Their tweet said worldwide I think

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭conditioned games

look trained under the man QUOTE]

Sounds like he dropped you from the team, saying Dan should be looking after them speaks volumes. Can see him managing the senior county team in years to come and if he does well with the U21's his stock will rise further.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭enoughtaken

Their tweet said worldwide I think

Worldwide. Great Service. Working in Finland at present so had to watch it here last Sunday. Was due home for a few days anyway the weekend of replay so happy days. The Finnish taught ice hockey was tough !!!!!!
    What a great performance from both management and team, I'm personally of the view that this team over the next 5 years can go the whole way. Serious talent coming through with a nice blend of experience players already there. U21 and Minor this year on there day a match for anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 courty08

Deise_2012 wrote: »
    Was looking through a match programme last night of the Dungarvan colleges Harty Cup team from last year. In fairness the coach Darragh Duggan deserves a huge amount of credit. He had those players training before school and after their study finishes at 6pm. I think he's a fantastic coach and I'm looking forward to seeing how him and Peter Queally's u21 side get on this summer. Look at how the starting 15 are after turning out

Laurence Power
    Michael Cronin -Waterford Minor
    Brian Looby -
    Kealan Looby
    Tadhg Bourke - Waterford Senior + U21
    Kevin Daly - Waterford U21
    Tom Devine - Waterford U21
    Cormac Curran - Waterford Minor
    Colin Dunford - Waterford Senior +U21
    Cristoir Breathnach - Waterford Minor 2013 but suffered a leg injury
    Micheal Harney - Waterford U21
    Seamus Keating - Waterford U21
    Darragh Lyons - Waterford Minor
    Ryan Donnelly - Waterford Senior + U21
    Patrick Curran - Waterford Minor

Brian Looby is on this years U21 panel

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭TGV

STIG83 wrote: »
    Queally lads Queally!!
    At least spell it right!!

Sorry :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

courty08 wrote: »
    Brian Looby is on this years U21 panel
    Sorry didn't know...I haven't seen any U21 game yet I was only going by the Intermediate and Senior panels

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Great to hear Maurice was back training Tues night. Special thanks should go to a former manager for his help. Hopefully see him back in action soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

cul beag wrote: »
    Great to hear Maurice was back training Tues night. Special thanks should go to a former manager for his help. Hopefully see him back in action soon.

good to see him back. Was it Davy Fitz that helped him, he seems like a nice person

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

I'd say Maurice had a pain in his back from carrying various Waterford and Lismore attacks for the last couple of years. Mullane said he was Waterfords best forward so I don't need to add anymore than that. The thoughts of having Maurice along with Daragh Fives, Molumphy, SOS, Jamie Barron and Brian O Halloran (again I might have made him up) and others to comeback warms the heart. Deise Abu

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

Maurice has been the best forward in club hurling since he was 18 he has massive potential it's like he's holding back or playing within himself or something when he's playing with Waterford, I know dan didn't come good til his late 20s hope Maurice can start showing his massive potential, soon, would be a real shot in the arm for the team if he could

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Maurice has been the best forward in club hurling since he was 18 he has massive potential it's like he's holding back or playing within himself or something when he's playing with Waterford, I know dan didn't come good til his late 20s hope Maurice can start showing his massive potential, soon, would be a real shot in the arm for the team if he could

Maurice hasn't got Dans pace, but ye he has massive potential, he just finds it harder to get away from backs at inter county

Slobbery wrote: »
    Maurice hasn't got Dans pace, but ye he has massive potential, he just finds it harder to get away from backs at inter county

I don't think dan had pace either but Maurice has longer strides and is more mobile and wirey than dan, taller too I reckon and has more hurling in him than dan - you'd swear dan was useless the way I'm goin on lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Was it Davy Fitz that helped him, he seems like a nice person

I dont know if your being sarcastic there Anyone that knows davy fitz as a person will tell you hes one of the kindest most generous people youll ever meet.
    We all know about his irritations on the sideline and behind a microphone but I just thought id say what ive heard as hecgeys a lot of slack particularly around these parts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Straight Talker

relax, its a good team as good we have had, but dont worry quelly will find a way to make a dcikie out of it....

This is the same poster that was blabbering on about a united county on sunday evening.Yet here he is a couple days later with his personal remarks and character assasinations.I can bloody well tell you from personal experience that Peter Quelly is an excellent manager.His CV speaks for itself.I suppose there is a bit of agenda towards Peter Queally in certain sections of Waterford hurling because he is not part of some clique or something.Just ask the last manager of the senior team.Oh and if that last sentence sounded like a dig at Derek McGrath then it wasn't intended but the contradictions and double standards on your part just had to be pointed out.

Cork 1990 All Ireland Senior Hurling and Football Champions

• Registered Users Posts: 4 The wanderly wagon

I think everyone here needs to watch what they say here and respect peoples privacy!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

I think everyone here needs to watch what they say here and respect peoples privacy!!!!

Perhaps, on reflection I deleted that post!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

Slobbery wrote: »

Most players these days are in professional roles where very little physical work is needed. I've a feeling that Maurice has had such problems with injury because his body can't rest when tired or carrying a niggle because of the physical nature of his day job. He has undoubted potential but its hard to maintain good form when you are injured a lot of the time which must be very frustrating for him.

With a bit of good luck hopefully he'll be able to remain fit and injury free and I'm sure you will see the best of Maurice then

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭blueflame

Excellent news indeed to hear Maurice is back.

Personally I think he has plenty of pace, not necessarily a quick turn of pace, but when he gets moving he can certainly move. I think a big part of the lack of consistency on his part is management constantly trying to turn him into a full forward. I feel this tactic is based on his height and the hope that if he catches a ball he will be in on goal. Unfortunately all top class full backs are well capable of dealing with tall players under a dropping ball, and I feel Maurice struggles with that real up close and personal type of attention. When he plays at wing forward he thrives on the looser type of marking, and is able to drift into space. He is also very good at coming off the shoulder of his defender, and using the open ground to get away. As a point taker from distance, like Dan this is one of his strengths, something vital at this level.

A half forward line of Aussie, Mahony and Maurice sounds very appealing to me. Three excellent hurlers technically, all well able to move and more than capable of winning their own ball and puck outs, and all very capable of scoring from distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Complacency is the only way i can see waterford being bet in the semi final after seeing the first game... Clare threw the kitchen sink at us and to be honest they're always a confident bunch and still didn't beat us.. They can say they are missing 18 lads but they will have no one of the quality of a fully fit Patrick Curran, Colm Roche in their side. With two guns like that in your forward line it usually gets you over the line at minor once they have worker bees around them.

All our top guys have experience of playing in big games at minor level with quiet of number of squad getting experience watching on last season so id expect a lot more from this group the next day.. I really didnt think they hurled at all..

You'll always get confidence from a Clare group but it wouldnt bother me a whole pile.. If they manage to keep curran and roche quiet id be amazed but there confidence will be warranted if it works out that way.

Hopefully these top footballers are defenders so will have plenty of goals.

clare minor team that played waterford

CLARE: J Loughnane; J Arthur, S Downey, R Hayes; D Fitzgerald, D Walsh (c), J McCarthy; M O’Malley, G Whyte; I Galvin, M O’Shea, D Chaplin; P McNamara, A Shanagher, B Guilfoyle.
    Subs: C Fitzgerald for Whyte (30); C Quigley for O’Shea (52); C O’Halloran for O’Malley (inj. 56).

clare minor team that played Tipperary

CLARE: J Loughnane; C Cooney, S Downey, R Hayes; J McCarthy, D Walsh, D Fitzgerald; M O’Malley, P McNamara; C Corbett, M O’Shea, I Galvin; L O’Donovan, A Shanagher, B Guilfoyle.
    Subs: S Conway for O’Donovan (44), C Smith for O’Shea (59), D Chaplin for Corbett (59), C Fitzgerald for Guilfoyle (59), C O’Halloran for O’Malley (60).

clare had this game turned on its head even before tipp had anyone sent off

arguably the best minor hurler in the county has not played for the minors yet due to an appendix and he will go in wing back.
    clare played Dublin in a challenge in portlaoise recently and beat them. None of the starting team on that evening started the tipp match.

i think you are a bit complacent yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deise Doodler

blueflame wrote: »

Personally I think he has plenty of pace, not necessarily a quick turn of pace, but when he gets moving he can certainly move. I think a big part of the lack of consistency on his part is management constantly trying to turn him into a full forward. I feel this tactic is based on his height and the hope that if he catches a ball he will be in on goal. Unfortunately all top class full backs are well capable of dealing with tall players under a dropping ball, and I feel Maurice struggles with that real up close and personal type of attention. When he plays at wing forward he thrives on the looser type of marking, and is able to drift into space. He is also very good at coming off the shoulder of his defender, and using the open ground to get away. As a point taker from distance, like Dan this is one of his strengths, something vital at this level.

A half forward line of Aussie, Mahony and Maurice sounds very appealing to me. Three excellent hurlers technically, all well able to move and more than capable of winning their own ball and puck outs, and all very capable of scoring from distance.

Delighted to hear Maurice back training and agree totally ref his best position, always felt that he close attentions of a good( inter county) corner back dose not suit his style and is far more suited to the half forward position where he is more consistently involved in the play and less one on one attention. good man for the high ball has plenty of pace when give the chance to build up. would be a big addition if available for replay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

I think having a left handed free taker in the FF is a waste of talent, he's hard to block and get angles no one else can, in addition anyone one his size will need a run up to get to full speed ,cant do that in the FF line

CLARE: J Loughnane; J Arthur, S Downey, R Hayes; D Fitzgerald, D Walsh (c), J McCarthy; M O’Malley, G Whyte; I Galvin, M O’Shea, D Chaplin; P McNamara, A Shanagher, B Guilfoyle.
    Subs: C Fitzgerald for Whyte (30); C Quigley for O’Shea (52); C O’Halloran for O’Malley (inj. 56).

CLARE: J Loughnane; C Cooney, S Downey, R Hayes; J McCarthy, D Walsh, D Fitzgerald; M O’Malley, P McNamara; C Corbett, M O’Shea, I Galvin; L O’Donovan, A Shanagher, B Guilfoyle.
    Subs: S Conway for O’Donovan (44), C Smith for O’Shea (59), D Chaplin for Corbett (59), C Fitzgerald for Guilfoyle (59), C O’Halloran for O’Malley (60).

arguably the best minor hurler in the county has not played for the minors yet due to an appendix and he will go in wing back.
    clare played Dublin in a challenge in portlaoise recently and beat them. None of the starting team on that evening started the tipp match.

Yea that last post was pretty embarrassing to read. Im sure waterford management will have this waterford team a bit more fine tuned than that. In 2010 we beat Clare convincingly in the first round. We played them again in the final we were strong favourites but they beat us and theres nothingva given at this level.

Yea that last post was pretty embarrassing to read. Im sure waterford management will have this waterford team a bit more fine tuned than that. In 2010 we beat Clare convincingly in the first round. We played them again in the final we were strong favourites but they beat us and theres nothingva given at this level.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Brad1234

Nope going on what I've seen of both teams so far. If I had a penny for the amount of times over the year a lad out of a minor team the previous day is now the second coming I'd be a rich man. Clare people will tell you this isn't a great side and if your new players can match or better colm Roche who didn't play last day who scored 3 points average in every game last yr from centre forward and better than a barely fit Patrick curran who is the best forward in the competition well then you'll deserve to gloat.

Waterford could have about 5 changes from the last day also doesn't mean there better just gives side better continuity .

I'm sure you'll be back if Clare win seeing you've managed to dig that comment out..

Robopaddy what's embarrassing for me is a lad giving serial opinions on things followed by I haven't been to this game or that game.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

blueflame wrote: »

I'd say that management felt their hands were forced a bit. With so few ball winners in our forwards they needed someone to provide an "out" ball and Maurice's height meant he got the gig even if it wasn't his best position. I definitely agree that wing is his best option, like against Offally last year where he was sublime. If he's the main puckout target then it'll get scrappy with a lot of players around which won't suit him. But if he just gets a few high balls he'd be much happier competing one on one. I think the experience of playing full forward last year might stand to him in helping him to scrap for the ball.

Shane Walsh is the obvious one for full forward but Dillon could be very good here too reprising his Fitzgibbon role. Definitely an option if Walsh doesn't get back to full fitness.

Prendergast was funny in the match. As slow as he was he got a lot of uncontested possession by making a good run at the right time. Some of our faster players could learn a lot by watching him. Even if he didn't do much with them we were under the cosh and each time he got the ball in hand it gave the defence time to catch a breath and regroup. At the same time though his legs weren't able to get him around to put pressure on the Cork players clearing ball.

I think having a left handed free taker in the FF is a waste of talent, he's hard to block and get angles no one else can, in addition anyone one his size will need a run up to get to full speed ,cant do that in the FF line

That makes absolutely no sense, sorry but it doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

That makes absolutely no sense, sorry but it doesn't

qualify your statement please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

what difference does it make whether he is striking from the left or right side once his technique is spot on and hes confident , some of the greatest free takers of all time struck on their left side, some even like joe cooney even had what is considered the wrong hand on top of the hurley and also struck the ball from the left side, so it really does not matter, i do however maurice has had an issue in the past in quickening his strde , how ever any time i have seen his this year he has looked stronger,faster and more powerfull , i think if he can get his recent injury troubles behind him he will be invaluable to waterford for a long time to come, in a number of positions , but i prefer him close to goal as he is a natural forward, and he is a wonderfull striker, if we had a full side i would put him top of the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

If we were playing an orthodox 15 Maurice would be best placed at wing forward, but we're not playing that type of system. In the first game our corner forwards were 30 or 40 meters out the field. Put Maurice as a corner forward in that type of set up and he'll cause chaos with the space in front of him.

• Advertisement

Some win that for limerick today. Another indication that we mightened be as far away as people thought as I wouldnt consider us to be any better or worse than limerick.
    Also going to be some really hard qualifier games aswell so the direct route is the best route. Id say you could get nice odds on wexford beating dublin in a couple of weeks. Could be the surprise package this year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement