Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a feeling we will play Dublin or Galway in the first round of the qualifiers.

It's a big ask for us to beat the all Ireland runners up and the champions so id say we will be in the qualifiers.

I think Wexford could be beat us, Offaly and Antrim would be the easier teams and Laois who put it up to Galway could be tricky

The way the first round of the qualifiers works is that the 3 Munster teams and 1 Leinster team are put in one bowl and the remaining 4 Leinster teams are put in another bowl and teams are paired off into 4 matches. 3x Munster vs Leinster game and 1 all Leinster game. Round 2 involves 4 teams who will be paired off against each other and the 2 winners qualify for the quarter finals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have a feeling we will play Dublin or Galway in the first round of the qualifiers.

It's a big ask for us to beat the all Ireland runners up and the champions so id say we will be in the qualifiers.

I think Wexford could be beat us, Offaly and Antrim would be the easier teams and Laois who put it up to Galway could be tricky

The way the first round of the qualifiers works is that the 3 Munster teams and 1 Leinster team are put in one bowl and the remaining 4 Leinster teams are put in another bowl and teams are paired off into 4 matches. 3x Munster vs Leinster game and 1 all Leinster game. Round 2 involves 4 teams who will be paired off against each other and the 2 winners qualify for the quarter finals.

Are you sure thats the system? Have they taken the westmeaths and carlows out of it his year then? Thats harsh considering carlow had wexford beaten everywhere bar on the scoreboard last year.
    Its hard to predict what way a draw will go but definetly losing to cork would give us a harder qualifier draw than if we won and lost the semi. Id still draw a lot of heart looking at limericks win yesterday. Its going to be a massively wide open championship again and with more lads back from injury why should we fear anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

robopaddy wrote: »
    Are you sure thats the system? Have they taken the westmeaths and carlows out of it his year then? Thats harsh considering carlow had wexford beaten everywhere bar on the scoreboard last year.
    Its hard to predict what way a draw will go but definetly losing to cork would give us a harder qualifier draw than if we won and lost the semi. Id still draw a lot of heart looking at limericks win yesterday. Its going to be a massively wide open championship again and with more lads back from injury why should we fear anyone

Out of the round robin only the top 2 teams qualify for the All Ireland Series and they were Antrim and Laois. Carlow and London are finished for the year and westmeath will play either Kerry or Kildare in the relagation playoff.

So the 1st round of the qualifers could look like this

Bowl 1- Tipperary/Cork/Waterford/Antrim
    Bowl 2- Laois/Wexford/Offaly/Galway

Out of the round robin only the top 2 teams qualify for the All Ireland Series and they were Antrim and Laois. Carlow and London are finished for the year and westmeath will play either Kerry or Kildare in the relagation playoff.

So the 1st round of the qualifers could look like this

Bowl 1- Tipperary/Cork/Waterford/Antrim
    Bowl 2- Laois/Wexford/Offaly/Galway

Except clare in there instead of waterford #havefaithman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

robopaddy wrote: »
    Except clare in there instead of waterford #havefaithman

i noticed someone left us out , its going to be a big game who ever we play in 2 weeks time and the extra game will suite the winners of next weeks game i think , very lob sided way of working out the draw, whoever wins the semi final will guarantee themselves of an all ireland 1/4 place wheres the losers could be out of the championship before the end of june or early july

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

qualify your statement please ?

Since when do you get blocked taking frees? Lol
    An inter county hurler can strike just as good off both sides otherwise he wouldn't be an inter county hurler! The statement you made is ridiculous and makes zero sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭HillFarmer

My team for Sunday assuming a few injuries clear up.

SOK
    Connors Lawlor Coughlan
    Burke Moran Nagle
    Brick D Fives

Shane O Sull P Mahony Shanahan .
    Brian O Sull S Pender Gleeson

Assuming Shanahan is back from injury and also D Fives. Molumphy also unlucky not to start as well. Plenty of options off the bench too such as Dunford, Barry and Shane Fives for the back.

Competition is fierce for the backs especially when you have some one like Shane Fives on the bench and Daniels to come back in.

Full forward is a tough call but I'd start Pender.

Starting to get confident for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

Since when do you get blocked taking frees? Lol
    An inter county hurler can strike just as good off both sides otherwise he wouldn't be an inter county hurler! The statement you made is ridiculous and makes zero sense.

I was highlighting he was accurate, not he would be blocked taking a free,that is truly idiotic, and no one is truly as good on their bad side, good perhaps, but not as good .

playing a lefty on the wing in lieu of a righty,taking advantage of the natural curve seems obvious as will not have to move into position as much

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

You really need to take some time off the pessimistic outlook train. Its one thing predicting we'll lose, but getting yourself convinced we'll draw one of Dublin/Galway (one of which is favourite not to even be in the qualifiers) is another step altogether.

If we end up in the qualifiers we are statistically more likely to draw one of Wexford/Offaly/Antrim/Laois

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

HillFarmer wrote: »
    My team for Sunday assuming a few injuries clear up.

SOK
    Connors Lawlor Coughlan
    Burke Moran Nagle
    Brick D Fives

Shane O Sull P Mahony Shanahan .
    Brian O Sull S Pender Gleeson

Assuming Shanahan is back from injury and also D Fives. Molumphy also unlucky not to start as well. Plenty of options off the bench too such as Dunford, Barry and Shane Fives for the back.

Competition is fierce for the backs especially when you have some one like Shane Fives on the bench and Daniels to come back in.

Full forward is a tough call but I'd start Pender.

Starting to get confident for Sunday.

I'llbe surprised if Maurice plays a part next weekend full stop. Daniels is out for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

I was highlighting he was accurate, not he would be blocked taking a free,that is truly idiotic, and no one is truly as good on their bad side, good perhaps, but not as good .

playing a lefty on the wing in lieu of a righty,taking advantage of the natural curve seems obvious as will not have to move into position as much

Haha right ok

I'llbe surprised if Maurice plays a part next weekend full stop. Daniels is out for the year.

Daniels is back training though.. but dont know how far away he would be from being considered. A good bit id imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Ropaire

I'd have:

SOK
    S Fives Lawlor Connors
    Nagle Brick de Burca
    Molumphy Sully
    D Fives Mahony Gleeson
    BOS Shane Walsh Donnelly

Lads like Dillon and Moran are versatile enough to be effective impact subs early second half in a few positions. We ran out of gas 2nd half the last day and it would be nice to send on established players, a big name player in Morans case, to instill some co.fidence instead of throwing younglads in at the deep end hoping they'll stand up to it.

I'd change nothing about our approach the last day except leaving Shane Walsh inside on the edge of the square. There's goals to be had if we run at Corks defense and leaving a man inside fractures their full back line while also giving us a focal point for an out ball if we're forced to clear under pressure in defense.

Ropaire wrote: »
    I'd have:

SOK
    S Fives Lawlor Connors
    Nagle Brick de Burca
    Molumphy Sully
    D Fives Mahony Gleeson
    BOS Shane Walsh Donnelly

Lads like Dillon and Moran are versatile enough to be effective impact subs early second half in a few positions. We ran out of gas 2nd half the last day and it would be nice to send on established players, a big name player in Morans case, to instill some co.fidence instead of throwing younglads in at the deep end hoping they'll stand up to it.

I'd change nothing about our approach the last day except leaving Shane Walsh inside on the edge of the square. There's goals to be had if we run at Corks defense and leaving a man inside fractures their full back line while also giving us a focal point for an out ball if we're forced to clear under pressure in defense.

eddie barrett is not too bad, but it's nice sully got slotted in without any hard feelings

eddie barrett is not too bad, but it's nice sully got slotted in without any hard feelings

Is Eddie Barrett not out for a few weeks with injury?

Is Eddie Barrett not out for a few weeks with injury?

indeed ,he is out, leaving a space he was filling vacant meaning no one needs to be dropped, hence no hard feelings

Don't think Molumphy or Fives will start, I thin same team as the last day minus Coughlan and Barrett.

Don't think Molumphy or Fives will start, I thin same team as the last day minus Coughlan and Barrett.

The team that started the last day were excellent up to the last 15-20 minutes when the effort they put in caught up with them. It's hard to know what way to go with it. On the one hand, why disrupt a solid side thats performing? On the other hand, if there's a player that may be carrying an injury or isn't match fit does it make sense to sub them on and have to use a second sub to take them off again if the injury flares up? At least we have lads coming back from injury, it'll be hard to leave alot of lads out the way they played the last day and the fairest thing to do is prob to give them their game!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The team that started the last day were excellent up to the last 15-20 minutes when the effort they put in caught up with them. It's hard to know what way to go with it. On the one hand, why disrupt a solid side thats performing? On the other hand, if there's a player that may be carrying an injury or isn't match fit does it make sense to sub them on and have to use a second sub to take them off again if the injury flares up? At least we have lads coming back from injury, it'll be hard to leave alot of lads out the way they played the last day and the fairest thing to do is prob to give them their game!

Good point, hurling has turned into a 20 man game. Can't afford to use two subs on one player if an injury flares up.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Good point, hurling has turned into a 20 man game. Can't afford to use two subs on one player if an injury flares up.

in fairness, poor gleeson suffered for it the last day, (not the 2 subs thing,just not having them when we needed them)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Think you might see a change in the forwards. I've no inside information or anything but I just feel they might mix it up a bit. Struggled for periods of the second half so I can see them making at least one if not two changes this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Interesting to see in the examiner today that there was games played in the senior hurling championship in cork yesterday and that Shane Fives played and scored four points. Meanwhile down here in Waterford for as long as Waterford will remain in the championship we will be wrapping players up in cotton wool.

Black Suir wrote: »
    Interesting to see in the examiner today that there was games played in the senior hurling championship in cork yesterday and that Shane Fives played and scored four points. Meanwhile down here in Waterford for as long as Waterford will remain in the championship we will be wrapping players up in cotton wool.

Only games not involving Cork players were played.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Figsy32

Any games featuring Cork panelists didn't actually go ahead with the exception of Cloyne, in order to give Paudie O'Sullivan some much needed game time!

Caused a lot of controversy down here. Club players getting shafted again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

Only game that went ahead along with ballymartle vs courceys and it is a first round game we have two rounds played already. All other clubs are waiting to play a championship match in cork so you are totally wrong on this one

there has been war in cork over it with St Finbarrs the most vocal about it. They now get Damian cahalane for two days before championship after what could be week after week of inter county involvement

Shane fives was meant to be brilliant, throwing crucial points over in that game from everywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Slobbery wrote: »
    Shane fives was meant to be brilliant, throwing crucial points over in that game from everywhere

Shane Fives a potential option for the half forward line? Or maybe midfield.
    Probably too risky to try that Sunday but maybe something to consider going forward?

Cake Man wrote: »
    Shane Fives a potential option for the half forward line? Or maybe midfield.
    Probably too risky to try that Sunday but maybe something to consider going forward?

He was playing corner forward for his club last year while playing corner back for the county. Unusually versatile but I think his natural position is really around the half back line but unfortunately for him we have been well covered in that area with a good while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

indeed ,he is out, leaving a space he was filling vacant meaning no one needs to be dropped, hence no hard feelings

I think he would have preferred to be dropped, live through those hard feelings than be out injured for most of the summer, I can't see how you are making a positive out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

Brad1234 wrote: »
    Nope going on what I've seen of both teams so far. If I had a penny for the amount of times over the year a lad out of a minor team the previous day is now the second coming I'd be a rich man. Clare people will tell you this isn't a great side and if your new players can match or better colm Roche who didn't play last day who scored 3 points average in every game last yr from centre forward and better than a barely fit Patrick curran who is the best forward in the competition well then you'll deserve to gloat.

Waterford could have about 5 changes from the last day also doesn't mean there better just gives side better continuity .

I'm sure you'll be back if Clare win seeing you've managed to dig that comment out..

Robopaddy what's embarrassing for me is a lad giving serial opinions on things followed by I haven't been to this game or that game.

firstly re gloating. i was responding to a cock sure post writing off clares chances in this match on the basis of the first game and simply pointing out the evolution of the clare team. how that qualifys as gloating i am uncertain.

minor teams evolve as the year goes on thats the nature of the competition.
    previous results at 17 16 15 and 14 tend not to be that relevant as they are all blitzes effectively and size counts much more at the lower ages than it does at minor.
    also this is the first sustained campaign that lads will have been involved in which rewards players that are personally dedicated and ready to make the sacrifices over a long period

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

interesting that waterford supporters are not confident of winning this game.
    ye were the better team in the draw and have proven intercounty players such as daragh fives stephen molumphy and shane sullivan ready to come back in while cork have no options like that to come in yet no one is confident.

sure cork lads will go on about the likes of jamie coughlan and cooper but those lads are not consistant proven players in any shape or form while the waterford lads are players who have dominated their positions in different matchs over the years.

bizarre

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement