Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Discussion Thread 2013- Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

interesting that waterford supporters are not confident of winning this game.
    ye were the better team in the draw and have proven intercounty players such as daragh fives stephen molumphy and shane sullivan ready to come back in while cork have no options like that to come in yet no one is confident.

sure cork lads will go on about the likes of jamie coughlan and cooper but those lads are not consistant proven players in any shape or form while the waterford lads are players who have dominated their positions in different matchs over the years.

bizarre

It's not that bizarre. The underdog normally doesn't get a 2nd bit of the cherry.

I'm still on the fence at this stage. While we'll have lads coming back from injury and suspension, Cork will probably up their game the next day out as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Twiceasnice97

hardybuck wrote: »
    It's not that bizarre. The underdog normally doesn't get a 2nd bit of the cherry.

I'm still on the fence at this stage. While we'll have lads coming back from injury and suspension, Cork will probably up their game the next day out as well.

who says waterford are the underdog?

they have a better squad than cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Mr Paddy Power seems to be suggesting it.

Pretty much everybody. And our squad is/was razor thin at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

interesting that waterford supporters are not confident of winning this game.
    ye were the better team in the draw and have proven intercounty players such as daragh fives stephen molumphy and shane sullivan ready to come back in while cork have no options like that to come in yet no one is confident.

sure cork lads will go on about the likes of jamie coughlan and cooper but those lads are not consistant proven players in any shape or form while the waterford lads are players who have dominated their positions in different matchs over the years.

bizarre

Would it not be more bizarre to be overconfident after just one game? Cork are the team that were a few seconds away from winning an all ireland last year after all. They got promoted in the league and haven't gotten bad overnight.

If waterford fans on here were posting saying we will definitely win the replay we'd be rightly lambasted. Nobody (with the exception of pth2009) is saying we will definitely lose it. I'd describe the feeling more as cautious optimism and general happiness with the progress already been shown

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Horseboxhead

i think everyone in waterford bar maybe everyone involved with the team and squad is not too sure how sunday will go, I thought we would lose the first day by 5/6 points, and was delighted to be proven wrong.
    Now i am a little more confident, as some of the younger guy's really stepped up, and p mahoney has shown that he is now a leader with kevin moran, brick, connors , and Lawlor so we have that bit of experience too, and we have more experience and leadership coming back, like D fives and Molumphy, so we have to be more optimistic.
    Everybody is saying that this game is all about Cork, if they Improve, if their forwards click, if they show the form ect ect, but it all depends on if you believe that they overperformed last year, to get to [and should have won] an All Ireland final, i think they are a bit better than the first half the last day, and not as good as they looked when our forwards and midfield ran out of gas in the third quarter of the game two weeks ago, and i also happen to believe if the Waterford side line were less busy in who they took off and put on [a slight criticism but overall Derek and his team came up in my estimation from the league] we could have managed that slide a little bit better, I also happen to believe that next sunday is not about Cork and is probably more about Waterford's performence, if we take it to cork again, like Limerick did to tipp and maintain it with removing players who even if they have performed well are knackerd we have more leadership than this current cork side, again we will have to rely on P mahoney showing ice cold nerves and ball winning ability, and again showing a maturity and confidence to run at cork, target their full back more than what we did last day and win alot of dirty ball without fouling i think we have a very good chance,instead of pointing towards a cork win, its far more about how confident Waterford are that they can complete the job, Waterford by two points, in a cracker.

While on the one hand you'd be hoping that the young lads will take a lot from the last day, we shouldn't be expecting the same from them again. They'll be more closely marked, and we must take the pressure off them if at all possible anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

While I think plans might be made for Austin Gleeson, I generally never understand the mindset of theyll be more carefully watched the next day. What self respecting team would go out and think to themselves that there are three or four players that they can just forget about it. Think it's either a lazy analysis or taking cautious optimism too far. I expect Cork to up their game, the challenge for them is to up it more than a Waterford side who are getting players back and those that made the last day sharper and fitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Unless Darragh Fives is 100% fit and ready for action, I wouldn't have him anywhere near the pitch on Sunday. This is a guy with unreal talent but the last few years he's been very injury plagued.....with Sully, Molumphy, Donnelly and maybe Maurice and Jamie Barron back on Sunday....there's no reason to rush Fives back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭Slobbery

hardybuck wrote: »
    While on the one hand you'd be hoping that the young lads will take a lot from the last day, we shouldn't be expecting the same from them again. They'll be more closely marked, and we must take the pressure off them if at all possible anyway.

Don't think Cork didn't have a plan for the debutants the last day, of course they did. Cork wanted to hit them hard to blow them away from the start before they confidence, to suffocate the life out of them before they got confidence or grew into the game, but the lads survived hopefully they will show their quality again

• Advertisement

Team for Sunday

WD - OKeeffe, De Burca,Lawlor, Connors, Nagle, Ml Walsh, Fives, S OSullivan, Moran, Dunford, Dillon, Mahony, S Walsh, B OSullivan, Gleeson

• Registered Users Posts: 35 deisedoz

KevIRL wrote: »
    Team for Sunday

WD - OKeeffe, De Burca,Lawlor, Connors, Nagle, Ml Walsh, Fives, S OSullivan, Moran, Dunford, Dillon, Mahony, S Walsh, B OSullivan, Gleeson

Would be happy with that team, only one enforced change and to be fair Coughlan was just too loose last time out to merit starting again. Good to have some options on the bench like Molumphy, Seamus, Foley and Darragh Fives but I believe management are right to keep these guys in reserve and give the younger lads another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

How fit is Brian O Halloran? Normally for someone who's been out as long as him I'd say he's not going to be sharp but he showed last year after a longer layoff that he can perform

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deise_2012

Is Ryan Donnelly named on the bench?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭blue note

KevIRL wrote: »
    Team for Sunday

Which 5s?

blue note wrote: »
    Which 5s?

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'm happy with that team named, think it's as strong as we could put out. Good options on the bench too.

I'd say they'll line out as:

SOK
    Fives-Lawlor-Connors
    Tadhg-Moran-Nagle
    Brick-SOS
    Dillon-Paudie-Aussie
    BOS-Shane Walsh-Dunford

With the forwards interchanging like the last day.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Strong bench on Sunday aswell if called upon- Shan,Molumphy, Barry,Barron,Donnelly,Foley,Prendergast x2 Breathnach Darragh Fives,O Halloran. Feeling slightly more confident now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

How fit is Brian O Halloran? Normally for someone who's been out as long as him I'd say he's not going to be sharp but he showed last year after a longer layoff that he can perform

Did he? He lasted about 15 mins against clare in the championship and that was it for another year. Id have my doubts about him at this stage. The lad has been injured more than hes been fit since hes come out minor level. Thats a lot of hurling missed at what are crucial stages of a players career in terms of development. Hes on the panel this year but as you say how fit is he? Not enough to play obviously. I know he has probably worked really hard over the years to get fit but at this stage if i was mcgeath id release him back to his club for a while and let him build his confidence back up. Weve plenty forwards at the moment I know hes a talented lad but I think theres too much emphasis on getting him right in the short time and maybe its time to look at the bigger picture and take the heat off him fotr a while

Hard to argue with the team selected. One change was forced and the other an obvious one.
    Interesting too see if the crowd who allegedly stayed away last week due to the team that was selected (so were led to beleive) will do so again considering that it is give or take the same team bar a couple

• Advertisement

While I think plans might be made for Austin Gleeson, I generally never understand the mindset of theyll be more carefully watched the next day. What self respecting team would go out and think to themselves that there are three or four players that they can just forget about it. Think it's either a lazy analysis or taking cautious optimism too far. I expect Cork to up their game, the challenge for them is to up it more than a Waterford side who are getting players back and those that made the last day sharper and fitter.

OK - well we'll see how things pan out. We often see it with players who've a brilliant debut season, followed by being marked men the following year and struggling to make the same impact.

robopaddy wrote: »
    Did he? He lasted about 15 mins against clare in the championship and that was it for another year. Id have my doubts about him at this stage. The lad has been injured more than hes been fit since hes come out minor level. Thats a lot of hurling missed at what are crucial stages of a players career in terms of development. Hes on the panel this year but as you say how fit is he? Not enough to play obviously. I know he has probably worked really hard over the years to get fit but at this stage if i was mcgeath id release him back to his club for a while and let him build his confidence back up. Weve plenty forwards at the moment I know hes a talented lad but I think theres too much emphasis on getting him right in the short time and maybe its time to look at the bigger picture and take the heat off him fotr a while

He was outstanding in the league and for Mary I last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Hamstrings59

I really don't rate Shane fives I hope he proves me wrong though. They will have to tell Connors to follow Horgan, Horgan didn't hit a ball til he went out to the wing the last day and he looked upset, Connors is the best man marker we have. If not, Connors should be detailed on Cadogan, can't see young Cadogan playing as well again, hopefully!
    Would be gear to beat Cork, they're arrogance never ceases to amaze me, they are very average and Waterford have better hurlers throughout and a better bench, the championship is wide open, Clare are the team to beat but anyone can be beaten on the day. deise abu

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anyone else sitting in section 209 of the old stand. ??

Hopefully Cork wont come out flying.

204 for me again. Season ticket not getting as good a location seat wise as last year it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

From FACEBOOK!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Waterford-GAA-Supporters-Club-Dublin/179978495401923?ref=hl

Waterford GAA SC Dublin will host our AGM/Social evening in the historical GAA Museum, Croke Park this Thursday the 5th of June. at 7pm followed by refreshments at 8pm. We would be delighted to welcome members, new members, family and friends with an interest in Waterford GAA. SPECIAL GUEST on the night is Waterford Legend TONY BROWNE who will be presented with an award to thank him for his services to Deise hurling. PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD. ALL WELCOME.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭seananigans

109 for me woot woot, not like the stupid last time where i forgot my ticket and had to use the ones i won in a comp in poxy new stand

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

WATERFORD SUPPORTERS CLUB, DUBLIN

AGM and Social Evening

Tomorrow evening June 5th

Venue: GAA Museum, Croke Park

Special guest: Tony Browne

Business begins 7 pm followed by presentation and refreshments from 8pm.

All Waterford supporters welcome to attend. Come along and pay tribute to one of the Déise's greatest ever hurlers. Great opportunity to discuss Sunday's replay against Cork.

Parking available behind the Cusack stand at museum entrance (via St James's Avenue off Clonliffe Road).

Annual golf day – Sat 14th June

Our annual golf day will be held on Saturday 14th June at the spectacular setting of Palmerstown House Estate, Johnstown, Co. Kildare (just off the Naas Road). Fourball team event at a cost of €400 to include golf, dinner and prizes. Individual entries available for €100. Alternatively sponsor a personal or corporate tee box at a cost of €100. The Tee is booked from 1.40pm through to 3.30pm . Contact Craig Duignan (craigduignan@icloud) or Eddie McCarthy (emccarth@eircom.net) for more information.

He was outstanding in the league and for Mary I last year.

To say he was outstanding is stretching it. He showed up well in a few games but anonymous enough in a few other games.

• Advertisement

robopaddy wrote: »
    To say he was outstanding is stretching it. He showed up well in a few games but anonymous enough in a few other games.

I'm going to disagree. He was the only forward to score in every game despite being played in a deep half forward position throughout. The only exception to this may have been the Tipperary game as I missed it due to club commitments. However from the reports it seems to have been consistent.

His main role was to pick up breaks and attack from deep and he did it superbly. He could have easily been a scoring forward (as proved by his return) but unfortunately as Paudie Mahony was out of sorts there was a total lack of half forward options.

By definition I'm not sure how anybody could be "anonymous enough". The only day he was ineffective was against Clare but the decision to play him was ludicrous. How many forwards do Waterford have available that are superior to him?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement